It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can China Invade Taiwan?

page: 21
<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp

Originally posted by zcheng

So seriously, have you ever considered Scotland Indepence? Does it have a chance. I would say no way, while devilwasp is all for it. I like to see you opinion on whether the scotish people feel there is a need for Independence? I guess scotish people are quite happy to be the subjects of her Majesty the Queen.

oh and i suppose that being peacfule is really a bad thing to have in a party?
hmm looks like someone doesnt understand the basic princible's of comunism!
also we dont mind being in the UK ,its done us good. tradeing ideas. defense.
also why are you interested!

I not asking you for these questions.

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 03:29 PM
link   

I not asking you for these questions.

no your not.
but i am giveing you them.

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 04:03 PM
link   

no your not.
but i am giveing you them.

You did not answer the questions asked.

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 04:26 PM
link   

what questions?

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 04:30 PM
link   

what questions?

I like to see you opinion on whether the scotish people feel there is a need for Independence? I guess scotish people are quite happy to be the subjects of her Majesty the Queen.

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 04:35 PM
link   

I like to see you opinion on whether the scotish people feel there is a need for Independence? I guess scotish people are quite happy to be the subjects of her Majesty the Queen.

the poeple of scotland all have diffrent opinions so i cant speak for them all.
i frankly dont mind ethier, both being independant and being in the UK have thier benifits.
yes some people are happy to be subject under the royalty is this a difficult thing for you to understand?

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Scotland already has its own parliament, and can decide on an independent future for itself if it wishes, however it can also decide to stick with the status quo it is up to the people to vote for what they want. Using force to try and �persuade� people how to vote is counter productive.

Sometimes force must be used to help establish democracy in a country, which is a regrettable turn of events but is sometimes the only way. Once real democracy is established with self determinisation the use of force to try to impose one set of views over another will not work.

If China wants to reunite with Taiwan then it should allow the freedoms the Taiwanese already have to determine their own future and try a partnership where both points of view are expressed. I very much doubt that China will agree to this unless it reforms itself first. However we will see how much autonomy China will allow with the elections in Hong Kong at the moment.

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 04:40 PM
link   

the poeple of scotland all have diffrent opinions so i cant speak for them all.
i frankly dont mind ethier, both being independant and being in the UK have thier benifits.
yes some people are happy to be subject under the royalty is this a difficult thing for you to understand?

No. I am just wondering whether your projection of Scotland Independence in 25 years has any merit, or just your dream. The latter seems more likely.

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 04:42 PM
link   

No. I am just wondering whether your projection of Scotland Independence in 25 years has any merit, or just your dream. The latter seems more likely.

why do you think it is a dream?
do you think we're under a tight rein and will not be allowed to do anything?
we have our own gov,own regiments,own form of income.

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 04:51 PM
link   

why do you think it is a dream?
do you think we're under a tight rein and will not be allowed to do anything?
we have our own gov,own regiments,own form of income.

So Scotland is already independent, right?

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 04:53 PM
link   

So Scotland is already independent, right?

no we have independant organisations just we are under british rule.

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 04:58 PM
link   
But remember Scottish MPs take part in determining British policies.

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nacnud

yeah ,oh wait he wont know that .
uhh thanks for reminding us nacnud!

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nacnud

yeah ,oh wait he wont know that .
uhh thanks for reminding us nacnud!

So there is no need for Scotland to be Independent, since I see you guys are quite satisfied with current arrangement. In conclusion, there is no possibility or no need for Scotland to be independent in the following 25 years.

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 05:09 PM
link   

So there is no need for Scotland to be Independent, since I see you guys are quite satisfied with current arrangement. In conclusion, there is no possibility or no need for Scotland to be independent in the following 25 years.

there is a need,cause frankly many scots people dont like being under english rule.
also i aint satisfied cause we dont get enough say.
there is a possibility and some need but not too much.
also we could but i doubt we would.

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
With all the talk about about the US, China, and Taiwan one really has to look at the simple fact. China cannot invade at this time.

