It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are Aliens Among Us? Sort of, NASA Says

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   

www.foxnews.com

Alien life has been among us all along, according to new biological findings announced by NASA Thursday.

Research conducted by biochemist Dr. Felisa Wolfe-Simon from the U.S. Geological Survey has turned the quest for alien life on its ear, suggesting that phosphorous -- which is found in every living thing -- is not necessarily the only sign of life.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Life as we dont know it, on Earth?

NASA'S latest secret is out ...

Researchers assert that they have forced microbes to "eat" arsenic in place of necessary phosphorus.

With samples taken from Mono Lake in California, the study weaned the micbrobes off of phosphorus, and onto arsenic. Interesting.

In the paper published today, the researchers report that some of the bacteria could survive on arsenic and incorporate it into their cellular biochemistry. Instead of the usual phosphate-rich DNA, they observed arsenate-rich DNA. Heightened levels of arsenic also showed up in the cell's proteins and fats.

Keep an eye on this one, its very controversial.

Its not quite proven yet...

Another highly regarded scientist is on his way to prove this inaccurate.

Steven Benner, an astrobiologist at the Foundation for Applied Molecular Evolution, told me he was unconvinced. He was invited to Washington today to lay out the skeptical view during a much-hyped news conference at NASA Headquarters. "I'm the guy they bring in to throw the wet blanket over all the enthusiasm," he joked.

He was impressed by the finding that bacteria could get by with so little phosphorus and so much arsenic, but he questioned the conclusion that the arsenic was truly taking the place of phosphorus. Benner explained that chemists have long been familiar with the properties of arsenate compounds. "We know, for example, that they fall apart in water quickly," he said. "Those structures are not going to survive in water."

www.foxnews.com
edit on 2-12-2010 by burntheships because: format

edit on 2-12-2010 by burntheships because: format

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   
So is that it...this super epic big announcment from NASA is that they taught germs to enjoy crappy air...

all the threads...all the posts of how they may be revealing nibiru, or spaceships, or all the other speculation and this is what it was...

I would say cool...but meh, it doesn't even qualify as that...we have found microbes existing next to deep ocean volcanos...we know life will spring up pretty much anywhere...how is this even news?

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships

www.foxnews.com

Alien life has been among us all along, according to new biological findings announced by NASA Thursday.

Research conducted by biochemist Dr. Felisa Wolfe-Simon from the U.S. Geological Survey has turned the quest for alien life on its ear, suggesting that phosphorous -- which is found in every living thing -- is not necessarily the only sign of life.

Related News Links:
cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com

So, I just wasted a few minutes reading that article. You really think anyone outside the scietific community will care that there is a bacteria that's DNA is arsnic based? All that means, is that the bacteria predates animal life on this planet, and just hasn't evolved like the rest of us primates.
If NASA really wanted to impress me, they'd do a life press conference with E.T., instead of just being a government agency to funnel money to. What a waste of time!

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

Actually that is very interesting....

This expands the possibility of life originating in a much broader spectrum of environments than previously thought possible. Now In my not so humble opinion. NASA needs to stop creeping towards the inevitable and just come right out and state what they already know, instead of this molasses like drip of information preparing the masses for disclosure.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

If this is "slow disclosure" ...It is a very poor way to do it. say, hypothetically they do full disclosure in 2 years, won't we look back on today,

and call them all liars?

unless that is they deny that they knew about the whole time, and say that they are discovering it right along with them?????

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   
When the unwashed masses begin probing and poking around and asking too many questions about little green critters in flying saucers, periodically throw them a bone to gnaw on. An 'Outerspatial Wikileaks' is not part of the plan, ladies and gentlemen. Slow disclosure? Bah.

It's a superbly executed diversion. They're buying time.

edit on 12/2/2010 by Outrageo because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   
I, for one, would like to welcome our Arsenic Thriving Overlords.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

Nasa is still at microbial level, while some customs and immigration officials in us , germany and poland can
safely be called the anunaki. They are mostly but not always bald.
Heck nasa has a lot to learn, they should ask the reptilian hybrid steven greer lol.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Here's another snippet of the leaked press information.....

gizmodo.com...

