It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Environmental hypocrisy

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 06:51 AM
link   
All environmentalists that enjoy fireworks displays this weekend are hypocrites!

Its pretty funny when you see all the toxic chemicals that are released by igniting fireworks.
Toxic chemicals that we all have to breath. Yet the government tries to sue tobacco companies and ban cigarets in the name of public health? Not to mention computerized vehicle emissions test.
Barium chloride produces green; strontium chloride produces red; copper chloride produces blue- check out the rest of the article here:
pubs.acs.org...

I wonder how much of that stuff ends up in our precious waterways?

So make sure to hop in your SUV and drive on down to your local show this weekend, better yet try to see as many as you can they are ssooo pretty.

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 07:42 AM
link   
....and any vegetarians who are seen with people who eat meat are hypocrites.

What is the point of this statement and thread?

Do you know a lot of Envrionmentalists who make fireworks?

Maybe they should ensure they stay indoors with their eyes covered, that way, in your world, they won't be hypocrites..!!

Maybe you mean't to say, any Environmentalists that live in the states are hypocrites..??

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 08:03 AM
link   
No, but any vegetarians that eat meat are hypocrites

Fireworks are worldwide and so are environmentalists.

In the states environmental regulations are pretty tough and expensive to pay for.
So maybe I do mean in the states.

Fireworks are very popular here and so is environmentlism. This popularity is why cities and towns use their so called under funded budgets to pay for them.
So first they make me pay to make my car's emissions to be cleaner then they raise my taxes to pay for fireworks and the pollution they creatate.

Makes no sence to me.

The people who make fireworks are driven by profit. Profit is increased by demand. Demand is created by people wacthing fireworks. Environmentalists make up a large percentage of people. Environmentalist cause pollution.

The point of this thread is to try to bring attention to the issue and to Deny Ignorance !

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 08:38 AM
link   
It really all boils down to the age old question:

If vegetarians eat vegetables then what do humanitarians eat?

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 09:33 AM
link   
You would think that with the dry conditions and the forest fires we see weekly in the West, people would know better than to shoot burning stuff into the air, but I guess not.

I do blame the dry and fire prone conditions of our woodlands on the Enviormentalists though. Their short-sighted, forced mismanagement of our woodlands is directly responsible for this sorry condition. Though I'm sure their intentions were good, they didn't look far enough into the future to see the end result of their efforts.

Another example of failed emotion based policy. I realized this in the year 2000 as I sat and watched my 80 acres in the Colorado Mountains go up in flames.

You can imagine my frustration at the people who shoot fireworks and don't consider the consequinces.

posted on Jul, 5 2004 @ 03:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by smokapot
In the states environmental regulations are pretty tough and expensive to pay for.

So first they make me pay to make my car's emissions to be cleaner then they raise my taxes to pay for fireworks and the pollution they creatate.

The point of this thread is to try to bring attention to the issue and to Deny Ignorance !

Last I heard the stats were as follows:
America = 5% of the worlds population, 25% of the worlds pollution.

If you care that much for the environment why are you driving a car..?

You have indeed, provided a good example of the Denial of Ignorance phrase and hypocrisy, quite well.

[edit on 5-7-2004 by Koka]

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 05:06 AM
link   
Unlike driving a car, most people see fireworks for enjoyment. This is what makes environmentalists who enjoy fireworks hypocrites.

I care for the environment but I wouldn't say I,m an environmentalist.
I was born into a world with cars, airplanes, and all sorts of things that pollute. Driving a car is a necessity for us in the states, practically like fire to the ancients.

before I started driving (1982) I thought in just a couple of years I could buy a solar powered van. Im still waiting for one to be available

Damn big oil !

Koka-thanks for the compliment

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 06:30 AM
link   

Unlike driving a car, most people see fireworks for enjoyment. This is what makes environmentalists who enjoy fireworks hypocrites.

I care for the environment but I wouldn't say I,m an environmentalist.
I was born into a world with cars, airplanes, and all sorts of things that pollute. Driving a car is a necessity for us in the states, practically like fire to the ancients.

before I started driving (1982) I thought in just a couple of years I could buy a solar powered van. Im still waiting for one to be available

Damn big oil !

