It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan, US to conduct biggest ever military drill

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   
This will be the last warning. Stay on topic and refrain from personal commentary on other posters.

edit on Thu, 02 Dec 2010 17:23:19 -0600 by MemoryShock because: Clarity.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Japan has a very powerful military, especially for its size.

Now how far out is the Carl Vinson and its strike group?

Another good question would be is: Where are the B-2s at? If the answer is Guam, well North Korea needs to play nice. There are some serious chess moves and preparations underway. We will not be taken by surprise. If the DPRK tries anything, we will be ready and we will respond overwhelmingly.
edit on 2/12/10 by MikeboydUS because: bananas

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
Japan has a military? 0o

I thought their entire military consists of 14 guys with guns, a converted crop duster, and a pimped out toyota with some armor on the side...

aka, the japanese military is tiny...strictly self defense tiny since the end of WW2

Nope nope nope. That's what they want you to think.

Technically, under its constitution, Japan is prohibited from making war and allowed only "Self-Defense Forces." However, although the situation was undoubtedly intended to be closer to the image you describe in your post, the reality is quite different.

This ranking, for example, calles Japan a "sleeper power" and ranks it as the ninth-most powerful military nation on earth, ahead of nations such as Turkey, Israel, South Korea, and Saudi Arabia:
www.globalfirepower.com...

The above is one example and shows how there is more to Japan's military than meets the eye.

The fact of the matter is, Japanese military spending is huge. They have top-notch sea power in particular and advanced weaponry systems. Although it is a national taboo for obvious reasons, Japan could easily go nuclear in about a month if necessary. It has advanced breeder reactors and a great deal of weapons-grade plutonium.

edit on 12/2/10 by silent thunder because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by allthegoodusernamestaken

Originally posted by AbandonFaieth

Originally posted by allthegoodusernamestaken

Originally posted by AbandonFaieth
reply to post by allthegoodusernamestaken

wow wishing death upon innocent sailors? how is that diplomatic? how is that moral?

It isn't diplomatic or moral. It would be so funny though.

Funny? to see 5000 + sailors dead or wounded?

Yes. They are only Americans, after all.

Very nice.

I could say that I wish that China would test an ICBM on your island, that apparently has so little going for it that it has been referred to as being a place northwest of France.

But I won't do that.

China doesn't own us, unlike you. They could use the Midwest as a testing range to repay the $13 Trillion you owe them.
edit on 2-12-2010 by allthegoodusernamestaken because: (no reason given)

You sure are a funny troll.

I hope when the USA inevitably does rule the world, I hope we put your entire country to work as slaves. Hmmm.. hahahaha, you will bow down to our greatness, you ignorant Brit.

Damn, it feels good to be an American. Smile to the CCTV cameras for us!

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

I no no no my friend they have the latest and greatest us tech on hand don't be fooled .The japanese military are high speed low drag.
I have been to Japan many times from Yonazawa to Kashiwa to Noda.

They caught us with our pants down didn't they..

RB

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   
I would be very interested to see any troop movment reports on China's boarder with NK . It's not so much the wests posture that would indacate any upcoming attack , it would be China and what they would be doing to secure there boarder with NK . China would be tipped off before any attack and china would have to make preparations for the waves of NK troops and citizens crossing the boarder looking for a safe haven .

China has been on status quo with there boarder to NK for a long time and there for they would be the ones who would have to change millatary posture / arangment with NK if something big was coming .

IMHO any who
edit on 2-12-2010 by Max_TO because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Is it worth mentioning for point of interest that Japan is still " technically " at war with Russia ?

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

I was lead to believe that the Japanese military was constitutionally bottlenecked as well so I did a quick search for some numbers. It looks like this is a misconception as the Japanese are limited to spending 3% of gdp on military...but figures show that non-US NATO nations only spend about 2% of their gdp on military on average. I also read that in 2003 Japan outspent China militarily in absolute terms.
edit on 2-12-2010 by NightShift because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by PatriotsPride

This is a huge drill and sends a major statement to the North Koreans!!

agreed, this sends a major statement to Kim Jong... but if it should escalate they will be there for the N.Korean people too.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 09:49 PM
link   
I don't think this can be useful in daunting N.k. and this is really a provocation for China ...Japan is just a trouble-maker ,who want to make everything a mess and make use of every bit of time that its host ---America provides.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Japan has a military? 0o

I thought their entire military consists of 14 guys with guns, a converted crop duster, and a pimped out toyota with some armor on the side...

aka, the japanese military is tiny...strictly self defense tiny since the end of WW2

Well...

Around 34,000 Japanese military personel with 40 warships and 250 aircraft

Sounds like some decent show of force

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka

Around 34,000 Japanese military personel with 40 warships and 250 aircraft

Sounds like some decent show of force

That's actually larger than the present US force that's tagging along with them

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Can you imagine going back to 1941, and showing this article to Japanese/American soliders??

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lafaso870
I don't think this can be useful in daunting N.k. and this is really a provocation for China ...Japan is just a trouble-maker ,who want to make everything a mess and make use of every bit of time that its host ---America provides.

China has sided with civilization, and you don't have to worry... Japan will release Godzilla on someone.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Sounds like China's not happy at all.....

www.mysinchew.com...

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by freetree64

Sounds like China's not happy at all.....

www.mysinchew.com...

what kind of source is this ? let me guess I am in the "Alternative News" section

news.bbc.co.uk...

China and Russia have already signed a United Nations resolution approving tougher sanctions against North Korea.

so we can tell where the real world is going with this right...

edit on 12/2/2010 by Cosmic.Artifact because: ~

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Clarification and update on my previous post. Japanese military budget limited to 3% of budget, not GDP.

Figures regarding military spending in terms of absolute expenditure and percentage of GDP can be found here: en.wikipedia.org...

Japan ranks 7th out of over 150 listed in terms of absolute expenditure and is comparable to Germany.
edit on 2-12-2010 by NightShift because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Cosmic.Artifact

Hey Cosmic, that is a report taken from "AP", credible enough for ya??????

Second alternative line....

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by freetree64
reply to post by Cosmic.Artifact

Hey Cosmic, that is a report taken from "AP", credible enough for ya??????
wi
Second alternative line....

nope

I go with what they feed the masses and draw my own picture from that point, why waste valuable thought process on someone else's idear ?

China is just waking up do you really think they will go for WW3 just so short a period after building all those nice buildings and stuff...

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Japan has a military? 0o

I know! Until recently I didn't even realize that Japan had a military. I thought they were still demilitarized and it was America's responsibility to defend them like they were an independent protectorate or something.

North Korea better watch out for some crazy on crazy action! Kamikaze b****es!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join