Arsenic as a component of genetic material.... very nice.....

Now that scientists are admitting they were dead wrong about the limitiations of biological function... I wonder what other concessions they might be willing to make about everything they don't know?

"Life will find a way...."

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   
so...what this really did was change
a mathmatical certainty that life exists elsewhere in the universe to
a mathmatical certainty that life exists elsewhere in the universe...with a plus beside it

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

I think so.

We have recently been told that there are some 300 times more stars in the universe than we had been 'accepting as fact'. We have been told that the likelihood of rocky, atmosphere-bearing planets within the 'sweet spot' orbit are much higher than we had been 'accepting as fact.' We also have already been calculating based upon the gargantuan size and unfathomable age of the universe, that it was a virtual impossiblity that life didn't exist somewhere out there.

Now we have more planets, more stars, and the "new" fact that life doesn't have to conform to the dogma of scientists about how life "works" at the chemical level.

Yeah.... we are not alone. That much is virtually certain.

The rest may come in time.... (in their good time, if you hold to some theories.)
edit on 3-12-2010 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   
It appears that this info was "leaked"

We should be used to that by now.

www.longislandpress.com...

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Pretty cool,although I thought the announcement would be relating to the gazzillion more red dwarfs and other stars they have now detected(which is also amazing IMO).

They said on the radio that there could be areas of the universe where red dwarfs are so abundant that from the surface of a planet there,the night sky would look like glowing red embers as opposed to our white light stars that we see from Earth.

This new lifeform reminded me of something I read years back-about a plant which has been around since before the dinosaurs-think we call it "horse tail" in the UK,which is a silicone based lifeform(as opposed to carbon).
Not sure if that is comparable to this discovery,but I thought it was cool all the same.

edit on 2/12/2010 by Silcone Synapse because: oops,general reply

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

My question is simple...

out of the potentially billions upon billions of advanced alien races in the universe...

have even a single one of them figured out how to get past the speed of light issue...because if only a single race has ever managed to go FTL, then suddenly, like a advanced genetic virus pandemic, the universe is absolutely filled with space travellers.

If you go by that line of thinking...and to me, that sounds highly reasonable, then it would be almost insane to believe that there are no aliens visiting earth...or at minimum, know full well of our existance.

And...if that fairly rational way of thinking becomes noted...then any politician that answers questions about believing in UFOs would be seen as the nutty quack if they answered no..

just my opinion of course

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

In a way it seems anticlimatic.
I am anxious to see the spin NASA puts on it.

reply to post by moondoggy2

Agreed, NASA could do that...
But likely that does not suit the agenda.
reply to post by SLAYER69

Yes, considering that on the table of elements, Arsenic is one step down from Phosphorus.
And they share many of the same properties...making Arsenic so toxic.

It will be interesting to hear what NASA has to say.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Fiction-writers, futurists, dreamers and anyone who has followed biological science, especially in the realms of the abyssal oceans and arctic/antarctic climes have already known about extremophiles and various other "abnormal" types of life for years now.

We'll never have one of these hyped up announcements that leads to anything more than being told what we already know or could know with the smallest bit of research. And I'm not just being cynical, look at the history.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   
They are just setting the stage. This "parallel lifeforce" has been out for years in the science and SF field. So why give the idea 20 minutes of primetime now? You watch, they are going to start finding "things" living underground in the near future because all of a sudden they have a new way of looking at life.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Khaaaaaan!!
They are just setting the stage. This "parallel lifeforce" has been out for years in the science and SF field. So why give the idea 20 minutes of primetime now? You watch, they are going to start finding "things" living underground in the near future because all of a sudden they have a new way of looking at life.

Sure, I will accept that...why not. sounds fun to dream anyhow.

It might be setting the stage...the long drawn out plan to get people accepting of life elsewhere before making the slow incramental announcments leading eventually to a "discovery"

but before we get to that stage, expect a ton more interesting, yet pretty tame discoverys

bugs on mars, jellyfish on europa, things like that...and even those would be pretty incredible (therefore not soon)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join