It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can China Invade Taiwan?

page: 156
<< 153  154  155    157  158  159 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2005 @ 02:24 PM
link   
"Japan: buried the war criminals in their holy shrine."

Japan didn't do anything. It was the former curator of a private religious
temple who by right and night interred the ashes of said criminals. Does that mean that the 2.6 million innocents deserve to be forgot or totally ignored. It is good that PM Koizumi goes there. Maybe as he prays the spirits of 2.6 million warriors will be saying to him,"Nevr again...Never again spill the blood of Japan in conquest of empire. Never again needlessly." Amen.

"Japanese textbooks try to sugarcoat Japan's astrocities during WWII to make it look less guilty. Examples: said Japan "entered" China instead of "invaded." Referred to the Nanjing Massacre as "the Nanjing incident." Referred to rape victims as "comfort women." "

"Many Americans see Japan as a harmonious, one-dimensional society; the fact that teachers brought this textbook controversy -- which involved lawsuits supported by tens of thousands of Japanese people -- to the attention of their students may help diminish that stereotype. At least two individuals are prominent in the textbook controversy in Japan. By introducing Saburo Ienaga and Nobukatsu Fujioka to students, American teachers add a human dimension to Japan's textbook controversy. For years Japan's past adversaries, its Asian neighbors, have scrutinized Japan's history textbooks. With their students, American teachers might examine American textbook narratives while imagining that Mexican, Japanese, and Vietnamese scholars and students are reading over their shoulders as they teach and learn about American interpretations of the war with Mexico, the war in the Pacific, or the war in Vietnam. Finally, American teachers might also consider presenting this passionate debate in Japan as an example for Americans to follow in constructively criticizing and improving textbooks in the United States. "

Every country's textbooks are askew. Put on your hero costume and right the world's textbooks not just Japan's textbooks.

www.ericdigests.org...

"What do you mean if the roles were reversed you mean you want CCP members to do the protesting while the people tell them to stop? "

You really should deny ignorance. I heard the accounts of the protests outside the embassy. There were a few hundred protesters who were mostly CCP underlings being directed by their superiors dressed in civilian clothes. In a country as populated as China, you'd think a million would show up and tear down the embassy.

Your kidding, right?

"Nobody's asking them to take responsibility for it, they're not the ones who started WWII. However, they still should demonstrate to the world that they acknowledge that what their former government did was wrong instead of trying to cover it up and make it look pretty. "

I don't think that is the case. I read from Japanese sites and Japanese parents must be taking pains to tell their children about the war and Japan's part in it because they seem pretty informed to me.

"Germany: has offered official apologies for the role of Germany in the Holocaust
Japan: all of Japan's "apologies" were half-hearted. They refrained from using the word "apologise," instead using "regret," which is less sincere. They show much reluctance to make a formal apology, only half-heartedly mentioning it when diplomatic relations with other countries take a dive.
Have a look at your beloved Taipei Times. Even they think so."

Germany might apologize for the Holocaust because it was willng to pay reparations for that as average citizens all over Germany turned in Jews, Gypsies, devout christians, odd people for the death camps.

For all we know "regret" may be a very powerful word in Japan. The difference in culture and all.

PS: The war with Japan is over. The US which brought Japan's empire(while the CCP and KMT hid in the bushes) down, does not berate the Japanese. I wonder why? It's not because of a few poison gas secrets.

posted on Oct, 2 2005 @ 03:42 PM
link   
What proof do you have those people were CCP 'Underlings'?

posted on Oct, 2 2005 @ 05:09 PM
link   
So Japanese Government did apologize? well, I didn't hear it.

As far as I remember, each and every time when Japan made such an apologies, its government were under "duress" - facing pressure from China, Korea and other east asia nations. Those apologies were simply calculated gestures to gain diplomatic rooms, no sincerety at all. One should not be naive about what Japanese government and media say to the world about the war, one should listen more to what they tell their children. Ask any young Japanese on the street about what he know about the war, you will get the picture: "Japan is the only nation who had suffered the horor of nuclear bombs. As for Japan's agression, well, Japan is sorry that its struggles to advance asia's status and interests did cause its neighbors many discomfort and sufferings in the past, blahblahblah....".

Japanese troops killed over 30 million Chinese - over 90 percent of them civilians in WWII, committed countless hideous crimes against Chinese people, and are trying everything they can to deny them. To name a few, the masacre of Nanjing (Nips say the number of victims were in doubt, Jap imperial army only slaughtered defeated Chinese troops, not civilians), the "comfort women" (they say the women simply did it willingly for money, one of the imcumbent jap ministers once claimed "the women should be remembered for their sacrifices for Japan's lofty cource), the executions and torturing of POWs (they say only in isolated incidents), the death camps (worse than Nazi's inventions, victims (the "logs") were cut open alive, injected with bacterium, freezed, electricuted, suffocated (they say insuuficient evidences pointing to such installations), the large number of mass graves across the countryside in northern and central China - the largest at Pingdingshan, Liaoning, which have over 12,000 humans stacked up in a shallow pit (they say there are no eye-witnesses who could prove that Jap troops did the executions), the notorious "competitions of one- hundred-head-count" (they can't deny this - the Champions and the runner-ups were touted heros in wartime Jp newspapers with their grinning mugshots next to the stories of killing sprees, but they did a good job to hide the facts away from their children), I can't name them all, it's a long list of crimes against humanity of that seems to have no ending.

