It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Navy And USMC Personnel Warned Of Financial Hardship For Accessing WIKILEAKS!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 02:03 AM
link   
The Special Security Office of the Marine Corps Intelligence Department addressed to ALCON (all concerned) threatens to discipline offenders. Not only have troops been banned from accessing WikiLeaks but has warned them of dire consequences if they do so!

"By willingly accessing the WIKILEAKS website for the purpose of viewing the posted classified material - these actions constitute the unauthorized processing, disclosure, viewing, and downloading of classified information onto an UNAUTHORIZED computer system not approved to store classified information, meaning they have WILLINGLY committed a SECURITY VIOLATION."

"Not only are these actions illegal, but they provide the justification for local security officials to immediately remove, suspend 'FOR CAUSE' all security clearances and accesses. Commanders may press for Article 15 or 32 charges, and USMC personnel could face financial hardship as civilian and contractor personnel will be placed on 'Administrative Leave' pending the outcome of the [criminal] investigation."

Wow! That's a tough one!

www.washingtontimes.com...

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 02:11 AM
link   
reply to post by OrionHunterX

Wow, That is tough. They must must be really honked off to clamp down this hard...
How do they find out if they looked?
And how do they find out about civil contractors looking?
And how do they enforce this? Come in for a pillow tag inspection?? WoW!

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 02:23 AM
link   
WTF??? How would they know? They can't even grab Assanges ass after what he's done, leave alone trying to find out who's accessing WikiLeaks! Just plain dumb!

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 02:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by OrionHunterX
The Special Security Office of the Marine Corps Intelligence Department addressed to ALCON (all concerned) threatens to discipline offenders. Not only have troops been banned from accessing WikiLeaks but has warned them of dire consequences if they do so!

"By willingly accessing the WIKILEAKS website for the purpose of viewing the posted classified material - these actions constitute the unauthorized processing, disclosure, viewing, and downloading of classified information onto an UNAUTHORIZED computer system not approved to store classified information, meaning they have WILLINGLY committed a SECURITY VIOLATION."

"Not only are these actions illegal, but they provide the justification for local security officials to immediately remove, suspend 'FOR CAUSE' all security clearances and accesses. Commanders may press for Article 15 or 32 charges, and USMC personnel could face financial hardship as civilian and contractor personnel will be placed on 'Administrative Leave' pending the outcome of the [criminal] investigation."

Wow! That's a tough one!

www.washingtontimes.com...

Meh, no incentive there for me, They have already stolen every earthly thing
I have. Screw them, let them burn for every nasty vile thing that they have done
to us.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 02:26 AM
link   

I am Stunned,,,so much for the WK DISINFO,PSYOP,FOREIGN AGENCY CRAP, This has hit a nerve.

Just Who the Heck is passing this info to WK? Can't blame WK for anything more than irresponsibility.

Pandora's Box Surreal. Yowza!

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 02:29 AM
link   

Hmm, I guess they don't want the "cannon fodder" knowing the truth..

Maybe they are worried some enlisted personel may question WTF they're fighting for, or whom...
edit on 1-12-2010 by backinblack because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 02:31 AM
link   
This is so bogus it is comical. Like they can't block the wikileaks site from all military computers....Sigh. Just another sign that wikileaks is controlled opposition. If they are talking about private PC's then they will have to monitor all personal and thier IP's

I am laughing that anyone is buying this as legitimate whistle blowing. Maybe this whole BS campaign is to justify locking down the internet, you know for national security and all... Sigh

edit on 1-12-2010 by hawkiye because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 03:13 AM
link   
I addressed this issue in another thread, but I'll repeat it here.

First, if you're on base, you can bet your bippy they know what you're looking at. I've seen it happen over, and over, and over again. Even if you're using a personal computer, but are still located on base, they know. All information exchanged, whether phone calls, emails, or internet activity, is known. They show up as flags, and base personnel are informed long before the person knows what happened. The MP's will come knocking, arrest the person, then confiscate the computer for investigation. Plain and simple.

