It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pot seeds, can they

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Last year I pulled up a perfectly good plant that the seeds had apparently either been dropped by a bird or the wind had blown it there out of my flower garden, it looked an awful lot like the illegal pot plant, after pulling it up I had an expert look at it and he said it was not a pot plant. So it got me to wondering, whats the odds of this actually happening? I grow flowers but I'm not an expert on what most plants look like, what about the area around my property that we don't regularly mow. I'm not looking to grow anything illegal just the opposite, worried one could possibly end up doing so, like for instance a bird eats something with the seed on it, and flys through the air of course a short distance but in reality is say 25 miles away drive and drops the seed there. Is it possible? Planes fly over the fields often here looking for pot, one time a cop pretending he was looking for another house number, mines posted clearly, stopped he was staring at my tigerlilies and pretended he had the wrong address, yeah right. Finally since he was so interested I told him what they were. He left. We have a 911 system here so he should have had no problem finding the person he was looking for and since the number he was looking for was entirely different than mine he had no reason to be here. Or maybe I'm just paranoid. Also he had on an entirely different uniform than our local police, he had them (the local police) driving up and down the road between my house and my neighbor, I guess looking to make the big bust.

[edit on 2-7-2004 by goose]

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by goose
Last year I pulled up a perfectly good plant that the seeds had apparently either been dropped by a bird or the wind had blown it there out of my flower garden, it looked an awful lot like the illegal pot plant, after pulling it up I had an expert look at it and he said it was not a pot plant. So it got me to wondering, whats the odds of this actually happening? I grow flowers but I'm not an expert on what most plants look like, what about the area around my property that we don't regularly mow. I'm not looking to grow anything illegal just the opposite, worried one could possibly end up doing so, like for instance a bird eats something with the seed on it, and flys through the air of course a short distance but in reality is say 25 miles away drive and drops the seed there. Is it possible? Planes fly over the fields often here looking for pot, one time a cop pretending he was looking for another house number, mines posted clearly, stopped he was staring at my tigerlilies and pretended he had the wrong address, yeah right. Finally since he was so interested I told him what they were. He left. We have a 911 system here so he should have had no problem finding the person he was looking for and since the number he was looking for was entirely different than mine he had no reason to be here. Or maybe I'm just paranoid.

1. You grow Stuff
2. You are worried specificaly about POT
3. Strangers stopping by to check out the Tigerlilly?
4. On set of Paranoia

Hmmm

It looks as if you are quite the farmer! Tigerlillys and Pot what a killer combo.
Goose i say stop hitting the Hooka and stop worring about stuff unless you have a reason too worry.

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Was the plant a false aurelia?

Not really sure about the bird dropping a seed thing. The circumstances would have to be just right for the plant to grow. Then again it could have been someone tossing some seeds, but then they would still have to get under the ground. Had you recently planted new seeds? Could have been one mixed in and it came from there.

Just a thought

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by NetStorm
The circumstances would have to be just right for the plant to grow.

It would grow, as long as its spring or later. It may not flower, but as long as it has 12 hours of sunlight it will grow.

[edit on 2-7-2004 by SpittinCobra]

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Ever notice a line of trees that is almost perfectly straight over a longish distance? Birds sitting on a fence dropping seeds created those trees...

You bet a bird dropping a seed can cause a plant to grow. Like Spittin'Cobra said, if it's spring, sunny and it rains a little you'll have a plant.

I don't know anything about growing pot but since it's a weed I would suspect it'll grow even easier?

m...

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 09:14 AM
link   
It is a weed, after all. And, despite the misguided "War on Drugs", the DEA is far, far, from eradicating Cannibis. So, I'd say, yes, it is possible that a bird could carry a seed to a remote location, where the seed could germinate and grow.

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 09:22 AM
link   
There is some plant that looks almost identical to a cannabis plant, except that the leaves have more uniform jagged edges, and it doesnt go through the budding process that female pot plants do. That would be my guess as to what it was, and its a fairly common natural plant; I've found many on my property just walking around during the summer. During the early stages of growth the plant is very similar to cannabis, but once they start to mature the differences tend to become alot more obvious. Hope this was of some help.

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Hemp seeds are used in most bird seed. It is legal as long as they have been sterilized. Its nutrition diminishes throughout the process.

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 09:36 AM
link   
I have friends in law enforcement that will agree that along with Wild Hemp, Cannabis sativa has, through unknown mechanisms, become established in the wild. This isn't exactly scientific observation. It is based on the discovery of plans in places that intentional growers would be very unlikely to use, either because they are inaccessible or TOO accessible (i.e the right-of-way on a public road) Their idle speculation is that the plant materials had been dropped by birds or discarded by people.

I thought the US Forest Service was doing a population study on the subject but a web search came back with nothing.

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 09:37 AM
link   
I've heard it's illegal to plant bird seed in the UK because it could contain seeds from illegal plants.

