It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Christmas Warning: Ignorance and Want

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 10:52 PM
link   
It's been posted before and many of you are doubtless familiar with it, but it can still send a shiver up this old spine. And its seasonally relevant.

From Charles Dicken's A Christmas Carol comes an urgent warning. True, its a century and a half old, but its urgancy remains.

Merry Christmas ATS. May we all pass safely through our various dark tunnels.

'Oh, Man! look here! Look, look, down here!' exclaimed the Ghost.

They were a boy and a girl. Yellow, meagre, ragged, scowling, wolfish; but prostrate, too, in their humility. Where graceful youth should have filled their features out, and touched them with its freshest tints, a stale and shrivelled hand, like that of age, had pinched, and twisted them, and pulled them into shreds. Where angels might have sat enthroned, devils lurked, and glared out menacing. No change, no degradation, no perversion of humanity, in any grade, through all the mysteries of wonderful creation, has monsters half so horrible and dread.

Scrooge started back, appalled. Having them shown to him in this way, he tried to say they were fine children, but the words choked themselves, rather than be parties to a lie of such enormous magnitude.

'Spirit, are they yours?' Scrooge could say no more.

'They are Man's,' said the Spirit, looking down upon them. 'And they cling to me, appealing from their fathers. This boy is Ignorance. This girl is Want. Beware them both, and all of their degree, but most of all beware this boy, for on his brow I see that written which is Doom, unless the writing be erased. Deny it!' cried the Spirit, stretching out its hand towards the city. 'Slander those who tell it ye! Admit it for your factious purposes, and make it worse! And abide the end!'

-Dickens, A Christmas Carol

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   
I have never liked this story or the movies, creeps me out, it is no wonder. Thanks for posting this information.

S&F

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   
I agree with Dickens on this. Allow large swaths of the population to need, and eventually they will simply rip it right out of your *ss, and you'll have deserved it. Allow these same people to remain ignorant and uneducated, and the ramifications of eating your raw flesh on the whole of civilization itself won't ever be an issue with these enormous numbers of monsters youve created of what might've been decent and normal human beings.

And you can call them terrorists, or losers, or whatever you want to call them, but being able to simply go to work will become something you'll wish you could do once they've discovered that it won't negatively affect their lot in life by destroying your life. The relatively rich and those who imagine that they might get rich some day, will be the first to be eliminated, and then it'll be what's left of the middle class. Every neigborhood will become a dangerous neighborhood, and the cops....ha.....the cops in New Orleans walked off the job when it all started breaking down, and they were surrounded by an intact state and federal structure. If this mess finally hits the point where the disenfranchised realize that no one gives a sh*t about them, there won't be a state and federal structure left. You God, guns and tax cuts heroes will run out of ammo long before they stop coming for you and your families. Then you'll get to see why you need government.

Idiots.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 07:51 PM
link   

top topics

join