It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Am I the only one (Sacramento, California) who notices?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 01:20 AM
link   
This doesn't have to deal with aliens or the government. As I browse the web daily. I see the same local news over and over again. Someone is either shot and or killed. I live in Sacramento, California and I thought some parts in California were only bad. Seems a huge uprising of shootings and murders have taken place.

News Article 1
News Article 2
News Article 3
News Article 4
News Article 5
Article 6
Article 7

I can find more articles. It just seems everything has gone worse and I feel like I'm the only one who is seeing continuing trends of shootings. Being from California and the U.S. I wonder if anyone else around the country or the world has notice an uprising in violent crimes.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 01:24 AM
link   
It is the collective stress of this place,and the collective release.

I have noticed it here in florida too.

Don't worry,it'll get worse.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by chiponbothshoulders

That's where I draw the line! I need to some how help the people and stop crime! I just don't know what to do. How can we stop all the shootings? Gun control laws? Most of these shooters purchase weapons illegally. It's not the responsibility on people who buy and sell guns legally. Maybe tougher laws on criminals who use guns to hurt or kill people.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 01:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

Crime in the United States has been in decline for the past 15 years or more.

What is probably happening is that your attention is being drawn to the stories, and you're noticing more and more them, as opposed to there actually being an increase in stories.

Chicago, for example, has about 450-500 homicides a year (with probably much higher numbers for shootings). This means that, on average, 1 or 2 people is killed in Chicago every day. Every DAY

Yes, it is a city with a high crime rate, but crime isn't going up... it's going down.

For example, Chicago's current homicide rate (around 450 in 2009) is down from 950 in 1992.

en.wikipedia.org...

Nationally, the US has one of the highest homicide rates in the world, but nevertheless, homicides are down substantially -- substantially -- since 1991.

en.wikipedia.org...

I understand that the shootings you're reading about are alarming, but I would suggest, for everyone's sake, that you do some research and compare your gut emotions to the available facts before you start alarming people with notions that just don't hold up to scrutiny.
edit on 12/4343/2010 by Pseudonaut because: formatting, added a few words

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 01:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

I want to shoot your avatar right now.

that being said.

Im a little surprised there has not been more killings. I noticed stealing have been on the rise. Damn thieves.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 01:51 AM
link   
I am not to far from you, but it seems like it has always been like this. I live in a decent neighborhood but there was a shooting in my neighborhood over the summer. We have all these people moving up north to get away from it down south, but they are bringing it with them.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 02:21 AM
link   
Yeah crime is down significantly from what it was decades ago. The crack explosion and all of that was at the heart of it, from what I can tell. Combined with various economic conditions.

Also, one thing that I think had a role in bringing crime rates down is the spread of video games, computers, more TV, etc. More media basically.

If you are sitting there watching a show, or playing a game, you can't possibly be out on the street causing trouble.

The more people that use media, the less crime there will be by default. It distracts us from having time to commit crimes.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 02:57 AM
link   
I'm also in Sacramento. Midtown actually, very near where the 10 year old got shot.

Originally I'm from Oxford in England, and I've lived here for just over a year. I've alway felt pretty safe in this neighborhood, however, it seems like over the past 2 or so months, it's gotten pretty scary. I've found myself more reluctant to walk around. It's a bit culture shock for me.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 03:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Chewlip

I understand. The only reason why I'm taking notice is that younger people are getting shot and other young people are responsible.

top topics

join