It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wikileaks Cable Disclosure: What The Media Is Not Telling You

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 06:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by DJW001

Note that the instability that is there to be exploited

So, that is the kind of foreign policy you endorse - exploiting the instability in a foreign country to suit our own agenda. One day someone will have the same attitude towards the US. I am guessing your opinion will be different then,

is the result of Iran's own mismanagement. You cannot foment protests among contented people. Is it "fair" for the Mossad to interfere with Iran's internal affairs? Perhaps not, but until Iran shows respect for Westphalian notions of international relations, they are not going to get much sympathy from the rest of the world.

When Israel starts to show some respect for international treaties and agreements they have signed, it may start to get some sympathy from those often labelled as 'anti-semites' because they disagree with their current crimes.

Let's start with Israel declaring THEIR nuclear weapons and subjecting themselves to the nuclear oversight of the UN like most other countries do, and stopping the illegal settlements and returning to the Palestinians the land they have stolen.

Your comments also show a total ignorance of the situation in Iran. Were you aware that the Green Party (Iran's opposition party) had EXPRESSLY asked US NOT TO INTERFERE because that would completely undermine their efforts and put them in grave danger? Are you aware that US interference has cost people their lives? The Iranian authorities claimed again and again that US was interfering and supporting the opposition - the overwhelming majority of those innocent people believed the blatant lies US told in statements saying they were NOT interfering. Therefore, they protested believing US was respecting their wishes, and were later accused of sedition for colluding with a foreign enemy? This policy is NOT benign. So when HC and cronies scream that WL is a risk to national selcurity, it is complete bunkum. THEY have COST the lives of innocent Iranian opposition protesters and probably totally undermined their efforts in Iran. THEY are a danger to the whole world. THEY are the danger to national security.

edit on 3-12-2010 by wcitizen because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-12-2010 by wcitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by wcitizen

So, that is the kind of foreign policy you endorse - exploiting the instability in a foreign country to suit our own agenda. One day someone will have the same attitude towards the US. I am guessing your opinion will be different then,

Where do I endorse this sort of policy? I am merely pointing out that this cable isn't telling us anything new. It is well known that the US funds Iranian dissident groups, just as Iran funds Hamas and Shi'ite militias in Iraq.

When Israel starts to show some respect for international treaties and agreements they have signed, it may start to get some sympathy from those often labelled as 'anti-semites' because they disagree with their current crimes.

Perhaps, but they will never get the respect of genuine anti-semites. In any event, Iran's anti-Israeli policy has nothing to do with Israel or its actions. The Iranian leadership is using the issue to generate sympathy in the Arab world, which it otherwise holds in complete contempt.

Your comments also show a total ignorance of the situation in Iran. Were you aware that the Green Party (Iran's opposition party) had EXPRESSLY asked US NOT TO INTERFERE because that would completely undermine their efforts and put them in grave danger?

Of course, which is why, contrary to your knee-jerk reaction, I do not support interfering with Iran's internal affairs in that fashion. It is counter-productive.

Are you aware that US interference has cost people their lives?

Do you mean am I aware that the Iranian leadership murders its own citizens when they express contrary opinions? Yes.

The Iranian authorities claimed again and again that US was interfering and supporting the opposition - the overwhelming majority of those innocent people believed the blatant lies US told in statements saying they were NOT interfering

The Iranian authorities always claim the US is interfering, Sometimes they are, sometimes they're not. Anything to avoid taking responsibility for their own actions.

Therefore, they protested believing US was respecting their wishes, and were later accused of sedition for colluding with a foreign enemy? This policy is NOT benign.

I agree: the policy of murdering your own citizens en mass for expressing their views is not a benign policy. It is one reason I boycott Chinese goods, The fact that the Iranian leadership chooses to blame an external power for their actions shows profound cowardice. Even if the protesters were the dupes of American foreign policy, why murder them? Is exile not an option? No, the blood is entirely on the hands of the Iranian government.

So when HC and cronies scream that WL is a risk to national selcurity, it is complete bunkum. THEY have COST the lives of innocent Iranian opposition protesters and probably totally undermined their efforts in Iran. THEY are a danger to the whole world. THEY are the danger to national security.

I agree, covert activity in Iran is worse than a crime, it is an error. Iran is falling apart on its own, there is no need to waste resources on it and risk loss of face in the bargain. WikiLeaks has done nothing to throw any light on the situation and thus far has proven to be little more than a speck of grit in the machinery of international relations. Who is the "THEY" you are referring to?

