It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Details of tomorrows NASA extra terrestrial life press conference revealed...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 01:43 AM
link   
Hope of finding extra terrestrial life in space got a huge boost after scientists found microbes in a deadly arsenic lake in California.
NASA researchers- amazed that a anything could thrive in the deadly liquid, will unveil their dramatic conclusions tomorrow.
They say microbes prove a second form of life started on earth in environments previously thought too hostile.
It opened the possibility that extra terrestrial life can exist.
Geobiologist dr felisa Wolfe-Simon made the breakthrough during 2 years probing mono lake in california's yosemite national park, which has one of the highest concentrations of arsenic on earth.
She will be among NASA backed experts explaining the findings, others include ecologist James elser who researches the possibility of et life on Other planets.
Basic forms of life of life found before all rely on phosphorous to exist. But astrobiologist dr Lewis darntell of londons planetary sciences said "if these organisms use arsenic in their metabolism, it demonstrates that there are other forms of life to those we knew of"
He said of the mono lake microbes "they're aliens, but aliens that share the same home as us..

Source provided in post below..
edit on 1-12-2010 by Misterlondon because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Would you please post your source?

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 01:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Misterlondon

LOL...I could see this as being the announcement. You don't have any sources...so not sure if it is true or not...but it fits the bill of the announcement as to it "changing the way we look for extraterrestial life".

I always find it funny when people get all excited by these NASA announcements thinking that this will be the "disclosure" they were all waiting for.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 01:51 AM
link   

"if these organisms use arsenic in their metabolism, it demonstrates that there are other forms of life to those we knew of"
He said of the mono lake microbes "they're aliens, but aliens that share the same home as us..

Honestly, does NASA have to state the obvious??
All life does not neccessarily have to live under the same conditions as life on earth..
I thought most accepted that decades ago..
There could be silica based life forms..They don't have to breathe oxygen..
Who knows??

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Sorry I have provided any sources, I'm using a phone and cannot provide any links this way...

I read an article in a uk newspaper, but did a quick google search and the story is covered by many newsagencies..
If someone could put a link on, would be very much appreciated..

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 01:57 AM
link   
www.cbsnews.com...

posting source for OP, and for everyone else soooo...

yup. it's real. let's only wait and see what NASA has to say

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack

"if these organisms use arsenic in their metabolism, it demonstrates that there are other forms of life to those we knew of"

All life does not neccessarily have to live under the same conditions as life on earth..
Who knows??

Actually that quote was not from NASA, it was a quote from an astrobiologist in London..

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 02:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Myollinir

Thanks for the link...

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 02:02 AM
link   

Actually that quote was not from NASA, it was a quote from an astrobiologist in London..

OK, if I had a source I would have known that..

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Myollinir
www.cbsnews.com...

Such sarcastic b-tards - CBS and/or the writer. I mean, the picture of the alien - and even if nothing is going to be revealed at the conference, these media reports are always a joke. Literally.

Why is this?

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher

LOL...I could see this as being the announcement. You don't have any sources...so not sure if it is true or not...but it fits the bill of the announcement as to it "changing the way we look for extraterrestial life".

I always find it funny when people get all excited by these NASA announcements thinking that this will be the "disclosure" they were all waiting for.

There is now a link thanks to another user..

Yeah I agree, always loads of hype when NASA announce a press conference... I'm sure if proof of e.t life existed and they were going to tell the masses.. Surely that news would be announced by the president or another world leader..

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 02:10 AM
link   

OK, if I had a source I would have known that..

Fair enough, I apologise for not providing a source, can't do it from my phone.. Just trying to put the story out there for everyone..

But it does state who the quote is from in the original post..

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 02:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by impaired

www.cbsnews.com...

Such sarcastic b-tards - CBS and/or the writer. I mean, the picture of the alien - and even if nothing is going to be revealed at the conference, these media reports are always a joke. Literally.

Why is this?

Lol.. I know it's a joke!! They media always do that
The worst is when there is something on tv and they ALWAYS use that same stupid music In the background..
In this day and age, with the knowledge we have of our universe, I don't understand how it can be considered such a joke in the media!

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 04:51 AM
link   
WoW whats next "NASA announces there is a Moon next to planet Earth"

Why don't they just let the cat out of the bag and admit to us stupid tax payers what is so obvious that ET's are here, have always been here it really is not a big deal, not like most of us all ready know or see what has been going on , and the ones that will have difficulty getting over themselves will get through it or just have to tough it out. We will be the shoulder to cry on for them if they need it.

But if they did that then they would no longer receive funding because they would then be an obsolete space agency. Also the decades of lying and biting the hand that fed them would not bold well for us enablers, funding the $$$$ junkies at NASA . They will not incriminate themselves for being frauds either of curse never tell on yourself. Plus that would cost American jobs. Germs in a jar of formaldehyde from planet X does not impress me at all. It is just another "hey remember us we need more money" publicity stunt they pull now in then. Nothing new, not news.

Now open your wallets NASA needs your money

edit on 1-12-2010 by Unknown Soldier because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 05:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Misterlondon

Originally posted by impaired

www.cbsnews.com...

Why is this?

