It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are Aliens Among Us? Sort of, NASA Says

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I have to agree this is onesy twosey stuff....
For anyone who can do the math its obvious there must be a universe teeming with myriad forms of life we havent even dreamed of as yet.
It is not an unreachable leap to surmise that there are races of beings cohabiting , passing through, perhaps mining (as in the huge ships sucking up the rings of saturn...seen by fly by satelite)or other activities which we can only guess....Our solar system.
The people are being spoonfed the building blocks for disclosure.....

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   
ZZZZzz acid creatures.... Zzzz NASA ZZzzz endless ZZ blackhole of tax money

OMG DO SOMEHING !! show us some walking talking/telepathic aliens...

MMMmmmffF MFfFf MFFf !!

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by BadBoYeed

I'm not convinced that all or even a majority of NASA knows whats really going on. I think that very few know more than they are saying. I honestly think that the bulk of NASA employees are in the dark. I think the military and a few elite know more than they are saying and NASA for the most part are caught in the middle.

I'm not directing this at NASA as a whole. Sure, many have seen footage of unexplained lights, Radar hits and the like etc. But on the whole they are probably inching towards disclosure with what they are allowed to release.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
reply to post by BadBoYeed

I'm not convinced that all or even a majority of NASA knows whats really going on. I think that very few know more than they are saying. I honestly think that the bulk of NASA employees are in the dark. I think the military and a few elite know more than they are saying and NASA for the most part are caught in the middle.

I'm not directing this at NASA as a whole. Sure, many have seen footage of unexplained lights, Radar hits and the like etc. But on the whole they are probably inching towards disclosure with what they are allowed to release.

I'm inclined to agree. Classifying information into channels regulated by need-to-know is a fantastic way of controlling who has access to what information and what kind of conjecture each person can undertake.

Chances are, this is not 'news' to some. But those who might be "in-the-know" may have been pursuaded along with our glamour-driven politicans that we as a people are too fragile to comprehend and cope with the knowledge. "Chaos and collapse" was the hallmark of the Brookings Institute's report predicting the result of us being aware that life is not limited to the earth. Based upon that premise the need for 'secrecy' was sold to our representatives and I suspect, the potential commercial benefits of such secrets created the motivation for it to remain so.

Based upon the understanding that our "science" is woefully underestimating the nature of "life" as a phenomenon, we have yet to fully appreciate the scope of what is possible. Perhaps such non-phosphorous DNA bearing microbes as we now see existing could be the beginning of a new method of harnessing chemical energy, or maybe even resolving some of our more troublesome ecological raping of the planet. Hey, you never know.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by posterboy

NASA has a blub up on thier website

NASA-funded astrobiology research has changed the fundamental knowledge about what comprises all known life on Earth.

Researchers conducting tests in the harsh environment of Mono Lake in California have discovered the first known microorganism on Earth able to thrive and reproduce using the toxic chemical arsenic. The microorganism substitutes arsenic for phosphorus in its cell components.

"The definition of life has just expanded," said Ed Weiler, NASA's associate administrator for the Science Mission Directorate at the agency's Headquarters in Washington. "As we pursue our efforts to seek signs of life in the solar system, we have to think more broadly, more diversely and consider life as we do not know it."

www.nasa.gov...

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

What has raised my eyebrow recently is the very real lack of information on NASA and or Global space programs through the release of the dreaded "Wiki leaks" That in itself demonstrates to me that any and all Space related information is funneled between Governments through different means of communications and is not readily available between the normal channels of diplomatic cables.

WHY?

edit on 2-12-2010 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   
The OP's little quote talks about studies finding that there are arsenic metabolising bacteria, but there's a study on that published earlier this year which cites a bunch of OLDER studies on different micro-organisms breaking down arsenites to arsenates to help reduce nitrogen... how is this news? Or is NASA news, as some people seem to be suggesting, on a time-lapse to the scientific community?

either way, Alkalilimnicola ehrlichii for the win.

NB - it is news if it really is using arsenate instead of phosphate in (coding) DNA or RNA, but like the skeptic scientist, I am unable to find anything that shows that this is more than just a radical interpretation of their phosphate-poor, arsenate-rich environment, by NASA, media, Wolfe-Simon or anyone since them. If someone can point me to a paper or even a quotation confirming that the bacteria's DNA actually contains Arsenic based links between ribo-nucleic acids, I will hastily recind my dismissal of this "news" as "olds".
edit on 2/12/2010 by TheWill because: qualifications needed.

edit on 2/12/2010 by TheWill because: quotation and citation ain't the same word.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWill

Its news NASA style.

Delivered on the NASA agenda timetable.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWill

Your addition is spot on. I agree.
Your in good company with your opinion, as I mentioned in my comments this is controversial, and
I find it highly misleading that NASA publishes it as fact already.

Using radioactive isotopes of arsenic, the researchers followed the path arsenic took in the bacteria. They saw that it completely replaced phosphorus in the bacterial cells, right down to the organism’s DNA.

