It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can China Invade Taiwan?

page: 74
<< 71  72  73    75  76  77 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Lets try to stay on topic eh?

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 01:21 AM
link   
Woah i replied to this thread when it was like 12 pages ONLY now look 74 pages,,anyway i will stick to my original stance and say that China is just greedy for land, if China did invade Taiwan it would ruin its infrastructure afterall Taiwan is miles ahead in technology.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 03:33 PM
link   
hmmmmmmmmm ok w/e you say about the satelites, but id bet either way the U.S is keeping a close eye on things there, and about the stem cell research comment, im not sure what you meant by it, but i am pro-stem cell research i dont think religious beliefs should impede on scientific advancement of the whole country (im not a fan of organized religion..BUT im NOT an atheist either) but none of that has anything to do with the topic at hand!
anyway although Taiwan is rightfully part of China, with all the time thats passed, i dont think that it would be civilized for China to just stomp in, and i think that its the rest of our rite to defend the taiwanense...unless of course they want to become one with China again-which i dont think they do. anyway new question: do you think that U.S intervention would be met with threats and/or a nuclear response from China??????

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 05:36 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure the US doesn't think China has any right to attack. They keep strengthening their hand in that area. There might be a nuclear exchange in the future, and why not?

Afterall, I live in Ohio in a bunker. Who me worry? Not one bit.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 06:09 PM
link   
It seems like china's millitary modernisations and buildup is happening faster than anyone dared predict

www.washingtontimes.com...

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Blah blah blah China will become a power, yes, but it'll be awhile before they turn into a superpower. The imporant thing is to just keep an eye on them.

Buying a Formula 1 race car doesn't mean you can go out and win races immediately.

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by imAMERICAN
hmmmmmmmmm ok w/e you say about the satelites, but id bet either way the U.S is keeping a close eye on things there, and about the stem cell research comment, im not sure what you meant by it, but i am pro-stem cell research i dont think religious beliefs should impede on scientific advancement of the whole country (im not a fan of organized religion..BUT im NOT an atheist either) but none of that has anything to do with the topic at hand!
anyway although Taiwan is rightfully part of China, with all the time thats passed, i dont think that it would be civilized for China to just stomp in, and i think that its the rest of our rite to defend the taiwanense...unless of course they want to become one with China again-which i dont think they do. anyway new question: do you think that U.S intervention would be met with threats and/or a nuclear response from China??????

Check many many previous posts about the right of Chinese and the right of so called "taiwanese" for independence.

It is very old thread, so would not like to repeat many arguments again and again. Just want to point two things:

Texas rednecks never been allowed to declare their own villages as "independence countries", in fact, from 1960s to 1990s, many severe crackdown from US government, so there is absolutely NOOOO room for you to comment on why Chinese need to keep the land integraty or not. Besides, I dont believe any political groups who support seperation of USA is legal. Now if I say Chinese government is going to defend those texas redneck's freedom, I am wondering what you are going to say.

Second, Bush's second term is to completely reform the domestic social seurity issue, that will lead huge huge huge financial hole-------the only only chance to pass by that hole safely is to expect China and Japan buy more US bonds so US dollars can keep the value---------check today's editorial review from wall street journal. So, don't even think about the chance of conflicts between China and US in next four years.

[edit on 19-1-2005 by proteinx]

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Hi everyone ,I am a chinese,First of all i think so-call "can china Invade taiwan" of topic is not represent the real chinese purpose .Taiwanese also
is chinese with culture and tradition as same as people who live in mainland. so chinese never attact chinese, whoever want to divid China into two different nation is chinese attack finally target.
i am sure chinese love peace for ever.

[edit on 19-1-2005 by bobic00]

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 07:35 AM
link   
I think I understood what bobic was saying(though it took some time! :wow
...He meant..Taiwan and Mainland China will finally team up and attack the U.S of A...

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I think Bobic00
was trying to say that China would not physcially attack Taiwan as they would see it as killing other Chinese but they would attack anyone who tried to formally split Taiwan away from China.

But I want to throw this out:

Since when was any government in the entire long history of China ever been shy about killing Chinese people when it suited its purposes???