Chinese TV viewers have had quite an experience in the past two months (the 60th anniversary of WWII). They have been exposed to many neglected facts about the war, both good and bad: the volunteer from the former Soviet unions, the AVG (flying tigers), hump airlift, the 14th airforce, heroic fightings done by KMT and their heros, at the same time, they also have to endure the pain of watching more Japanese war time atrocities against Chinese people. (A large number of the programs were documentaries of interviewed stories of Chinese war heros, eyewitnesses of the Japanese atrocities, heros of AVG and American airmen, Ex-American POWs, even some Ex-jap soldiers). I didn;t ask the people's around me, but I just know that they had tears in their eyes almost every time they watchthe programs. So did I.

Japanese government heads have been adamant that they will continue pay tribute to their war shrine, which claims to be the home of the souls of 2 millions plus Japanese soldiers as well as related personnels who died in japan's many wars of agression. They argue that it's just their culture thing, no disrespect to the humanity and the world, that no matter what crimes a man may had committed, when he is dead, he should be cleared of his crimes and becomes an innocent soul (this is the theory, like it or not, the world is going to buy it? well, I don't think so, not the Chinese) . I wonder how many people still don't know that scores of CONVICTED WAR CRIMINALS have their names placed their, being mourned as tragic heros (a big farce!). If you ask me, the war criminals were guilty both in life and in soul and should be forever condemned!

In a free and democratic Japan, the politicians have the right to make a choice, they can choose true reconciliation with Chinese by facing the truth and remembering the history as it is, or they can continue with all that cover-ups and white-washes, and standing by the criminals. They can't have both.

Justice was not done in 1945, and justice will be done.

--------------------

I see someone on this forum talking about CCP kill 50 million of its own people. Well, you don't have to be a CCP member to know it's a lie (it's too obvious, I think he is insulting the inteligence of every one on this forum).

CCP did have the records of wrongfully killing innocent people in the "Great Leap Forward" in 1960 (responsible for the bad harvest and ensuing famines in a few provinces, causing the death of tens of thousand of farming population), the culture revolution 1966-1976) thousands of loyal cadres of CCP were thown out of their posts, sent to re-education camps, some of them were persecuted to death, State Chairman Liu Shaoqi and General Peng Dehui (who commanded Chinese volunteer forces in Korean War) were among the victims. However, CCP had admitted their wrong doings in these two tragic incidents and restored the name of the victims and compensated their families. The scars are healing well.

The only remaining case is the June 4th Tian'Anmen Square. I was a college student then, I hated the government for its killings of hundred of Beijing residents and students. I still do. Sooner or later, someone has to stand the trial of justice and history.

I would still vote for CCP (I am not one of them) if there is a multi-party election tomorrow. The reason is simple, only CCP can hold China as one nation, one people. Besides, CCP didn't fair too bad compared with any other foreign regime. It holds a pretty clean record in many human rights areas, such as maltreatment of POWS (Ask the captured jap soldiers in 1945, the Americans in Korean War, the indians in 1962 border conflict, the vietcongs. in contrast, the democratic Americans seem to have a pattern of abusing their war prisoners - not just Iraq, if you read military history a bit you'll know. )

CCP is pretty kind to minority ethnic peoples like Tibetan, mongolians, Koreans, and many many other. In the US the black people enjoys certain previledges at least on paper (after years of struggles), in China, the ethnic groups enjoys even more priviledges at least on paper (without having to make much noise). The most famous ethnic issue is Tibet. The western world see Dalai Lama as the only respected spiritual leader of tibetans, a pacifist, a man of wisdom and morals, a nobel peace prize winner, a freedom fighter......... But few of them know or are willing to face the truth: Before the liberation in 1956, Tibet is a slavery society by all means. If you have visited Lhasa, you will probably have known the drums make by human skins, and black and white pphotos of mutilated slaves, some had their limbs chopped off, some had their ears, eyes and mostly tongues cut....., believe me these were not isolated incidents, they were the standard punishment code of a cruelest slavery system with Dalai Lama on the top of the pyramid. CCP had given Dalai Lama - the biggest slave owner in tibet the best deal in 1950, allowing the aristocracies and high monks to keep their babarious rule of the land for some more time on the condition that they maintain their recognition of their autonomous status under the sovereignty of Chinese GOvernment, like they had been in MingDynasty, Qing Dynasty, and Republic of China. Dalai Lama agreed, but then broke the deal and announced independence in 1956. So long for the Lamas, the slave owners and the aristocracies. Several thousand PLA troops marched into Tibet and quickly defeated Dalai Lama's troops (superior in number) and chased them to india. New Tibetan Autonomnous Government were formed, slavery banned, slaves were freed, houses, cattles and land were given to peasants and ex-slaves. Monastries were were preserved, but high monks and Lamas were not allowed to own slaves even servants any more, they were also not allowed to participate in the civil government. Before the liberation, only about 20 percent of the tibetan population were ruling class, about 30 percent were slaves - "Cattles and tools with tongues" in the slave owner's own term, the rest of the population were peasants or herdsmen.

