It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can China Invade Taiwan?

page: 93
<< 90  91  92    94  95  96 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2005 @ 10:49 AM
link   
The thing is, Chen wants independence, but does not want to be left out of cross-straits relations, and right now, China is talking to Lien, and leaving Chen out.

posted on May, 13 2005 @ 08:05 PM
link   
well apparently the KMT pan group has a slight majority over Chen's group (Chen doesn't get everything he wants and it gets really frustrating for him). Taiwan won't declare independance and maybe in 4 years, Lian's gonna be president of Taiwan and things are gonna get a lot better. In another few years, Taiwan would be back without a bullet fired. (they won't ever fire, if you don't know why, read the Taiwan posts, in the start, it was only a very slight chance and now its even more miniscule.)

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 02:19 AM
link   
hehehe...if Lien is going to run for president again, I am really going to think that he is one wierd guy. I think he is already 60 something and he lost elections twice already. Why would anyone want to be president so badly is just beyond my imagination.

Oh yea, and don't forget President Chen's party DPP is still the majority party in the Legislative Yuan, although it seems the pan blue camp keeps bugging the process in the Legislative Yuan down, including the special budget for weapon purchases from US. Pan green and pan blue are now trying to negotiate and attempt to cooperate so they can actually get the Legislative Yuan "running".

[edit on 14-5-2005 by twchang]

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 05:01 AM
link   
I doubt Lien will run again.

王,马 (Wong, Ma) will run, it would be interesting to see who's President and Who's Vice.

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 05:06 AM
link   
I really don't think Chen will win again. He won the elections narrowly the last time, I think it was thanks to the "assasination" attempt and he got more votes because he got shot. Chen is not talking to China, so people who are trying to avoid war will not also vote for him.

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by W4rl0rD
I really don't think Chen will win again. He won the elections narrowly the last time, I think it was thanks to the "assasination" attempt and he got more votes because he got shot. Chen is not talking to China, so people who are trying to avoid war will not also vote for him.

Update, National Assembly Elections (300 seats)

DPP: 127
KMT: 117
TSU: 21
PFP: 18

Interesting, turnout was 23%, it was plagued by disinterest and rain. 23%, that's got to be the lowest i've ever heard a election vote %.

Chen can't run again, Taiwan uses 2 terms George Washington style elections.

[edit on 14-5-2005 by rapier28]

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
THis is a classic propaganda ploy. Meet with a minority opposition group and make grand statements. It puts the ruling party on the defensive and in a position to have to react to seemingly inoculous statements.

In this case, there are Majority Opposition. Taiwan is currently a "Minority Government" in the Legislature.

Why even bring up Hong Kong, HK and Macau are nothing like Taiwan and even if Taiwan is reunited, it would not be "one country, two systems". It will most likely be a federation, a loose one at that.

Hong Kong and Macau were both "leases" by the Qing or ROC governments to foreign colonial aggressors prior to the Communist PRC in 1949. There leases were up, and they were returned.

End of story.

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Ok... I'm not exactly a genius with politics. I think the main question is will Chen try to go for Independence before his term ends? After Chen is gone, I am sure that the suceeding president will probably opt for reunification.

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by W4rl0rD
Ok... I'm not exactly a genius with politics. I think the main question is will Chen try to go for Independence before his term ends? After Chen is gone, I am sure that the suceeding president will probably opt for reunification.

Don't bet on it, the situation is complicated.

I doubt the following DPP candidate would abandon the path of independence. China has difficulties rejoining with Taiwan for 1 main reason and several other smaller ones.

The one main reason is that foreign powers hate that idea and will do anything possible to stop it happening. Even if China was Democratic right now, they simply do not want China to become stronger.

The DPP government in Taiwan has run a very effective 8 year campaign to de-sinonize Taiwan, removing all traces of Chinese culture and heritage, even language. This is dispite majority of the Island being Ethnic Chinese (98%) and most hail from Fujian province in China.

[edit on 14-5-2005 by rapier28]

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 03:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by CoMrAdE_IvAn
Then the invasion of Taiwan would cost china so much. China needs to hit them hard and fast and capture the island ASAP before the americans could get involved. That way they have a grip on the island if the americans attack.

We have military assets all around Taiwan. They could not get the grip on Taiwan as you suggest.