Given that I think this whole thing boils down to economics and a battle for the minds of the Taiwanese people. Military force (which is not the same as invasion) is not the preferred option. It will be used against foreign intervention or an overt move to declare Taiwan wholely independent.

Some background;
In Taiwan, there is a debate now as to just how much a part of China, Taiwan is. One group says it is without question part of China and they want "eventual" unification (but maybe not now). Another group says that Taiwan basically has a local variant of Chinese culture but it doesn't necessarily have to be part of China (but could consider it). A third group argues that Taiwan is culturally and ethnically distinct from China, with important Chinese elements for sure, but its own identity.

95%+ of the people there do not like the Beijing government. In fact, I have not met even one person there who had any good words for the crew in Beijing. If China was anything like an open society politically speaking, unification would have a lot more support. Even the one country/two systems approach used in Hong Kong is viewed with suspicion but there are some who would be willing to risk it.

Ethnically speaking, Taiwan is
- about 20% Chinese people who came from the mainland after 1949. This group speaks a form of Mandarin similar to that on the mainland. This group was politically dominant for a long time.
- about 75% Taiwanese Chinese who came to Taiwan in the 1600s. This group speaks a local form of chinese.
- less than 5% of various indigineous people who are not ethnically Chinese being more closely related to certain peoples on Western Pacific Islands and the Philipines. They have their own languages. The present goverment in Taipei loves to promote these people and their culture.

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Some background;
In Taiwan, there is a debate now as to just how much a part of China, Taiwan is. One group says it is without question part of China and they want "eventual" unification (but maybe not now). Another group says that Taiwan basically has a local variant of Chinese culture but it doesn't necessarily have to be part of China (but could consider it). A third group argues that Taiwan is culturally and ethnically distinct from China, with important Chinese elements for sure, but its own identity.

95%+ of the people there do not like the Beijing government. In fact, I have not met even one person there who had any good words for the crew in Beijing. If China was anything like an open society politically speaking, unification would have a lot more support. Even the one country/two systems approach used in Hong Kong is viewed with suspicion but there are some who would be willing to risk it.

Ethnically speaking, Taiwan is
- about 20% Chinese people who came from the mainland after 1949. This group speaks a form of Mandarin similar to that on the mainland. This group was politically dominant for a long time.
- about 75% Taiwanese Chinese who came to Taiwan in the 1600s. This group speaks a local form of chinese.
- less than 5% of various indigineous people who are not ethnically Chinese being more closely related to certain peoples on Western Pacific Islands and the Philipines. They have their own languages. The present goverment in Taipei loves to promote these people and their culture.

Very nice post again, and frankly speaking, it is very accurate discription too.

Taiwan issue is damn hard for Chinese government. But you know what, just as you said, in the long China history, Chinese in fact never hesitatet to slaughter Chinese. That is the nature.......sadly, but it is true------------we replicate ourselves too fast. But it is also very good, we evolve much faster than other race.

So, consider the future, no Chinese in mainland eager to reunite with Taiwan at all, if you ask anybody in the street in China, I dont see anybody has such strong will to do it now. However, if you ask anybody in the street whether will let taiwan be independent, oh, the holy hell, 80% percent would say kill all of them if necessary to keep the land belongs to China. I would say, send a ship over there move all Chinese back to Mainland, and nuke the hell of that island, make it permenant military base.

Aha, nuke exchange with America?
50 years later, the world will only be Chinese. Why? we reproduce ourselves faster than you guys.

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 04:37 PM
link   
I thought you would agree with that.

Watch out, India is catching up to you in numbers.

Also, what will the Chinese government do about the millions of people in China who live in grinding poverty or underemployment. You know what I mean. Sitting in a cold stall in a market or a shop waiting for a handful of low profit sales a day is not much of a life. Nor is going back to an apartment with bad plumbing and little heat. The Chinese government must be freaking out figuring out what to do with those hundreds of millions of people. Thank god the price of rice and vegetables is cheap. If that frustration was ever mobilized against them...

As you said, the Taiwan issue is a damn hard one for China. Who needs it in the face of all the other challenges they face?

