It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can China Invade Taiwan?

page: 71
<< 68  69  70    72  73  74 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2004 @ 07:26 PM
link   
in a nuclear exchange... the world would end... it's that simple

8-10 thousand missiles is easily enough to decimate the planet.

I estimate that it would take less than 2k missiles detonated to ruin our earth

posted on Dec, 24 2004 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Well thats that... One should know that china has a limited amount so if we are lucky we stop theirs en-rout and give them a thank you gift consisting of ~50 or so...

But whatever I hope it all works out for the best; will someone please thing of the children?

posted on Dec, 24 2004 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Agreed. No country is going to start launchin nukes around, due to the fact if you do it the rest of the civilised world is going to start launching nukes at you that simple, and no country wants to get nuked so they aint going to take the risk

posted on Dec, 24 2004 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Ah, You don't have to worry about that as long as we let Bush steal trillions of dollars. He won't let that happen as long as he gets his money.

posted on Dec, 24 2004 @ 07:40 PM
link   
The sub launched version of the DF-31 is called JL-2 and that missile when launched from Chinese sea can cover two thirds of America under its target range and yes, it is equipped with MIRVs (classified but analysis states around 3-6). Plus DF-31 has been under construction since 1993, JL-2 is much new with much more advance technology but its based on the same chassis and basic design.

A even more advanced DF-41 is under R&D with capabilities caparable to the destroyed Peace Keepers meaning it'll have a range of 14000 kilometers and able to carry 10-14 MIRVs with a accuracy of less than 150 meters.

[edit on 24-12-2004 by COWlan]

posted on Dec, 24 2004 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Already know about the DF-41...

posted on Dec, 24 2004 @ 07:51 PM
link   
The title of this thread should really read Can not Will. Everyone with of an once of brains know they can. The real question is will they? Think about it, what do they have to gain? More land of course they can take that no doubt in my mind, but what advantage would it give them? Very little if you ask me.

If they did invade many American companies might move out. Also the government would place sactions on China.

Wha hooo no trade with USA means big bucks to China and they do not want to loose those bucks.They also need the Iron ore from MN they need so bad to make products. China will not invade, it is not in their best interests. If no one buys products from them, where will they be then?

posted on Dec, 24 2004 @ 07:57 PM
link   
No they cannot; if China tried to invade, they'd have to face the coastal defenses of Taiwan (i.e lots of dead soldiers) and the Taiwanese air force; give them another 10 years and yes, they probably could.

I agree though on your view of will they.

posted on Dec, 25 2004 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Indeed...if Taiwan's military does not upgrade their equipments and reform military structure fast enough, the balance will be tilt.

posted on Dec, 25 2004 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Well Taiwan is trying to purchase the AEGIS ships from the United States, but we won't sell them right now, supposedly, "unless Taiwan really needs them" I think is like the official statement.

posted on Dec, 25 2004 @ 10:41 PM
link   
You guys' knowledge of weaponry are quite impressive, but your knowledge of the socio-economic status of China among others are a bit lacking. Let's cut to the topic:

Can China invade Taiwan right now? Yes, but not without heavy losses. Losses as in:

1)heavy human losses on both sides, which the Chinese government and even to some degree the Chinese people(it's a cultural thing, if you're interested in knowing I will explain, but I won't expound now) could care less.
2)heavy damage to Taiwan, which makes the spoils of the war much less valuable.

And because of those 2 points, China will NOT invade Taiwan in at LEAST the next 10 years unless forced to do so.

What I mean being "forced" is Taiwan declaring independence. Then, it becomes a matter of pride instead of practicality. And when I say pride, I don't mean a bunch of hot-headed Chinese officials--those people could care less--but a well calculated use of nationalism to silence the criticism of the government's other shortcomings. You guys all realize very well that China has significant social problems, and one of the best ways the government silences them is by imploring national pride. If China were to lose face by letting Taiwan declare independence without responding, they would face a huge backlash from the civilian populations, who will also begin to question loudly other faults in the system. That would be a seed for revolution, and the Chinese government cannot afford to let that happen.

So you see, the Chinese insistence on unifying China is not really as much a matter of Chinese "aggression" as some of you make.

posted on Dec, 25 2004 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Oh, btw, why do some of you guys cite the vast differential b/w the Chinese nuclear arsenal and the American nuclear arsenal as if it actually matters?

1)The Chinese never intended to destroy the U.S. with its arsenal, it's used as a deterrence. It's like a fight, you can kill me, but I can blind you. Of course, killing is much more damaging than blinding, but the fact that I can damage you quite a bit too will prevent you from trying to kill me unless absolutely necessary.

