It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Largest Sun Spot this Solar Cycle is emerging

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   
NEW SUNSPOT: A sunspot is emerging over the sun's northeastern limb, and it appears to be one of the largest of the new solar cycle. This composite image from NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory shows the sunspot's dark core (inset) and plumes of plasma shooting up from the active region

www.spaceweather.com...

So far we have had some good size spots this cycle but i guess this one is bigger. NASA still does not know the magnitude of this spot because it’s still developing and coming around to face earth.

As I recall off the top of my head I remember a month or so ago we had a nice size sun spot with a 50% chance of throwing a M class CME and a 5% chance of a X class CME. As the Cycle Develops it will be intrusting to see how things workout.

End Times in 2013 at solor max maximum? you decide!

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by camaro68ss

yea wasnt the whole EMP storm in the 1800's caused by a solar flare that was caused by a sun spot?
edit on 2-12-2010 by machines4200 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by machines4200

O yes, it knocked out all the telegraph lines. It was so large that the barbwire that was wrapped around wood post were conducting electricity and catching the wood posts on fire.

Major stuff.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   
cant wait to see how this goes. Keep us posted!!!

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Thanks for the update - I always keep an eye on solar activity!

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   
The new images of the sun looks like there is a face on the face of the sun. Reminds me of the end time Mayan prophecy where they talk about the face of the sun being extinguished by a great temptress.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   

edit on 9-12-2010 by xalaran because: double post

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   
we are entering a solar maximum it is a 11-12 year cycle of activity we are actually a little overdue for the change from minimum

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Latest SOHO EIT 284 Image:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/db2f30ee0ad6.jpg[/atsimg]

sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov...
edit on 12/9/2010 by this_is_who_we_are because: typo

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   
The sun is smiling!

edit on 12/9/2010 by this_is_who_we_are because: emoticon

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by camaro68ss

first of all, that must be a huge area on the sun to actually be able to be seen in a photograph taken on earth!

i'm no scientist about the whole mass ejection stuff and solar winds whatnot, but i'd be interested to read some information on the subject like how sunspots are created, just what they are, and what they do, it's probably worth reading into, maybe you could find me some links and information on all that so i could have a crash course on the subject?

also, never heard of the emp blast of the 1800s but it sounds pretty intense, i have a few questions about that as well do you think you could lead me in the direction of that story as well? sorry to ask for so much, i did a quick google search for the emp thing of the 1800s and actually didn't come up with anything just a link to this thread on ats actually haha, thanks for the post and hopefully the response to mine here

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by indigothefish

The largest recorded geomagnetic perturbation, resulting presumably from a CME, coincided with the first-observed solar flare, on 1 September 1859, and now referred to as the solar storm of 1859. The flare was independently observed by R. C. Carrington and R. Hodgson. The geomagnetic storm was observed with the recording magnetograph at Kew Gardens. The same instrument recorded a crotchet, an instantaneous perturbation of the Earth's ionosphere by ionizing soft X-rays. This could not easily be understood at the time because it predated the discovery of X-rays by Röntgen and the recognition of the ionosphere by Kennelly and Heaviside.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by indigothefish

yeah no problem, this is a fun read.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   
thanks, both of you guys, that is a real interesting story, not trying to derail the original post topic, but really i hadn't heard of that story! that's some intense stuff

i remember in 2007 i read a news article stating that 2012 would bring an intense solar cycle heres a link to another article basically describing the same thing.. so anyways with the sight of this 'huge' ( and in my 'not so expert in this feild' knowledge i'm descibing it as being huge ) perhaps we are just starting to see the beginning of some big storms from our sun? perhaps we'll have another event like the solar storm of 1859?
edit on 12/9/2010 by indigothefish because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 11:02 PM
link   
I´ve actually taken video from that same sunspot, I couldn't believe it at first but , hey this confirms my find, I´ll upload it to youtube and link it back or something!

thanks for the news OP

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Here's a great site I stumbled upon a while back. for your enjoyment:

www.solarcycle24.com...

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Here's an example of some of the great photos and info on the above mentioned site:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0f69b9db22b0.jpg[/atsimg]
www.solarcycle24.com...

new topics

top topics

join