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by revengeogmakhno
As you said, the Taiwan issue is a damn hard one for China. Who needs it in the face of all the other challenges they face?

exactly point, so called the "taiwanese" who eager to declare independence is to send bulluts to CCP to get themselves get killed as soon as possible.

As Chinese, I donot like CCP, but I am not mad about CCP to do that at all, in fact, I am pretty glad to see that.

It is just quite amusing for those taiwanese

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 06:23 PM
link   
first of all, i respect your opinion ok?

your entitled to it. but let me just explain my point of view:

how many years has Taiwan been separate...China should have did something about them back when the civil war ended if they wanted it back so badly-

i mean they drove them to that island, they could have done something-anyway-...right now i dont consider Taiwan to be part of China...

it would be like if the South won the civil war in America...and was separate as the CSA, and there was peace-- for 50 + years. then say in like 1940 (ignoring ww2), the North decides to go to war again for NO reason

yeah im an american, but i would styl think it would be wrong for the north to attack the south after all this time of peace... (and i live in NYC by the way incase you think im some hick in South Carolina...) thats all im saying...

unless ofcourse, taiwan wants to become part of China again...

this topic isnt about why China will invade-its IF it could, and how that would effect other nations..

now i dont post here to have arguments over this. only inteligent convo inregard to the topic at hand.

[edit on 20-1-2005 by imAMERICAN]

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 05:13 AM
link   
I think people are missing the real point. It comes down to numbers. China has more, a #load more. I believe that if China wanted to it would invade Taiwan.......and watch the US stand back. If there is one country the US wouldnt want to piss off its China. I believe that Robin Williams had a very unscientific but astute view of China (in partitcular their nuclear weapons) "....and what would they do in China? Have One Billion poeple go "BOOM"?"

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 05:29 AM
link   
IMHO China will find it extremely difficult to hold taiwan, for long if it takes it over forcefully..but its possible nonetheless,..depends on the current US policy on human lives at stakes, how many troops its willing to let go of etc etc...
Also IMO US cannot successsfully maintain a campaign against mainland china..but it can slowly bleed the chinese coast, by long range conventional strikes...as long as the conflict stays conventional, and if the US bleeds china just right(not too little/not too much)..then they can keep the conflict conventional..
In such a case the longer the conflict convemtional prolongs, the weaker china gets, and the battle sways in favour of the US..

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 08:13 PM
link   
thats an interesting thought-but then imagine if the amazing U.N sanctions Chinas ass, (never happen tho, just a hope) and the U.S blockades China-if the conflict and thats a HUGE IF, if it stays conventional, with us troops not on mainland, the usa could "bleed China white"...

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 03:47 PM
link   
It is difficult to assume a natural outright victor in this power slog, but what can be assumed is that China does NOT NEED Taiwan. They are a powerful force: one of the 5 Tigers on the Pacific Rim, they have been accredited for the rapid growth that the economy has accrued, while Taiwan make my trousers. I can assume in addition this long stubborn game of soldiers would be dubbed "World War Three" and many countries casually joining in. The 13th/14th page notes a duty/obligation under The Treaty of the United States and Taiwan, and this would draw in groups to follow suit. I dont want to suppose a war could take place, but, even being 10,000 miles away, I can sense the tension between the Oriental states.

This laughable situation reminds me of the events sorrounding King Louis XIV of France at the time of the Triple Alliance (1688)..... "I have a responsibility to receive this land because it is mine (NO IT ISNT) and i am reluctant to take it.... but meh well I will take it anyway."

[edit on 28-1-2005 by master_kris]

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Well I thought I'd add this interesting development, hopefully this is another positive step in the right direction.Times might be changing after all.

Direct Flights between China and Taiwan Take Off for First Time in 56 Years

Nonstop flights between China and Taiwan took off Saturday for the first time in more than half a century as part of a temporary plan to ease tensions across the Taiwan Strait.

Direct Flights between China and Taiwan Take Off for First Time in 56 Years

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 01:41 AM
link   
those charter flights were on a temporary basis..for three weeks..though if they catch on well with the public they could be made more permanent

new topics

top topics

<< 71  72  73    75  76  77 >>

join