It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Authorities seek WikiLeaks founder; website moves from Amazon's servers to new servers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 03:38 AM
link   

WASHINGTON – The U.S. government, apparently aided by freelance computer hackers, chased WikiLeaks from an American commercial computer network and temporarily stopped the leak of embarrassing diplomatic documents. But within hours, the website was back online, publishing from a fortified bunker in Sweden.

The virtual chase Wednesday was mirrored by a real-life pursuit as European authorities hunted for the site's fugitive founder, Julian Assange, who is wanted in Sweden on rape charges.

Undeterred, Assange continued releasing confidential government documents. Some showed how the Obama administration and Congress helped persuade Spain not to pursue charges against members of George W. Bush's administration for allowing torture of terrorism suspects.

Amazon.com Inc. prevented WikiLeaks from using the U.S. company's computers to distribute State Department communications and other documents, WikiLeaks said Wednesday. The WikiLeaks site was inaccessible for several hours before it returned to servers owned by its previous Swedish host, Bahnhof, which are housed in a protective Cold-War era bunker. Tech blogs have compared it to a lair from a James Bond movie.

Yahoo! News

This is getting ugly. The U.S. is getting other countries to side with them in calling Assange's release of classified documents illegal, and will be pursuing him to place him under arrest.

I was unaware that Amazon.com was hosting the Wikileaks site, but apparently it went down today after the government basically forced Amazon's hand in shutting them down. Assange's middle finger went up, and within a few hours their site was moved to servers in Sweden located in a cold-war style bunker.

I wonder how much longer it will be before they arrest him. But even if they do he has enough people in place to continue Wikileaks for a long time. Hopefully this will push forward the release of the classified bank documents, which I'm anxious to read about. Guaranteed that whichever bank it turns out to be, if you are a shareholder the stock will sink like a stone, so if you have suspicion of which bank it is you might want to dump the stock very soon.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 05:02 AM
link   
Good morning, PJSlug,

How did PFC Manning convey the "leaked" emails or "cables" to Wikileaks webmaster Assange (ie, mail, courier, in person)? According to the news (local radio broadcast) Manning copied half the information to a CD bearing the Lady Gaga label, and the other half to a USB drive, then conveyed same to webmaster Assange.

Apologies if this has already been published here on ATS, I couldn't find the answer.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 05:56 AM
link   
Tracing the website from here shows it is now hosted in France.

Looks like they are getting chased down??

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 06:37 AM
link   
A senator warned with boycott of Amazon and this threat was enough for Amazon to close this server. This is sad

But I am sure that many people will boycott Amazon now, me included. This is a bad move of Amazon

I also have my doubts that we can fully trust Amazon with data privacy. I wouldn't be surprised if US authorities have access on customer informations, including the books they bought.

top topics

join