It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

...then you MUST be an Atheist!!! *aka the Pork Chop Fallacy*

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 09:53 PM
link   
In my two plus years here on ATS, I have been involved in many a discussion/debate on religious and spiritual topics. I have come to notice a technique used by the Christians here that I thought I would take this opportunity to point out. This technique is to call anyone who is not in full agreement with their position an Atheist. If you don't believe in their Sky God who sits on a throne behind pearly gates, you're an Atheist. If you accept Evolution, you're an Atheist. If you don't want prayer in school, you're an Atheist. If you believe in the separation of Church and State, you're an Atheist. Now mind you that I am not now, nor have I ever been an Atheist, but since I believe in the seperation of Church and State, and I accept Evolution, and I do not believe in the Christian/Muslim/Jewish God, I have been called an Atheist on more occasions here than I can count.

So I am going to call this fallacy The Pork Chop Fallacy, as it is akin to saying that if you don't like pork chops, you MUST be a vegan! So Christians, in the future if I accuse you of using the PCF, you will know what I mean...

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Actually I like that. Maybe I'll use this term too.

But we can apply it to anything.

Like "Oh you don't believe in this one conspiracy theory- you're a debunker agent".

Or the reverse "Oh you believe in this one conspiracy theory- you're a blind believer".

The Pork Chop Fallacy can go all kinds of places. It's a double edged sword. A two way street.

Good post Jax.
edit on 30-11-2010 by muzzleflash because: spelling

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by JaxonRoberts

Stop being such an atheist.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by JaxonRoberts
In my two plus years here on ATS, I have been involved in many a discussion/debate on religious and spiritual topics. I have come to notice a technique used by the Christians here that I thought I would take this opportunity to point out. This technique is to call anyone who is not in full agreement with their position an Atheist. If you don't believe in their Sky God who sits on a throne behind pearly gates, you're an Atheist. If you accept Evolution, you're an Atheist. If you don't want prayer in school, you're an Atheist. If you believe in the separation of Church and State, you're an Atheist. Now mind you that I am not now, nor have I ever been an Atheist, but since I believe in the seperation of Church and State, and I accept Evolution, and I do not believe in the Christian/Muslim/Jewish God, I have been called an Atheist on more occasions here than I can count.

So I am going to call this fallacy The Pork Chop Fallacy, as it is akin to saying that if you don't like pork chops, you MUST be a vegan! So Christians, in the future if I accuse you of using the PCF, you will know what I mean...

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 10:08 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 10:08 PM
link   
If you dont believe in a jewish zombie.....

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/bd4ef11f36c6.jpg[/atsimg]

Yep, Im going to hell
edit on 30/11/2010 by OzWeatherman because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 10:09 PM
link   
well im jewish , i dont eat pork chops
and if your a vegetarian you dont eat animals at all

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 10:10 PM
link   
"technique used by the Christians"

a) not all christians share the same view

b) you should rephrase it to "some of the christians i've talked to have....." etc etc

c) No i am not a christian

d) No i don't subscribe to any religions

c) No i don't have any hidden agenda's

d) Why does any tom dick and harry think he can just make a post with the first silly thought in his head?

e) when he does make the post why put all eggs in one basket?

f) Why did i click this thread if i could careless? Because every time i give benefit of the doubt to people with threads that sure stupid headline but im sure there content will have merit. But here i am in another disappointing thread.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
no you're not an atheist you're an idiot because you believe all the propaganda those devil worshipers put out thru the media.

And this Ladies and Gentlemen is a prime example of both an Ad Hominem and a Straw Man Fallacy...

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   
And as for Creationists....

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/12f799e72c57.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by seedofchucky
"technique used by the Christians"

a) not all christians share the same view

b) you should rephrase it to "some of the christians i've talked to have....." etc etc

c) No i am not a christian

d) No i don't subscribe to any religions

c) No i don't have any hidden agenda's

d) Why does any tom dick and harry think he can just make a post with the first silly thought in his head?

e) when he does make the post why put all eggs in one basket?

f) Why did i click this thread if i could careless? Because every time i give benefit of the doubt to people with threads that sure stupid headline but im sure there content will have merit. But here i am in another disappointing thread.

And then I'm expected to eat crap for a member who lacks the ability to write a non-disappointing thread... Nice use of the Ad Hominem though!

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by wtbengineer

This is a very good post. I am a Christian, but not like most people think a Christian is supposed to be in the world these days. At least I think like a lot of young people in the latest Christian movements believe you have to be. I really don't adhere to any kind of man made dogma, but I still basically believe in what is in the Bible, maybe not all taken as literal truth. Maybe some allegory, maybe some tongue in cheek, I don't know. But there is much truth there. I just think that most people pervert what has been written and stray from the spirit of it. People do that, because we are all basically selfish and stupid.

this got screwed up... somehow I'm replying to myself....
edit on 30-11-2010 by wtbengineer because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

Yeah Oz, you're going to hell. Just kidding. Well, I can't really say but I can say that that last post was really wrong. I say this with tongue in cheek...

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 10:25 PM
link   

"Nice use of the Ad Hominem though!"

I wasted my bandwidth to come back to this thread , for such a high school reply? You had nothing of substance to add? Im not sure if i 'm sorry for you or for me for coming back.......but surly waste of a mouse click =/

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by seedofchucky

I'm sorry, were you under the impression that you added anything of substance in the first place??? No, what you did was troll yet another thread... And now you have TWO Ad Hominem posts...

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by JaxonRoberts

...oh, okay... when i read the thread title, i thought this was gonna be about ugly people... ya know the old saying - "he was SO ugly, his mama had to hang a pork chop around his neck to get the dog to play with him"... guess it could apply to your deal too, since another old saying is "beauty is skin deep - ugly goes all the way to the bone"...

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 03:05 AM
link   
So it’s a double hit for me?

I dislike pork chops yet I am not a vegan. I believe in evolution, separation of church and state, I am Agnostic towards an Abrahamic god, yet I am not an Atheist either.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 03:09 AM
link   
I thought this was going to be about that George Carlin book When Will Jesus Bring the Pork Chops. I see that it's not. Still, a good read, though. I agree, I've had people say the same thing to me. That, or tell me I'm going to hell. Oh well, if they're not going to be there, it must be a great place to be.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Good post, Jax.
Of course, there is nothing wrong with being an atheist. Some of my best friends are atheists.
But I'm of the firm belief that the person himself gets to describe himself, not anyone else. What everyone else thinks is irrelevant.

So... are you telling us that you're a vegan?
(jk)

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Yep, atheism means only one thing: you do not accept claims of god(s), not even one.

I like this term, but I do love pork chop. I do hate it when I see "evolutionist/atheist" written because it demeans science to tie it to a none scientific issue.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join