It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can China Invade Taiwan?

page: 68
<< 65  66  67    69  70  71 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 01:14 AM
link   
They are being slighted only if the US is gaining wildly from domination, like England and France and other countries during Colonialism. .

This is and can not happen today so the slight is not there.

The US is losing because of money out the door w/o a clear end product in sight. Sorta like WWI, WWII sure it turned out 'OK' , but that was not a given from the start.

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 03:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Broadsword20068

As for freedom, it is not the U.S.'s job to go and help every country on the Earth.

What happened to "pay any price, bear any burden"?

Although, admittedly, W has taken the US about as far from its sixties ideals as it's possible to get. Not even his hero Ronnie went that far and he followed Kissinger's lead and propped up Pinochet to the very end.

I guess Nixon and Kissinger really did get away with it all in the end.

Nox

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by HowlrunnerIV

Originally posted by Broadsword20068

As for freedom, it is not the U.S.'s job to go and help every country on the Earth.

What happened to "pay any price, bear any burden"?

Although, admittedly, W has taken the US about as far from its sixties ideals as it's possible to get. Not even his hero Ronnie went that far and he followed Kissinger's lead and propped up Pinochet to the very end.

I guess Nixon and Kissinger really did get away with it all in the end.

"Pay any price, bear any burden" is another example of sensationalist media. It does what it's meant to do: inspire people.

We only pay the price and bear the burden if the calculated returns are good enough. The CIA exists for reasons besides just military and defense. We calculate carefully what countries to "free" and how "freeing" those countries would benefit us (short term benefits and long term benefits).

For the case of Iraq, I'm assuming that Iraq will be used as a crutch used by the US to modernize the Middle East and force our philosophical values and beliefs, morals and ethics onto them, eliminating terrorism at its roots. It's quite brilliant in its own way, because how else are we going to fight terrorists? We media-flood the countries that spawn them.

Again, I agree with Broadsword that it shouldn't be our job to worry about helping out every other country. Some people are just that big-hearted enough to think that we SHOULD. To force convergence of disserting views, we use sensationalist media.

God bless ignorance.

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Aside from the millitary perspective, Chinese government wouldn't want to attempt invading Taiwan (unless forced by circumstances) BEFORE they have fully industrialised and have an internal market big enough to survive u.s. economic sanctions etc?

Also the chinese would want to have some kind of missileshield in place, so they could operate from behind an umbrella , because american airforce and missiles could ruin the whole thing....

Especially they would want to make sure that a high-value target like the 3 gorges dam is protected by state of the art missile defence, that could cope with the best the u.s., the taiwanese, the russians or the indians etc. could send to it.

I guess they need another decade or 2 (give or take a few years) until their economy can run without walmart and millitary technology hass fully matured , before they effectively could be the new sherrif in town.

[edit on 20-12-2004 by Countermeasures]

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Their is no real reason to invade Taiwan anyway is there? Yes, US, Russian, Indian and British missiles and soldiers would halt the invasion and probally invade China intself...

The Chinese would have to deploy nukes to defend themselves, and they would still be defeated, because as soon as China deploys one nuke, they will be invaded from all sides and have no where to go!

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nexus
Their is no real reason to invade Taiwan anyway is there? Yes, US, Russian, Indian and British missiles and soldiers would halt the invasion and probally invade China intself...

The Chinese would have to deploy nukes to defend themselves, and they would still be defeated, because as soon as China deploys one nuke, they will be invaded from all sides and have no where to go!

I doubt we could get into china, if we did it would be at a high cost. A too high cost.

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 05:55 PM
link   
ground wars in asia are simply a bad idea

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Too many Chinese soliders, not to mention the terrain or amount of fleeing civilians... While invading forces would try not to kill civilian,s Chinese wuld probally fire into them in attempts to hit invading forces...

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nox
"Pay any price, bear any burden" is another example of sensationalist media. It does what it's meant to do: inspire people.

I realise we're getting alittle off-topic here.

But pay any price etc is not sensationalist media. It's a direct quote from the President of the United States.

Nox

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by HowlrunnerIV

Originally posted by Nox

I realise we're getting alittle off-topic here.

But pay any price etc is not sensationalist media. It's a direct quote from the President of the United States.

Are you trying to suggest that the POTUS doesn't use sensationalism in his speechs?