Koka-thanks for the compliment

No problem, no compliment intended.

I'm unsure exactly what your specific gripe is, I should concentrate my effort on banning the combustion engine, Jet Engine, Fossil fuelled power stations, if I were you.

I understand that fireworks cause pollution but, they pale into insignificance when compared to the aforementioned.

What sort of vehicle do you drive?
How many cc's?
On average, how many passenger's do you carry?
Do you car pool?

IMO, you're like a Vegan wearing a leather belt.

I myself do not drive, although at times I wish I did, on the whole I have saved myself a fortune, I live in a small village in Wales which does not have any Rail connections, so have to use local buses. People keep telling me I should have a car when living in such a rural area, but I manage just fine. I just don't seem to able to justify the purchasing of a car.

[edit on 6-7-2004 by Koka]

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 06:47 AM
link   

No, but any vegetarians that eat meat are hypocrites

No, any vegetarians that eat meat aren't vegetarians. :shk:

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Koka

1. I have not claimed to be an environmentalist (this is why you are not sure what my gripe is).

2. My gripe is that I have to pay money to the government to try to clean the air. Then the goverment spends some of that money on the purchase of fireworks (and it aint cheap) which pollute the air (the insignifagance of which is not the point even though I don't think it is insignifagant when you see how many cities and towns have displays, some all year round).

3. I think the US federal, state, and local governmants are way over the top when it comes to evironmental protection. Mostly all they protect is their job while raisng taxes and fees.

4. I drive a four door pickup not sure on the cc's but its a small 8 cylinder. At work I am alone most of the time, at home I use it to drive the woman and two kids around. I put about 20,000 miles a year on it. Sometimes at work I drive with one or two other guys.

5. Funny thing about busses - around here they seem to spew more pollution than cars (not sure if its the same pollution but they sure do smell worse). It would be nice to get by witout a car but most people need one.

Is the money you pay for the bus enough to pay for the operation of the bus or is it publicly subsidized like over here ? I sure would like to save a fortune as well, riding in subsidized transportion.

6. I must have missed the sarcasm in what I thought was a compliment from you. You may want to read and write a little more clearly in the future.

Rant

You are correct If one eats meat one is not a vegitarian. My bad.
should have thought about it more before I typed. I think the idea was there though and served the point.

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 09:55 AM
link   

All environmentalists that enjoy fireworks displays this weekend are hypocrites!

Its pretty funny when you see all the toxic chemicals that are released by igniting fireworks.
Toxic chemicals that we all have to breath. Yet the government tries to sue tobacco companies and ban cigarets in the name of public health?

do people light off fire works indoors, no. they ban smoking cause it causes cancer and people who dont smoke should not get the consequences of people who do smoke. secondhand smoke kills too you know.

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 10:14 AM
link   
This gorverment is not for enviromental issues and most people careless as long as their everyday happy lifes do not suffer. As lonf as forest fires and pollution does not iterrupt our lifes. What a pitty

Ambient Sound, I am sorry for you lost.

Bud the issue is that while we concentrate on Iraq and "war on terrort" this country have more issues in enviroment that ever before.

Administration proposal would open more national forest land to logging
Under a proposed rule outlined in this week's federal register, Governors would be required to petition the federal government to block road-building in remote areas of national forests under a Bush administration proposal to boost logging.

The admistration does not want forest to survive, or it does not care about the air we breathed.

Nearly 100 million in United States are breathing particulates, says EPA
The US EPA reported yesterday that nearly 100 million Americans in 21 states live in areas where the air is unhealthy due to particulate emissions.

Does not care about the quality of the water we drink.

Currently, several Wisconsin lakes and rivers are too contaminated to be used as drinking water sources, including the lower Fox River in Northeast Wisconsin. Many other communities have to carefully filter and treat their surface waters to make them safe for drinking.

This is the legacy we are going to give to our childrens and our childrens childrens for generations to come.

www.cwac.net...

environment.about.com...

Wake up people we have issues and they are getting ugly.

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 10:42 AM
link   
marge6043

Do you realize that the government purchases fireworks with taxpayer money ?
Do you realize that forest fires are natural and that the EPA is the reason forest fires are so bad - due to the leave the forest alone policy and the fact that forest fires are fought ?

