It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are Americans Stupid? Or is the world jealous?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 11:03 PM
link   
...mostly what i saw on this thread is a bunch of self-righteous nationalism from other subjects of "the crown"... yeah, you know who are... get a grip... aussies, canadians, uk-ers - you're just as guilty of having your hands in the dirty pie as usofa-ers are...

...there are stupid people in every country on the planet... no one is exempt...

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Tayesin

Some good points, but I don't exactly remember emphasizing that we were the only ones that aided Europe post-war or that we were the only ones that fought Japan, if that's how you interpreted my comments then that's your problem. The US however did play the major role in both and I'm pretty sure Australia wouldn't have been able to hold it's ground all by it's lonesome. And if you find emotions in my comments (which are true either way) well then cry me a river. Disregarding the sacrifices made by Americans in that war would be like disregarding the sacrifices made by the British and Canadians, it's unnessessary and lowly.
edit on 2-12-2010 by MareBellator because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by wcitizen

because you think you are better than others you think the world is jealous

As I mentioned to another poster I'm not American. So my comments are by an appreciative ally who can sleep at night knowing that the U.S will help us out if we ever need it. It might not mean much to others, but it means a hell of a lot to me.
edit on 2-12-2010 by Flighty because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Why am I not surprised no one pays attention to the fact that we, as U.S. citizens wrongly call ourselves Americans?

Maybe I should
type like an idiot
and use half the space
of an actual sentence
to make my post seem longer?

Seems to work with most of the "top contributors" of this site... :sigh:, This is why I hold my tongue most the time, no one listens to reason. Tell people, no, NASA won't declare they found planet X... cause that's Pluto, we found it. Tell people the Israelis don't belong there cause they aren't Semitic, and Israel and Judea were destroyed two thousand years ago, the people that stayed are the Palestinians. Tell "Americans" we ain't supposed to be called that... No one listens. Logic is lost. Back to holding my tongue till I get aggravated enough again or most of you people learn to read. Fat chance.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zorzenon
Why am I not surprised no one pays attention to the fact that we, as U.S. citizens wrongly call ourselves Americans?

...its not that no one agrees with you, sweets... its just that too many have been indoctrinated with the supremacist attitude (ie: the usofa = america)... those who swing that way are americans and you'll never be able to convince them otherwise... just the way it goes...

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Wyn Hawks

So... No hope? Not a damned one of them is able to recognize what and who they are? I love the United States, and our Constitution (especially cause it can be, and was designed to be changed through the ages to fit in with the voice of the common man) and the bill of rights cause they are just common sense. And please refrain from calling me sweets (I am far from sweet)... unless you are a female, I tend to call them that... sexist, I know, In that case I deserve it and approve.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

I get what you are saying, but I just wanted to point out that Australia made an official, public apology to the Aboriginal people for our forefathers treatment of them - one which was accepted graciously and freely. Just wanted to clear that bit up.

I hope so, because yea I was trolling a little but with a point. All countries have stupid things they have done and some are a sore point. The apology while a good thing doesn't change what was done. The US has apologized for certain events of it's past and still is reminded of them
I believe that we in the US have been given a bum rap by both the world abroad and by our leaders.
Oh yea for the record I wasn't saying that the US won WWII, we aided in the victory. But it must be admitted the US involvement was instrumental in the victory of the allies. I feel that we as a country let that go to our collective heads in dealing with the wider world.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 12:56 AM
link   
there are a lot of misconceptions about americans. i don't see why you guys let it bother you so much, it seems to consume some people. those pesky americans and their crazy lifestyles. man come on, we are all just regular people trying to get by and make a better life for ourselves just like everyone else. why don't you guys want to get along with us? i get the feeling that the media in a lot of countries paint us in a bad light, and i can certainly understand the anger many people in the world feel toward our government.. but you aren't alone, i'm sure three out of five americans are dissatisfied with our government. at the end of the day we really don't have any control over what our government does, it is no secret that it has become more shady and oppressive lately. i just don't understand all of the blind hatred towards us, what our government does isn't our fault. and a lot of the stereotypes aren't true, there aren't as many fat or rich people as you think. not everyone is living the good life and fattening themselves up, many americans live in poverty. not everyone is ignorant and unintelligent, not everyone "drinks the kool aid"... when it comes down to it america is a cultural melting pot, 300,000,000 people from all over the world. all different races and religions living as one in relative harmony with one another. not many places can honestly say that, this is a pretty tolerant place filled for the most part with good and honest hardworking people. if you think otherwise then maybe your local mass media is passing out a little kool aid themselves.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Are "Americans" stupid? Well... considering there is no country called "America" (America is a land mass consisting of two continents and many countries)

NURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by crmanager

Here in America

America — it is not a country — it is lands of the Western Hemisphere — North America, Central (or Middle) America, and South America.

Are you a single Mom? In many nations that will get you austricised. Possibly stoned to death. Here single Moms are held up as examples of fortitude and perseverance.

Very sad that you looking on it as something to be proud about..

“examples of fortitude and perseverance”

“fortitude” of what? “fortitude” of personal irresponsibility?
“ perseverance” - lol – please take a look on the meanings of those two words in dictionary – are the life failure of those moms can be described with those two world “fortitude” and “perseverance”?
This is a failure.
Attempts to find advantages in the situations of those single moms will lead you to another illusion.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 02:03 AM
link   
reply to post by MareBellator

It was an easy "mistake" to make given the aggressive tones used in the reply... although I have come to anticipate smarmy attitudes from newbies here.

But, with that aside we can agree that it was many countries together who fought the Japanese and that victory was not the priviledge of the U.S. only. And yes the ANZAC troops alone stopped the southward march of Japan in New Guinea.