Nice joke.

[edit on 21-12-2004 by Nox]

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 03:22 AM
link   
Current POTUS definitely does.

I'm quoting Kennedy. He said the US would go to the moon. It did.

He bulldozed his way through (flew over, anyone?) the Berlin blockade.

He said he would help those countries that asked for it to defend against expansionist communism to defend freedom. He went to Vietnam.

(and was killed before he could pull the advisors out).

He said Civil Rights was an obligation of the US government. The Dems supplied them.

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 10:01 AM
link   
If you had asked me 3 years ago can the US invade and subdue Iraq. I would have probably said YES.

I don't think China wants to invade or that it would. It just likes rattling it's sabor and causing a stink. Just like the recent howl over former President Lee's trip to Japan. They mentioned that they will do something if Japan let's Lee in, but they won't do anything.

Bode

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 04:14 PM
link   
China, the worlds next superpower, have made us promise to continue the "one china" attitude towards taiwan. But in the near future, as the USA continues to sell taiwan weapons systems like aegis warships and sophisticated anti aircraft radar (in order to fend off chinese attack), China is going to say "enough is enough". HOW FAR WILL US AMERICANS GO TO STOP CHINA FROM RE-AQUIRING ITS OWN ISLAND? and yes ivan china has nuke subs crawling the seas and the west coast of USA, their subs get quieter and more deadly every year.

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 04:24 PM
link   

China, the worlds next superpower, have made us promise to continue the "one china" attitude towards taiwan. But in the near future, as the USA continues to sell taiwan weapons systems like aegis warships and sophisticated anti aircraft radar (in order to fend off chinese attack), China is going to say "enough is enough". HOW FAR WILL US AMERICANS GO TO STOP CHINA FROM RE-AQUIRING ITS OWN ISLAND? and yes ivan china has nuke subs crawling the seas and the west coast of USA, their subs get quieter and more deadly every year.

It's debatable if china will actually become a superpower. None the less we will remain one like so.

What exactly are you imposing that china will say enough is enough? That they would even consider attacking America? Blasphemy! There probably aren�t any chinese subs more then a few hundred miles off the chinese coast. Yes, subs get quieter each decade or so but the weapons to counter them also increase forth fold...

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by unknwncountry
and yes ivan china has nuke subs crawling the seas and the west coast of USA, their subs get quieter and more deadly every year.

I doubt this highly and even if the communists would allow thier fw nuclear subs so far away from home, they no doubt would have a 688 or Seawolf shadow ready to send it to Davey Jone's locker if they got a bit frisky eh?

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 07:13 PM
link   
I remember reading about a new satelite radar that renders seawater invisible so that it looks like subs are moving through air.

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Yes Bodebliss, you told us that before. Technology and innovations can do a lot of things but is the military gonna invest in EVERY THING? Dream on, there are other effective things ships can do to scan water. China is willing to sacrifice a few million soldiers to regain Taiwan as we have for hundreds of years. Not many countries on earth are willing to sacrifice MILLIONS of people to regain a rice grain size of an island. China is quite good at surprising the west with its innovations and its speed of modernization. Chinese SSBNs do not need go to American waters to launch its ICBMs, the newest type 94 can attack America in waters close to Chinese shores. And yes, Chinese subs are getting quiteter and quieter every year as we release new models and upgrades.

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by COWlan
China is willing to sacrifice a few million soldiers to regain Taiwan as we have for hundreds of years. Not many countries on earth are willing to sacrifice MILLIONS of people to regain a rice grain size of an island.

you say that like it's a good thing

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 09:11 PM
link   
No one knows if China really is willing to sacrifice millions of soldiers to gain that much land. Actually, if China has to go to lengths of having to sacrifice millions of soldiers to invade Taiwan, they would most likely lose, and I am sure it would definitely re-ignite a Cold War, because every country would become a bit fearful of China's ambition. U.S. military power would be stepped up, and you can bet the U.S. would allow the Japanese to up their military forces in that arena too.

China more or less just has a big mouth right now and is trying to scare Taiwan. It doesn't want any war. They want a strong economy.

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Millions of Chinese just getting in their boats wouldn't be spotted?

Millions of Chinese just building the boats would cut down a large forrest or empty an iron mine

Get outa here COWlan.

top topics

<< 65  66  67    69  70  71 >>

join