It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Report warns Obama about 'new' Dark Ages

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   
I have major trouble reading anything put out by that hack organization...

I see this is not political in nature, however, that specific organization is something I simply refuse to read..a bit like "newsmax has sent Obama a letter about meteor impact damage potential". The actual science may be fine, but the organization itself is like the onion of politics...but without the humor.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   
And imagine what would happen if Snake Plissken is in the near!!
Sounds like Hollywood

edit on 1-12-2010 by SwissGurl because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-12-2010 by SwissGurl because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by SwissGurl

I might love you for posting this.
I actually met Tom Atkins at a convention the other day. Snapped a picture with him.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

What is absolutely hilarious about this is that I wrote on the topic as a high school student many years ago. These people and their 6-7 figure salaries come up with things that teens and many other "regular folk" have been contemplating and saying for years now.

At some of our local stores here during black friday the computer systems and payment system were pretty much useless. The line grew and grew and the young cashiers seemed to be confused how to conduct business transactions without a computer or calculator.

Astonishing.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   
So....I can't find any information to back up my opinion that the damage requires a power source. I could be wrong. I formed that opinion while researching a way to shield a vehicle and ensure it would be useful after an attack, but I can't find the related research now. My plan was to keep a pre-1984 vehicle with a heavy-duty kill switch to the battery and a few spare electronical parts on hand.

The Wiki article is pretty informative, but it doesn't provide any information for protecting against the effects. It does clarify the different E1, E2, and E3 pulses that are present. It seems like the OP mostly references damages from the E3 pulse, but that particular pulse is the hardest to generate, requires lower altitude and larger bomb to be effective. In other words it would be a "state-sponsored" attack, not a simple terrorist attack. The E1 and E2 pulses could be very effective, but only at a very high altitude (in the range of satellite orbits), therefore they would require sophisticated delivery systems, so again they would require state-sponsorships and would be beyond the capability of terrorist groups.

In my humble opinion, the country is much more vulnerable on more local scales, with much less risk and expense associated with it. Simple coordinated attacks could take down the power grid more efficiently, and with much less risk and expense. Simple coordinated attacks could disrupt traffic and daily life and routine much more efficiently and with less risk (think DC Sniper).

The EMP risk may be real, but it should be very low on the priority list of protecting the country. The priority list should be #1 Protection against overbearing government and corporate control! #2 Protection of Sovereign borders and citizens privileges. #3 Protection against violent crimes, offenders, abuses, and molestations from our own population! #4 Protection against violence from outside our borders (terrorists). #5 Protection against State-Sponsored acts of War.

If we protect the rights and priveliges of our citizens, secure our borders, control our government and corporations, and police our citizens-friends-families, then we have very, very little risk from terrorism and war.

Why spend enormous amounts of money and time preventing the least likely of attacks? Why not protect against the lifestyle daily attacks already happening?

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Super-EMP weapons

Last but not least, senior Russian EMP experts warned the EMP Commission that “brain drain” from Russia enabled North Korea to make what the Russians call “Super-EMP” weapons.11 According to Russian open sources, these are small, low-yield nuclear weapons that can generate extraordinarily powerful EMP fields, many times more powerful than the E1 EMP from a multi-megaton weapon.12 Both of North Korea’s nuclear weapons tests that produced low yield “fizzles” look very like what would be expected from a “Super-EMP” weapon. According to open source reporting, South Korean military intelligence claims North Korea is receiving Russian help developing “Super-EMP” weapons.13

Moreover, the EMP Commission discovered from its investigations that, as noted in the Commission’s unclassified Executive Report, “Certain types of relatively low-yield nuclear weapons can be employed to generate potentially catastrophic EMP effects over wide geographic areas, and designs for variants of such weapons may have been illicitly trafficked for a quarter-century.”14

On a related matter, Dr. Butt incorrectly asserts that “due to the fact that the super-EMP weapon will be directional, it is unlikely to effect a large part of the country.” In fact, a “Super-EMP” weapon can be designed to be directional (the more challenging design) or to cover broad area (the simpler design). The simplest design of a “Super-EMP” nuclear weapon, configured for broad area coverage, could generate extraordinarily high EMP fields over the entire contiguous United States.

www.thespacereview.com...

