It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are Aliens Among Us? Sort of, NASA Says

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 05:32 PM
link   
This is the NASA' incredible news????????

No. Really?????

So: Billions dollars budgets to this stupid and OLD NEWS?

Bacteria lives in the most terrible hells and incredible environment FROM ALWAYS!!! This is known even by my little cousin of seven years old!

And this is the stupid DISCOVERY??? No. REALLY???

And NASA has never searched other different possible live forms, different from our earthling biological/chemical composition on other planets (MARS, VENUS; etc. etc) or others moons (TITAN; RHEA; ENCELADUS, etc... etc...) in our Solar System?

NO. Really!?????

Disgust!

NASA: SHAME ON YOU!

We are in the hands of a bunch of fools!!!!!

edit on 2-12-2010 by Arken because: Add mi huge disgust!

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
I honestly think that the bulk of NASA employees are in the dark.

I agree, that is why many NASA addresses show up on my in box and viewing my website
One asked me to remove the x-file theme from my page as it was embarrassing when he viewed my page at Johnston space center.

Now about this Arsenic Bug... it was found in California’s Mono Lake, not on Mars or the Moon or even Titan

Wikipedia already had it released Oct 2010

en.wikipedia.org...

Oh and if you come across an Arsenic based life form, I would suggest not eating it. May be bad for your health. Though Rasputin seems to have been okay with it

edit on 2-12-2010 by zorgon because: Why? WHY must this be filled out? Makes NO SENSE! WHO REALLY CARES?

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

out of the potentially billions upon billions of advanced alien races in the universe...

have even a single one of them figured out how to get past the speed of light issue...because if only a single race has ever managed to go FTL, then suddenly, like a advanced genetic virus pandemic, the universe is absolutely filled with space travellers.

If you go by that line of thinking...and to me, that sounds highly reasonable, then it would be almost insane to believe that there are no aliens visiting earth...or at minimum, know full well of our existance

Very good points you make, IMO. I think for the most part that humans tend to overvalue our contribution or importance. Perhaps we're just not interesting enough or advanced enough to warrant anything other than a notation in an EBE database that is nothing more than an intergalactic 'meh'.

I think this announcement was hyped by NASA, and they LOVE the CT world's buzz. Why not just make an announcement? Why make an announcement of a pending announcement? Is their funding in danger?

I think the study and its implications are potentially important. We are on the cusp of discerning evidence for entire systemic changes that we haven't imagined -- possibilities of life in what would be extremes to us. How about life that can thrive in extreme temperatures, such as the surface of Mercury? Could an arsenic-based creature exist, and what would we call that chemistry? Not organic chem.

I wish NASA would just lay their cards on the table. I can't help feeling that this is about funding and grants more than studies of life an the cosmos.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Intelearthling

I am honored to be commented on by Intelearthlingr. His tone and substance are very considered and appreciated. He points out the wider context of how we might define life and that life might exist in many diiferent and as yet unthought of environments both physical, chemical, electro-magnetic, etc.

I liked to throw at my students in the late 70's that in some solid quartzites in which defects in perfect crystallinity are found, the equlibria ratios between holes (positive charge, or positrons, eg) in the crystal arrays and the displaced electrons (negatively charged) are within a magnitude of the homologous H+/OH- water-based equilibrium constant that is the basis of our, human, metabolism.

This has given me much enjoyment over the decades to ponder and mentally play with as I envisioned ghostlike electro-entities gliding effortlessly through solid (or even semi-molten lavas) on distant worlds ... or even in intersstellar plasma communities sailing peacefully among the galaxies. I hope it gives similar tickles to those who read this factoid for the first time.
edit on 2-12-2010 by havanaja because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroGhost
For those who where waiting for an announcement of alien life, sorry, but it takes more than 3 sentances at least to see how important this is.

Don't care about Arsenic Bugs
Wanna see the ones flying the saucers. Besides maybe these Arsenic Bugs grew in that Mono Lake after contamination by an Alien taking a leak...

