It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can China Invade Taiwan?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 09:31 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by gattaca
straitstimes.asia1.com.sg...

Interesting. But as the article pointed out, the 5 day wipeout assumed no help from the US. Lets say the US provides air support, it would alter the scenario quite a bit. Its intersting that they made the report public. You think that they would want to cover it up. But perhaps its part of a political agenda to buy more arms etc. Either way, the US should offer the freedom loving people of taiwan whatever military assistance that they need.

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Most importantly, the US nuclear detterence prevents the Chinese from attacking. Even without a military pressence in the region, that might be sufficient to keep the Chinese leadership from attacking. Of course, if they -are- willing to engage in thermonuclear global war; then the military pressence there will prove helpful.

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Interesting. But as the article pointed out, the 5 day wipeout assumed no help from the US. Lets say the US provides air support, it would alter the scenario quite a bit. Its intersting that they made the report public. You think that they would want to cover it up. But perhaps its part of a political agenda to buy more arms etc. Either way, the US should offer the freedom loving people of taiwan whatever military assistance that they need.

first of all it's only simulation.I won't trust it very much.second one we don't know what US do in such a situation.we can only imagine.and what is more I'm not sure if china can invade Taiwan before US sattelites see what is going on and send alarm to taiwanese (did I wrote it properly?? Taiwanese??)
) military forces.

I suppose that China cannot attack Tawian with suprise.

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
Most importantly, the US nuclear detterence prevents the Chinese from attacking. Even without a military pressence in the region, that might be sufficient to keep the Chinese leadership from attacking. Of course, if they -are- willing to engage in thermonuclear global war; then the military pressence there will prove helpful.

You do not know that China has nukes, missiles, and nuclear submarines? I guess in the Korean war, US did not have nukes and it was North Korea not even part of China.

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 10:56 AM
link   

first of all it's only simulation.I won't trust it very much.second one we don't know what US do in such a situation.we can only imagine.and what is more I'm not sure if china can invade Taiwan before US sattelites see what is going on and send alarm to taiwanese (did I wrote it properly?? Taiwanese??)
) military forces.

I suppose that China cannot attack Tawian with suprise.

The problem is that China has missile pipelines and Taiwan is only 180 Km away from China. Nukes, Missiles, submarines will deter US intervention, unless US want to risk Carriers to rest at the Ocean bottom.

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Interesting topic...

I had a Chinese roomate during my Jr. year in college and we visited a lot about this type of situation. One thing he and nearly 20 other Chinese students that I got to know quite well told me was "China has never shown aggression toward another people, it has only responded to their attacks". I found it very interesting that not a single one of them believed that their country had ever done anything wrong.

They were very nice people, but I got the feeling that they had been brainwashed to the fullest extent.

If China ever goes to war with the US, etc...I would be very scared. With the size of their population and the governmental system they have they would be deadly.

Hmm....interesting that we are talking about things such as this. Weird things going on in Russia, talks of China starting war....is it just me or does this reek of john Titor
just around the time he said all this would happen. Maybe Im just being paraniod?

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jazzerman
Interesting topic...

I had a Chinese roomate during my Jr. year in college and we visited a lot about this type of situation. One thing he and nearly 20 other Chinese students that I got to know quite well told me was "China has never shown aggression toward another people, it has only responded to their attacks". I found it very interesting that not a single one of them believed that their country had ever done anything wrong.

There are too many things Chinese government done wrong. The worst is the 10 years Cultural Revolution, and waivering Japanese compensation for atrocities in and before WWII. There is also rampant corruption in China today.

In terms of aggression, there are few incidents in the long history of China. In the past two hundred years, China was too weak to protect herself from aggression of Japan, Russia and the West.

Taiwan was and is part of China. Some people in Taiwan want to follow the way of Mongolia, but China is not weak anymore and ready to defend sovereignty.

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by zcheng
You do not know that China has nukes, missiles, and nuclear submarines?

I am not saying that they do not. What difference does it make. A strong military does not negate detterence. Thats the whole idea behind superlarge nuclear arsenals, deterrence.

jazzerman (mentioning what someone told him):
China has never shown aggression toward another people, it has only responded to their attacks

On that, the romans used to allways claim that their wars were responses to attacks. Also, the chin kingdom aggresively invaded its neighbhours and expanded to incorporate what -became- china, but still required military action in order to expand. Usually, I have heard that the 'we only attack in defense' idea is used to back up a 'we will fight with whatever methods we choose' sort of idea (ie, because we were attacked, we can fight using 'illegal' means and extreme measures and be justified')

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 01:49 PM
link   

There are too many things Chinese government done wrong. The worst is the 10 years Cultural Revolution, and waivering Japanese compensation for atrocities in and before WWII. There is also rampant corruption in China today.

