It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Subconscious, Déjà Vu/Precognition, and Classical Mechanics VS. Quantum Mechanics

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   
This was originally a reply post to another thread, but it got me thinking, so I decided to make my own thread on the thought. Sorry if this is in the wrong spot. I really don't know much about physics in all honestly, just what I read in books. I lack the mathematical skills to actually try to understand physics from that standpoint. So this was just a musing I had last night. I was wondering if anyone who studies physics might be able to tell me that this could possibly make sense, or tell me why it can't make sense, so I don't spend anymore time thinking about something that makes no sense.
But try to keep it in terms I can understand please, like for the physics-challenged here. Anyway, here it is.

Okay, this is just a thought that came to me at about midnight last night, while I was rereading some chapters of Stephen Hawking's book, The Grand Design, because I could not fall asleep. So I was rereading chapter 4, "Alternative Histories," and if anyone has read this book/chapter then you'll know what I'm getting at. I'm not schooled in physics in any way, shape, or form, I actually failed it in high school...but I love to read theoretical physics on my free time now. It was the only subject that kicked my butt in school, so now I try really hard to grasp it, which usually entails rereading a book about 5 times (okay, maybe 10 times).

So my crazy thought, what IF our subconscious and conscious function based on separate "laws of nature" or that our subconscious lies on a different plane from our consciousness? Like classical mechanics vs. quantum mechanics...

This came to me when reading about buckyballs (pictured below) in quantum physics.

Buckyballs to our relative perspective, seen with our eye, appear to simply travel from point A to point B in a straight line, but when doing expirements on this, the buckyballs did not end up in the "expected" spots for a particle that was traveling in a straight, defined line. In the buckyball's reality, the buckyball is taking every possible path to get from point A to point B simultaneously, though it appears to our eye to just go from A to B (Hawking has a great diagram explaining this in terms of soccer balls in his book, but I couldn't locate the illustrations online). This picture shows how, to us, the buckyball appears to move as in figure A, but really it is moving as in figure B in this picture.

Well, what if what composites our subconscious behaves like buckyballs, traveling every possible path before arriving at point B? What then, if precognition or déjà vu is just our conscious-being catching a glimpse of a possible traveled path by our subconscious? So maybe déjà vu is our conscious recalling of a path already traveled by our subconscious...

Or, maybe it is related to waves as discussed in chapter 3 of the same book, and the examples of puddle interference and Newton's rings. Maybe déjà vu is caused by an interference wave from our subconscious meeting with our conscious, and thus producing the feeling that we had already been there, because technically then, our subconscious would have actually "been" there before.

If true, this would mean that our subconscious knows every possible future and past, where as our consciousness only seems to follow a straight "line". So, maybe déjà vu is created when our subconscious reality interferes with our conscious reality by some means.

Just a thought, I get lots of weird ones when I'm trying to fall asleep.

"The universe is not only queerer than we suppose, but queerer than we can suppose."

edit on 12/1/2010 by SpaceJ because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Very interesting and makes some sense. Your theorem does give an interesting context to an age-old mystery. I look forward to following the discussion here.

Of course, we do have pretty good evidence that our subconscious is constantly predicting outcomes. And if it is connected to another plane of existence, it would explain ALOT of things.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by The GUT

Thank you, I don't know if anyone else will touch this thread, lol. But as far as I know déjà vu is still a subject of debate even with some traditionally accepted theories. If there are no facts, then I think we are all still free to speculate on the subject. But I love string theory, and I believe it's going to prevail. If it is true, then I see it as a definite candidate for helping explain things even outside the realm of physics, hopefully some of the mysteries of our subconscious. I found this while searching to see if anyone else had a similar idea to mine. All I got so far was this, and some random stuff on Schrödinger's cat.

Theory 5: Quirk of quantum mechanics - Some theories of quantum mechanics assume an infinite number of worlds, which reflect all of the possibilities of the universe. Déjà vu, when explained in this manner, is a momentary glimpse of another line of possibility very close to that of the observer, so close that they seem identical. The multiple worlds’ theory of quantum mechanics is still subject to vigorous debate in the scientific community.