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 09:42 AM
link   
There are two mid-west states where Cannabis grows naturally along the road side. The cops have a field day parking under cover and observing people attempting to harvest the road side plants.

They typically grow in the ditches next to the road and the States start with a K and a T.

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Well I can tell you I know what a pot plant looks like and last year 3 came up at my bosses farm lol. had grown to about 4 feet tall befor i noticed them . whats even funner the sherrif was aloways coming over .
Have aloways wanted to plant one near a police station mixed in with the bushes just to see how long it would take them to notice it.

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinCobra
It would grow, as long as its spring or later. It may not flower, but as long as it has 12 hours of sunlight it will grow.

[edit on 2-7-2004 by SpittinCobra]

True, and it doesn't really need 12 hours of sunlight to grow. I was just making the comment that the circumstances would have to be right for the seed to germinate, take root and grow.

posted on Jul, 12 2004 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I meant to answer this post last week but i never got time so better late then never.

Now first and foremost i personally dont grow or use pot but i do live in an area notorious for having large pot farms so i know a little about the weed. Marajauna itself is a weed like no other it can grow just about anywhere. Ive seen several wild patches of it just spring up in the wild and i cut it down as soon as i see it. The weed you find in the wild is pot but at the same time if its growing wild it has very little potency , so mainly it will just get you in trouble.

AS far as the plant that looks similiar to pot ive seen it before and i cant think of the name of it off the top of my head. I have however seen it used to disguise the real stuff on accasions. A guy that used to rent a house across the street from me had some of it planted in front of his house and i thought nothing of it at the time. Then a couple of weeks later i noticed something odd about the row of plants behind the first row and i went over to look. Sure enough he had planted weed in behing the other plant , i noticed someone peaking out the window at me so i walked back over to my yard, the next morning the back row of the neighbors little flower garden mysteriously dissapeared in the middle of the night........

posted on Jul, 12 2004 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Walmart got in big trouble last year for selling bird seed that contained opium poppy, I guess its kind of the same thing with hemp, there are different varieties with different potencies and sometimes they get mislabeled and mixed. If you eat poppy seed bagels or cake you WILL test positive for opients even though it doesnt have an effect on you.

posted on Jul, 12 2004 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Is a native weed to North America and will grow quite easily anywhere in the continental United States providing an adequate amount of water and sunlight. Care for the seed to the point of germination is minimal... constant moisture and soil contact, it does not have to be buried. Given the larger size of the seed, it would have to be a very large bird that would eat the seed in order for the seed to pass from the bird undisturbed, as smaller birds have a tendancey to break the seed open to get at the nutrients. However, this does happen in nature as evidenced by tomato seeds (Which are smaller).

I do not grow pot, but have smoked some of it waaaaaay back in college and wrote a paper on it for my Psychopharmaceuticals class. I am presently employed in the horticulture industry and know a great deal about plants. The type of marijuana to grow naturally will more than likely only yield hemp (the fibrous stalk) and yield very little delta 9 tetrahydra cannabinol (the psychoactive ingredient) without advanced care. It still will get you arrested however... unless you are a registered hemp cultivar licensed to grow hemp from governmnet controlled seed stock that is sterile... it will not develop the female stolons (the bud) which carries the highest concetration of psycho-toxins.

More than likely you stumbled across a naturally occuring plant that resembled cannabis as there has been an active cannabis eradication program in place for several decades that has done well to remove over 90% of all naturally occurring cannabis. Either that or some joker spread seeds on your property to "See" if it would grow (and it most certainly will). The bird theory is still plausible, but least likely in my opinion. None the less, growing cannabis is illegal and it is much better to be safe than sorry. Radicate any plant that appears to be cannabis unless you can directly identify that it is not.

posted on Jul, 12 2004 @ 02:27 PM
link   

More than likely you stumbled across a naturally occuring plant that resembled cannabis

Trust me given my area and the 10 t0 20 acres crops that are routinely busted im familiar with what it looks like as well as the plants that resemble it. As for the wild plants not containing much thc i will agree most of the wild plants you find can be used only as hemp, ( but then again look at the hundreds of uses for that )

posted on Jul, 12 2004 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Hmm, they can be prolific, in a decent climate.
I remember looking down, off my back porch, when in college, a number
of years back..
"Hey, whats that?" I thought..

I RAN down the stairs, I kinda knew what it was..As I got closer there were at least 4 or 5 more..Big, and green, and bushy. All around the patio, of the apartment downstairs.

But , how did they get there?

It took me a few weeks to figure it out..

One day, I saw my neighbor, park his car, he pulled a bunch of cleaning items, and a SHOP-VAC from his trunk. At his porch, he emptied the Shop-Vac, in the grass surrounding his patio..
Turns out he was Doing Auto-detailing as a side job..
All those goodies, from under the seats, and floor mats.
Dumped in the "grass"
I guess he didn't know he was a part-time farmer as well!

top topics

join