It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Americans, I Have Some Bad News For You

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by ledzeppelin489
Yeah but most loyal Americans won't just abandon this country for a better wage; we're here to make things better for anyone who comes here. America is still the greatest country on Earth, and the OP is just one defector we will not miss

the greatest country on earth! you sir are an idiot not for loving your own country because im a true englishman and ill die loving and defending my country but i still know when we're in the wrong and i'd admit it but what i think you have is blind loyalty which is the worst because you are the easiest to manipulate it offends me when ppl say america is the greatest country on earth when its not im not saying england is either because we have our faults as a country (mainly politicians lol) but america is the most corrupt country in the world your own leaders work you like dogs and when your ill dont look after you if u dont have insurance we have a free health care service its not perfect (mainly because of politicians lol) but we are not required to pay for something that should be a human right paying for private health care is a choice not a necesity in my country

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Truth_B_Told

Complete BS. I travel to Europe often, and the standard of living there is less than what it is here. Most middle class families have only one car, they live in much smaller apartments or houses, don't use AC, and have much less furnishing, electronics, computers, etc in their home. Wages are higher in the US, taxes are lower, and goods are generally less expensive.

A lot of things about Europe are superior to the US, like their diet and public transportation system and yes they get more vacation. But to say their standard of living is better is complete crap. And don't get me started that asians have higher standards, that's simply preposterous.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by astrocramp

Most middle class families have only one car,

Perhaps because they don't need another one - or feel the need to spend money on 'show-pieces' to show off to friends?

they live in much smaller apartments or houses,

Of a different design and layout completely different to the "American" style of building. Again, these people see no need to buy lavishly expensive large houses - they are not materialistic.

don't use AC,

Neither do I! Not because I don't have access to it but because I prefer to save that money to spend elsewhere - and a fan suffices for me.

and have much less furnishing, electronics, computers, etc in their home.

Again, they are not materialistic.

A lot of things about Europe are superior to the US, like their diet and public transportation system and yes they get more vacation. But to say their standard of living is better is complete crap. And don't get me started that asians have higher standards, that's simply preposterous.

Personally, I think that having better diets and public transport constitutes a 'better standard of living' than piling your overly huge home full of materialistic possessions to show off to your friends.
edit on 2/12/2010 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

link   
Double post.
edit on 2/12/2010 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

link   

Complete BS. I travel to Europe often, and the standard of living there is less than what it is here. Most middle class families have only one car, they live in much smaller apartments or houses, don't use AC, and have much less furnishing, electronics, computers, etc in their home. Wages are higher in the US, taxes are lower, and goods are generally less expensive.

In your dopey little yank mind, having less than two cars affects your standard of living? We live in smaller houses and apartments because we live in smaller countries and cities you moron. We don't use A/C because it is already cold. Your next few points are just the most stupid thing on earth...less furnishings?? What the hell? Because you have been in every house then? Less electronics? Jesus man you make out like we live a century behind you! In my house I have 5 computers. Wages are universally agreed to be higher in Europe, and our taxation pays for our services, which is why we don't go bankrupt to go to hospital.

Such stupidity is almost universal in your "country"

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

None of what you posted disproves my point that the standard of living is not higher in Europe than in the US. Europeans typically live and get by with less - less home, less money, less stuff. Not that it's a bad thing, but try converting the middle class American to a European lifestyle, and they would complain like hell that the powers that be are forcing them to live in poverty.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   

reply to post by Kryties

None of what you posted disproves my point that the standard of living is not higher in Europe than in the US. Europeans typically live and get by with less - less home, less money, less stuff. Not that it's a bad thing, but try converting the middle class American to a European lifestyle, and they would complain like hell that the powers that be are forcing them to live in poverty.

Evidently it is. We earn more, we get more paid leave, we get better services and if you look at quality of life ratings, the US is down at 11, the next 10 are European nations.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by astrocramp

I am merely pointing out that most of the comparisons you used were materialistic possessions and luxuries. Not all cultures value these things, in fact there are more that don't than do. It has nothing to do with not being ABLE to get these things - they simply do not want them.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties

I am merely pointing out that most of the comparisons you used were materialistic possessions and luxuries. Not all cultures value these things, in fact there are more that don't than do. It has nothing to do with not being ABLE to get these things - they simply do not want them.

