It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is white pride a bad thing?

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 01:59 AM
link   
I do believe that everyone should be treated equally in America. We should all have the same rights. What I don't understand is when people want those rights plus a few extra rights for themselves added to them!
Rights apart from other peoples rights. " I deserve these right because I am........a different race,,,color...sexual orientation.....religion...etc.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by the cynic jester
I'm going to finish a thought I put on here. I didn't really think it through when I typed it but, I've decided I'm no longer white. I'm a light skinned Caucasian, that is my genetic heritage. But I am not white, like I'm not black or Asian. I'm me. I subscribe to no racial culture because it's silly, I know where I came from but it doesn't matter. Like it doesn't matter, what shade another person is. We all think, feel and dream, to me that's enough reason to warrant acceptance as a fellow human.

Bingo Cynic Jester!!!! Star for you.......
We are all human & skin-tone should not define us. We are each unique, but the one thing we all share is our humanity.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 02:02 AM
link   
reply to post by lynn112

That's great! I would hate to have a banner with the title of "olive and proud!"
Hopefully all of you know what I mean.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 02:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by 1984 is now
do you know what white privlege is? its the privileges we white people get from oppressing people of color. some of us dont eaven know we do it, but its there nun the less. white pride is just another form of oppresion. trying to keep people of color in there place and its f#!%# up!

I don't know how to use my "White Privileges" ....? How exactly does one use his White Privileges"

Can i cut in line at a theater in front of a non white next time i go see the next Harry Potter film? Is it some mystical right of passage given to us whites by a white God? Is there a special Dojo that teaches these privileges ? Do i call the people who enforce these alleged privileges if things go south when using these privileges? Because i do not want to get beat up cutting in line when i try this. So im keeping a black man down when being proud 0f my milky white almost luminous vampire like appearance, yearning for grunting guttural voices to
death metal ? This oppression you speak of.

All like "Ahah you thought you were going to get that ticket...not so fast pal get in your place the white man wins again" - followed by sinister super villain like laugh

Im confused because My parents, Teachers even my friends have been keeping me in the dark about this.

Maybe "the Man" is real after all?

Welcome to 1964 is now, not like we made any progress or anything

edit on 3-12-2010 by Unknown Soldier because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 02:14 AM
link   
I like these types of threads, I think it brings us as species closer to understanding that we are in fact not equal in the sense we been taught to believe.
Your skin color does in fact make you different. And hopefully pride for one's race, might someday lead to understanding.
At present because of political correctness we've gone backwards in truly understanding ourselves and others.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 02:30 AM
link   
To me personally, I can see both a positive and negative side to the situation. For instance it can be a positive thing to have pride about who you are. At the same time it can also be a negative thing because its almost like segregating people into groups based on superficial things, or things that don't really matter. My solution for this? Have pride in being alive and in how you treat your fellow man & the planet around you.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 02:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Misterlondon
I have to agree.. For example here in the uk, we had to change the name of a blackboard because it was deemed racist (not sure how that works) we have to call it a chalkboard.. But a White board is still a whiteboard.. Also we can't call Christmas that anymore in case it offends people, we now call it the festive season..
We have the mobo awards which is music of black origin awards, but if you had a music of white origin awards, it wouldn't be allowed and would be deemed racist.. And the worst example is that we can't display the st georges cross (englands flag) or the union jack (great Britain) because that too is supposedly racist.. although you can display any other flag without problem...
We definitely can't express our culture here in England...

You make a excellent point, however who is stopping you from calling a black board a black board? Christmas it's name after Christ? Wasn't Jesus Black or close to it? What is going on over there is the UK g0ing mad? Really who enforces this madness? Darth Vader? I dont remember the union jack flag being painted on the General lee?

I say call a black board a black board, wish people a Merry Christmas, watch the country music awards if it pleases you. And maybe others will start to as well, you could be the next rosa parks. Fight for your rights you have them. Political correctness begets more ignorance, even sugar coats the issues undermining progress and separating people more.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 02:42 AM
link   
Maybe it's time to look at the accomplishments of human kind rather than taking pride in something ridiculous as your skin colour. In the end we have to conclude that although some great achievements we are still light years away from being anywhere near civilized. When we can look at history and understand, learn and take pride in those lessons rather than taking the physical accomplishments and value our advancement in money and prosperity. One day we will look at the worlds and cry, feel guilt for having accepted a firs, second and third world. Having accepted the wealth being taken away by the establishment in return for a comfortable life, it is us the people that have laid back too long using racism to express our rage against unfairnes, whether it was out of jealousy or projection of compassion.

