It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gary McKinnon - Made Famous - World goes Insane

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Okay I was just asked a question by someone on another board... in it a comment was made...

"look what the US did with Gary MacKinnon.."

Well I had not heard much about him for some time so I looked up to see what the current status was...

Well I found this thread on google

WikiLeaks cables: US spurned Gary McKinnon plea from Brown
www.abovetopsecret.com...

so Gary makes the Wikileaks important break of the day list. I then wanted to see the state of his extradition.. and I found his page on wikipedia...

Really?

John Lear had his page deleted because his career, life and UFO material wasn't important enough, but a wanna be weed smoking hacker, whose only claim to fame was looking at some unprotected NASA computers, seeing a list of Naval Space Command officers and a pic of a ship, but being to dumb to remember to hit screen capture or even check his temp internet cache... gets a full detailed page on wikipedia and now wiki leaks makes him front page news again..

WTF? Has the world gone insane? Seriously this is ridiculous

And where is he now? Has he been extradited? Served time? I mean its been what 9 years now? Well here is what Wikipedia says

On 20 July 2010 Tom Bradby, ITN political editor, raised the Gary McKinnon issue with President Barack Obama and Prime Minister David Cameron in a joint White House press conference who responded that they have, in fact, discussed it and are working to find an 'appropriate solution'

Yet according to the Gaurdian

Leaked US embassy cables reveal that Gordon Brown unsuccessfully put his reputation as prime minister on the line in a plea to Washington that the computer hacker Gary McKinnon be allowed to serve any sentence in the UK.

Brown's face-to-face attempt to strike a deal with the US ambassador was spurned by the Obama administration, in a humiliating diplomatic rebuff.

Washington now appears to be just as intransigent with Brown's successor, David Cameron. The Cameron government has failed to announce whether or not it will comply with continued US demands to hand over McKinnon after he hacked into their government computers.

www.guardian.co.uk...

Well I guess I should hang up my hat and go back to my Crown and my sword play... because with all the work I have done, I don't get a wiki page or direct intervention from the Prime Minister or the President.

I guess it shows that failure gets the rewards... total lunacy...

:shk:

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 02:18 AM
link   
Mr.McKinnon could be put to good use.

He may be looked upon as a sort of hero someday.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 02:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by chiponbothshoulders
He may be looked upon as a sort of hero someday.

hero? For what precisely?

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 02:57 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Maybe it's because you haven't been caught yet..

To be noticed you need to do time...

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 03:12 AM
link   
So Gary Mckinnon stayed long enough in your mind to think of looking into his case again? It is not what Gary actually did that gives him continued press but the fact that the extradition treaty is so lop-sided and therefore people in the UK are are busy fighting his case. The man is autistic and is not "dumb" as you call him.

www.guardian.co.uk...
edit on 2-12-2010 by sueloujo because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 04:20 AM
link   
Can't the UK just grow some balls and tell them NO !?
Did G. Brown actually beg on his knees or litterally lick some shoes ?

I think that this case deserves some attention but not of this kind.
And anyway, what kind of leverage does the UK gov have with so many US nukes laying around.

If you leave your home but don't lock the door. If you get robbed without any proof of infraction, what will the insurance tell you ? They'll tell you to ....

They left their computers un protected, well, too bad. They know they are a target. I think i read somewhere that these computers get attacked several hundred times per day.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 04:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack
Maybe it's because you haven't been caught yet..

To be noticed you need to do time...

Well the DoD agent (AF intel) who use to actually post here did come and 'visit'... but that went pretty good actually
Do time huh? Well I will pass on the fame and wikipage then... he can have it

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 04:36 AM
link   
Mr.McKinnon does have some mental health problems if i remember and thats why they are fighting not to let the americans have him.

In think this needs to be taken into account before you slate the guy.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 04:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by blaenau2000
Mr.McKinnon does have some mental health problems if i remember and thats why they are fighting not to let the americans have him.

I think this needs to be taken into account before you slate the guy.

Sorry double post.
edit on 2-12-2010 by blaenau2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 04:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by sueloujo
So Gary Mckinnon stayed long enough in your mind to think of looking into his case again?

No someone brought him up, as I said, so I looked at the current situation

It is not what Gary actually did that gives him continued press but the fact that the extradition treaty is so lop-sided and therefore people in the UK are are busy fighting his case.

Why don't they just say 'NO'? Afterall he is a British citizen, right? And what extradition? Its been 9 years and he is still free... has no one figured out yet that this is all just a game? When are they going to extradite? A date been set yet?

The man is autistic and is not "dumb" as you call him.

Well that is the current line of defense NOW, yes... but there was no mention of that at the beginning...

In fact here it is from Gary himself...

"What was the most exciting thing you saw?" I ask.

"I found a list of officers' names," he claims, "under the heading 'Non-Terrestrial Officers'."

"Non-Terrestrial Officers?" I say.

"Yeah, I looked it up," says Gary, "and it's nowhere. It doesn't mean little green men. What I think it means is not earth-based. I found a list of 'fleet-to-fleet transfers', and a list of ship names. I looked them up. They weren't US navy ships. What I saw made me believe they have some kind of spaceship, off-planet."

"The Americans have a secret spaceship?" I ask.

"That's what this trickle of evidence has led me to believe."

"Some kind of other Mir that nobody knows about?"

