It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is white pride a bad thing?

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 12:48 AM
link   
There are 7 deadly sins...
Lust
Gluttony
Greed
Sloth
Wrath
Envy
Pride
If something is classified as a deadly sin, isnt it inherently bad? How about some ethnic humility and we all put this sinful pride behind us and move on as a singular race of one people seeking a common good for all? Anyone think thats possible? Why not? Come on people now, smile on your brother, everybody get together try to love one another right now.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by cj6
reply to post by mayabong

What exactly have whites had to fight for or struggle for?? Umm..nothing!! They moved from place to place slaughtering natives and taking over. Is that what you wanna celebrate?? If theres something specific for whites to celebrate then please enlighten me...

And i agree that whites dont really have a "culture" thats just my opinion.

I havent read all the thread since this sort of thing ends up pretty nasty, but id like to say...

White culture is the current modern western society you are currently living... that is our culture, the problem is because its the majority and everyone lives it, its not thought of as a culture, its been assimilated into other cultures and assimilated other cultural trait to the point where its the basis for most modern ways of life.

My ancestral people (the pre Roman British tribes) where more or less assimilated by a foreign power, the Roman empire a millennium ago, my ancestral culture was and has been more or less wiped from the historical records and only in the last few decades has it slowly been looked into and slowly being reclaimed (although some historians still refuse to look past the Roman Britain and consider the pre Roman Britain and Europe as nothing but barbarian tribes living in animal skins and killing each other, which it appears is completely the opposite of what it really was, the damage to history was that extensive thanks to the Romans selectively rewriting history and most people taking their historical accounts as fact)... my culture was for all intensive purposes extinct... that is the hardship my race endured, it just happened so long ago and so thoroughly that no one even bothers to think about it.

Yes my own race ended up emulating the same people who almost destroyed them... we know that is a common trait in history, its happened before it'll happen again.

Why on earth do I have to feel guilty about what my ancestors did centuries ago, yes it was bad but they contributed a hell of a lot at the same time, we wouldnt be here as it is now if we hadnt done alot of those things good or bad.

I am white, I have a cultre and i have a rich history as rich as any 'native'... this reminds me of how a good number of Maori here in New Zealand seem to consider all whites as invaders who should go home, which is laughable... me , as in me the person is as native to this land as any Maori, i as born here and made of its soil, this is my land it doesnt matter how long I was here I am a Native, as native as any one who claims to be first...

I dont have white pride, and ANY pride in your race can be a very dangerous thing... but i am proud of my history, my peoples accomplishments, good and bad and I embrace that history as any person should with their own.

Sorry about the rant, I just find the attitude of some people towards white people just because they have darker skin and therefore are historically special as some sort of put upon native who are the only people who have therefore suffered, and have a culture, infuriating.

edit on 3-12-2010 by BigfootNZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 01:01 AM
link   
one could argue that culture itself of any kind is a main cause of friction between groups. isn't that why we hate each other so much? thats why people of like habits and beliefs bunch up into countries usually geographically separate from other countries...by design. our 'culture' is really just the things we do as a group that are different from what other groups do...and where does racial hatred come from? it comes from those very differences. man clearly has some kind of innate aversion to the unfamiliar. 'if they don't look and act like me, they're the enemy'. so as we celebrate our cultural differences, in a way we're applauding those aspects of our people that ironically make us targets for hatred by others doing the same thing. we're kinda set up to disagree it seems.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 01:05 AM
link   
I completely agree:
What would happen with any attempt of the following?
Creation of "White Entertainment Television" or a "white" Starz premium t.v channel, white only college scholarships, a white version of NAACP, white history month, or any organization advocating the white race.

There would be a ridiculous outrage from every ethnic group, crying racism.

Racism is:
BET - Black Entertainment Television
Black Starz Channel - promotes movies with black actors
Affirmative action - minorities get extra help within college point systems. Why should they get an edge?
Black History Month
Government programs designated only for minorities
Minority hiring/promotion quotas
etc.. that's just off the top of my head

There really should be no special treatment because of race

People that display any reasonable/respectable show of white pride are deemed racist and/or politically incorrect. I am proud to be white, proud to show it, and I am not racist.

If minorities get all their bells and whistles I want ours....

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 01:06 AM
link   
I am Caucasian and white as a sheet. Im an an American of Scottish, Italian and English decent. I do not own a kilt or belong to the mob or even drink tea....... things that are expected 0f me. However i practice white Americas culture regularly. I admire my ancestors culture in foods and garb, swords and song. Same equally with 0ther cultures. But these things are long behind me and are not a part of who i am. I have been told that i could not dress a certain way because it was black and i would be considered a "wigger" by people of my own shade and blacks. Or i could not wear my dickies and locs without being called a wannabee mexican by either whites or some hispanics ect.I l0ve the reacti0n i get 0ut f pe0pele when i g against the grain in my way i dress. Im simply the product of my environment. Wearing a cow boy hat, cow bot boots and wranglers is not me. But in todays culture we are taught to dress, talk, walk like the usual sterotype. What is expected of beings white, whatever that really is.

