It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Report warns Obama about 'new' Dark Ages

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 12:50 AM
link   
I think some of electrical grids are already malfunctioning from time to time anyway, for instance my lights will flicker as I pass our local power station and in town the lights go out far too often they say because an animal gets fried on the lines...

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 01:01 AM
link   
I have heard about, but not read, "One Second After:". Another good one is "lights out" by David Crawford AKA Halfast. You can read the first 72 pages here:

www.frugalsquirrels.com...

Originally the entire novel was online, and may still be if you dig, but was taken of the few sites I saw it posted at as the auther is currently in printing/screenplay negotiations. But even the sneak peak is pretty good.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 06:59 AM
link   
reply to post by SrWingCommander

Thanks for the heads up on this one!

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Does an EMP effect electrical things that are not in use?
like wind generators and other portable power units?

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 07:15 AM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

Plunging us into a very real darkness, figuratively, metaphorically, and literally... The unconscious would run free across the land...it would be terrifying

Look on the bright side...at least it would allow the US to meet it's climate targets!

There's always a silver lining.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 07:18 AM
link   

So the Government is preparing to avoid a self-attack made by an EMP. What EMP is capable to take down? The Internet. What is the greatest problem of the Government right now? Wait... let me guess. The Internet.
edit on 1-12-2010 by Sentinel412 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 07:25 AM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

I'm right there with ya. I lived in the country as a young man, met a pretty woman and moved to town... a developement with relocated city folk.

Hurricane Fran comes through NC and we lose power for 9 days... It was like camping out. i broke out my camp grill, my wind up radio...flashlight...all my "goofy" survival gear that "I would never need" according to my now ex wife. I did fine...not so for my neighbors... they lined up for ice and water and food...damned pitiful sight, too.

Worse yet, all of my neighbors looked down on me...I had a camo Ford pick up, chain saws..we burnt wood in winter... during the clean up, I was literally the only one that could run a saw safely... after that, they weren't so harsh and anti-social.

In the event of an EMP, it would get pretty ugly fast in town and God help the folks in cities... one of many reasons I moved so far out...it takes an hour and a half to watch 60 Minutes.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 07:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Sentinel412

Actually an emp could be a natural carrington effect which kills all electronics...

No need to fear your neighbor when nature is scary enough

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 07:30 AM
link   
An EMP eh? Knocks out all power and infrastructure?

Well, who's up for forming an adventure/treasure hunting band?
edit on 1-12-2010 by LeTan because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka
reply to post by antar

Honestly, i don't think the source of the energy really matters much, it's the stuff at uses the energy, like transistors... Resistors.... Chips.... Cell phones, radios, etc

And, the method we use to transport energy, AC, at least in the states, requires step-downs which are also built on electronics so the actual street you are on would be without electricity to your outlets.

Generators may work after this, im not so sure as to how much electronics they have in them and it may depend on the model.

Everything that does not have power supplied to it at the time of the Pulse would still work. In other words, if you had a generator and it wasn't running and it wasn't hooked up to a power source (not even a battery for electric start), then the generator would still work immediately after the Pulse. If you have an old car without a battery in it, then you could move a battery from another car into the old one and it would still start and run.

The only true danger here is the "people" involved. The scenario is really no different than a major hurricane or a major blizzard. People would be without power and electronics for weeks, maybe even months. Those that are prepared and planned ahead will be fine. The others will begin to suffer and lash out. Riots, Looting, etc. Elderly and Infirm would be in danger much like NoLa after Katrina. People will die, people will riot, crime will skyrocket, but it would certainly not be "New Dark Ages." It would take days to weeks before critical power was restored to hospitals and headquarters. It would probably take months to restore power to everyone. After the power is restored, most personal electronics would be fried, so it would result in a lot of maintenance and expense to everyone.

As in most disasters, places with high population density (cities) will suffer greatly, people won't be prepared, they will overreact, and it will be bedlam, while rural areas are probably already prepared, the population is used to adversity, they won't overreact, neighbors will help neighbors and things will be fine.

Its all about preparation, responsibility, and adaptability.......and of course Location-Location-Location, LOL!

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack

No need to panic..I'm sure the DUMBS are all shielded from such an attack..

Now all I need is a doorpass..

lol.

I would not worry about this either.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lil Drummerboy

Only if they have power at the time of the Pulse.

The Pulse just magnifies and overloads the circuits, it does not have power of its own, therefore if something is unplugged and has no batteries, it won't be affected by the Pulse. However, the grid will go down, so their won't be power to plug it back into after a Pulse. Anything plugged up to power will lose most of its "solid-state" electronics. Older things, like cars that run on "points" will probably still work just fine.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by antar
I think some of electrical grids are already malfunctioning from time to time anyway, for instance my lights will flicker as I pass our local power station and in town the lights go out far too often they say because an animal gets fried on the lines...

Lets keep track of rolling blackouts

Are we already having rolling blackouts?

Some people think they are already "conserving" energy by rolling 60 minute blackouts through areas during times it won't be noticed. On the news it is often reported as "animals on the lines," just like you said!

