It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Israeli troops open fire on Lebanon'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 12:03 AM
link   
www.presstv.com...
The source doesn't say why Israel started firing or at what. Of course Israel also invaded the soverign airspace of Lebanon for the 8263 time since the ceasefire in violation of UN Res 1701 (Hezbollah is also in constant violation by refusing to disarm) The interresting thing is the firing came from two separate locations into different areas of Lebanon.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 12:24 AM
link   
The Israeli government sure does act a lot like the North Korean government at times.
Can we honestly say which government would most likely use nuclear weapons in an offensive war?

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by gem_man

Didn't Turkey say they would defend Lebanon?
This could get nasty..

s&f

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 12:41 AM
link   
and don't forget Iran and Syria who are also allies

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 02:11 AM
link   
Not that I am going to be taken as anything other than absolute support for Isreal I will give it a shot anyways....

PressTV is run by the Iranian Government, so I question the article on its face based on that. The issues occuring in Lebanon have a lot more to do with Hezbullah and the Government of Lebanon than Israel.

The UN report on the assasination of the Lebanese Prime Minister a few years back is done and out, and it implicate Hezbollah in the assasination. The Hezbollah MP's have gone on record stating any person who believes the report will be labeled a collabotr of Israel and the US and be put to death (othe reportsd give varying responses, but you get the idea).

Hezzbollah has also gone on record talking about a civil war with the cuirrent lebanese government over a disagreement in direction of policy etc. The point behind Hezbollah was to resist Israeli occupation of Southern Lebanon going back in the day, and until recently after the 2006 invasion / incursion.

Isreal recently withdrew all military units from Lebanese territory. Its possible Hezbollah has moved back in to the area. There were some borded incidents a few months back where Hezbollah fired on ISrael soldiers who "violated the border". It turns out the Israelis were still in Israeli territory.

Anyways, while I know Israel is not an Angel by any stretch of the imagination, I do ask people try to find more sources than just PressTv.

This site is founded on the premi of deny ignorance and to seek the truth. The truth is going to be all information from both sides, not just one.
edit on 2-12-2010 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 02:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Anyways, while I know Israel is not an Angel by any stretch of the imagination, I do ask people try to find more sources than just PressTv.

But if you wish to dispute the thread then you should post information from a credible source with different information...

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 05:56 AM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

PressTV - Wiki

Lebanon News Source

Israel conducts military drills near disputed Ghajar village

First an observation about the PressTV article. It does not referance any sources to verify. It exagerted the incident to make it go from news to propoganda.

Israel was holding military maneuvers near the border town of Ghajar, which has been a source of tension since Israel occupied it from the 2006 war. Israel is in the process of withdrawling from their haf of the village and if I am not mistaeken is working with the UN and Lebanon to recalrify the border to place the entire village in lebanon instead of it being split by the blue line.

Objections were raised by Syria over the Israeli withdrawal because the territory is supposedly Syrian and not Lebanese.

From the Daily Star

BEIRUT: Israel staged intensive military drills close to the disputed village of Ghajar Wednesday as Israeli warplanes conducted mock air raids across swaths of the south.

“Israeli troops opened intensive and random machine-gun fire at 11:00 am from their positions in the Occupied Shebaa Farms, particularly from the headquarters of Alam Sammaqa, for around half an hour,” the National News Agency (NNA) reported. “Loud explosions were heard in the area, which were accompanied by the flights of reconnaissance planes over the frontier separating the farms from occupied territories for more than one hour.”

The only thing Lebanon objected to was airspace violations by Israeli aircraft and drones, with the complaint going to the UN. As I said Israel is not an Angel, but PressTV takes things to a new extreme. Even Lebanese Papers mentioned nothing about shots being fired, and of all the media outlets in the Middle East, the only 2 that carried the story is PressTV (op source) and the Israeli-Palestinian news paper, run by the Palestinians (and in lockstep with Iranian news).

So while the Iranian version says Israel opened fire, which they did, Iran fails to mention the fact it was done in Israeli territory as part of training drills. Conviently left out because it shifts the story to imply Israel opened fire into Lebanon in some sort of attack and unprovoked agression.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   
There's no confirmation of any of this.. Was Israel shooting at any specific targets? Did anyone get hurt?