Second, it's not a conspiracy about Wikileaks...at least not to my understanding, it isn't. It's a matter of SECURITY. As I stated before, the site itself has the ability to phish for information from what I understand. It is detrimental that military people DON'T access this site, especially if they are on a government facility. The order was not "don't read the documents". The order was, "don't go to the website". People would be terrifying surprised at the methods in which information can be stolen these days, and all it takes is for you to have wi-fi on ANY of your personal pieces of equipment in a public spot...and that is LOW TECH!!

I'm all for uncovering hidden agendas, and I think Wikileaks stinks to high heaven, but as far the military is concerned, accessing this site is a security issue. Listen, everyone needs to think like a spy, not a computer geek. You'll understand it better then, and realize how serious this is.

Maybe these documents aren't that big of a deal, but the security breech is.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 03:19 AM
link   
I guess wikileaks is causing a lot of attention from the mass consciousness of the world right now huh?

Is TWZ correct? Where is this whole issue going? When did all this information start to exchange hands?

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 03:28 AM
link   
Obviously the millitree commanders have got someting they dont want the soldiers to know.

One could be forgiven for thinking the millttree is hiding criminal acts, after all if they have nothging to while try n prevent soldiers from reading what wikileaks has got to say and make their own minds up. Do they think they will get infected with wikileacks or something?

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 03:37 AM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

This may just be coincidence, but I just was 404 from ATS for the last 30-45 minutes.
I have been an avid reader of not only this site, but MANY others that permeate all cross sections of
inteligence/media for several years. I have Never experienced blockage to ATS like that before.
Evidently , The Central Scrutinizer is at its best, or I should pull in my reigns,or be more careful. I wouldn't want to hurt myself, or anyone else.
As Scarred and Tattered as I am, I was still raising my fist and yelling at Total Information Awareness.
At least I was honest and true, Good Old American Genetics. Fully Functional Now.
Probably best that I head on down to the Music Department now, and leave the rest to you good people.

Cheers ATS,,,,,You Really Are Exceptional! Catch you on the rebound,,,,,Wildmanimal

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 03:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Gseven

Do any of you people have any idea how a network is run? I'll say it again this warning is totally unnecessary. Every network server has a list of blocked IP address and and ports it is a simple matter to bloc wikileaks on any military network. THERE IS NO SECURITY ISSUE. That is a bogus red herring.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by ColonelSF
WTF??? How would they know? They can't even grab Assanges ass after what he's done, leave alone trying to find out who's accessing WikiLeaks! Just plain dumb!

I am not sure how other branches do it - but NMCI machines are fully logged - every single action on the machine is logged and sent back to a server somewhere. That's why it takes forever and a day to log on to the computer, so much so that a few NOSCs are testing a new reserve program where wireless connections are available and private computers can be used in conjunction with card-readers and the CAC-access systems to carry out business. The NMCI machines are so bogged down with bull crap that they are next to useless - and sometimes worse than useless, as you'll spend half your day only to find out you can't finish your work because some plugin is disabled (yet somehow required for whatever it is that you will be given Admin-UA's or processed out over).

Since many of the documents are officially given a classification level, and pretty much all NMCI machines over the NIPRNET are Unclassified - it is a knowing breach of protocol to bring classified material onto an unclassified network.

Until the documents are declassified and approved for public release, we face prosecution for bringing these documents onto a government computer (which is subject to monitoring). On our private computers, it is not really something they will pursue - unless we bring in our personal computers and are showing the documents off in the work-space and some hard-ass comes along.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   

I agree with the threat.

The troops can not be going into "battle" with doubt in their minds.

That will get people killed.

Plus once you work for the US government you should be LOYAL and respect its wishes.

After all, lets be completely truthful. Most of the USMC would be jobless and have zero hope of gaining employment if they did not have the forces to join. So in order for the luxury of employment and pay they need to obey or face charges.

top topics

join