It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA ANNOUNCEMENT

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   
It's about a bacteria substituting phosphorus with arsenic, in a lake near Yosemite in California....

It really opens up perspective for finding for different types of life in the universe and fellow solar system planets...

Gotta tell ya, for a moment there i was keeping fingers crossed...

Silly rabbit, trix is for kidz

cj6

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   
That is a life changing announcement!!

EPIC FAIL!!! next lol

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   
And another big disapointment!

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by cj6
That is a life changing announcement!!

EPIC FAIL!!! next lol

What he said.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by shasa
It's about a bacteria substituting phosphorus with arsenic, in a lake near Yosemite in California....

Heh...the same bacteria that resides in the brains of all NASA scientists. Kick them all in the balls.

cj6

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by shasa

It really opens up perspective for finding for different types of life in the universe and fellow solar system planets...

Thank u NASA, because of that announcement life on this planet will never be the same!!

A bacteria substituting phosphorus with arsenic is exactly what we need to change the world for the better!!

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Thread already started HERE

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Wow. I think the real disappointment is the people who think the only thing worth announcing is contact with ambassadors from the intergalactic space government.

This is actually pretty amazing news.

cj6

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Croda

Explain exactly why and how this is "amazing" news and in detail please...

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Fiction-writers, futurists, dreamers and anyone who has followed biological science, especially in the realms of the abyssal oceans and arctic/antarctic climes have already known about extremophiles and various other "abnormal" types of life for years now.

We'll never have one of these hyped up announcements that leads to anything more than being told what we already know or could know with the smallest bit of research. And I'm not just being cynical, look at the history.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   
It was funny how FOX news just cut them off and basically said AHHHHHHH!

And went on with the daily news.

The Fox news lady "megan" I believe, said, How old is that girl? 14?

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   
They are just setting the stage. This "parallel lifeforce" has been out for years in the science and SF field. So why give the idea 20 minutes of primetime now? You watch, they are going to start finding "things" living underground in the near future because all of a sudden they have a new way of looking at life.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   

"It is the first time in the history of biology that there's been anything found that can use one of the different elements in the basic structure," says Paul Davies, the director of BEYOND: Center for Fundamental Concepts in Science at Arizona State University in Tempe, Arizona.

www.space.com...

First times in history are usually worth talking about. This changes the parameters of how we look for life in the galaxy.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   
should of just announced it on the discovery channel or something.. why NASA is involved i have no clue. Maybe they're using that to blind us from something theyre really doin?

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Croda

"It is the first time in the history of biology that there's been anything found that can use one of the different elements in the basic structure," says Paul Davies, the director of BEYOND: Center for Fundamental Concepts in Science at Arizona State University in Tempe, Arizona.

www.space.com...

First times in history are usually worth talking about. This changes the parameters of how we look for life in the galaxy.

more from the same link. maybe this helps reinforce the importance of the discovery.

"The discovery of an organism that can use arsenic to build its cellular components may indicate that life can form in the absence of large amounts of available phosphorous, thus increasing the probability of finding life elsewhere," he said. "This finding expands our understanding of the conditions under which life can thrive, and possibly originate, thereby increasing our understanding of the distribution of life on Earth and the potential habitats for life elsewhere in the solar system."

In case you're not impressed yet, here's a quick refresher:

The DNA molecule is shaped like a spiral ladder. The "rungs" of the ladder are comprised of pairs of nucleotides, which spell out the genetic instructions of life. The sides of the DNA ladder, referred to as its backbone, are long chains of alternating sugar and phosphate molecules. A phosphate molecule contains five atoms: one of phosphorus, four of oxygen. No phosphorus, no phosphate. No phosphate, no backbone. No backbone, no DNA. No DNA, no life.

GFAJ-1 apparently didn't read the manual.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by shasa

Totally unbelievable!!! I'm totally P***ed off now. That's official.
Funding should be totally stopped and paid back for what they have or should I say haven't done.

I was expecting major announcements and what do we get?

I'd rather know about the new organisms in gulf of mexico after the spill.
Total joke and epic fail by NASA.
N - No
A - Answers
S - seriously
A - announced

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Same old crap from NASA. Every time the economy hits the pooper and people start eyeballing the worthlessness of the organization, NASA makes a groundbreaking discovery (remember the now silent mars meteorite)...

All this finding proves is that scientists were wrong in their assumptions, and that there are still many undiscovered things about planet Earth. So since a bacteria was found on EARTH that feeds on arsenic, this must mean that life exists on other planets. Do they not teach logical mathematics in school anymore? All this discovery is going to do is open the door wide for every stupid non thought out theory so that the tax payer can spend billions on a dead end. For shame

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by cj6

Explain exactly why and how this is "amazing" news and in detail please...

This to me expands the possibility of ET life by many folds. We no longer limit ourselves to look for life only on earth-like environments.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by TinkererJim

Beings they have yet to discover any earth like environments, the sky is the limit.

Just like I said in my previous post, now NASA can justify spending billions to crash probes into any planet, moon, asteroid, star etc.

Here is a theory for NASA, alien life exists, but we just can't see it nor detect it. Give me millions to develop a device so that we can.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   
This is what NASA said in the news article where they accounced the press conference:

"WASHINGTON -- NASA will hold a news conference at 2 p.m. EST on Thursday, Dec. 2, to discuss an astrobiology finding that will impact the search for evidence of extraterrestrial life. Astrobiology is the study of the origin, evolution, distribution and future of life in the universe."

And the ramifications of the discovery will indeed, exactly like NASA said, have an impact on the SEARCH for evidence of ET life.

The flip side of the coin, what the media was shouting: "NASA to announce extra terrestrial life forms!"

Oh the torment of self inflicted disappointment. Really it's your own fault if you're so hugely disappointed now, because you were probably expecting a hi-def photo of an actual ghost goblin or perhaps a live feed from the emperor of the galactic federation.
edit on 2-12-2010 by famalhut because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join