It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange flashing light beside Jupiter. What is it?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I just stumbled upon this video taken last night. It shows some mysterious flashing beam of light beside Jupiter, not just a flashing light but more of a directed light beam directed from top to bottom. It looks to be about 1:00 in proximity to the planet in the beginning, but moves to be more directly overhead towards the end of the clip.

This to me, would make it seem as if the flashing light is stationary in orbit.
Take a look, I would like to hear your thoughts.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
S+F!

I'm dying to hear some thoughts on this. It could be being filmed inside, with glass between the camera and Jupiter and the flashing light is behind the filmer and reflecting, but, I wasn't there, so, it's just a guess as usual.

Kinda creepy, though.
Cuhail

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by FlySolo

Pretty cool, I dont think it's "by jupiter" though, far more likely to be in our own atmosphere but just in the right place to nearly line up with it, still couldnt tell you what it is though, very mysterious! Great post!

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by FlySolo

maybe starwars trying to knock some discs outta the sky

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by arise91

That's what I was thinking. It's only in-line with Jupiter but you can see how it appears above Jupiter as time goes by as the earth rotates.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   
The pulse rate was very steady. It was some kind of strobe on an aircraft reflecting off of the clouds I think. Looks to be a slow moving aircraft at about 9000-12000 feet. Maybe a single engine aircraft and it is moving in line with the observer.

A white navigation light is as far aft as possible on the tail or each wing tip.[3] High-intensity strobe lights are located on the aircraft to aid in collision avoidance.[4]

Source

edit on 2-12-2010 by wayouttheredude because: added link

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by wayouttheredude

In the first minute it doesn't move and the flash moves between two clouds. A jet at the height would have already gone past quickly enough. I don't think it's a strobe from a plane.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by FlySolo

lex parsimoniae, I think Occam's Razor applies to this argument very well, if there are a number of explanations for observed phenomena, the simplest explanation is preferred.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by wayouttheredude
reply to post by FlySolo

lex parsimoniae, I think Occam's Razor applies to this argument very well, if there are a number of explanations for observed phenomena, the simplest explanation is preferred.

I can agree to Occam's Razor, but not this time. At 2:18 the clouds have completely passed and yet there is still a flash at 2:19. Two full minutes along with a minor cut after the 1 min mark brings this to at least 2.5 minutes of footage. And the flash has only moved a degree or two.

Seeing there are no clouds now at this point, it can't possibly be a strobe glare as you suggested

edit on 2-12-2010 by FlySolo because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Very strange indeed.

I dont think it has anything to do with Jupiter, it seems to be in the Earth atmosphere. I don't think its a plane either, it look far to bright even if it were reflecting off of the clouds it seems far to bright.

Maybe its some sort of atmospheric phenomenom?

Peace.
ALS

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   

No, white Nav lights don't flash. White strobes do, but at a faster rate.

This was a light source, on the ground somewhere nearby the cameraman. What is most likely (and could be checked out, if the camera was set up near an airport) is an airport rotating beacon.

The rate of flash is about right...I counted about four seconds. A civilian airport beacon is green/white. Military is green, and TWO quick, successive whites. A seaport is yellow/white.

Flashing rates

24 to 30 per minute for beacons marking airports, landmarks, and points on Federal airways

en.wikipedia.org...

"30 per minute" means once about every two seconds. green (two seconds) white (two seconds (green)...so, in between the whites, about four seconds.

Decades of experience flying, you get to recognize these flashing patterns, instinctively.

edit on 2 December 2010 by weedwhacker because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   
The flash occurs at precisely once every 6 seconds throughout the video clip. This indicates to me that it is a strobe as that is a common flash rate. See this product spec page for a number of strobes.

www.roughgear.com...

They pretty much all use 10 flashes per minute. That is pretty conclusive for me.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker

No, white Nav lights don't flash. White strobes do, but at a faster rate.

This was a light source, on the ground somewhere nearby the cameraman. What is most likely (and could be checked out, if the camera was set up near an airport) is an airport rotating beacon.