Another unconfirmed, vague, 'Israel is the devil' "scoop"..

Nice title though, if I didn't know any better I'd think Israel started a war with Lebanon..

Minus S&F for publishing an unconfirmed unreliable news article under a provocative misleading title.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Eliad

My post above yours contains the link to the Lebanon Star, their newspaper. Israel held wargames near the contested village that is being turned back over to Lebanon. They held live fire drills, and Iran reported it, but left out the live drill portion, which implied Israel just opened up on Lebanon in a unprovoked attack.

The onlything PressTV got somehwat correctly was the airspace violation by Iraeli airplanes and drones who did violate Lebanese airspace, which is not hard to do in countries the size of Israel and Lebanon.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   

You don't shoot at neighboring countries on live drills, did they shoot in the direction of Lebanon or not?

I was stationed on the Lebanese border, if you guys knew how tight ass the rules of engagement were.. You couldn't even fart in Lebanon's direction without authorization from the battalion commander..

So firing towards Lebanon as part of a drill? Impossible. Unless someone made a huge mistake in aiming.

Again, if I didn't know any better I'd think Israel just started a war. I really thought you were better than this, Gem Man..

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Eliad

No.. Israel did not fire any weapons into Lebanon, as the post and article state. The only complaint Lebanon filed was the breach of their airspace by Israeli jets and unmanned drones.

Iranian owned PressTV is the one reporting the shots into Lebanon, leaving it vague and omitting information to make it look like an unprovoked attack.

It was a live fire drill / training for Israeli forces in the area. Nothing more.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 03:34 PM
link   

This forum has truly reached a low, low point...

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Eliad

Considering every thread you have started is entirely Pro Israeli it's not surprising to see you post that..
Seems your views are as one sided as the OP's..

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Haven't you read the Wikileaks? Every country in the region, including UAE, Turkey are quietly allies with Israel, and all are terrified of Iran. Thanks to the good people at Wikileaks, the emperor has no clothes. Israel isn't the enemy, they are just a strawman for Islamists to rial up the locals. The real enemy is Iran, which runs PressTV by the way.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by finemanm

Wiki what..??

Wikileaks leaks toxic acid in every direction, except to Israel

palestinethinktank.com...

Do I have to say more buddy..??

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Honestly..??

Presstv is an Iranian state run propaganda unit, everyone knows that. But what makes you think that your source speaks of truth.??

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack

Originally posted by Eliad

Considering every thread you have started is entirely Pro Israeli it's not surprising to see you post that..
Seems your views are as one sided as the OP's..

I disagree with the one sided argument. I pointed out a second news source that clarified the first. If wrong doing occured, which in this case Lebanese airpsace was violated, a protest is filed, and was.

I was under the impression we were looking for the truth, which means looking at all sides, and at more than just one news article that is going to be biased 99 percent of the time when it comes to Israel. Finding the truth requires people to find the right answersd, regardless of what side of the argument it falls on.

I have criticised Israel and their policies in other threads. In this case, the media report from Iran was misleading, and it was clarified by the Lebanese Newspaper.

Why do you have such an aversion to truth?

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   

You did notice I was replying to Eliad's comments, not yours ?
So your post means nothing to me as I am always open to truth..

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by amkia

Honestly..??

Presstv is an Iranian state run propaganda unit, everyone knows that. But what makes you think that your source speaks of truth.??

Well for starters its not a western media outlet. Its the Lebanon Star, and contained an interview with a lebanese officer.

Since Israel has been bitch slapping Lebanon around for some time now, I cant see Lebanon downplaying the incident to protect Israeli actions. Based on your comment though, its disqualifies all media outlets.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack

You did notice I was replying to Eliad's comments, not yours ?
So your post means nothing to me as I am always open to truth..

I appologize.. When I saw the post I saw my name and thought it was directed at me. I didnt realize it was a response to another poster. Maybe I should take my own advice and read the entire post.

Sorry about that.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join