It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unemployment Benefits Expire

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by SilentStigma

I only got five min into the video then had to step away for a meeting I will watch the rest of it tonight, However it seemed the video was geared toward the upper class V.S. everyone else I am not trying to argue that the elite class are screwing everyone else. This thread is about the Unemployment Benefits expiring. and we were discussing the people who milk the system when they in fact are able bodied and could work but wont since they see it as free money and they feel entitled to it.

Actually, the original OP says thus:

Millions of jobless Americans will lose their benefits on Thursday after Congress failed to extend help for the long-term unemployed on Tuesday, reports ABC. Democrats pushing for the bill argued that unemployment benefits are a better way to spur the economy than tax cuts for the rich.

It is directly related to the tax cuts for the rich, and the video is completely relevant.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Darkrunner

Well, because you know a couple of them, then NO ONE should get the benefits. They ALL must be freeloaders...

Great investigative work there. Quite the knee jerking...

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties

Originally posted by SilentStigma

If I had posted That I had one illness then on another post say I had different illness wouldnt you question the truthfulness of my posts?

Huh? They are 2 separate issues, both of which I suffer from (actually, as a matter of fact they are somewhat related but that could take hours to explain). How is that so hard to understand? I chose to reveal the CFS after the anxiety because it was obvious some posters were taking the dinosaur route of denying that anxiety is an actual medical condition.

edit on 2/12/2010 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

I understand that they are two separate issues however If I claimed this then that, would you not slightly question the truthfulness here? Not trying to be insulting.or anything just saying it raised a little lie flag.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 05:35 PM
link   
I'm amazed by all the people in this thread who feel they have all the answers. Because they are in a good situation in their lives, they haven't lost their jobs, so it's easy to sit back and be judgmental.

The system is set up to make one a slave. Work, work , work, until you die.

My mother went into the factory to work at 18. She was raised up to never "take a hand out". She worked her # off all of her life, 2nd and 3rd shifts. When she was sick she worked. When she was tired... didn't matter, she worked. Never took a day off. I watched her become an old woman at the age of 30. She never enjoyed her life much. Too tired to enjoy it or think of what else could be out there for her, because in her mind working her # off was supposed to be something that gives you pride and character. By the time she reached 40, she started developing all kinds of health problems. Literally, a laundry list of problems she was constantly going to the dr for. Dr tells her, stop working in the factory, it's going to kill you. At 46, she had a massive heart attack and died at work. Her supervisor had put her on a job she couldn't handle.

I'm not so much on this band wagon of work work work till you die. I've seen firsthand what it does. Everyone else here can just talk. You don't know what can happen to you if you lost your job.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by SilentStigma

Fair enough, I hope I have cleared that little issue up for you somewhat then.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   
I know people who truly depend on unemployment benefits because they got laid off and can't find jobs. What I hate though is those people who have 4-5 children and both parents sit at home and milk the system. They receive their baby bonuses, unemployment, and whatever checks they bamboozle out of us. If they tried looking for a job than fine but I am talking about those people who just leech off society.

I know plenty of refugees who come to this country who receive welfare and work cash money. They make more money than those with legit jobs!

You shouldn't have more than one child if you can't afford it. What are you thinking having 4-5 babies which you can't take care of anyway?

I pisses me off seeing people who work hard, 2 jobs, and pay taxes just to give to the ones who sit at home doing nothing.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Equinox99

I pisses me off seeing people who work hard, 2 jobs, and pay taxes just to give to the ones who sit at home doing nothing.

Should it not piss you off even more that the unemployment benefits are cut to be able to extend tax breaks to the rich? Considering, of course, the argument is that the rich spend the tax cuts in America - yet they don't, as is evidenced by your disappearing middle class and your declining infrastructure and industry. Why is cutting benefits to poor people more important than not allowing the rich to buy another yacht, or a million dollar bottle of champaign or something ridiculous like that?

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

I agree. A better way to go about this is incentive for tax cuts if the rich hire more people. Don't forget you can't put a lot of pressure on the rich because they will pack their things and move out of the country. Peter Schiff made an excellent point about how he opened up a new business in Europe because he was taxed less. Where as he could have opened that business here and hired locally, but he stated it was too much headaches and taxes for him to pay.

I think if you taxed the rich and not so rich people less it would stimulate the economy. People would go out and buy more because they have more money in their pockets. Instead we have a lot of burden on the rich as well as the poor. It doesn't make any sense!

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Equinox99
reply to post by Kryties

I think if you taxed the rich and not so rich people less it would stimulate the economy. People would go out and buy more because they have more money in their pockets. Instead we have a lot of burden on the rich as well as the poor. It doesn't make any sense!

I remember hearing somewhere (I will check this later) that during and before the 1960's I think, the rich were taxed at a much higher rate and yet still managed to have high-flying lifestyles - and the proceeds from those taxes built most of the infrastructure that is now crumbling away in America.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Sorry but we all know many many people that don't even look for work or accept work because of these benefits. They say "Why work for the same amount or a little more than unemployment benefits when I can not work?" Sadly this is what a huge segment of society believes now. I have even heard many say that they deserve unlimited unemployment benefits. Don't blame Republicans for doing the right thing. It has never been an American principle that govt is responsible for supporting the unemployed indefinitely. In fact its quite the opposite.

