It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unarmed female Mexican police chief gunned down on way to work in latest drug gang hit

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wildbob77
As long as drugs are illegal, we will continue to see drug cartels and the violence associated with trafficking in a highly profitable substance.

Take the money out of the drug market by making them legal and you won't have gangsters running this violent business.

I think this is one of the most naieve statements I have seen yet regarding drugs. What makes people think that if drugs were legalized here in the states that production of such drugs would move to this country? Do you really think drug cartels are going to just up and move to the US to produce drugs under a Federal mandate in terms of purity, quality etc?

No. They will stay in Mexico and continue to grow / produce it cheap enough where they can see a 1000% profit on the sale. The drug trade is so lucrative they are not going to just give it up and go home because its now legal. Dont belive me look at almost any business that has closed up shop here and moved operations to another country because its cheaper, resulting in lower overhead and greater profits.

The issues we are seeing in Mexico is because of the demand for the drugs here in the States as well as other parts of the world. Legazlizing drugs will have as much of an effect as the war on drugs does.

We need to develop a hybrid of the 2 (version of what Portugal does) which is to decriminalize certain aspects and use treatment instead of jail / prison.

So long as its profitable, coupled with American Consumer demand for illegal drugs, the violence in Mexico will continue, and we will see more Officers killed.

edit on 2-12-2010 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

new topics

<< 1   >>

join