If i live in some small town im a dumb hick, if i live in a large city im special and more intelligent than the guy in Iowa. If i live in france im drunk on wine, if im Irish im at a pub. It does not matter if you are the subject of strife or had everything handed to you white black yellow or purple. People will always categorize one another tall short fat or thin. Life is not fair, yes affirmative action is a sham. Humanity is an imperfect species constantly evolving slowly but surely. The system is flawed and corrupt with bias agendas yes. However we are all opportunists as well and life is what you make of it. Just be happy there is only one YOU, and you are a one of a kind and not part of some tribe of color. 0nly thing t0 celebrate is y0ur individuality as a pers0n because genetically there is a far larger difference between pers0ns 0f same c0lr than between individual race. S0 n0w we all have s0mething t0 celebrate

Where is a the beer?

P.S. Gingers have n0 s0ul
edit on 3-12-2010 by Unknown Soldier because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 01:08 AM
link   
"Black Pride" became a slogan in the 1960's. Marxist dialectic teaches that in order to get people to rise up, they have to acquire class consciousness.

Most nationalist movements (like Italians independence in the 19th century, for example) revolved around culture. Yet the American descendants of African slaves had been severed from their ancestral culture; hardly one American black in a thousand knows more that a score of words in any of the major African languages. So marxist and nationalist leaders from Malcom X to Ron Karenga (inventor of Kwanzaa) created a pan-africanist culture to replace the dominant culture.

(White) neo-pagans have done the exact same thing with Wicca and the Gardnerian stream of witchcraft.

In the United States, part of many St. Patrick's day festivities is eating corned beef and cabbage; although this has more to do with what food is sold in (Jewish) delicatessens of Philadelphia, Baltimore, Chicago and New York than it does with traditional Celtic diets.

As most posters have intuited, "white power" is an unnecessary term, since individual whites will feel much greater ethnic solidarity with their language or national groups, than with generic whites, some of whom may be seen as competitors (German v. Slav, Irish v Italian, etc).

In my experience, people who focus on their racial heritage are generally making up for a lack of personal success, by talking about their ancestors instead....

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Southern Guardian

Well it is a negative thing to me as anything else by its meaning would not make sense. If I was a dutchman, why on earth would I be proud of what the english or the germans achieved? Why would I be proud of being russian? It can be applied to so many other things. Why if I was Chinese would I be proud of the Japanese achieving something? Or then Japanese culture?

Being proud of a racial trait, being proud of being "white" makes no sense as it is just a trait...

I think you should ask the same questions but replace "white" with other colors. It would make for an interesting conversation. After a few generations the descendants of immigrants that came to America lose their national identity, and are proud of a less specific pool of forefathers. Therefore they're proud of what their continental background has accomplished.

I'm mixed race, by the way. And I think people have a right to racial pride. But you do have to take the good with the bad, since with pride comes a feeling of superiority or looking down at those who don't have the features or history that is valued. It's like rooting for a sports team and trash talking the other team. Or preferring Arabian horses over quarter horses. Discussions about specific pros and cons can get heated.

I also believe that people have the right to segregate themselves, unfortunately most American neighborhoods are self-segregating. I think there should be measures in place to preserve racial pools which have developed that way for specific reasons. If we mix everyone around the world with all other races, they'll become like me, and history and their unique genes will be lost forever. It's already happening to the Dutch, and other open nations in Europe.

edit on 3-12-2010 by dbriefed because: added missing sentence

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 01:14 AM
link   
BEIGE POWER!

No really, this thread is kinda, you know. What's the point in celebrating the colour of your skin?

To me, celebrating the colour of your skin is on the same level as celebrating the shape of your turd in the toilet.
edit on 3-12-2010 by Somehumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 01:17 AM
link   
reply to post by mayabong

all racial pride is silly. blacks, whites, asians, no one has anything to celebrate. woopty doo, you were born with a certain color in your skin. nobody owes you anything and there's nothing to celebrate.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 01:17 AM
link   
Okay, I've read through this thread and wanted to add my two cents....

I have to agree with the OP here, there is definitely a double standard. As others have pointed out, black and asian are no more a culture than white. Each of these terms covers a wide range of places where ones ancestors may have come from. In my case, I have ancestors from Ireland & Germany as well as North American Native. I look very native in every way except my skin tone, which is nearly ghost white (freckles included) & my deep red hair. (both thanks to my Irish grandmother) My three children are also very odd to look at. My youngest looks very native, complexion and all, my middle child is blonde with blue eyes, my eldest son is just like me. I've even had more than one person quietly suggest we adopted our middle child.