“This organism has dual capability,” said researcher Paul Davies, a cosmologist, astrobiologist and theoretical physicist at Arizona State University. “It can grow with either phosphorous or arsenic. That makes it very peculiar, though it falls short of being some form of truly ‘alien’ life belonging to a different tree of life with a separate origin. However, GFAJ-1 may be a pointer to even weirder organisms. The holy grail would be a microbe that contained no phosphorus at all.”

1) this is not a new life form. this microbe is able to incorporate arsenic into it’s DNA -but it evolved from an organism with phosphate-backbone DNA. WE ARE RELATED TO THIS GUY

2) it’s not clear whether it even uses arsenic in its DNA/proteins in its natural habitat. More like we trained it to use arsenic. It was grown in liquid including arsenic in the lab, which would normally kill any other cell. But this guy was able to survive, and then when the scientists gradually diluted out the phosphate (normal DNA backbone), it incorporated arsenic. So – we know that it CAN use arsenic, whether it does naturally is unclear
www.geekosystem.com...

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   
The NASA-TV streaming conference was chilling for me, in a kind of Christmas morning sense, ... but not for the science. I believe today's NASA panel, conducted in a familiar, entertaining, enthusiastic (and fetching) manner was part of a public education seminar series that is designed to "prep" the general public for Disclosure -a Disclosure that "we" (NASA, global governments, leaders, military police at landing sites, ordinary citizens experiencing encounters, etc) have already experienced contact with ET and most probably that ET has been with us for a long time.

Scientifically, I heard nothing new that physical inorganic and organic chemists, and forward looking biologists and research physicians have not predicted or suspected for decades. Certainly, the less mind-chained technologists, and lay persons, writing science fiction over the last century have been visualizing there is life based on non-water and non-phosphorous homologs. Dr. Michael Crichton's novels are notable examples.

Almost 40 years ago, I personally developed and taught advanced courses in non-water based chemistry and electrochemistry, with biological implications. The most popular near-water model for HOMOLOGOUS chemical systems was even then believed to be based on Arsenic and its close neighbors in the periodic table (e.g., Germanium, Silicon, etc). However, there are many more elements who are as likely as Arsenic to show up in exotic life systems.

So what else sent shivers thru my brain? It was the coincidence-that-is-non-coincidental timing of a clean and simple, public panel being held on this particular subject, exotic life chemistry, at this time of near-critical-point ufo sightings along with peaking "disclosures" by military guards, government officials, statesmen, nurses, and just ordinary citizens from all parts of the globe who are now telling their stories about past and current ET encounters. These encounters number in the thousands, and tens of thousands if one also includes lay researchers in the abduction arena.. (And notice how presentable, entertaining and down-to-earth the panelists conducted themselves while disclosing some striking implications.)

I expect there will be one or two more publically televised "education" events before NASA unveils the "good" news that ET, our bio-chemical brothers, exist. But how our new family thinks, spiritualizes, behaves, etc is another question. However, one imagines that if ET has revealed themselves, and we are still alive and the globe is not in ashes, then ET is not a threat from the perspective of our programmed, instinctive, naked-ape attack-or-flee reaction base. There might of course be bio-hazard dangers (and we have also heard in the ufo-ET network about quarantine sites in various areas of the US and elsewhere (Dulce, etc).

How ET might smell to us, how and what ET eats for energy (certainly not us, but think of terrifically strong radishes, hmm), eliminates as waste, and drinks are questions whose answers are delightfully up for grabs and yet to be answered. However, these points bring up previous ATS threads that have presented alleged personal accounts of ET encounters and "weird" or unsettling smells and "awareness" that evince sometimes severe psychological stress - which are expected reactions from our human biology base. For instance, Arsenic-based chemistry, though "operating" along similar (homologous) chemical paths as phosphate systems, most likely leads to metabolic wastes that incorporates Arsenic hydrides which tend to smell like strong garlic instead of the familiar rotten egg smell of human waste, or think of Arseno-proteinaceous breakdown sludge instead of human-like coproplytes, or and think of really bad breath. The ufo-ET web network has long reported first hand witness "accounts" (claims?) of the very terrifying effect of just the smell of ET - an immediate recognition by the human brain smell centers that the wafting odors don't fit into our 3-D stereo-configured smell receptacles which are evolved to accept and recognize not only differently shaped molecules but those within specific ranges of elecro-charge-density, etc. (Human sensing organs are very comprehensive and sensitive instrument arrays especially when combined with such our complex, "intuitive" central computing center, the human brain.)

The panel very nicely explained, in an easily understood show and tell manner, that we humans are not biologically unique. Further, the NASA panelists implied that in the vast, chemically complex universe we should not be surpised to meet "life forms" (at least chemical-based life) that are sentient and perhaps more advanced than us.

I believe, further, that NASA has more hidden cards in their hand and are just waiting for the right near-time to play them out ... now that the public, through the mainstream media (CNN, MSNBC, Fox, etc) is being educated to wider expectations.
edit on 2-12-2010 by havanaja because: I clarified a technical point about Arsenic biochemistry.

edit on 2-12-2010 by havanaja because: Michael Crichton spelled accurately

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by havanaja

Excellent post, thank you! I'd give you a handful of stars if I could.!!
NASA, yes they have an agenda.