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Why do people keep using the 'I/We knew it so it's nothing new' argument? Your range of knowledge doesn't include everyone by default. I really hate it when people use that argument as a means to devalue the information.
edit on 3-12-2010 by Cablespider because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Cablespider

Most of the information is already out there. I cannot believe any of the details come as a surprise to anyone who has an interest in international relations. The publicity surrounding WikiLeaks seems to be spurring interest among people who do not follow the news, so I suppose that is a good thing.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 09:17 AM
link   
you know...diplomats do lie...diplomats do stretch the truth...diplomats do not tell the whole story and diplomats say things for their own self-benefit, that would make them SEEM to be in the know, when really they are not. this is why these documents can be construde as being dangerous. crictical-thinking pertaining to the veracity of these documents needs to weighed.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

I agree with you wholeheartedly. But we shouldn't assume that because we know, everyone knows or should know. I'm not at all surprised many are not as informed as they should be.

The potential impact of this may very well spark interest in those that normally wouldn't look at news or politics outside of the box. At a minimum, that is a good thing. This event has a very large area of effect and may just ignite something more than a casual interest. It may not.

In order not to risk effectiveness and ensure maximum potential, it should be assumed everyone is equally uninformed. The audience is massive. You can't possibly know who is informed and who is not. For those that are informed, this may seem trivial. Now imagine how many are not. That trivial information is still valuable and can be very effective.

If we were all on the same page, one massive dump would be in order. We are not all on the same page and lots of people need to be introduced first.
edit on 3-12-2010 by Cablespider because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   
IMPORTANT : J.Assange have just confirmed on the live guardian chat that the encrypted insurance file contained the diplomatic cables !

Julian Assange:
The Cable Gate archive has been spread, along with significant material from the US and other countries to over 100,000 people in encrypted form. If something happens to us, the key parts will be released automatically. Further, the Cable Gate archives is in the hands of multiple news organisations. History will win. The world will be elevated to a better place. Will we survive? That depends on you.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

`re Attack on Liberty. I saw a video on this and two items emerged, don't know if they are true or not.
1. It looked as if the Liberty and all her sailors were doomed to death...even those in lifeboats...and the attack would have been blamed on Egypt (hense communications black outs from the ship) so as to justify American
entrance into the war against the Arabs at that time...but the order to attack it is alleged came from LBJ to Israel,
and that there was resistance against it but they did as told.

2. The attack was witnessed by a Russian ship who put a halt to it by communicating out and coming to the
rescue.

This casts a chilling shadow across 9/11. Can someone verify this information?

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   

So far I have seen nothing that is shocking or that I did not already know in regards to Nations' stances on one another and world affairs. To me this release of info is totally dull.

reply to post by sara123123

These are NOT top secret so that explains why we are not getting super sensitive information.

Also, the language is often 'diplomatise', so it is full of inference and hints - although quite a few of
the cables are straight talking. The idea is that you have to read carefully, and try to understand
the inferences.

This is history in action! We get to peek behind the veil and get a look at world leaders. So far
NOTHING on Bush, or Blair... the cables seem to wander far afield from those two.., keep on
reading. Remember, it's all in implication, hints and inferences.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Maybe, the really good stuff isn't out yet...

UFO FILES! YIPEEEEEE

www.msnbc.msn.com...

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   
I'd like to be the first to say..

holy crap.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 06:28 PM
link   
EXPOSE THE TRUTH

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArcheoAstronomer
reply to post by backinblack

`re Attack on Liberty. I saw a video on this and two items emerged, don't know if they are true or not.
1. It looked as if the Liberty and all her sailors were doomed to death...even those in lifeboats...and the attack would have been blamed on Egypt (hense communications black outs from the ship) so as to justify American
entrance into the war against the Arabs at that time...but the order to attack it is alleged came from LBJ to Israel,
and that there was resistance against it but they did as told.

2. The attack was witnessed by a Russian ship who put a halt to it by communicating out and coming to the
rescue.

This casts a chilling shadow across 9/11. Can someone verify this information?

Links here:

Best link is here:

www.gtr5.com...

On June 8, 1967, US Navy intelligence ship USS Liberty was suddenly and brutally attacked on the high seas in international waters by the air and naval forces of Israel. The Israeli forces attacked with full knowledge that this was an American ship and lied about it. Survivors have been forbidden for 40 years to tell their story under oath to the American public. The USS Liberty Memorial web site tells their story and is dedicated to the memory of the 34 brave men who died.