We all are equal in the eyes of a child, right now that child is crying tears from seeing the unfairness.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 02:45 AM
link   
What I think is hilarious, and I have discussed this with various different black and hispanic people that I have known, is the belief that by being born as a white person that you are somehow automatically given some special consideration. As if every white man is given some golden ticket which has been punched that allows us into every sealed door imagineable.

Being a white person myself, I would like to say that while I am still waiting patiently for my "honky" check to arrive in the mail each month, it never seems to reach the proper address for some reason (Im assuming they must have my zip code wrong?)

The funny part to me is that I probably grew up just as poor and disadvantaged as a lot of the black and hispanic people that I lived around. I can say that as far as I know, I have never been given or even offered anything secret, special or above and beyond by anyone, simply because I was white..Not once.

While I dont claim to know what life is like for a minority individual in this society, I do understand what it is like to live through hardship. For anyone to think that every white person born in this country is simply spoonfed and given everything is ridiculous. Life is a struggle on both sides of the fence.

One day people will let all of this racial crap rest and take time to realize that it isn't about black or white or brown, it's about the have's versus the have not's, and the barrier between the two is growing greater every day.

It comes down to simple economics, and very soon regular folks need to start realizing that to the wealthy ones who look down on us, we are all equally expendable and unnecessary.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 02:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by dbriefed
I think you should ask the same questions but replace "white" with other colors.

I already answered that question. I used the differences between the Chinese and the Japanese as an example. Why on earth would a chinese man be culturally proud of what a japanese man achieved? Shall we talk about blacks aswell? Why on earth are black americans referred to as african americans? Why would they be proud of being african american? Blacks have been in the country since well before its founding so its makes no sense to me. Want to go on?

After a few generations the descendants of immigrants that came to America lose their national identity, and are proud of a less specific pool of forefathers. Therefore they're proud of what their continental background has accomplished.

The immigrants that came to America "lost their identity"? That’s funny because I still see strong cultural communities around this country, most notably the Italian and Irish communities in New York, Chinese communities in San Francisco, Little Haiti in Miami. Really? That is your explanation? Who lost their ancestral national identity again? Really. Why can't people be proud to be american? Why some racial trait that has absolutely no relevance to who you are as person?

I'm mixed race, by the way.

And this is suppose to lend more credibility to your opinion? I couldn't care less what you were, your views or beliefs do not change in nature to me.

And I think people have a right to racial pride.

And who was stopping them? People have a right to have "racial pride" and they have a right to parade it around, and you know what? People have the right to their own opinions and views and responses. There we go, that settles it for ya? If you can't stand the responses or opinions, why make a big deal out of it for you then?

I also believe that people have the right to segregate themselves,

And once again nobody is stopping folks from doing that in this country. I think that people like you love to make the claim of some imaginary "force" against your views to gain sympathy, it doesnt work on me.

I think there should be measures in place to preserve racial pools which have developed that way for specific reasons.

Ah yes, and what will those measures be? I'm sure people can make decisions for themselves, but evidently you feel that "measures" need to be taken right? You know what, I can't say I'm surprised you hold this view, or some other members like you. It became apparent to me well back in your political rants, and its more apparent to me now.

Great debating with you.
edit on 3-12-2010 by Southern Guardian because: fixed

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 02:59 AM
link   
When people say "I'm black and proud" or "I'm gay and proud" it's 100% different than if one were to say "I'm white and proud." What have whites honestly struggled with and, most importantly, been dehumanized for that they were born with?

I don't see a point in having "pride" over your race, religion, ethics. Be proud to be a human, to be alive. Who cares if you're white, black, half-n-half, take it in the ass or in the back of a church? We shouldn't be questioning "WHY ISNT THERE WHITE PRIDE / WHY ISNT IT OKAY" and instead encouraging that we are all equal, then there would be no need to have pride in a damn thing other than being human. But, then I guess the ET's might get pissed. hm?

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 03:11 AM
link   
Its not about black vs white its rich vs poor. Its always throughout history been about rich vs poor.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 03:14 AM
link   
reply to post by AndrewJay

What are you referring too here? There are many poor Whites and many Rich Blacks. Are you talking about classism?