And a link to a study done in the 90s on Quantum Aspects of Brain Activity and the Role of Consciousness
edit on 12/1/2010 by SpaceJ because: link

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpaceJ
[atsimg]

"The universe is not only queerer than we suppose, but queerer than we can suppose."

edit on 12/1/2010 by SpaceJ because: (no reason given)

So, if I come from this Universe, does that make me a Queer?

God, I hope so!!!

Very interesting OP, and that DOES make sense!
yeah, our subconscious is powerfule, and I believe one can shape our linear perspective with it, kinda like magic.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by SpaceJ

Yeah, you're right; you may not have many speculative "takers." Of course, it could be that I'm a threadkiller somehow, too, as that seemed to happen in XPloder's thread of his theory about the Hubble Constant. I thought it was a great theory, but then again science isn't my main forte fer sure.

Even if doesn't go over here, shop it around as it I'm sure it will strike some chords somewhere. Peace.

edit on 1-12-2010 by The GUT because: add linky

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 03:03 AM
link   
I did read your theory on the other thread, I wanted to comment but seeing as it is here I think I can add to it.

In 1987, I started researching lucid dreaming from an Omni Magazine article written by Stephen LaBerge called "The Omni Experience Power Trips: Controlling Your Dreams". To my wonder and amazement, I was able to achieve this state of dreaming.

What Stephen LaBerge failed to mention, was that some dreams (not all) possess a precognitive element where what is dreamed of "there" happens "here" in this "Physical Reality". This particular spectrum of dreaming is largely associated to those who link a Deja Vu experience to the memory of something they dreamed of days/months/weeks/years before the dream "actualized" into the persons waking reality.

For me, it came as an uninvited side-effect of lucid dreaming of which I had no prior knowledge of such potential or phenomena through dreaming. Regardless, the self-evident revelations that stemmed from acute "Literal Precognitive Dreams" asserted this new reality to my waking awareness.

From the age of 15-16 I would be hit by an avalanche of precognitive dreams; more so some lucid. It was the "Lucid Precognitive Dreams" that really shifted my paradigm into the knowledge that not only do we have dreams that can come true; but our "Lucid Dreams" can also come true.

This then begged the question? What comes first, a dream or waking reality? In this causality dilemma; the dream certainly comes first. Waking reality is the after-effect of this underlying process. It wouldn't be until I was 18 in 1990 that I would have the most profound "Lucid Precognitive Dream" where I would forever be changed by this paradigm shifting bridge between "Dream Reality" and "Waking Reality".

This event was an epoch in my life. A total first-hand observation of this underlying relationship between dreams and reality. A lucid dream so shockingly vivid, so well remembered and "created" in the same mechanics that all dreams are created. To only one day later come true in this waking reality. I highly doubt I can do justice to the impact of the event because of the "subjective paradox" and non-linear abstraction that occurs outside our usual time/space chronology.

This event was for me, the most significant event of my life because it was the first time I could clearly see and experience how a dream is created from this unconscious system, and then expressed into an experience which later through a process of actualization comes true as a waking life moment. It was my first "lucid dream" while awake in this reality, and one that clearly changes a persons view of things.

In this journey, I started to explore the possibility of changing dreams before they came true. In May of 1998, when I was 26, I started changing "Lucid Precognitive Dreams" before they came true. This exploration of this underlying mechanic of waking reality proved once and for all to me at least; that the "dream" and "waking reality" were the one and the same. Changes did start to actualize where phenomenological events occurred so much so that I could even photograph changes I made in a dream as they affected the external waking world with permanence.

This thread details some of these events; skepticism aside, I would treat it as it is... very real and very legit.
Evidence of Lucid Precognitive Dreaming

Having stood in first-person view while fully awake in a lucid dream that was precognitive in nature; and changing some of these dreams I can only speak from experience when I say that deja vu is a by-product of these underlying mechanics.

Please consider some of this research in your dissertation towards the deja phenomena.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   
I really like your take on this theory as it may help some other people break pas the misinformation existing other less tasteful ideas in regards to deja.

new topics

top topics

join