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 03:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp
ah you never did west point but if the US were to use SK bases against china then NK would attack SK to help the chinese. it would be an excellent exscuse for them to attack SK, and with the combined might of NK and china amercas forces would be overwhelmed.

We wouldnt use South Korean bases, too far away. We have Okinawa, which is a hell of alot closer, and our old bases in the Phillipinnes (sp?). Plus, Thailand is a great ally of ours, and they would volunteer the use of thier bases for staging and what-not.

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 03:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Justicer
WestPoint,you are too proud of your troops.You say America can bomb china,why can't china give terrorist some SPECIAL weapon to attack America?Why America still not attack N.K.,because they have SPECIAL weapons.America can only bear low-loss wars.

[edit on 26-8-2004 by Justicer]

Well, thats because the Chinese and Soviets exploited Vietnam to contiune fighting us. They kept the flow of arms comming, and those little bastards didnt stop. And Im convinced the Chinese are just loving this terrorist problem, since it takes alot of focus off thier jacked up country.

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 03:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jazzerman
Interesting topic...

I had a Chinese roomate during my Jr. year in college and we visited a lot about this type of situation. One thing he and nearly 20 other Chinese students that I got to know quite well told me was "China has never shown aggression toward another people, it has only responded to their attacks". I found it very interesting that not a single one of them believed that their country had ever done anything wrong.

Consider the Boxer Rebellion in 1903, the Korean War, and numerous skirmishes with Indian and the Soviets. The Chinese people are long lived, but they have attacked others before.

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 03:42 AM
link   

China is the only country claiming sovereignty over areas long ago lost to some first dynasty empire. Do you deny this, look at what haoppened in Tibet.
In Lhassa, you drained the sacred lake paved it in concrete and used it as a military parade ground.

Can anyone say sore looser?

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 03:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by WissNX01

China is the only country claiming sovereignty over areas long ago lost to some first dynasty empire. Do you deny this, look at what haoppened in Tibet.
In Lhassa, you drained the sacred lake paved it in concrete and used it as a military parade ground.

So basically your saying might is right. If you can subjugate a people then its ok ?
Seriously you seem to have a problem.

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 03:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by rogue1

So basically your saying might is right. If you can subjugate a people then its ok ?
Seriously you seem to have a problem.

China has lost and gained territory over the thousands of years of history, yet they seem to think they still own them. They are sore loosers, and has nothing to do with the might of anyone specifically. And if anyone is subjugating anyone, its the Chinese over thier oppressed people.

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 05:45 AM
link   
LOL, at least China has a claim on it's territories unlike some countries i can think of that only has a claim to the British isles. Don't worry, i'am sure if all youse pray hard enough, aliens will come down and destroy the Chinese and you will be all Happy.

Seriousely, i don't really want to get into a argument but the amount China-bashing on these threads is quite amazing.

I guess China should take it as a complement.

You know what they say, "any publicity is good publicity".

[edit on 15-5-2005 by rapier28]

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by rapier28
Why even bring up Hong Kong, HK and Macau are nothing like Taiwan and even if Taiwan is reunited, it would not be "one country, two systems". It will most likely be a federation, a loose one at that.

Why bring them up? They are recent examples of how the communist government says one thing and brings about another. The Taiwanese people grow less and less Chinese as each day of independance for thier country goes by.

Look again at the protests for democracy in HK etc. Now you have a good idea what the Politburo has in mind for the island nation. If the communist leadership had even payed lip service to the democratic values that HK had, It would help them convince Taiwan. Instead we get Tienneman Light.

They shot themselves in the foot on that one.

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 03:30 AM
link   

We wouldnt use South Korean bases, too far away. We have Okinawa, which is a hell of alot closer, and our old bases in the Phillipinnes (sp?). Plus, Thailand is a great ally of ours, and they would volunteer the use of thier bases for staging and what-not.

Plus Guam, Wake, etc etc...... Yeah I can see the SK troops staying put in case old Kim gets frisky which he may if the orders from Bejing come. But if he were to pop off a nuclear weapon on US troops, I have no doubt that the blane would be placed at China's feet.

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 03:49 AM
link   

Thailand is a great ally of ours, and they would volunteer the use of thier bases for staging and what-not.

would volunteer?????

they only lent it to you because the thai government was scared that communism might engulf thailand to. the domino effect..

they charged a lot for those b-52 rounds

new topics

top topics

<< 90  91  92    94  95  96 >>

join