The rate of flash is about right...I counted about four seconds. A civilian airport beacon is green/white. Military is green, and TWO quick, successive whites. A seaport is yellow/white.

Flashing rates

24 to 30 per minute for beacons marking airports, landmarks, and points on Federal airways

en.wikipedia.org...

"30 per minute" means once about every two seconds. green (two seconds) white (two seconds (green)...so, in between the whites, about four seconds.

Decades of experience flying, you get to recognize these flashing patterns, instinctively.

Thanks for that, I was trying to find the flashing intervals online too but to no avail. However, counted about 5 seconds between flashes. Still too slow for beacons according your source though.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   
I dont know but it does appear to flicker every 8 seconds, so it could be something artifical reflecting in the window or a cell tower or bluebeam tryout

edit on 12/2/10 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by wayouttheredude
The flash occurs at precisely once every 6 seconds throughout the video clip. This indicates to me that it is a strobe as that is a common flash rate. See this product spec page for a number of strobes.

www.roughgear.com...

They pretty much all use 10 flashes per minute. That is pretty conclusive for me.

That's close, but still, the visibility is 5 miles and I assume pointed directly at you. This flash is pointing up/down and the end point is high above the ground. I'm not seeing it streak from ground level.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by FlySolo

4-5 seconds, close enough. The FAA standards are what they recommend. Meaning, individual airport facilities may vary, depending on the equipment. It isn't "precise".

BTW....I didn't listen with sound (if there is any). IS THIS made (filmed) in the USA? Location?

All that info would help. Also, the YouTube poster could be emailed and asked??
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ETA: went to look after writing post. Reading the UTube comments, it was filmed in location Fresno, CA.

(I will try to check my "enthusiasm", also....once I saw the UTube username?? Let's say, I have never been impressed with ANY of the crap posted by this person....)

So...Fresno. I'll take a look at some aeronautical charts, and see how many airports I can spot in the vicinity...besides the major commercial airport that serves that city, of course...FAT (Fresno Air Terminal).

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

Yes there is sound. At one point he has another fellow with him claiming he couldn't see it. I suppose I could try and email him seeing I posted the the thread and the responsibility lies with me.

Edit to add:
First comment on the youtube page says this was no where near an airport
edit on 2-12-2010 by FlySolo because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by FlySolo

At one point he has another fellow with him claiming he couldn't see it.

That strongly suggests a lens anomaly, from an external (Earth-based) regularly flashing light source. An airport came to my mind immediately, because I've seen such things before. The other idea is certainly plausible (IF any 'emergency flasher beacon' were nearby??).

You can look at a VFR Sectional Chart for the Fresno area, as I have just done. Click skyvector.com...

When the page loads, look upper left corner, type KFAT (the four digit ICAO code for Fresno Airport) in the box, click "Go".

The airports with control towers are in blue, the ones in magenta are uncontrolled (but, even the uncontrolled airports have rotating beacons). I count at least six public, small airports, in the vicinity. NOW...where does this guy live? That is the next question......is he near any of those smaller airports? Or, FAT itself??

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Anyone noticed the star shaped light quickly appearing and disappearing again, like it was flying away in the bottom left corner at about 2.30, what is that? I was thinking UFO, since Jupiter doesn't move but that star quickly moves in front of the camera in then suddenly away, so can't see how it could be quick camera movements when jupiter remained in the center of the picture. But i'm no expert at all, just thought it was funny. He did however metioned a satelite, but have never seen a satelite move so fast...
edit on 2-12-2010 by JokerzReality because: Thick hands

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by JokerzReality
Anyone noticed the star shaped light quickly appearing and disappearing again, like it was flying away in the bottom left corner at about 2.30, what is that? I was thinking UFO, since Jupiter doesn't move but that star quickly moves in front of the camera in then suddenly away, so can't see how it could be quick camera movements when jupiter remained in the center of the picture. But i'm no expert at all, just thought it was funny. He did however metioned a satelite, but have never seen a satelite move so fast...
edit on 2-12-2010 by JokerzReality because: Thick hands

Thats just him zooming out and in at the time. Looks like something speeding up but its only an illusion

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join