It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can China Invade Taiwan?

page: 69
<< 66  67  68    70  71  72 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 12:35 AM
link   
How many soldiers do you think China will need to mobilize initially (not counting full scale occupation)... to mount a succesfull invasion of Taiwan?

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Hmm....say 20,000? Or a LOT more if the americans move in

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 12:44 AM
link   
It took 120,000 US and british troops invading by land to take iraq.

Iraq was a lot less heavily defended than the island fortress of Taiwan

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 01:05 AM
link   
whoops,meant 200,000

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 01:26 AM
link   
China could never even hope to land 200,000 troops in Taiwan. They simply don't have the resources.

The invasion force would be fairly small, only about 20,000 troops, against about 200,000 spread across the island.

It would never even get that far if China couldn't get air superiority, as well as form a naval blockade of Taiwan before American forces arrived.

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 01:42 AM
link   
Well China's supposed goal is to be able to retake Taiwan by 2020 or something like that, so everyone will have to wait and see.

Air superiority would be a big factor though, without air superiority, you can't do anything.

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 01:49 AM
link   
China has air superiority IMHO,those SUs could take on their F-16s.

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 02:01 AM
link   
I dunno, those Su's don't have the avionics in them that the F-16s have, and the Taiwan pilots have superior training (they were trained by the U.S. Air Force).

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 02:16 AM
link   
I'm sure they'll have that unmanned supersonic fighter that actually can fight at supersonic speed by then, 25G turns, firring cannon and missiles at 2000 mph. No mere mortal chinee pilot will be able to combat that. They will need super chinese pilots for those missions. Kamikazee chinese pilots.

Probably unmanned sub hunters as well.

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 02:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Broadsword20068
I dunno, those Su's don't have the avionics in them that the F-16s have, and the Taiwan pilots have superior training (they were trained by the U.S. Air Force).

They, along with the j-10's are kitted out with a replica of advanced Italian radar so they are more than a match in BVR for any f-16

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 02:28 AM
link   
Nowadays all those spoilt pilots have to do is click a button and launch a missle,then all is done. There is not much need for training,just a little bit you you know which is the fire button and which is the eject button

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 02:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by W4rl0rD
China has air superiority IMHO,those SUs could take on their F-16s.

Hmmm, without US intervention, there is no one on this exhastivly long thread that would say Taiwan could win, however, if the PLAAF (what a name) wants to send its SU-27's and 30's to play in or around taiwan they will have quite a surprise. Remeber that taiwan has AWACS and close in the PLAAF will have to deal with sams. China will win, but wish they nver crossed the straight. At lease the families of all the dead PLA soilders will

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 02:54 AM
link   
China has cruise missles which can take out those SAMs you know,just as long as they are not nuclear tipped it would be useful against SAMs.

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 03:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by W4rl0rD
China has cruise missles which can take out those SAMs you know,just as long as they are not nuclear tipped it would be useful against SAMs.

Agreed, but untill they were crushed by sheer numbers, the Taiwanese AF could recreate the Marianas Turkey Shoot, or its modern equivilent. But if China goes nuclear then all bets are off obviously. The cruise missiles are why Taiwan has requested and should get the Aegis system.

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 03:27 AM
link   

Agreed, but untill they were crushed by sheer numbers, the Taiwanese AF could recreate the Marianas Turkey Shoot, or its modern equivilent. But if China goes nuclear then all bets are off obviously. The cruise missiles are why Taiwan has requested and should get the Aegis system.

Who isnt to say that we havent given Taiwan any nukes yet? What the heck would china nuke the place if they are trying to unite the two in the first place?

Anyway, what do you think the U.S. would do if they detected a nuclear launch? Just for the hell of it initiate a devastating exchange? I'd love to see the looks on their face when all they did was launch a nuke or two but saw a few dozen coming at them.

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 03:45 AM
link   
yes i'm sure the US or China want to lose everything for the sake of a small island... please be realistic

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 03:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lucretius
yes i'm sure the US or China want to lose everything for the sake of a small island... please be realistic

If that was guard towards me I was asking why one country would do so... It would seem stupid if the whole purpose was to unite them. In reality i think china is just pissed because they cant impose their fist on them so they would rather destroy them...

Really though, it would be logical for the U.S. to just lay out china if they launched a nuke or two at Taiwan. It would take care of the future threat in just a few minutes time... We would write it off as saying that we thought that the nukes where headed for us as part of an initial attack on Taiwan... I hope those people in Washington think like so if it calls for these measures in the end.

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 05:15 AM
link   
can we stop the taiwan crap it has not happened nor will it

ooooooooo noooooo deny ignorance what have u

this is talk bout bull# nor does any 1 have actual real cia, mi5 and 6 or kgb or mossad secret info about info and what anylise ppl say so why bring up a lot of well known facts to prove a piont the net is full of bull and true facts on things are like finding a needle in a hayestack

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 05:22 AM
link   
ohh and another piont that will be dissed or taking the piss ottae and mocked or what have u is why wage war these days why do u think countries wanna have nukes these day secret and what have u

sudan could have nukes in a sense they have a huge humanitairian issue going where is there gov whats there money doing how much does 3rd world nuke cost even if its just a bomb not and intercognental missile just a wee guy with his jeep from ex war times driving in just as an ilegal import

boom f*** yer south taiwain there awww deed end off and ask urself whats the biggest bomb that can be made

they say 3rd world countries have some of our tech and as u think about roswell true or false it can be reverse engineerred as rumars say what about a small % of earth

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 05:25 AM
link   
Yep, and the world cancer rate would skyrocket, there'd be so much damn radiation in the air.

Yes, pilot training does count, the U.S. military doesn't spend lots of money on training pilots to just fly up and press buttons.

The F-16s the Taiwanese have have pretty sophisticated avionics in them too.

And let's stop with this about nukes, nukes are a pretty useless weapon nowadays, because you basically are shooting yourself in the process if you use them. The only point of having nukes is so that you can scare the other guy if he threatens you.

And contrary to how these communist countries may seem, I don't think they are as willing to use nukes as they may make out; it is all just a scare tactic so that you can keep from being bullied.

new topics

top topics

<< 66  67  68    70  71  72 >>

join