Also:

whatreallyhappened.com...

If this works, more from a pilot involved here:

www.rense.com...

It's a very disturbing case..

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Sheol

The Media is telling us exactly what we are supposed to know, nothing more, Nothing less.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Julian Assange is the John Lennon of the 2010s. John had a guitar and Julian has the keys. Kudos to freedom of press

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Harper advisor calls for assassination of Wikileaks director:

www.youtube.com...

Eh.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 01:49 PM
link   
I can see little revealed in these so called leaks that is not a matter of public record - for those who know and understand the issues these so called leaks are fairly worthless.

The embarrassment to Clinton might simply represent a faction that wants her out - a bullet would be better for her.

Not really convinced on the veracity of the leaks yet - the friction created between Iran and Saudi is worthless - Saudi was already to hand over use of airspace for attacks on Iran. The friction generated between Pakistan and Saudi is useful to the US - looks like disinfo to me.

I'll wait and see what else appears - not really impressed with any of it.

edit on 5-12-2010 by Amagnon because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   
This cables sheds an interesting light on a blatant lie. A US Navy aircraft which drowned and washed ashore the Yemeni territories was blamed by Yemen media and officials as a "downed (as in shot down) Iranian Spy Plane". They reached this conclusion after consultation with "multinational forces" and inspite of knowing the truth President Saljeh of Yemen blamed Iran. Read the cable as it sheds some distinct light as how the media and govts. work:

President Saleh clearly believes the unmanned aircraft had been performing reconnaissance in
Yemeni territory when it crashed. He could have taken the opportunity to score political points by appearing tough in public against the United States, but chose instead to blame Iran.

UNMANNED USG AIRCRAFT WASHES ASHORE, OFFICIAL MEDIA REPORTS DOWNED IRANIAN "SPY PLANE"
edit on 5-12-2010 by Sheol because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   
The NWO agenda cannot be accomplished while patriotic elements still exist within national governments. For them to succeed they must first destroy/makeover governments.
Even if heads do roll due to some of the info being released it doesn't necessarily follow that it will be good for the people.
IMO the entire WL release is designed to destabilize world governments as well as the world monetary system.
This is a controlled burn to destroy the old world order while something far worse waits in the wings to come in as our "saviours".

I can see the cult of Assange being created by the minute.
Our counter-revolution hero who bravely champions government transparency at risk of his life.

This is a good Hollywood script, will Orlando Bloom have to wear a wig to play Assange?

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sheol
We have all read through various media reports on Wikileaks Cablegate. Curious thing to note is all the major media outlets highlighted similar information such as:
a) US spying on UN diplomats
b) Sunni Arab nations such as Saudi Arabia, UAE, Egypt asking US to attack Shiite Iran
c) Anecdotes about various political leaders such as Putin, Sarkozy, Gaddafi, Ahmadinejad, Prince Andrew, Berlusconi etc.
d) China's role in hacking of Google computer systems
e) China's growing distance from North Korea
And few more of such releases.

It is curious to note that almost all major media outlets are highlighting similar such "selected" content. Most of the public due to their dependency on MSM go through these media reports only, without bothering to actually read the cables in their entirety. Given below is some "selected" content what the media is not telling you and probably doesn't want the media dependent public to know:

Israel on Iran:
Mossad Chief's proposal to destabilize Iran by using propaganda media outlets such as Voice Of America (VOA) .

Dagan reiterated the need to strike at Iran's heart by engaging with its people directly. Voice of America (VOA) broadcasts are important, but more radio transmissions in Farsi are needed.

U/S BURNS' AUGUST 17 MEETING WITH ISRAELI MOSSAD CHIEF MEIR DAGAN

Forcing regime change by formeting unrest among Student groups and ethnic groups. Remember the election protests were held by Student groups in 2009 Presidential campaign against Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

u]Force Regime Change: Dagan said that more should be done to foment regime change in Iran, possibly with the support of student democracy movements, and ethnic groups (e.g., Azeris, Kurds, Baluchs) opposed to the ruling regime.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Israel on Palestine
The below given comments reiterates Netanyahu intentions against Palestinians people who were uprooted during creation of Israel.

Netanyahu noted that he thought dropping the "right of return" was the acid test of Arab intentions and insisted that he would never allow a single Palestinian refugee to return to Israel.

