It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trillions of Earths orbit red stars in older galaxies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Trillions of Earths orbit red stars in older galaxies

www.bbc.co.uk

Astronomers say the Universe may contain three times the number of stars as is currently thought.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Imagine if there were trillions of Earths like our own planet, how depressing is that?, trillions of earths with the same problems as ours.

My head hurts just thinking about it.

Hopefully some of the inhabitants of these earth's will have learned how get on with each other and live in peace and harmony, or maybe they have discovered how to travel at the speed of light (without getting turned to mulch) and wreak havoc on us with high intensity laser beams, sweet.

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by jonskie

Even worse if you think they could be all be different paralell galaxys, billions of possible realities, side by side but unreacable all the same in structure but different in context
now thtll give you a headache

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Considering they admit they can't account for 95% of the mass in the Universe, I'm not surprised to be hearing they are now considering there may be a lot more "normal" mass out there, instead of just copping out and proclaiming, "It must be Dark Matter/Dark Energy!" - stuff they can't even detect here on Earth.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Its highly unlikley they will find time to leave their galaxy for ours.

Galaxies are massive on scale that humans simply cannot comprehend, especially evidenced from fantasies like Star Wars and Star Trek. Both would easily fit in a real life spur from one of the galactic spiral arms.

The distances between galaxies are even more massive.

I would be more interested in the number of them in the Spur of Orion, our region of the galactic arm.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   
This just in?: there is other stuff in space besides Earth!

And we're not even in the center of the universe (anymore)! Golly gee willickers.

Statistically the universe should be teeming with other versions of Earth. It's like ever since the 1600's two different sorts of people have been butting heads about all of this, what we inevitably will have to come to realize if we ever evolve that far.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by jonskie

So the universe has limits?

Thats exactly what is implied.

How can they put a limit on how many stars there are, and then say there is 3 times as many?

They know nothing of the universe. Everytime there is a change in information a new star is formed. Think about how often the information is changing in your daily life, and multiplay that by an infinite amount.

Lets get real science.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by TedHodgson
reply to post by jonskie

Even worse if you think they could be all be different paralell galaxys, billions of possible realities, side by side but unreacable all the same in structure but different in context
now thtll give you a headache

The very thing you've said gives me a headache. What would make them different realities? They'd all be in the same reality as ours. You know Galaxies are different from Universes, right?

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Wow

So we went from a mind boggling amount of stars, to a mind boggling amount of stars x3

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Yeah, and they are discussing the large amounts of other habitable planets in the universe on a website called, secrettopabove.com?? (parallel and all that) just adding a bit of humour.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by JoeGibb

and there could be a member on it called Gibbjoe making a joke about alternate realities, his sky outside is Turqouise and Oysters grown on his lawn.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 04:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by onequestion
reply to post by jonskie

So the universe has limits?

Thats exactly what is implied.

How can they put a limit on how many stars there are, and then say there is 3 times as many?

They know nothing of the universe. Everytime there is a change in information a new star is formed. Think about how often the information is changing in your daily life, and multiplay that by an infinite amount.

Lets get real science.

They are talking about observable universe, that means only as far as we can see. Total size of our universe is unknown, and could be even infinite.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by TedHodgson

haha, a very open imagination you have there
much like myself. Glad im not the only one hehe

On a serious note now.

I was watching a documentary about the age of supernova's ending, (cosmic collisions if i can remember correctly). This means that there will be smaller long lasting stars like our sun, and the larger stars will be deemed 'rare'. which would mean the number of earth's decrease due to the lack of supernovas? (which creates stars, solar systems etc)

new topics

top topics

join