Why?
1) China lacks the amphibious capacity to move enough troops over
2) Any attempt to airlift in the necessary equipment/troops would in all likelyhood be decimated by Taiwans Pac 2's and thier AF.
3) For all thier thugary, the ChiCom leadership seems to understand that in order to take over Taiwan they would in essence have to burn it down. If they are persuing a scorched earth policy, then there may not be much the US or Taiwan can do to stop them. However, I think they want and need to keep Taiwan viable for thier own economy. Can you imagine the efficiency of slave labor coupled to the quality controll and moderinzation that Taiwan posseses?????
4) The US would not stand by and allow Taiwan to be taken by conventional means. Aside from being a great customer from our planes and weapons systems we also benifit from an economic/industrial standpoint.
5) China can sabre rattle all they want, but can they affort to piss off thier most important trading partner the US?

hey guys, i didnt read 21 pages of messages that were prolly mostly arguments anyway, but heres my idea: ive heard that China has a land based artillery system call edhte 2nd artillery or somting of that sort, couldnt they jus launch hundreds of missiles and level much of taiwans infrastructure (spelled wrong?). but yeah i dont see how they have the logisitics to move their massive army into taiwan. and yep that would seriously upset the usa, not sure what we'd do tho..nuclear response is out, but if they DID have that many troops in taiwan, we'd have to bomb them to poop be4 we could land enough ground forces to overrun them...

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by imAMERICAN
hey guys, i didnt read 21 pages of messages that were prolly mostly arguments anyway, but heres my idea: ive heard that China has a land based artillery system call edhte 2nd artillery or somting of that sort, couldnt they jus launch hundreds of missiles and level much of taiwans infrastructure (spelled wrong?).

Welcome to the scrum
I agree with you China does not have the capacity yet to invade and take over. That being said they do have the capacity to volley cruise missiles and use their antiquated but really large AF to destroy the island. Unless the US is willing to preposition a large number of Ageis class curisers in the Taiwan Straight and sell them alot of PAC2's and 3's its going to be tuff to defend agains a lightning like attack by the CHiCOms.

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 05:38 PM
link   
If you ask me, I don't think China will ever try to invade Taiwan. It's just too much of a risk and China is not an invasion force.

If there is any chance China and the U.S. will ever fight, I think it'll be in the case if the U.S. is embroiled in a really tough war with North Korea. And the only thing I see happening is China launching a strike force to finally conquer the mouth-drooling quantities of oil and natural gas of the Spratly Islands.

I'm writing sort of an analysis of what a Chinese invasion force invading Spratly Islands fighting off a single Carrier Battlegroup and an MEU would look like. This is really an interesting and important subject, because let's face it, the only "offensive" thing China would ever do is invade the Spratly Islands. There would be no opposition, at least until America decides to go for the oil and gas themselves, which would most certainly happen. This is the only likely scenario for U.S. and China to ever fight, and it'd be small-scale, but extensive and violent.

Thoughts? And please, no American/Chinese propaganda!

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by sweatmonicaIdo
I'm writing sort of an analysis of what a Chinese invasion force invading Spratly Islands fighting off a single Carrier Battlegroup and an MEU would look like. This is really an interesting and important subject, because let's face it, the only "offensive" thing China would ever do is invade the Spratly Islands.

Intersting premise. I don't know if the US would only comit 1 CBG to that kind of operation. Not that close to China. If we were talking about Guam maybe, but its too close to home if you know what I mean. I also don't think the Chinese would allow the US to move in and set up drilling. I know the Phillipines claim the islands, anybody else? I could see the US getting drawn into a Phillipines / China conflict, and I think we still have defence treaties with the Phillipines if I am not mistaken.

Edit: the one MEU sounds about right though.

Have you finished your analysis yet? I rember the old Harpoon game and you could custom create scenarios like that. THe Navy actually used it for training for a while.

[edit on 12-9-2004 by FredT]

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by sweatmonicaIdo
If you ask me, I don't think China will ever try to invade Taiwan. It's just too much of a risk and China is not an invasion force.

My judgement is just the opposite. China is preparing to take control of outlaying islands of Taiwan. Most strategically is the "Peng Hu" islands.

Spatly Island will not be tackled unless Taiwan issue is already solved.

new topics

top topics

<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join