It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vladimir Putin: Ratify START or Russia Builds Nuclear Weapons

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Vladimir Putin: Ratify START or Russia Builds Nuclear Weapons

www.thirdage.com

Vladimir Putin has warned that if the US Senate does not ratify the START nuclear weapons treaty, Russia will build its nuclear capability.

Putin makes it clear that building their weapons is not a threat, but it is what is expected to happen if the treaty does not get pushed through.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 2-12-2010 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Well this sound a bit blackmailish. Correct me if I'm wrong here but doesn't Russia already have a larger Nuclear stockpile?

I agree there should be an agreement between the two but to try to push it through in this manner and wording? I hope there are cool heads on capital hill. This sounds like Putin is confused between how he rules in the East vs how some delicate situations require a little bit more of a diplomatic touch.

www.thirdage.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Wooo hooo..This is awesome for the economy...Let the race begin......It's going to come to another game of who's got the biggest set of brass cajones !!!!

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Fox Molder

Ahh if it was only that simple.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   

That's all good & fine until we have another Cuban Missile Crisis unfold.

Talk to an older person & ask them how deathly afraid they were about the bomb dropping. I'm sure you've all seen the fear campaign flicks from back then.

Duck and Cover, a happy & catchy little tune geared for the kiddies, was one such "social guidance film" produced in 1951.

ETA: S&F Slayer! My feelings on the whole deal are with yours.
edit on 2-12-2010 by susp3kt because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Not only if START isn't ratified but also if Russia doesn't join the missile shield.

Russia isn't stupid.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Ahh if it was only that simple.

Oh...I know...I was just being over enthusiastic .....LOL

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Wasn't it just yesterday that ole Vladimir Putin warned the US to stay out of their Russian Mafia deal???
Now he pulls this???

Maybe he's taken a page out of Old Kim Jong's book and is now making idle threats to get concessions out of the UN???

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   
That's such an empty threat! OMG, Russia will build nukes!!!!

Oh ya, they already have enough nuclear weapons and delivery systems to destroy the entire world and have had them for longer than I've been alive.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I say let them build more....

Why not, between the US and Russia we both have enough to vaporize the other ten times over. After the first wave that incinerates everything whats the point of 9 or 10 more waves? If they want to spend billions on more fine by me.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   
It's more about building a next generation fleet of nuclear weapons. US is focusing on tactical prospects, Russia is working on "heavier" explosions (along with new generations of ICBMs).

And really, who is the aggressor here? Russia didn't drop out of most of the nuclear weapons treaties, the US did. Russia is only do what it has to do to maintain their ability to strike back against an American first strike. It's been like this since the Americans deployed Neptune nuclear missiles in Europe before the Cuban Missile Crisis.

The world is not stupid. The US is the only country that has ever nuked anyone, has been using depleted uranium radiological weapons for decades, and is prospecting to build more of these weapons of mass destruction. The hypocrisy is overwhelming.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by pirhanna
That's such an empty threat! OMG, Russia will build nukes!!!!

Yep, lol. Think putin is smarter than that.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi
Russia is only do what it has to do to maintain their ability to strike back against an American first strike. It's been like this since the Americans deployed Neptune nuclear missiles in Europe before the Cuban Missile Crisis.

You don't really buy that garbage you try to sell do you?

Russia already has a 20% larger nuclear stockpile than the US, more missiles, more delivery systems. What are you trying to push here anyway? Whose to say it inst the other way around. I know you tote the "Russian line" in all your posts but come on Dimitri. You can't be that gung-ho or blind. Give us a break. Russia has more nukes than is necessary. How many times can they vaporize Washington or NY?

Now they are saying they will build more?

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

You are right. But what is Russia to do, sit on their hands with their superior nuclear weapon force while the Americans build up theirs?

The Americans are already looking to develop a 6th generation fighter, when the only other non-American 5th generation fighter is the Sukhoi T-50. Is the US going to stop developing new fighter technology while everyone else catches up? Nope, and nuclear weapons are the aces in the games that superpowers play.

And yes I do tote Russia a lot. It's my opinion. At least I'm not like most idiots who say "US cn destry the wrld a millon X overs becuz we hav enuff nukes to rival Erths rotation"

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   
That Sukhoi T-50 is an awesome looking piece ain't it!!! To bad is a part copy of the F-22. But I really like the Sukhoi T-50 better myself. I don't know if it will able to compete with the F-35 as it's supposed to be able to do but it will however be far ahead of the two dinosaurs it will replace.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fox Molder
That Sukhoi T-50 is an awesome looking piece ain't it!!! To bad is a part copy of the F-22. But I really like the Sukhoi T-50 better myself. I don't know if it will able to compete with the F-35 as it's supposed to be able to do but it will however be far ahead of the two dinosaurs it will replace.

T-50 is most certainly not a copy of the F-22

And F-35 is not even close. F-35 is a one-engine tactical "joint strike fighter", T-50 and F-22 are air supremacy fighters. The only comparisons between the F-35 and T-50 is that both are stealthy and have carrier-based versions planned.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

I always like the YF-23 better myself. Too bad it lost the contract.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Putin is completely justified in making these statements as he explains in his interview with Larry King (2nd video)
Vladimir Putin's Interview at Larry King Live

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   
"That's all good & fine until we have another Cuban Missile Crisis unfold."
russia was not the agressor in the cuban missile crisis, the usa put nukes in turkey and italy, aimed at russia first. the deal that was made saw these missiles removed in return for the missiles to be removed from cuba.
Castro was scared of America and saying no to the russians would have been a disasterous move for the cuban people as the cuban russian allegence was probably the sole reason why the USA did not succesfully invade Cuba during the cold war.

edit on 2-12-2010 by lewman because: lack of comma could have left it confusing

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   
That's true.
no argument there.

But also realize after the Soviet collapse and while Russia was recovering the US still honored it's agreements with the old Soviet union and left Cuba alone.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join