This is the obvious and unstoppable route that Russia and China will take to collapse the US - they have set up both NK and Iran to be able to do this and not worry about any retaliation.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 05:08 PM
link   
I have another question, could a large EMP erase things on cd's, hardrives and other disc storage devices?
I had this crazy notion years ago that this switching to everything digital would sure make erasing history(again?) easier. What about stuff on tape, would it erase that too?

spec

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

good question but i doubt it.. a cd's information is engraved on it pretty much... computer hard drive...mayyyyybeee.. i wouldnt know

but this has been a very interesting post... seeing as its the first time i have read every comment in all 3 pages... i usually dont care to read 6 pages of comments or post since no one will probably see it 6 pages in..

to be quite honest... i probably wouldn't care if this happens.. so long it at least happened during spring or summer ahaha...we use to survive fine without all the crap we have now... remember hunting? no cuz now its sport and not survival. remember when you had to talk to someone with your mouth instead of pressing buttons? i feel bad for anyone who cant figure out how to start a fire.lol and as for those comments about city people.. i live in Windsor Ontario Canada (right across the border from Detroit) ... i know damn well i'll be able to figure something out were this to happen. doubt it will though in less like stated it was a complete natural event. learnt a lot from this thread tho.. good post.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   
CD's will survive, but then what are you going to play them on?

This will leave the only advanced technology, and info in the hands of the elites in thier underground cities - they can re-write history anyway that suits them.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Sounds like a Chaos Theory from what i understand from the article, an EMP Pusle attack is the only
thing which will untie and bring everyone to join the new world order, of course there will be those who will not join.

Thats how i see it.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
So....I can't find any information to back up my opinion that the damage requires a power source. I could be wrong. I formed that opinion while researching a way to shield a vehicle and ensure it would be useful after an attack, but I can't find the related research now. My plan was to keep a pre-1984 vehicle with a heavy-duty kill switch to the battery and a few spare electronical parts on hand.

The Wiki article is pretty informative, but it doesn't provide any information for protecting against the effects. It does clarify the different E1, E2, and E3 pulses that are present. It seems like the OP mostly references damages from the E3 pulse, but that particular pulse is the hardest to generate, requires lower altitude and larger bomb to be effective. In other words it would be a "state-sponsored" attack, not a simple terrorist attack. The E1 and E2 pulses could be very effective, but only at a very high altitude (in the range of satellite orbits), therefore they would require sophisticated delivery systems, so again they would require state-sponsorships and would be beyond the capability of terrorist groups.

In my humble opinion, the country is much more vulnerable on more local scales, with much less risk and expense associated with it. Simple coordinated attacks could take down the power grid more efficiently, and with much less risk and expense. Simple coordinated attacks could disrupt traffic and daily life and routine much more efficiently and with less risk (think DC Sniper).

The EMP risk may be real, but it should be very low on the priority list of protecting the country. The priority list should be #1 Protection against overbearing government and corporate control! #2 Protection of Sovereign borders and citizens privileges. #3 Protection against violent crimes, offenders, abuses, and molestations from our own population! #4 Protection against violence from outside our borders (terrorists). #5 Protection against State-Sponsored acts of War.

If we protect the rights and priveliges of our citizens, secure our borders, control our government and corporations, and police our citizens-friends-families, then we have very, very little risk from terrorism and war.

Why spend enormous amounts of money and time preventing the least likely of attacks? Why not protect against the lifestyle daily attacks already happening?

The electromagnetic pulse is obviously a pulse of electromagnetic energy like an obscenely powerful burst of radio wave. if an antenna is long alot the energy is coupled in and converted to a voltage and resulting current. if your toaster is plugged in the toaster has simple resistive wires that carry current to create heat, emp is not going to fry your toaster if plugged in same with vacuum tube electronicsa. theyare very rugged gaps between components are large in a vacuum and components are madeof metal (i.eRugged; no issues) transisters are switches with special materials put together .the junction between the different materials is where the magic happens it doesn'take much of a static discharge to ruin a semiconductor.
If the circuit board trace is long enough to couple enough of the emp wave in it will present a high voltage and irreversibly damage the semiconductors. dends on the energy in the wave how much is coupled into the chip.but some semiconductors have an oxidised junction of as few microns thick.You can see it doesn't take much voltage to arc over a few microns.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Thanks for that reply, I knew I was not going bananas on this one, it seems true and it is NOT just America.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join