People didn't care about the environment at all 50 years ago, I'd say we have come a long way in 50 years. At least we are thinking about it.

Did you enjoy fireworks this year ?

KrazyIvan

Fireworks pollution is bad for our health and gets into ground water.I'm not saying they should not or should ban cigaretts, just trying to point out the hypocrisy of it.

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Sorry to say I did not even got out of my house, and for the forest fires yes I know that the forest are to burn naturally but when wood is lost in the process and corporation are profiting from burn wood occurs they will try anything to stop fires, and let not talk about the expensive house at the edge of those forest either, and lest to talk about the hypocrisy of everything that goes on with our administration and the environment.

By the way I have not seen a firework fouth of july since my husband was in the service.

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 12:48 PM
link   
marg6043
I am having trouble comprehending your last post, maybe its me.
could you reword it for me- the part about the corporations stopping forest fires.
Did you know the government buys with (taxpayer money) fireworks that they ignite which produces pollution ? Then they raise taxes/fees to try to deal with pollution.

Government hypocrisy is one of the reasons for this thread.

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Well obviously we are not on the same boat here, I am talking about the eviroment in general and you refer to the fireworks so thanks for the post it brings me to the point about air, see, eviroment invloves from air to water, to soil and anything in between.
Including forest and forest fires.

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 02:48 PM
link   
marg6043

Were not on the same page either

If you go back and reread my first post you will see that this thread was about fireworks and the environmental hypocrites that enjoy them.

ENJOY being the operative word.

You don't seem to want to answer my question either

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I guess I misunderstood you I apologized for that, but you made a good point on the enviroment and I just tried to take advantage of it.

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Well, I know vegetarians who eat fish, and I think thats downright cruel. I dont fiddle around with it, I like meat. Red and bloody, I love meat. Save the tuna, eat a dolphin!

But back to the actual topic.....environmentalists who watch fireworks cant relaly do anything about it. Its not as if there are many environmentalists on the fireworks commitee around here, much less, I doubt there are many evironmentalists AT ALL around here. Most of us like our steak read and bloody, if that tells you anything at all about our environmental habits!

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 04:36 AM
link   

1. I have not claimed to be an environmentalist (this is why you are not sure what my gripe is).

True

2. My gripe is that I have to pay money to the government to try to clean the air. Then the goverment spends some of that money on the purchase of fireworks (and it aint cheap) which pollute the air (the insignifagance of which is not the point even though I don't think it is insignifagant when you see how many cities and towns have displays, some all year round).

So your gripe really has nothing to do with the Environment, it's all to do with the hypocrisy of the government and the fact that you have to pay taxes.

3. I think the US federal, state, and local governmants are way over the top when it comes to evironmental protection. Mostly all they protect is their job while raisng taxes and fees.

The present administration has little concern for the Environment, not that I need to tell anyone that.

4. I drive a four door pickup not sure on the cc's but its a small 8 cylinder. At work I am alone most of the time, at home I use it to drive the woman and two kids around. I put about 20,000 miles a year on it. Sometimes at work I drive with one or two other guys.

Well, when most cars here in the UK have 4 cylinders, i'm guessing yours is a gas guzzler.

5. Funny thing about busses - around here they seem to spew more pollution than cars (not sure if its the same pollution but they sure do smell worse). It would be nice to get by witout a car but most people need one.

Is the money you pay for the bus enough to pay for the operation of the bus or is it publicly subsidized like over here ? I sure would like to save a fortune as well, riding in subsidized transportion.

The bus is run by a private company so, would guess thay earn enough to pay for it's existence. It is quite likely that buses on average, spew out more pollution than the average car, however they also carry up to ten times the amount of passengers. They have also started testing hydrogen powered buses over here, which would be a great benefit, and ease my mind somewhat.

6. I must have missed the sarcasm in what I thought was a compliment from you. You may want to read and write a little more clearly in the future.

Sarcasm unfortunately is a bi-product of my existence, however I do appreciate your honesty in this post. (No sarcasm this time).

Maybe we can share a spliff one day....!!

[edit on 7-7-2004 by Koka]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join