"I guess so," says Gary.

"What were the ship names?"

"I can't remember," says Gary. "I was smoking a lot of dope at the time. Not good for the intellect."

Nothing about autism... just pot... And this is a 'hero' in the UK? Sorry, but doesn't work for me. Yeah I think the whole charge is stupid as well, but then the FBI is setting up mixed up kids as bombers these days.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 04:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon
John Lear had his page deleted because his career, life and UFO material wasn't important enough, but a wanna be weed smoking hacker, whose only claim to fame was looking at some unprotected NASA computers, seeing a list of Naval Space Command officers and a pic of a ship, but being to dumb to remember to hit screen capture or even check his temp internet cache... gets a full detailed page on wikipedia and now wiki leaks makes him front page news again..

WTF? Has the world gone insane? Seriously this is ridiculous

And where is he now? Has he been extradited? Served time? I mean its been what 9 years now? Well here is what Wikipedia says

On 20 July 2010 Tom Bradby, ITN political editor, raised the Gary McKinnon issue with President Barack Obama and Prime Minister David Cameron in a joint White House press conference who responded that they have, in fact, discussed it and are working to find an 'appropriate solution'

Yet according to the Gaurdian

Leaked US embassy cables reveal that Gordon Brown unsuccessfully put his reputation as prime minister on the line in a plea to Washington that the computer hacker Gary McKinnon be allowed to serve any sentence in the UK.

Brown's face-to-face attempt to strike a deal with the US ambassador was spurned by the Obama administration, in a humiliating diplomatic rebuff.

Washington now appears to be just as intransigent with Brown's successor, David Cameron. The Cameron government has failed to announce whether or not it will comply with continued US demands to hand over McKinnon after he hacked into their government computers.

www.guardian.co.uk...

Well I guess I should hang up my hat and go back to my Crown and my sword play... because with all the work I have done, I don't get a wiki page or direct intervention from the Prime Minister or the President.

I guess it shows that failure gets the rewards... total lunacy...

:shk:

You will not get your fat yank hands on him if the British public have anything to do with it. You will NEVER get the opportunity to torture him or label him a terrorist. Our government needs to grow some balls and tell you outright to # off.
edit on 2-12-2010 by allthegoodusernamestaken because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 04:48 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Here's my thread on McKinnon: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Also, nothing about autism?

In August 2008, McKinnon was diagnosed by three of the world's leading experts (Professor Simon Baron-Cohen, Professor Jeremy Turk and Professor Thomas Bernie) as suffering from an autism spectrum disorder compounded with clinical depression.
- from his Wiki page.

I don't really get what your point is with this thread zorgon

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 05:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by allthegoodusernamestaken
You will not get your fat yank hands on him if the British public have anything to do with it. You will NEVER get the opportunity to torture him or label him a terrorist. Our government needs to grow some balls and tell you outright to # off.

I'm good with that
Americans could use some of those balls to... but seriosly its been 9 years and no action... and yet it shows up as one of the all important wikileaks documents? Really? The ambassadors have no more pressing business?

Ah well in a few years the UK will be the next Muslim state and America will emulate the NAZI's only much worse if you watch the daily news. I really need to find out if these Aliens have a place to hang out for a few decades

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 05:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by LiveForever8
Also, nothing about autism?

At the beginning of this drama. no. As your link points out that was diagnosed in 2008, 6 years after the 'interview' by police as wiki puts it

I don't really get what your point is with this thread zorgon

Simple... I don't see his contribution to UFOlogy justifying this much importance and hero worship put on him, by either the Gov or the Gary Huggers. It just makes no sense.

But I guess people prefer a good story to any real disclosure... autistic or pothead, point is he got nothing... from computers that were wide open so their was nothing hacked and the charges are nothing but a mockery. So bottom line is a whole lot of fuss about nothing

Ah well I guess I will go find me another blurry moon rock to play with

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 05:23 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

You are right, Zorgon. Gary did nothing more than just talk.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 05:30 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Simple... I don't see his contribution to UFOlogy justifying this much importance and hero worship put on him, by either the Gov or the Gary Huggers. It just makes no sense.

I don't think many take his story THAT serious and I've certainly never heard of any 'Gary Huggers.' I think the reason so many people took his side was more political than conspiratorial, they could see he was being unfairly treated by a hypocritical government and so that won him many supporters. As for the level of attention the Government paid him, well, that is why I was left asking what he could have seen that he hasn't yet spoke about.

But I guess people prefer a good story to any real disclosure... autistic or pothead, point is he got nothing... from computers that were wide open so their was nothing hacked and the charges are nothing but a mockery. So bottom line is a whole lot of fuss about nothing

Yep, you could be right. There is no hard evidence, only his word and the circumstantial evidence that followed (eg. the circus that is his trial).

I still think it is a very interesting case all the same.

Ah well I guess I will go find me another blurry moon rock to play with

Yes, that's probably for the best

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 06:03 AM
link   

Zorgon , with all due respect the premise of Gary Mkinnons case has been pointed out by another poster and to be honest i would personally rather hear and read about him instead of John Lear , I know he is your friend and thats your prerogative but to be brutally honest i think that Mkinnons story is a hell of a lot more interesting then John Lears "fantasies " .

But , thats just me personally .

Yours respectfully .

Omega
edit on 2/12/2010 by Omega85 because: Proofing

top topics

join