2)What makes you think the Chinese have to hit the U.S. with their weapons in order to have them be effective? What if the Chinese nuke the North and the South pole and melt the entire icecaps? That would probably be as effective as any weapon in eliminating the U.S. coasts. Or, instead of trying to make reliable missiles, they just make tons of thermonukes, bury them underground and detonate them at the same time, maybe it'll cause enough permanent dmg to the planet to cause significant problems to everyone for eons then on. After all, in a nuclear war, China would be completely destroyed by the U.S. anyway, so what does it matter to them? Remember EVERY country has a weakness in that it is located on the planet Earth.

posted on Dec, 25 2004 @ 11:21 PM
link   
^ You make some pretty good points along the lines of what other people have said on the subject that know about the matters at hand...

About china actually gaining anything from invading Taiwan, I dont think so. They would basically be shutting off what little economic action they have with the world and many businesses would bail out of Taiwan...

Also, it would take many more nukes than china has in its arsenal to do any significant damage to the North and South poles.

None the less, we are economically tied to china so it would be best for them to ease up on their militaristic stances and we should all work together, though, if it ever came to it we dont have to rely on china.

posted on Dec, 25 2004 @ 11:45 PM
link   
As I pointed out above about the Chinese motives for a unified China, it is more for self-preservation than militaristic aggression. They need to be the "tough guy" in order to shift the nation's attention away from other glaring social problems(though I do believe those social problems are just one phase of a major country's development, providing that no war breaks it up).

Also, of course they do need more nukes in their arsenal to nuke the poles, but all they have to do is to is making them since delivering them will not be hard. And that would be a rather easy task, since the one thing the Chinese can do is mass-production, especially when the product doesn't even have to be very reliable(if a couple thousand doesn't blow up, at least 20 thousand more will right?).

posted on Dec, 26 2004 @ 12:06 AM
link   
To me,China CAN invade Taiwan but it WILL not invade simply because there is nothing to gain unless Taiwan gets independence from China,then China will invade for pride reasons.

posted on Dec, 26 2004 @ 12:45 AM
link   
China will invade and take over Taiwan. Currently they are filing legal procedings with the U.N., stating their claim to their former holding. This will form the basis for a legal invasion of that country. Being that it is legal & not condemened by the U.N, the world will let it happen, including the U.S.

posted on Dec, 26 2004 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Knightmare
Being that it is legal & not condemened by the U.N, the world will let it happen, including the U.S.

That will never pass as long as the US is on the security council.

There is no legal basis China's claim other than China Saying, "I want it,I want it Bad, I want it NOW ohhh booo hooo hooo Why won't you give me Taiwan?"

I take it you haven't read this thread at all.

posted on Dec, 26 2004 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by dingyibvs

2 What if the Chinese nuke the North and the South pole and melt the entire icecaps? That would probably be as effective as any weapon in eliminating the U.S. coasts.

Sorry the Chinese probably can't reach the South or North pole and even if they could it would only have a very temporary effect, as you understand nothing about climate, the poles would immediately refreeze.

posted on Dec, 26 2004 @ 08:56 AM
link   
i read the threadf topic, i know the facts. LMAO @ the U.S. stopping it. China cancelled major debt for us to them. Why do you think since Clinton we have given them a free run on anything they want. I guess you think Johnny Chang( or whoever), ripped off a hard drive and all our military secrets with it? We sold most of what they have to them. We always sell our technology & weapons, then develop more. It is the American way.

Originally posted by bodebliss

Being that it is legal & not condemened by the U.N, the world will let it happen, including the U.S.

That will never pass as long as the US is on the security council.

There is no legal basis China's claim other than China Saying, "I want it,I want it Bad, I want it NOW ohhh booo hooo hooo Why won't you give me Taiwan?"

I take it you haven't read this thread at all.

posted on Dec, 26 2004 @ 09:52 AM
link   

i read the threadf topic, i know the facts. LMAO @ the U.S. stopping it. China cancelled major debt for us to them. Why do you think since Clinton we have given them a free run on anything they want. I guess you think Johnny Chang( or whoever), ripped off a hard drive and all our military secrets with it? We sold most of what they have to them. We always sell our technology & weapons, then develop more. It is the American way.

I read the title of my favorite breakfast cereal this morn. Does that make me an expert on oats production.

What major debt was that?

There's no proof on the johny Chang thing, just conjecture. That's why they dropped it.

Your idea on the supposed american-chinese tech transfer thingy makes you live up to your name , I'd say. It's Nightmare , isn't it?

Bode

new topics

top topics

<< 68  69  70    72  73  74 >>

join