My brother MeMarf1 and I began communicating and timing these blackouts and for about 2 years we were able to track exactly 60 minute blackouts approximately every 8 days in several different medium sized towns. They always came at similar times and they were always EXACTLY 60 minutes, no deviation whatsoever! It has stopped for the most part in our areas, but it was very consistent for quite a long time!

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

Only if they have power at the time of the Pulse.

The Pulse just magnifies and overloads the circuits, it does not have power of its own, therefore if something is unplugged and has no batteries, it won't be affected by the Pulse. However, the grid will go down, so their won't be power to plug it back into after a Pulse. Anything plugged up to power will lose most of its "solid-state" electronics. Older things, like cars that run on "points" will probably still work just fine.

You sure about that? Because I was under the impression that a powerful enough blast could produce enough "induced" current in the circuits of electronics, even those powered off, to fry stuff like microprocessors and other sensitive components. I thought one needed to shield the device from the pulse, not simply power off.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 08:37 AM
link   
. Much of the world's intellectual brain power (half of it is in the United States) would be lost as well'.

Where is the other half ? This may explain all the halfwits running your country

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by tjack

99% sure, from everything I have read. I could be wrong, but I don't believe the induced current is anything to be concerned about unless it has a power source to amplify it.

"Powered Off" is not enough though! It has to be completely disconnected from the Power, including back up batteries.

HERE is some great info on EMP effects and preparation. Having kill switches, grounding straps, and Faraday cages when possible is pretty efficient. Older model Diesel engines will be almost untouched. Being unplugged from a power source does not guarantee you won't get the effects, but it certainly limits the effects. As a rule of thumb, if you have a decent amount of distance from the source of the EMP, you have some items that are not connected to any power source and are also grounded to allow quick dissipation of the energy, then you should be pretty unaffected.

The biggest problem will be your unprepared neighbors!
edit on 1-12-2010 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Yes; it shorts the "junctions in semiconductors like a big jolt of static electricity.the only way to protect stuff is to sheld it in a "faraday cage" (a grounded metal box or screen). Also as the electromagnetic pulse passes through miles of power lines it creates extremely high voltages which fry the distribution grid.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Hi

The real article says nothing about any Carrington event. This is the link to the original report:

www.heritage.org...

I would like to see a list of the scientists that say we are overdue for a solar flare\storm of that magnitude. Also I would like to see their merits.

I think more people should check their sources before accepting what they find on the internet as "truth" and dive into speculation.

*My oh my, what a tangled web we weave".

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 10:31 AM
link   

reply to post by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

I'm sorry but you are wrong...

This doesn't have anything to do with power source, but devices...

All exposed electronics would fail permanently

Alternative forms of energy, won't matter.

You misread my post. I stated a real future crisis that will happen that will create a polar change of power between industrialized and non-industrialized people. Fears of EMP attack? It's fearmongering propaganda. EMPs can be extremely destructive, just as destructive as nuclear weapons (which create EMP pulses), chemical weapons, biological weapons, etc. There's one thing that is common among all of these: they are POTENTIAL attacks.

Nobody is going to, out of the blue, drop EMP bombs on American cities. Maybe this will happen during a world war, but the only probability of such an attack right now is purely based off of the fact that some nations have these weapons. I guess the US is just paranoid that the world is out to destroy them or something.

What I was talking about is the upcoming oil crisis. EMPs can destroy electronics and send cities into darkness, but what do you think will happen when the energy just isn't there anymore to power cities? They will go dark. This is what's going to happen. People who are fearful of EMPs being dropped on them seem to be pretty ignorant of the ACTUAL energy crisis that they are creating that will affect them in much worse ways than some idea of enemy attack.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

reply to post by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

I'm sorry but you are wrong...

This doesn't have anything to do with power source, but devices...

All exposed electronics would fail permanently

Alternative forms of energy, won't matter.

You misread my post. I stated a real future crisis that will happen that will create a polar change of power between industrialized and non-industrialized people. Fears of EMP attack? It's fearmongering propaganda. EMPs can be extremely destructive, just as destructive as nuclear weapons (which create EMP pulses), chemical weapons, biological weapons, etc. There's one thing that is common among all of these: they are POTENTIAL attacks.

Nobody is going to, out of the blue, drop EMP bombs on American cities. Maybe this will happen during a world war, but the only probability of such an attack right now is purely based off of the fact that some nations have these weapons. I guess the US is just paranoid that the world is out to destroy them or something.

What I was talking about is the upcoming oil crisis. EMPs can destroy electronics and send cities into darkness, but what do you think will happen when the energy just isn't there anymore to power cities? They will go dark. This is what's going to happen. People who are fearful of EMPs being dropped on them seem to be pretty ignorant of the ACTUAL energy crisis that they are creating that will affect them in much worse ways than some idea of enemy attack.

It would be pretty easy, as we've seen recently, to pop up off the coast and lob a missle armed with a small nuke over a populated area. It detonates a hundred miles up and fries most electronics, including all power distruibution lines. Depends on the size of the blast and the altitude.

How do you replace (no repair possible) all power lines in Southern California, let alone the entire southwest or north east? That's why the fear of 'dark ages' is not crazy.

And someone asked what happens to the nuke plants when all power is fried. Eventually they melt down.

look up Starfish Prime. Just a small test

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join