CODEL ACKERMAN'S MEETING WITH OPPOSITION LEADER BINYAMIN NETANYAHU

The below given comments tells of Israeli intentions to never allow a independent Palestinian state with no control over it's territory, border, people, media or even to have power to form treaties wtith other countries.

Netanyahu: A Palestinian state must be demilitarized, without control over its air space and electro-magnetic field, and without the power to enter into treaties or control its borders.

CODEL KYL'S MEETING WITH PRIME MINISTER NETANYAHU:

Netanyahu said he was prepared for "arrangements" with the Palestinians that would entail some limits on their sovereignty such as no Palestinian army, and Israeli control over borders, airspace, and the electromagnetic spectrum.

CODELS ACKERMAN AND CASEY MEETINGS WITH PRIME MINISTER NETANYAHU
-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

US on Israel
US diplomat comment on Israel that it hopes others (US) will solve Iran problem for them either through force or diplomatic means.

Israelis hope that the others will solve the Iranian problem for them, or as Vice PM Shimon Peres has said, "I do not think that the matter of Iran needs to be turned into an Israeli problem -- it is a matter of concern for the whole world."

ISRAELI INTENTIONS REGARDING THE IRANIAN NUCLEAR PROGRAM

US 30 billion dollar aid to Israel (2008 - 2018)
At the time of economic crisis in United States the aid for Israel is free flowing as always.

In an August 17 meeting, Israeli Mossad Chief Meir Dagan thanked Under Secretary Burns for America's support of Israel as evidenced by the previous day's signing of an MOU that provides Israel with USD 30 billion in security assistance from 2008-2018.

United States delivery of bunker buster bomb to Israel for attacks on Iran.
United States secretly transferring bunker buster bombs to Israel in future preparation for attack on Iran.

The GOI described 2010 as a critical year -- if the Iranians continue to protect and harden their nuclear sites, it will be more difficult to target and damage them. Both sides then discussed the upcoming delivery of GBU-28 bunker busting bombs to Israel, noting that the transfer should be handled quietly to avoid any allegations that the USG is helping Israel prepare for a strike against Iran.

40TH JOINT POLITICAL-MILITARY GROUP: EXECUTIVE SESSION (PART 1 OF 4)

Russia On Iran
The below comment is in reference to Obama's statement that he will have direct unconditional talks with Iran which never happened.

Lavrov commended the new U.S. approach to Iran, welcoming President Obama's readiness for the U.S. to engage "fully" in talks with Iran. Willingness to discuss "all" the issues was a welcome step, and one which Russia had been advocating for several years, Lavrov said. Iran wielded a lot of influence in the region, including on Afghanistan, Iraq, Hizbollah, Hamas, Gaza, etc. Iran had long been concerned about Israel, and saw Pakistan as a nuclear-weapons competitor.

Below given statements tells us about Russia's stance that it does not see Iran as US wants them too.

Lavrov cautioned that Russia did not perceive Iran in the same way as the U.S. Iran for Russia was "much more than a country which might cause concern in the international community." Russia opposed Iran getting a nuclear weapon, because Russia did not want any more "members of the nuclear club," but Iran and Russia were historical and traditional partners and neighbors, with a "rich bilateral agenda."

While Iran wanted to dominate the region and the Islamic world, which was of concern to Arab governments, the U.S. should realize that the "Arab Street" considers Iranian leaders to be heroes.

FM LAVROV DISCUSSES MISSILE DEFENSE AND IRAN WITH

Asked about Russian views on the Qom revelation in New York September 25, FM Lavrov adopted a strikingly softer tone than in the just released Kremlin statement. He noted that Iran had acted positively by notifying the IAEA about its plans to construct a new nuclear facility, and complained that some of Russia's "partner countries" in the P5-plus-1 had not shared information about the Qom facility earlier. Lavrov stressed that Iran's cooperation with the world community as a member of the NPT with non-nuclear status could prove the peaceful nature of its nuclear program.

Before the most recent P5-plus-1 meeting in Geneva, PM Putin said that Russia would not support "significant" changes to its approach on Iran. Ariel Cohen, a senior fellow at the Heritage Foundation, said Putin and Lavrov told him in early September that they are opposed to tougher sanctions and the use of force against Iran.

MEDVEDEV, PUTIN, AND RUSSIA'S IRAN POLICY

Russia On S-300 Sales to Iran
Russia's statements on selling of Missile Defense Shield to Iran.