Lol.. I know it's a joke!! They media always do that
The worst is when there is something on tv and they ALWAYS use that same stupid music In the background..
In this day and age, with the knowledge we have of our universe, I don't understand how it can be considered such a joke in the media!

You mean how they always have the X Files theme song chime in and roll eyes uncomfortably with a awkward vibe?

Never noticed

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 06:18 AM
link   
Maybe this will clear things up

www.universetoday.com...

You may have heard in your wanderings through the blogosphere and in the internet today that NASA will be holding a press conference on December 2nd in which they will make an announcement regarding information the search for extraterrestrial life. And that this announcement involves astrobiology, the study of life outside what we know about here on Earth. While true, it is nothing to get worked up about. Speculation abounds that this is, “the big one,” and that an announcement will be made that extraterrestrial life has been discovered. You can find this speculation at Kottke.org, io9, Gawker, and a lot of other places. To be clear, there is almost no chance that the press release will be announcing little green men or little brown bacteria anywhere. Follow along for the long explanation below the fold. Here’s what the press release is titled: “NASA Sets News Conference on Astrobiology Discovery: Science Journal Has Embargoed Details Until 2 p.m. EST On Dec. 2″. All this means is that Science Journal will be publishing some results related to astrobiology that are under embargo until that time. The embargo system is a basically a way of allowing journalists to see scientific results and get interviews and do research on an article before it’s published, but only if they promise to publish their information after the original publication does so. It makes sense, and it works most of the time to the benefit of almost everyone. NASA regularly – like every day – announces upcoming press conferences and releases, and embargoed press releases float around to science writers like those of us here at Universe Today. This in itself is nothing out of the ordinary, and anyone with an email address can sign up to have these announcements delivered to their inbox or view them on NASA’s website. These emails are meant mainly to notify members of the press that there is something coming up worthy of being a phone-in listener of, the details of which require you to have press credentials. The press release goes on to say,

“NASA will hold a news conference at 2 p.m. EST on Thursday, Dec. 2, to discuss an astrobiology finding that will impact the search for evidence of extraterrestrial life. Astrobiology is the study of the origin, evolution, distribution and future of life in the universe. The news conference will be held at the NASA Headquarters auditorium at 300 E St. SW, in Washington. It will be broadcast live on NASA Television and streamed on the agency’s website at www.nasa.gov.... Participants are: - Mary Voytek, director, Astrobiology Program, NASA Headquarters, Washington - Felisa Wolfe-Simon, NASA astrobiology research fellow, U.S. Geological Survey, Menlo Park, Calif. - Pamela Conrad, astrobiologist, NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center, Greenbelt, Md. - Steven Benner, distinguished fellow, Foundation for Applied Molecular Evolution, Gainesville, Fla. - James Elser, professor, Arizona State University, Tempe”
And that’s about it. My first reaction to this was that they had potentially made the discovery of exotic, new organic molecules in an exoplanetary atmosphere, or that some chemical conducive to the existence of life as we know it was possibly found on some body in the Solar System. Announcements like this come out of NASA all of the time. Just because some of the participants do work in fields that are related to oceanography or ecology or biology, does not mean that their services are required here to help make an announcement that life other than that on Earth has been discovered, as other speculative bloggers might think. As Nancy wrote in a post earlier today, extraterrestrial life is very much of interest to Universe Today readers. Which is why she’ll be listening in on that news conference Thursday, and reporting what findings are released. Extraterrestrial life is very much of interest to probably most of the population of our planet, too, and the fact that we have the tools necessary to potentially make this discovery within the next few hundred years (or sooner), is really, really exciting. But just because it’s exciting doesn’t mean we have to jump all over a NASA press release that includes the words “extraterrestrial life” or “precursor to life on Mars” and make wild speculations. When that announcement is made (or if, depending on how you choose to solve the Drake Equation), you can be sure that it will be very closely guarded until being made public, and after that the President will likely have some things to say. For some more level-headed analysis, Keith Cowing at Nasa Watch has some much more reasonable speculation that the announcement involves arsenic biochemistry. The Bad Astronomer, Phil Plait, also has a good debunking of the rampant speculation, and makes some good points about how NASA can create press releases in the future that have better-worded announcements. So calm down – but don’t stop looking up! Keep being excited about all of the genuinely cool and exciting developments we’re currently making with regards to space.
NASA press release www.nasa.gov...

edit on 1-12-2010 by Unknown Soldier because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 06:45 AM
link   
FYI.

Nasa has discovered extremophilics which has arsenic based metabolism.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 07:18 AM
link   

mono lake in california's yosemite national park,

first problem is that Mono lake is not in California's yosemite national park,

second is that no one is saying this is extra terrestrial life just that it shows that ET life could exist in high arsenic conditions.
edit on 1-12-2010 by ANNED because: to add more evidence

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Unknown Soldier
WoW whats next "NASA announces there is a Moon next to planet Earth"

lol, soo true.

We are treated for the most part as morons, especially by nasa.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Who knows??

There's a big difference between what is accepted and what has been proven.

This certainly doesn't have the WOW factor of some of the other speculation, but it is significant and worthy of the PC they have scheduled.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join