It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Westboro "baptist church" now picketting children's funerals.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Because someone slashed one of the tires on their vans, the Westboro ''Baptist Church'' has sank to an all new low for them; protesting CHILDRENS funerals.

Truly they have to be stopped. But on the flip side, there's that whole freedom of speech # everyone holds dear. How do you shut them up without imbarging on their rights (Is imbarging the right word?Spelling? Meh you get my point I'm sure) and/or screwing it for the rest of us?

Here is the link
www.koco.com...

Just scary, isn't it? These people.... there are no words to describe them. None at all. Sure I can bring about the most evil words and such, but it truly doesn't do the proper justice.
In case the link won't post for some as I've noticed in another topic I wrote, here is the full editorial:

TOPEKA, Kan. -- A controversial Kansas church is changing its protest plan after an incident in Oklahoma last week.

Members of the Westboro Baptist Church said they want revenge after someone slashed the tires on their van during visit to protest a military funeral in McAlester. The group said it plans to now target funerals for Oklahoma children.

The group said it planned to picket the funeral of an 8-year-old Burneyville girl who died in an accident at the Love County Fairgrounds last week, although no protesters were seen near the services. The group said it would be in Owasso on Thursday to protest the funeral of a girl who died in a car crash.

The Westboro Baptist Church's website now reads "God Hates Oklahoma" and "The Lord curses them by killing Oklahoma's children and casting them into hell. Thank God for more dead children in Oklahoma."

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   
If I lived near there I would personally do it the old mafia way and take a baseball bat to their knee caps. But thats just me, disgracing anything that has to do with children is just wrong and would not be tolerated by moi. Let them have their freedom of speech from their wheelchairs I would exercise some good old fashioned free speech with some sign language, sorry there doesn't seem to be a smiley that expresses my rant here.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by sarra1833Truly they have to be stopped. But on the flip side, there's that whole freedom of speech # everyone holds dear.

What? "That whole Freedom of Speech (expletive deleted) everyone holds dear"? Yes, I hold Freedom of Speech dear. For EVERYONE. You don't support freedom of speech? Too bad.

The word is "abridging" by the way.

Bill of Rights

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 01:52 PM
link   
They're there to piss you off, then you beg for someone to take their rights away, then you find out your rights got taken away as well, then you say "wait, that wasn't supposed to happen", then the people who took your rights away laugh at you.

You must control your emotions and use the force.......and use run-on sentences.

Peace

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   
I don't think "protest" means what Westboro Baptist Church thinks it means.

An 8 year-old girl dies in a car crash, and they want to go "protest" her funeral? What exactly are they protesting? Death?

You can call what they are doing by it's real name = mob insanity.

If an individual went to some 8 year-olds funeral and started ranting about whatever and harrassing the family, that person would probably be committed to a insane asylum, strapped into a straight jacket, and popped up full of meds.

But for some reason, when they do it as a group of people, it's "freedom of speech". Umm....right.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Rofl Dr Love, star for you.

At everyone else, I agree. This is something truly disgusting. But it IS freedom of speech. All I can advise is to make sure the funeral is held secretly to keep those jack #'s away. I don't think I would handle it very well if it were me, but that's what these jerks want.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
They're there to piss you off, then you beg for someone to take their rights away, then you find out your rights got taken away as well, then you say "wait, that wasn't supposed to happen", then the people who took your rights away laugh at you.

You must control your emotions and use the force.......and use run-on sentences.

Peace

Which is why I thought they could comfortably enjoy their freedom of speech from their wheelchairs!! This way no freedoms are taken away and some good old fashioned justice is served in the process. But you do make an excellent point there.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   
The comment about the ball bat got me to thinking.

Yes - in the older days that would no doubt be how it would be handled and the powers that be would probably look the other way.

After all - it was the time honored way of settling disputes. He who had the most, baddest, best equipped muscle won the fight, village, town, kingdom, etc.

However, unless its is state sponsored, violence is usually frowned upon today as a solution to local problems despite its long track record.

Indeed - Lawyers have replaced burly and rough men as the hired goons of today as disputes are settled with suits and counter-suits instead of knuckles and clubs.

Given that they have said this is being undertaken as a form of punishment and revenge I would think that leaves the door wide open to unleash the lawyers upon them. It sounds like intentional inflection of emotional distress to me, No doubt a copious dollar amount could be assigned to the pain this group is causing.

Though not usually known for their high moral standing I'm sure that for an act this lowly there would a lawyer or two willing to take a case and sue the pants off them.

PS - BH - I like the holiday look.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   
I cant stand these people... and what they are doing isnt really protected as Freedom of Speech IMO.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Having liberties comes with certain prices, and this is one of them--listening to absolute dummies practice their right to free speech. I don't know how I would act if they did this to someone in my family, and I feel for all of the military families and now children's families. The military families can take solace knowing that this misguided use of that freedom is what their son/daughter signed up to protect and defend.

edit on 1-12-2010 by MGriff because: (no reason given)

CX

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   
If they truely intend to do what the article implies, then in a country so full of guns i find it hard to see why these people are still standing.

I understand when people cry "free speech", but those who exercise their right to free speech also have to accept what comes to them when they cross the line with it.

CX.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Well the actual article is even more disturbing than the posts to date.

Is this the way of Jesus?
Have these people had a humanity-bypass?
Aren't they scared of angry mourners beating the snot out of them??
edit on 1-12-2010 by tiger5 because: punctuation

CX

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by tiger5
Aren't they scared of angry mourners beating the snot out of them??
edit on 1-12-2010 by tiger5 because: punctuation

Apparently not, they just take them to court and gain more money for their cause.

I therefore refer you to my above post.

CX.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Seriously, how many people would shed a tear if their church was burned down.... with them in it?

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by MGriff

You know what would be beautiful, when the pastor dies, thousands of gays show up and show loving kindness and support to the grieving family members,

edit on 023131p://bWednesday2010 by Stormdancer777 because: and send flowers............................

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
reply to post by MGriff

You know what would be beautiful, when the pastor dies, thousands of gays show up and show loving kindness and support to the grieving family members,

edit on 023131p://bWednesday2010 by Stormdancer777 because: and send flowers............................

I think I just fell out of my chair on that one.
Star for you, LOLOL

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Seriously, how many people would shed a tear if their church was burned down.... with them in it?

I dont want to see them die... I just want them to shut the heck up and stop acting moronic.
You can protest things and then you can go overboard... thats where its crossing the line. This includes the abortion protesters. You can protest and then you can cross the line. If people are too self-centered or too ignorant to see where that line is, it has to be drawn for them.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
reply to post by MGriff

Only if the flamers come too.
Id laugh myself to death if I saw a 6.5" guy in a tank top and pink spandex bike shorts comforting the widow. ( Boy, can I stereotype or what!?)

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   
they have the freedom of speech to protest however they want, and other people have the freedom of speech to tell what they feel to their face. I don't condone the tire slashing, I obviously can sympathize with why it happened but that would be an infringement upon their rights, so trying to shut them up is not the right way.

How about this: they are a bunch of religious nut bags who worship their cult like grandfather's racism against homosexuals.

How's that for freedom of speech?

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by sarra1833

Well turn about is fair play. They have a church, RIGHT Time for a LOVE IN! Just in time for all their services.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join