I have looked for a good site that may have gathered infomation on this, would you happen to have one?
Please post if so!

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I posted a more comprehensive article HERE for those who want to understand the important implications of this NASA announcement.

For those who where waiting for an announcement of alien life, sorry, but it takes more than 3 sentances at least to see how important this is.

I took the time to relate the facts in a context to our needs here, and to educate that this might help us with energy production in the future. Also, did you know you are a bacteriological colony? All that and more.

Sorry for sore toes, but intelligent detail takes time. Not that the OP here did not do a good job, but I usually go deeper as my work is in science education as an illustrator.

Faster is not better unless you make over a billion mystery-meat hamburgers.

ZG

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by havanaja

Now we are getting the point!
Thanks. Great info.

See my post to add some additional associated implications.

ZG

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by ZeroGhost

No offense taken, this was just a breaking news article.
And I am not a biologist.

Thanks for you addition, and the information.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I agree with havanaja and would think it is a piece of a larger program to acclimate the public to the idea Alien life is not just theoretical, but most likely. Science needs such empirical data to believe their own eyes, otherwise it does not compute.

His other observations and experience ring true also. The universe is very creative, and elements can be combined with each other and conditions to do things we can only imagine.

The question of where, might be a later announcement when probes mentioned on the way to Mars, find microbial or fossilized evidence of such.

NASA's baby steps might fall behind fast if it becomes plain we are being visited and Aliens are here now and have been for millions of years, fiddling with the petri dish we call Earth.

I have direct evidence in solid multi-person experiences this is true. It is just a matter of time now. Time we might not have much of before we undermine our own existence with our profound institutionalized and governmentalized ignorance.

ZG

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Well spoken - about the bogus excuse of justifying rnon-diclosure out of sympathy (or just plain disrepect and undersestimation) for the "lesser" intelligence of the general public.

edit on 2-12-2010 by havanaja because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

I was reading about this earlier today and I thought it was interesting. It was on Yahoo News but here's a link from Space.com.

Arsenic-munching germ redefines "life as we know it"

I found this interesting because I'd read an article in Analog Science Fiction and Fact, about the possibility of life forms breathing the halogens. I can't find the article but here's a link to the author.

Stephen L. Gillett, Ph.D.

I'd gotten married since then and somehow all of my comic books and science fiction and fact magazines got "missing." (Every time I think of this it upsets me. I looked up some of the comic books on Ebay and they're worth like $thousands) Sorry for getting off topic.

Anyhow, the article was published in 1984 under the title :Those Halogen Breathers." Very interesting reading.

EDIT: Very ineresting points havjana. Star to you. I was going to add that I'd read an article in Scientific American about a year ago speculating of lifeforms that may be arsenic based and silicon based. Quite interesting. It concluded that these lifeforms would be sluggish in their movements and that carbon-based lifeforms such as humans breath oxygen, which gives off more energy per unit than any other element.

edit on 2/12/10 by Intelearthling because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   
How can NASA say that these bacteria are aliens?

Are they disregarding the possibility that these have "adapted" to survive in this environment.

If these bacteria have not adapted these abilities, then does that mean that they lived in an environment that was condusive to the evolution of the trait to live in an arsenic rich environment?

Are there no environments like this found naturally on earth? deep-water thermal vents or such?

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThreeDeuce
How can NASA say that these bacteria are aliens?

They're not saying they're alien. They're saying that contrary to what biologists have thought that life-forms come in the carbon-based DNA structure as we know it is proving to be wrong. These bacteria have replaced the phosphorus atom in their DNA with arsenic and we all know how poisonous arsenic is to humans.

They're saying with this information, the likelihood of extraterrestrial life being present on other planets have jumped up tremendously.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by ThreeDeuce

Um, no I don't think that they're implying an alien origin for these bacteria. Just that they do something that we might consider a little odd. (pipped to the post, dang it.)

And don't fall into the Panglossian trap (as originally described by Gould - R.I.P. - and Lewontin in the '70s, referring to Voltaire(?)'s Doctor Pangloss, who is insufferably optimistic and assumes that everything is always for the best) of assuming that all traits are adaptive. The capability of a population of bacteria to incorporate arsenic into their DNA may be the result of genetic drift (genes arise which aren't helpful, but aren't unhelpful either, and so they stick around - which does usually happen to some extent with any evolved trait, especially where observed selective pressures are high, and so the necessary "adaptation" must have predated the pressures for the population to have survived the onset of the pressure), or as a byproduct of other adaptations.

Nevertheless, nice to know that the chemoautotrophs are branching out from deep sea volcanic vents.

Originally posted by Intelearthling... we all know how poisonous arsenic is to humans.

yes, we do... 60mg to kill a man, from what I've read. Which seems quite a lot, really. And it's absolutely harmless in its pure form (QUALIFIER - ARSENIC IN ITS PURE FORM DOES NOT STAY THAT WAY FOR LONG). Isn't beryllium something in the region of 0.0006mg to kill a man, which speaks to much greater efficiency.
edit on 2/12/2010 by TheWill because: qualified and expanded. Like a fat post graduate.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join