NASA Finds New Arsenic-Based Life Form in California

Davies has previously speculated that forms of life different from our own, dubbed "weird life," might even exist side-by-side with known life on Earth, in a sort of "shadow biosphere." The particular idea that arsenic, which lies directly below phosphorous on the periodic table, might substitute for phosphorus in life on Earth, was proposed by Wolfe-Simon and developed into a collaboration with Davies and Anbar. Their hypothesis was published in January 2009, in a paper titled "Did nature also choose arsenic?" in the International Journal of Astrobiology. "We not only hypothesized that biochemical systems analogous to those known today could utilize arsenate in the equivalent biological role as phosphate," notes Wolfe-Simon "but also that such organisms could have evolved on the ancient Earth and might persist in unusual environments today."

SOURCE

So not all that new it seems

It's not an arsenic-based life form
scienceblogs.com...

Always the skeptic view

Hope they stay outta our food chain

edit on 2-12-2010 by zorgon because: Why? WHY must this be filled out? Makes NO SENSE! WHO REALLY CARES?

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by argentus
I think for the most part that humans tend to overvalue our contribution or importance. Perhaps we're just not interesting enough or advanced enough to warrant anything other than a notation in an EBE database that is nothing more than an intergalactic 'meh'.

We are the cradle, the kindergarten, the containers of new souls... we are 'of use'

Is their funding in danger?

Yes Obama already told them no money for going back to the Moon, not Mars trip for 25 years byt they can go to an asteroid insted

I think this announcement was hyped by NASA, and they LOVE the CT world's buzz. Why not just make an announcement? Why make an announcement of a pending announcement?

Well they made a mistake. They should have worked with us CTers'
Leaked us a little of the 'good stuff' and we could have supported them.

Could an arsenic-based creature exist, and what would we call that chemistry? Not organic chem.

Gene Rodddenberry already showed us Silicon based critters eons ago, and science is beginning to accept plasma based life forms (NASA should tell us about THOSE
, after all they keep buzzing around their space craft)

I wish NASA would just lay their cards on the table.

NASA = Never A Straight Answer... keeps their aces up their sleeve

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 12:16 AM
link   
What a total geekfest on tv when they announced it live. Oooooh. I was bored in about 3 minutes. The reality did not live up to the hype. In my opinion.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 12:42 AM
link   
From a microbiologist's point of view, this is a pretty significant discovery. If arsenic is actually part of the DNA or involved in other biological processes and components, many biology textbooks will need to be rewritten to some degree.

As others have mentioned, it also means life is more adaptable than we thought and it's just a matter of time before we find strange critters on other planets or moons.

My favorite part though was when one of the panelist mention silicon based life forms and even used the horta as an example. I think I've seen these on some pictures from Mars?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b4d375d9431c.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 03:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nicolas Flamel
I think I've seen these on some pictures from Mars?

Yeah those 'nodules' are all over the place where Opportunity landed. Odd looking 'critter' too

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 05:45 AM
link   
So THAT was the massive news conference worthy time wasting news????

I simply cannot believe they spent good money and wasted so many peoples time to tell us something we already knew about. As for the impact on the search for extraterrestrial life, its a tentative link that we all would have worked out anyway.

Come on NASA, you have a chance to start opening the doors but the best you were allowed to do was this.

As someone already said EPIC FAIL
edit on 3-12-2010 by Mclaneinc because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
So is that it...this super epic big announcment from NASA is that they taught germs to enjoy crappy air...

Couple points reading between the lines...

First the Url of Fox News...

alien-life-nasa-titan-arsenic-bacteria/

Second one of the Team members...

Steven Benner, a molecular biologist, who is part of NASA's "Team Titan" and an expert on astrobiology

So we have a definate indication that Titan is involved... so what are they NOT telling us

But the really SAD thing is, that it took all these years to convince NASA that Alien life might not be modeled after our own..

" -- forcing the space agency to redefine the quest for other life in the universe."

That seems to be the main focus of that article... the paradigm shift of thinking

"It's a paradigm shift," says Dimitar Sasselov, an astrobiologist who leads the Origins of Life Initiative at Harvard University. "The possibility that Earth-life biochemistry is not universal is a transformational concept.

www.foxnews.com...

:shk:

Heck they could have saved billions and just asked us here at ATS

edit on 6-12-2010 by zorgon because: ArMaP didn't do it this time

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join