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 03:18 AM
link   
reply to post by BlackOps719

Blackops, since my boyfriend is black I've been able to witness things first hand where I was more advantaged being white. Typically, being white means that you're not dangerous, to a lot of our ignorant society, and that being black, you are dangerous. I've witnessed, first hand, several instances where just because he is black, that he's perceived as a threat. Tell me that if you're in the bank and a black man walks in that you're not slightly suspicious? And if YOU aren't, bravo for you, but tell me do you think the majority would be afraid or uneasy of this? The black guy is always "the bad guy." He's the gangsta, drug dealer, gun-toting, ruthless jerk trying to "get back" at whitey. I've never been so sickened to witness this # first hand, through being with my boyfriend. And we have only been together for 3 years, I've seen enough to be disenchanted with most of humanity and their ignorance. Imagine having to live this for your whole life. My life was easy compared to his. If I was ever judged for being white (and poor, at that) then it was never outwardly expressed... if at all, then certainly not as clearly as it is when I see him being attacked JUST for being black. I know that my son, who is racially mixed, will have a harder life than I had, growing up. I know he will be judged for his skin color and it makes me sad. THIS is the biggest "advantage" of being white, imo.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 03:21 AM
link   
reply to post by seedofchucky

I detect a pattern...

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 03:27 AM
link   
Removed (see below)
edit on 3-12-2010 by AndrewJay because: This post was a bit off topic for this discussion.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 03:45 AM
link   
reply to post by mayabong

You know, I'm really glad someone posted this. Most people just assume that all white people are just European or something, but the fact is that although that may be true, they also have specific cultures of their own respected European origins. For example, I'm Welsh, which is technically Celtic, more so than modern Irish. The Welsh language is the only dialect of old Celtic left. It turns out the Celts actually had their start in the Hellstadt culture, which was based in an area that now covers southern Germany, Austria, and Slovakia if I'm correct.

Most people don't give a hoot and just consider all white people to be the same giant racist problem. I'm not saying they're perfect, but it pisses me off that every other culture gets support groups in colleges and whatnot, while white people are left to either read obscure history of their origins, or just hate themselves like everyone else does. I was able to discover my roots, but many people like me will never get to because they were brainwashed by MTV.

edit on 3-12-2010 by WashingtonGrewHemp because: wrong word

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 03:55 AM
link   
reply to post by musicbetherapy

Sure black people get profiled and are looked at with distrust and often times fear by a segment of polite society. But guess what, uptight white people look at anyone who isnt plain and Howdy Doody white like they are. I have experienced it first hand when going places with black friends. But I have lived the other side of that coin as well, having been one of the only white people in an entirely hispanic neighborhood for several years.

And being that Im a big guy covered with tattoos I have gotten the looks and the stares and the hush hush treatment many times as well. Not just by white people, but by judgemental types in general, including other whites. Prejudice isnt always exclusive to white people, and it isnt always against someone of a different race

I am probably one of the most hated and discriminated against types of people in all of entire society - a non religious heterosexual male caucasian from the American south.......according to most groups Im the scum of the Earth.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 04:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlackOps719
reply to post by musicbetherapy

Sure black people get profiled and are looked at with distrust and often times fear by a segment of polite society. But guess what, uptight white people look at anyone who isnt plain and Howdy Doody white like they are. I have experienced it first hand when going places with black friends. But I have lived the other side of that coin as well, having been one of the only white people in an entirely hispanic neighborhood for several years.

And being that Im a big guy covered with tattoos I have gotten the looks and the stares and the hush hush treatment many times as well. Not just by white people, but by judgemental types in general, including other whites. Prejudice isnt always exclusive to white people, and it isnt always against someone of a different race

I am probably one of the most hated and discriminated against types of people in all of entire society - a non religious heterosexual male caucasian from the American south.......according to most groups Im the scum of the Earth.

Please all you have to do is put on a backwards hat and people wont even look you in the eye. Take the hat off and all of a sudden everyone wants to talk to you again. Then again I guess the "mean mug" never really helps?? Learn to smile more

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 04:07 AM
link   
Science shows that 99.9 percent of our DNA is the same, according to the National Human Genome Research Institute, but what makes up the remaining 0.1 percent? That question has stirred much debate, and many have used the uncertainty to fuel political wars about perceived biological differences based on race. But the latest study on the subject supports previous findings that say race doesn't exist.

diversityinc.com...

I'm all for following cultural traditions, but just skin colour is poinless, IMO.

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join