You forget that in the simplistic, dumbed down yank mind, owning things is more important than the pleasure you get from them. Why would we need two cars? We have the best transport infrastructures in the world, in fact, some parts of major European cities are car free. Which means our environment is cleaner, thus we are healthier and happier.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by allthegoodusernamestaken

Easy there, limey. Nothing you posted disproves my point that the standard of living in the US is not less than that in Europe. Usually, access to modern conveniences, living space, and purchasing power are indicators of standard of living. If not, what other indicator is there? Suddenly transplanting a suburban middle class American into a suburban middle class European lifestyle would be difficult for the American to accept. There's lots of things Europeans do better, such as the German and Swiss healthcare systems and public transport (but this is more a matter of how the populations are distributed, impossible to implement in much of America). But saying Americans live in poverty compared to Europeans is simply ridiculous nonsense.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Easy there, limey. Nothing you posted disproves my point that the standard of living in the US is not less than that in Europe. Usually, access to modern conveniences, living space, and purchasing power are indicators of standard of living. If not, what other indicator is there?

To an American yes, those are deemed to be the standards of living, as America is a materialistic society. To other countries that are not materialistic, they have different indicators by which they judge their standard of living.

My god, this is not hard to understand.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   

This is UN data - US is #4, just below Norway, Australia, and New Zealand.

hdr.undp.org...

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

The notion that Europeans are not materialistic and somehow more enlightened and selfless is also nonsense. Most luxury brands, from watches, clothing, and cars originates in Europe and European culture. Europe has a long history and culture of inherited elitism. They are just as competitive and materialistic as any American.

And if you don't believe me, you can have a look at the UN report on human development. US is #4:

hdr.undp.org...

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Thanks for the link, goes to proving our argument and detracting from yours.

Cheers

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Are you by any chance travelling in Eastern-Europe? If not so you are just plain lying, and it is very easy to check.

Just to destroy one of your "facts"... The US is ranked number 14 gross national income per capita in 2009.

Countries ranking higher than the US:

1 Monaco
2 Lichtenstein
3 Norway
4 Luxembourg
5 Channel Islands
6 Qatar
7 Bermuda
8 Denmark
9 Switzerland
10 Kuwait
11 Isle of Man
12 San Marino
13 United Arab Emirates
14 United States of America

(SOURCE)

The Human Development Index ranks the US as number #12,(the index factors income, life expectancy, and education) this index does not include Andorra, Bahrain, Barbados, Brunei, Hong Kong, Japan, Liechtenstein, Malta, New Zealand, Qatar, Singapore, and the United Arab Emirates wich most likely make it a 15th or 16th place.

(SOURCE)

Please do some research, you are making us dumber with your comments.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   

No, you don't have the best transport system in the world - Japan does. Their high speed rails and train network is really a wonder of the world. Public transport is a function of the population density of the city and necessity. Tokyo is a very bad place to try and get around by car, so many people don't have them. But that doesn't mean that Tokyo is pollution free and a blissful place to live.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   

My god man, every time you post you are just reinforcing not yours, but our arguments!

As much as I like to watch people digging holes - this is getting a little squeamish even for me.
edit on 2/12/2010 by Kryties because: grammatical error

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by SkurkNilsen

Are you trying to prove my point?? First of all, gross national income per capita has nothing to do with standard of living. It's simply gross national income divided by the population. And I don't see a major European country above the US (Switzerland is not a member of the EU, and Isle of Man, Luxembourg, etc don't really count).

For your other list, it has the US at #4, straight from the UN source:

hdr.undp.org...

From your list there was also an additional inequality adjustment made, putting the US at #14, above France, Austria, Spain, and the UK.

Everything you posted supports my statement that Europe does not have a higher standard of living than the US.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 12:37 PM
link   

No, you don't have the best transport system in the world - Japan does. Their high speed rails and train network is really a wonder of the world. Public transport is a function of the population density of the city and necessity. Tokyo is a very bad place to try and get around by car, so many people don't have them. But that doesn't mean that Tokyo is pollution free and a blissful place to live.

Ignoring the fact that Europe's linked high speed rail is just as good.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 12:37 PM
link   

OK, lets go by your link. By your link Australia and New Zealand are far better than the U.S.

Excellent. Now can you please stop claiming that the U.S. is "Number 1"?

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19  20 >>

join