No words of mine are meant to play down the massive loss of lives in any war.. I do not say "sacrifice" beause I am opposed to war in all its forms... especially wars that are not about Defending our own countries from direct attack.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 02:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by comerer

Here in America

America — it is not a country — it is lands of the Western Hemisphere — North America, Central (or Middle) America, and South America.

Are you a single Mom? In many nations that will get you austricised. Possibly stoned to death. Here single Moms are held up as examples of fortitude and perseverance.

Very sad that you looking on it as something to be proud about..
“examples of fortitude and perseverance”
“fortitude” of what? “fortitude” of personal irresponsibility?
“ perseverance” - lol – please take a look on the meanings of those two words in dictionary – are the life failure of those moms can be described with those two world “fortitude” and “perseverance”?
This is a failure.
Attempts to find advantages in the situations of those single moms will lead you to another illusion.

Lovely attitude.

Typical of the people who blame the woman who is looking after her own children, while ignoring the fact that she are alone because the father is not taking care of his own.

How many people who hate single mothers extend that hatred to single fathers?
Suddenly it's all different then, and the man becomes an object of admiration.

I've been crapped on by people with your attitude for being a single mother.
My husband, father of my sons, couldn't handle them being handicapped. He caused permanent injuries to them and would not stop his violence. Because I had to take the children and live apart from him for their own safety, and have made them the focus of my life because of the care they have needed, I've been abused and spat on because I'm being responsible and caring for my children, while my violent, irresponsible arsehole ex husband has been admired as a great guy.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 03:57 AM
link   
reply to post by crmanager

Or is the world jealous?
The US isn't even in the top 10 list of countries with best living conditions, you all seem to worry about national debt and terrorism constantly, and your media is so manipulative it's beyond laughable...I mean...what's there to be jealous of, seriously?

EDIT: I told my friend about this thread, and I just have to post his response to the part I quoted above: "No, I'm jealous I can't fit my whole head up my ass like you..."

And on another note, that whole "we are special because we are so free" is an absolute load of crock, and would only come out of the mouth of a person who hasn't left the US, or travelled to a overly religious country such as ones around the middle east. Furthermore, your freedoms have been disappearing so quickly over the last decade I would no longer call the US "home of the free"...I probably would have at one point in the past, but certainly not now.
edit on 3-12-2010 by WhizPhiz because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flighty
reply to post by wcitizen

because you think you are better than others you think the world is jealous

As I mentioned to another poster I'm not American. So my comments are by an appreciative ally who can sleep at night knowing that the U.S will help us out if we ever need it. It might not mean much to others, but it means a hell of a lot to me.
edit on 2-12-2010 by Flighty because: (no reason given)

I'm glad you are happy with them stealing your nation's money, and that they will perpetuate the soap opera by pretending to protect you from the wars they create. One day, someone will attack for real - I mean not in a 'safe'war of US/allies' creation - and then you will see how well you are protected.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 07:53 AM
link   

nobody here knows everything, some people are here because they want to learn why things are the way they are because they can sense something is wrong but cannot quite work it out.

if you feel americans are wrongly called american, then please explain why. i understand that america is a whole lot more than the united states, but if we can not call you american what should we call you?

how does somebody refer to a person who is from the land between canada and mexico? is it a unitedish, a statesman? please explain.

england = english
spain = spanish
Ireland = irish
canada = canadian
united states of america = ?

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   
here is some proof that it is not just american's who are stupid, there are plenty of people around who fit the bill, there are loads of 911 calls for stupid reasons from america all over the web.

well here's a story from the u.k.

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by lifeform11

I propose we call ourselves U.S. citizens. Another route would be to use your state. So I would be a Floridian. It really is not all that hard, you know? Considering oh how very special some people think we are maybe they would like being different and not use -ican, or an -ish, nor any other suffix?

ETA: I already explained why we shouldn't in my first post... Cause it is incorrect.
edit on 12/3/10 by Zorzenon because: Someone felt it necessary for me to repeat myself...

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Zorzenon

well fair enough, the only problem with calling yourself after a state, is when referencing people who live between canada and mexico as a collective, i would have to list every state rather than just use one term.

so u.s. citizen it is, or people in the u.s., i will try to use these terms but because of my programing and habits can not promise it every time, thank you for replying.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   

edit on 3-12-2010 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   

That is dumb. Who cares? People from Ecuador probably say they are Ecuadorian not South American. Canadians call themselves Canadians not North Americans. Citizens of Germany, Germans. France, French.

If you walk around saying what continent you are from it's ridiculous and people will likely ask the country. I hate it when people throw a fit about this. It makes complete sense that we would call ourselves Americans as America is the most distinct part of our country's name. Think if the continent wasn't called North America and our name was still The United States of America what would be the sensible and best sounding thing to call the citizens. Only pretentious South and Central Americans that haven't got a real cause to argue will argue about this. We are American's get over it. If you are from America, I bet you refer to yourself as an American and if you don't everyone around you probably thinks you are being pretentious (because you are).

You can make name change proposals until your face turns blue, but it will still be pointless because it will still make complete sense that we call ourselves Americans.

How about everyone else call themselves what they really are: "I am North American," "I am South American"
It could easily be argued that they are the ones being incorrect and then arguing about it by incorrectly saying the name of the continent. America isn't a continent, North America is. Whilst someone from the United States of America referring to themselves as an American is just an easy internationally acknowledge-able way to describe where you are from. If I went to anywhere else in the world and said I'm an American they would know what I meant. Besides if you guys think we are so pompous why would you fight to be called Americans anyway?
edit on 3-12-2010 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join