Russia's S-300 contract with Iran did not violate any international or national laws or arms control regimes, and that the S-300's were a defensive system only. He added that nothing Russia had sold Iran had been used against anyone, whereas U.S. weapons provided to Georgia had been used against Russian soldiers.

Senator Levin asked whether Iran believed the S-300 sale was canceled or just suspended. Ryabkov replied that a contract existed, and it was impossible to break a contract without consequences. He repeated that Moscow had taken U.S. and Israeli concerns into account, and at present Russia was not providing any components of the system to Teheran. Thus, it was "obvious the degree to which Iran was dissatisfied with this," he said. But, the contract was not canceled, it was merely "frozen," Ryabkov stressed. He argued that "the less we hear from Washington about this, the better."

FM LAVROV DISCUSSES MISSILE DEFENSE AND IRAN WITH

China on Iran
China's stance on Iran issue that more diplomacy was needed and tongue in cheek coment with reference to Iraq.

Wang pressed U/S Burns for details on when the limits of U.S. patience might be exhausted and counseled further efforts to find a diplomatic solution. Burns replied that U.S. patience was nearly exhausted. Wang acknowledged that there was a potential for an Israeli military strike were the situation not handled properly, which was of grave concern to China, but insisted that harsh actions were not yet warranted. Recent U.S. experience with a military option, he said, should teach some lessons, and the outcome of tougher sanctions was also unpredictable. The United States needed to understand that Iran was not Iraq, and the best way forward was to continue to pursue peaceful dialogue and negotiations and to carefully examine previous diplomatic efforts to see what changes needed to be made.

UNDER SECRETARY BURNS MEETING WITH CCID DIRECTOR WANG JIARUI ON IRAN, NORTH KOREA
Chinas view of Iran as trading parteners will not be changed as seen from the comments.

Regarding China-Iran energy cooperation, Cheng believes that there is a “misunderstanding” on the part of the United States. China has made clear its need for energy resources and has previously stated that its cooperation with Iran on energy has nothing to do with the Iran nuclear issue. China hopes that the U.S. Congress understands this point, said Cheng. Specifically, the threat of sanctions against Sinopec is a very serious issue, Cheng emphasized. Sinopec is very important to China and Cheng “can’t imagine” the consequences if the company is sanctioned. Januzzi noted Cheng’s concerns and said that he would pass this message to Washington.

STAFFDEL JANUZZI DISCUSSES NONPROLIFERATION, IRAN, AND DPRK WITH MFA ARMS CONTROL DIRECTOR GENERAL

Turkey on Palestine
Turkey's condemnation of Israel on issue of Palestine - Gaza.

Hurriyet, Milliyet, Sabah, Aksam, Haberturk, Cumhuriyet, Yeni Safak and Zaman report the mayor of the Black Sea province of Rize, Halil Bakirci, had an "unpleasant" exchange of remarks during a meeting with visiting Israeli Ambassador, Gaby Levy. Mayor Bakirci told the Israeli Ambassador that the attitude of Turkish people toward Israel would not change as long as Israel continues its "expansionist policies." "The people of Rize will defend themselves in the face of such threats, but they will not kill babies," said Bakirci.

Erdogan emphasized Turkey was in close relationship both with the West and the Islamic world. "Defending the rights and humanity in the face of the Israeli atrocities in Gaza cannot be characterized as shifting politics," said Erdogan.

TURKISH MEDIA REACTION

US Pressure on Turkey for it's Iran's stance
Looks like Turkey is not toeing US line on Iran.

During an October 21 meeting with MFA Undersecretary Sinirlioglu, the Ambassador challenged Prime Minister Erdogan's recent dismissal of international community allegations that Iran intends to acquire nuclear weapons as "gossip."
[........]
Erdogan's recent comments on Iran's nuclear program amount to a defense of Tehran's defiance of the international community's will. His desire for a "good" Washington visit is the goad we will continue use to try to turn him back towards the international community consensus on Iran. We will also emphasize to Erdogan's senior bureuacrats and, when the opportunity arises, to President Gul their interest in reining in Erdogan on Iran.

WORKING ERDOGAN BACK INTO THE FOLD ON IRAN

Burns acknowledged Turkey's exposure to the economic effects of sanctions as a neighbor to Iran, but reminded Sinirlioglu Turkish interests would suffer if Israel were to act militarily to forestall Iran's acquisition of nuclear weapons or if Egypt and Saudi Arabia were to seek nuclear arsenals of their own.