A wise and frugal government which shall restrain men from injuring one another, which shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government. – Thomas Jefferson

To take from one because it is thought that his own industry and that of his father’s has acquired too much, in order to spare to others, who, or whose fathers, have not exercised equal industry and skill, is to violate arbitrarily the first principle of association—the guarantee to every one of a free exercise of his industry and the fruits acquired by it. --Thomas Jefferson

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.. --Thomas Jefferson

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. --Thomas Jefferson

Government is not reason; it is not eloquence; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. – George Washington

edit on 2-12-2010 by johnny2127 because: Adding quotes

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by johnny2127
Sorry but we all know many many people that don't even look for work or accept work because of these benefits. They say "Why work for the same amount or a little more than unemployment benefits when I can not work?" Sadly this is what a huge segment of society believes now. I have even heard many say that they deserve unlimited unemployment benefits. Don't blame Republicans for doing the right thing. It has never been an American principle that govt is responsible for supporting the unemployed indefinitely. In fact its quite the opposite.

So because a few bad apples exist in the system, the whole bloody lot have to be punished for it? Geez, thats rather harsh don't you think?

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   
So basically...

Legitimate unemployement dollars are being turned into tax cuts for the rich?

The argument I hear all the time is that unemployment is for the lazy, or for people who abuse the system. Well I'm sure some fall in that catagory, but you can make that argument about anything. If a system can be abused, shouldn't it be regulated to some degree? And if it's not, then that's the problem....

RICH >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> POOR FTL

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by chiponbothshoulders
reply to post by wutone

That's the point.

To keep all of us arguing about nothing.

So,what is the real problem?.

That's the thing, we are all arguing about the wrong things. Whether it is "tax cuts for the rich" or "lazy" people using the system, it is all masking something more serious.

The Fed bailed out the MEGA rich (not small business owners, not doctors, not successful professionals, not people making $250,000) with free money so they can survive and make a good profit while doing so.

Goldman Sachs, BoA, Barclays (not even American) and such got trillions but what do they contribute? I don't see them building things, curing people, or developing new technologies. These guys gamed the system, privatized their profits, and socialized the losses.

The Fed can give sweetheart loans at .0078% interest to the mega bankers (loan me a billion with that interest rate and I can stick it in some crappy annuity and be set for life while still paying off the original loan amount) but somehow we are debating whether or not to give unemployment benefits? The old saying that it takes money to make money really applied to this one and the bailout beneficiaries made out like bandits.

It really doesn't matter if people who are getting unemployment benefits are lazy. The system already favors the lazy as long as they are super rich. How come the Fed and the government can help the super rich gain more but not help the unemployed?

The Fed could have loaned the bailout money at say the same interest we pay (like that 30% interest credit card) and the bankers would had to work their asses off to survive (just like us) while giving the government enough of a profit to pay for unemployment benefits.

The double standard is so glaring but we are all blind to it. We are all pointing fingers calling each other names but that very small class of bailout beneficiaries get away little attention. The government can print money for bailouts or whatever (which spike the price of goods that hurt the poor the most) but here we are calling each other names.

Our real problem is that we spending too much energy and anger at arguing with each other. The people to blame are easy to see but for some reason we don't focus on them.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by johnny2127

So because a few bad apples exist in the system, the whole bloody lot have to be punished for it? Geez, thats rather harsh don't you think?

By the time it gets to someone being unemployed 2 years, it is far more than 'a few bad apples'. You know it and I do too. So yes it is sad that those that need help and have not been lazy get punished. But blame those that are parasites on govt and the productive, not those that say was true and stop the BS

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by johnny2127

You know the other alternative is to tax the rich - that way those poor unfortunate souls who ARENT milking the system, and there are many of them, don't get completely screwed.

But god no, we can't have the rich not being able to afford their purified donkey sperm cocktails and plush new private jets so they can fly their tax cuts out of the country can we?

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 06:18 PM
link   

You know the other alternative is to tax the rich - that way those poor unfortunate souls who ARENT milking the system, and there are many of them, don't get completely screwed.

But god no, we can't have the rich not being able to afford their purified donkey sperm cocktails and plush new private jets so they can fly their tax cuts out of the country can we?

Well if you do that the rich will pack up and go. Than, who will pay the taxes and provide jobs? The poor will be in a worse position than they are now.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   

I remember hearing somewhere (I will check this later) that during and before the 1960's I think, the rich were taxed at a much higher rate and yet still managed to have high-flying lifestyles - and the proceeds from those taxes built most of the infrastructure that is now crumbling away in America.

It was around 90% tax rate on earnings above $400,000 in the 50's and early 60's.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 06:20 PM
link   

exactly. It begs the question, whats the incentive for being employed if your given just as many benifits to be unemployed? If unemployment just stopped you'd be surprised how many people would be out looking for jobs the next day. People would be stepping on eachother to get a job doing somthing like flipping a burger
edit on 2-12-2010 by solids0be because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by wutone

Ahh yes, I remember that figure now. And no evidence of them leaving the country in droves as claimed?

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join