It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush Seeks Church Membership Rosters in Reelection Effort

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 10:28 AM
link   

President Bush, seeking to mobilize religious conservatives for his reelection campaign, has asked church-going volunteers to turn over church membership directories, campaign officials said on Thursday.
aolsvc.news.aol.com...

Well this doesn't sound so bad untill you read this part:

In a move sharply criticized both by religious leaders and civil libertarians, the Bush-Cheney campaign has issued a guide listing about two-dozen "duties" and a series of deadlines for organizing support among conservative church congregations.

Note the word duties. Now since when is voting for Bush a religious duty. And what of seperation of church and state? The Republicans pushed to end private groups from putting up political ads and won to a certain degree. This really disgusts me for the fact of using religion and god as a means to get reelected. No doubt he wants these names to start a mail roster to try and take advantage of people by wrapping his politics in religion.

[edit on 2-7-2004 by Hoppinmad1]

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 10:36 AM
link   
He has no authority. This man took office, yet obviously no one read him the bill of rights and explained his duties to him. especially the first part about freedom of Religion.
If you dont vote for Bush, he has your name on a roster, and hell come repay you after he has stolen the election.

Sounds alot like the tactics used by a certain dictator, whom i wont mention, who is currently on trial in Iraq for similar crimes.

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I have to comment on this - as a Christian. I am disgusted by the tactics these people use. They will stop at nothing to get elected. I have never in my life heard of such crap! I got one word for Bush: DESPERATE!

Any true Christian in their right mind should see through his BS! He and his ilk are nothing but wolves in sheep's clothing. If you need proof, just look to Dick Cheney (husband of Lynn Cheney - big mouthpiece for Concerned Women of America) - paramour of virtue and hypocrit extraordinnaire.

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Well I grew up in a southern baptist church. I know they will not stand for this at all. The southern baptist convention is fairly powerfull but they do not and never have advocated anything like this. Using a church pulpit to press your political beliefs is terribly wrong. I know that they would never give up the names and addresses of their members.

Hopefully this brings to light the fact that bush cares about nothing but retaining his power. Once he's elected again who knows what this man will screw up. He's not gonna do anything like the Iraq war again untill he can raise his hand and have the next 4 years to himself. Now maybe he won't have the chance if he continues to alienate those who supported him in the 2000 election.

new topics

top topics

join