U/S BURNS' FEBRUARY 18 MEETINGS WITH U/S SINIRLIOGLU

US pressure on Foreign Govts. to pressure Russia over S-300 Missile Defense System sale to Iran.
Hillary Clinton's cable to various embassies to pressure the respective host government to further pressure Russia not to sell missile defense system to Iran.

Posts are requested to approach appropriate host government officials regarding the possible transfer of the S-300 air-defense system from Russia to Iran. Post should draw from the following talking points. --In the spirit of our bilateral cooperation, we request your government,s support in urging Russia to not transfer a highly sophisticated air defense system to Iran.

ACTION REQUEST: RUSSIA S-300 MISSILE TO IRAN

France and US on 2007 Iran NIE (National Intelligence Estimate): If anyone remembers in 2007 all 16 US Intelligence agencies gave unanimous judgment that Iran had stopped working on a nuclear weapon four years earlier. Seems like France and US govt. did not like their assessment. One has to ask if the intelligence agencies know Iran is not building nuclear weapons why are US & alies hell bent on sanctioning Iran.

Both interlocutors called the NIE a "disaster" that has "substantially jeopardized" progress on Iran in the short term and will have lasting consequences, including eliminating France's ability to build consensus in Europe. French views are unchanged, but many others have been affected, and the NIE destroyed not just the momentum of the international community but also what little leverage France and the international community had on less radical Iranian elements. Errera noted that the timing of the release of the NIE was especially bad, with EU Political Directors having been poised for a new UNSC resolution just before the NIE release. He said at the IISS Manama Dialogue in December, speculation was rampant about why the current U.S. administration did not better manage the report's fallout by postponing its release or changing the characterization of Iran's enrichment activities as exclusively civil.
SARKOZY, KOUCHNER ADVISERS ON NATO, RUSSIA, IRAN, AND SARKOZY

France on Russia over Iran
France seems unhappy about Russia's stance on Iran.

President Sarkozy's private meeting in Moscow with President Putin, Putin was very hardline on Iran (notwithstanding Russia's exports of fuel for Bushehr), but that in the subsequent press conference, Putin distanced himself on this issue, to Sarkozy's surprise and chagrin. Errera said that in the past, Russia did not mind hurting Iran as long as Russia was not hurt as well; now Russia seems not to want to hurt the Iranians.

SARKOZY, KOUCHNER ADVISERS ON NATO, RUSSIA, IRAN, AND SARKOZY

France to Israel on Palestine
When France asked Israel to start an independent probe on Goldstone report, Netanyahu snubbed Sarkozy.

President Sarkozy called Prime Minister Netanyahu directly on October 26, Bereyziat reported, to urge him to establish an independent investigation into the actions of the Israeli Defense Forces in Gaza. Sarkozy informed Netanyahu that such a step would decrease pressure on Israel and its allies stemming from the Goldstone Report. Netanyahu responded briskly: "No way."

FRANCE-ISRAEL STRATEGIC DIALOGUE COVERS TURKEY, PEACE PROCESS, SYRIA

Egypt on Iraq
Another of US closest allies Egypt showing it's true color of installing a dictator in Iraq and not pushing democracy. Goes on to show Egyptians stance on democracy.

On Iraq, Mubarak said "you cannot leave" but advised strengthening the military and allowing a "fair" dictator to come to power via a coup. "Forget democracy," he opined, "the Iraqis are too tough by nature."

Mubarak explained his recipe for a way forward: "strengthen the armed forces, relax your hold, and then you will have a coup. Then we will have a dictator, but a fair one. Forget democracy, the Iraqis are by their nature too tough."

CODEL BAIRD MEETS WITH EGYPTIAN LEADERS ON MARGINS OF WEF

Oman on Iran
Oman raised the point of Arab Sunni nations stand against Shiite Iran. One has to remember Sunni and Shiite do not see each other eye to eye.

General Ali singled out Kuwait, Bahrain, and Qatar as three Gulf countries that probably would want the U.S. to strike Iran. However, he urged the U.S. to determine whether such voices were speaking on the basis of logic or emotion. He likened private entreaties of these countries to the U.S. for military action on Iran to the Iraqi opposition in exile providing the U.S. false information on Iraq that led to the invasion of Iraq.

OMAN REMAINS WARY OF IRANIAN EXPANSIONISM

To be continued when new cables are released....
edit on 1-12-2010 by Sheol because: (no reason given)

Caution: The Spanish Empire is rising again.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join