In terms of aggression, there are few incidents in the long history of China. In the past two hundred years, China was too weak to protect herself from aggression of Japan, Russia and the West.

Taiwan was and is part of China. Some people in Taiwan want to follow the way of Mongolia, but China is not weak anymore and ready to defend sovereignty.

isn't that just a problem of governemnt type in china???so what happen if China go democratic way??Democratic China (in 20 years for example - it's very real date) - wouldn't taiwanese come and join China with their own will???

I heard that the only problem is that Taiwan doesn't recognize current governemnt type- because the Taiwan was estabilished by Chang-Kai-Shek who fought with communists.

[edit on 26-8-2004 by gattaca]

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 02:17 PM
link   

isn't that just a problem of governemnt type in china???so what happen if China go democratic way??Democratic China (in 20 years for example - it's very real date) - wouldn't taiwanese come and join China with their own will???

It is because the rule of law is not well established yet in China, which is a long and slow process. With US be so democratic and rule of law, corruption and collapse like Enron still ocurred. Do not tell me that democrazy the cure of all, India is facing similar corruption problem like China.

Similarly, why the North did not allow the South to go Independent and join the Union with their own will? The fate of Taiwan can only be determined by all Chinese, not only by those now staying in Taiwan Island. You think you can go Independent with you home?

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 02:30 PM
link   

If China had democracy it would probably break up; they have suppressed too many ethnic groups for too long. A strong central government is all that is keeping the country together.

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 02:36 PM
link   
China has threatened to invade Taiwan numerous times inthe past. It all boils down to the fact the Taiwan is becoming an economic hub in Asia they are catching up with China the govt are afraid of this.

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by drunk
China has threatened to invade Taiwan numerous times inthe past. It all boils down to the fact the Taiwan is becoming an economic hub in Asia they are catching up with China the govt are afraid of this.

Actually it is in reverse. Years ago there was the well known 4 "small dragons": Hong Kong, Singapore, Taiwan, and South Korea. Now China is rapidly catching up, and is called "Giant Dragon".

China do not afraid the prosperity of Taiwan. Most Mainland Chinese still consider those living in Taiwan as Chinese. Due to the tragic history of China in the past 150 years, it will be the greatest tragedy for Chinese at war with Chinese. All methods will be exhausted before war in Taiwan Strait. Unfortunately, those in Taiwan consider the deliberation on Mainland as a sign of weakness and crouching toward Independence. We can only imagine what a great nation China will be if all Chinese are united in peace to develop our motherland--China.

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 09:27 PM
link   

We can only imagine what a great nation China will be if all Chinese are united in peace to develop our motherland--China.

China will never have peace they have too mnay territorial ambitions ie. SE Asia, S China Sea, Siberia.

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by mad scientist
China will never have peace they have too mnay territorial ambitions ie. SE Asia, S China Sea, Siberia.

Why do not you add Europe, North and South America, Africa, and Astralia as well?

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Why do not you add Europe, North and South America, Africa, and Astralia as well?

China is the only country claiming sovereignty over areas long ago lost to some first dynasty empire. Do you deny this, look at what haoppened in Tibet.
In Lhassa, you drained the sacred lake paved it in concrete and used it as a military parade ground.

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 10:50 PM
link   
It's so sad.

The Chinese will believe their government does no wrong.

While the Americans will believe that the Chinese are as aggressive as aggressive gets.

Both sides are 100% wrong. The Chinese government has some bad stuff in it's cloest. But China has never been an aggressor. China is as isolationist as isolationist can get It's actually been more of a victim.

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 12:38 AM
link   
No way US will attack China or vice versa due to MAD even a non nuclear conflict would cause significant commercial loss and lets face it it always about the money. No oil in Taiwan then? Taiwan falls into the US's sphere of influence when the US has no need of Taiwan then a deal will be done.

Most wars are fought with politics when both sides have big guns.

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 01:00 AM
link   

In Lhassa, you drained the sacred lake paved it in concrete and used it as a military parade ground.

Can you provide more information on this accusation?

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join