My point is, if it is not okay for someone to lump the many cultures that make up the "white race" into a "white culture," then why is it perfectly acceptable for other groups to do so? The thing is, IMO it should not be acceptable and the only thing I believe it accomplishes is to regress our country to a time we should learn from, not repeat. Why put so much into ensuring all people are treated as equals in our country if those same groups then do things that only serve to further separate themselves? It seems so counter-productive to make a station called Black Entertainment Television and then have NAACP complains & bring lawsuits against other networks because they are not diverse enough. (Hello! BET executives, where is your diversity?)

I guess it just bothers me that people reduce their identity to a skin color when race is nothing but an anthropological classification to distinguish where a persons ancestors came from. When someone asks what my race is, I answer truthfully, I'm a mix of Caucasoid and Mongoloid because white is not a race. These are actually races- Caucasoid, Mongoloid, Negroid, Capoid & Australoid. There are sub-races, but these are the main ones and White, Black, Asian, etc. are not among them.

Anyone up for some Caucasoid or Mongoloid pride? Just joking... How could one fit that on a t-shirt? lol

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 01:22 AM
link   
After reading 10 pages

a song popped in my head

take the time and relax

and another

edit on 12/3/2010 by EvilBat because: added take warning

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by mayabong
I realize that whites haven't had the best track record but neither have all these other cultures.

This statement right here is so ignorant; I don't know where to begin.

So what you're saying is individual races have track records now? How skewed... Try to look at it from a third party perspective. As a human-being (regardless of race) my "track record" is quite different from any other human-being, or Caucasian (such as myself) for that matter.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by EvilBat
After reading 10 pages

a song popped in my head

take the time and relax

and another

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 01:35 AM
link   
reply to post by lynn112

My favorite part of your post is at the end. I found it utterly hilarious when I told my ignorant brother, that those so called 'dirty pakis' were, in fact, caucasians. Isn't that just the greatest truth in this whole debate? I've decided I'm no longer white, I'm light-skinned.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by FermiFlux
Being white isn't a culture.

And other races don't celebrate because they are whatever colour they are, they celebrate the history of their race, and the hardships that have been overcome.

Yes when I see a Hispanic with "brown pride" that is exactly what I think. Oh hes celebrating the history of his race.

And race is color...so if they are celebrating the history of their race, they are celebrating their color. Culture however isn't always 100% race related its more demographic.

Maybe you meant celebrating culture.

Anyhow, all I know is if there was a TV channel called WET (white entertainment) like their is BET (black entertainment) there would be a huge fuss...its a double standard and everyone knows it.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 01:41 AM
link   
"Everybody should f**k everybody until we're just one color." - Bullworth

And people basically will eventually and im sure Affirmative Action will still be used, an obsolete concept since the end of the civil rights movements.

one thing is for sure, after a Nuclear Holocaust the only things left standing will be cockroaches and Affirmative Action.

edit on 3-12-2010 by Unknown Soldier because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 01:44 AM
link   
do you know what white privlege is? its the privleges we white people get from oppressing people of color. some of us dont eaven know we do it, but its there nun the less. white pride is just another form of oppresion. trying to keep people of color in there place and its f#!%# up!

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 01:47 AM
link   
I have to agree.. For example here in the uk, we had to change the name of a blackboard because it was deemed racist (not sure how that works) we have to call it a chalkboard.. But a White board is still a whiteboard.. Also we can't call Christmas that anymore in case it offends people, we now call it the festive season..
We have the mobo awards which is music of black origin awards, but if you had a music of white origin awards, it wouldn't be allowed and would be deemed racist.. And the worst example is that we can't display the st georges cross (englands flag) or the union jack (great Britain) because that too is supposedly racist.. although you can display any other flag without problem...
We definitely can't express our culture here in England...

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 01:52 AM
link   
I'm going to finish a thought I put on here. I didn't really think it through when I typed it but, I've decided I'm no longer white. I'm a light skinned Caucasian, that is my genetic heritage. But I am not white, like I'm not black or Asian. I'm me. I subscribe to no racial culture because it's silly, I know where I came from but it doesn't matter. Like it doesn't matter, what shade another person is. We all think, feel and dream, to me that's enough reason to warrant acceptance as a fellow human.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 01:58 AM
link   
you got a point. people keep pointing out the difference between culture and skin color, but in america hispanics celebrate "brown pride" and blacks celebrate "black pride" or "black power" that sounds like they are proud of their skin color to me. white people don't have culture, huh? then why was europe developed while a lot of other places were worshiping goat carcasses and living in mud houses or caves, and in some cases still do. does dancing around a fire smeared in mud and horse crap mean you are cultured? no culture? look in an art museum. look at the cars on the road, invented by whites. check out some of our buildings we have been building for a couple thousand years. yeah, that's what i thought.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join