Western people are tricked into believing that "Tibetan Government in Exile" should be the legal representative of tibet. That's wrong. They only represent themselves. If, I mean if they were allowed to participated in a free election in tibet tomorrow, I doubt if they could get any votes. Tibet is the land of China, and the land of the tibetan mass whose forefathers had been peasants and slaves. They won't let the slave-owner-turned -freedom-fighters take back their freedom, their houses, their herds, their praeries, their color tVs, their trucks, their satelite disc antennas.

Western media lied about Chinese Han people slaughtering Tibetan people. That never happened, not even isolated incidents. Tibetans are surprisingly close to Hans, same diet habit, same skin, same faces, similar religion. They took each other just as another fellow on the street. The population in tibet have grown from less than two million in 1956 to over 5 million in nowadays. Most of the growth comes from Tibetans, some from the immigrants from other provinces. The fast growth are mainly attributed to the diferent population control policies there - in Han Chinese cities, each couple can have only one child (or face a hefty fine), but in Tibet, one couple can have two childrens (in most cases, the policy never get down to the grassroots level, and its not carried out by force, rather by pulling endless social strings, if persuation is ever needed).

Tibetan language and Chinese are both mandatory courses in schools. Young tibet folks are free to choose religion as a career, if they could pass the strict test set by the old monks themselves.

CCP never conducted or tolerated racial violent against CHina's ethnic groups (one of the contrasts is Indonesia - a developing, yet democratic country, where large scale violence against Indonesian Chinese occurred many times). In fact racial issues have never come even close to the boiling point any where in CHina. Xingjiang urgor Autonomous region might be an exception, just might. Most muslims there look different from typical Chinese, but most of them choose to recogonize Chinese rule and are quite comfortable living with decent Han people. If you ever have entered China from the Pakistan border, you must have been greeted by Chinese custom officers totally looking caucasian and speak some muslim language. If you get to know them more, you will find they are proud to be a Chinese and are proud of what they are doing for their country. But there are a number of Osama Bin Laden fans hiding there, they had been trained and armed in Afganistan, and had launched a number of attacks on civilian buses and police forces. They just wanted to make a bang to draw world attentions to their far-fetched "East turkistan dream". They don't give a damn who are on the buses, muslims, hans. They are terrorists, period.

I hate to know that the American have been extremely reluctant to category Bin Laden cronies in Xinjing as terrorists. 3 prisoners in Quantanamore (Quba) had been identified as Chinese citizens from Xinjiang. But the US insist to release them and refuse to extradite them. Well well, the great, glorious America, you can lead the world, but you should know that only force is not enough, and will never be enough. On too many occasions, the US had been wiilling to let morals down the drain for short term interests by exercise double standards and bend the rules around for herself. That might explain why the US is the most hated countries in the world (not out of the jealousy of her wealth and influences, but her extreme selfishness and narssicist (?) trait), and dilema she is facing in the anti-terrorism campaign.

I know I sound like an Chincom propagandist on this forum, but I am not. The nature of my job provides me a lot of chances to meet people from diferent countries and give me a lot of thoughts, and I am not anti-US or anti-democracy by all means. I like individual Americans, almost every single one who I have met. So do every CHinese around me. It's their charm, humors, wits, personalities, free minds, kindness, courtecy, and sometimes simply their lookings that make Chinese like them, I don't have to mention American music, food, drinks, movies and literatures here. An American doesn't need to be Michael Jordan, Arnold Schiwartz'n-word' or Tom Cruise to draw fans in China. But when it comes to the US government, we always get a different feeling, it's an image of ruthless, unruliness, rudeness, heartless, wantonness, shrewdness rolled into one. Sometimes I can't help but wonder if the Americans I have met only showed one side of themselves.

Western media are always crazy about human rights, but they only take human rights as freedom of speech, freedom of election. They cririsized China over and over on these issues. Well, they may have a point there, but they choose to overlook the bright side of the stories. China quietly and successfully made its large rural population free from starvation (part of the human rights?), made free basic education mandatory (human rights?), covered almost all the urban citizens with medical insurance and other welfare and is is pushing the social welfare network into the farest corner of rural areas (isn't that human rights?). Yeah, I am for free elections, but that has to be the last step, and I may even vote for KMT, if the old foe of CCP eventually returns to mainland China.

Puri

[edit on 2-10-2005 by puri]

posted on Oct, 2 2005 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by bodebliss
Japan didn't do anything. It was the former curator of a private religious
temple who by right and night interred the ashes of said criminals.

Well that curator sure is causing a lot of political friction. If the Japanese government wants respect from other countries maybe it should convince the curator to take the war criminals out.

"Japanese textbooks try to sugarcoat Japan's astrocities during WWII to make it look less guilty. Examples: said Japan "entered" China instead of "invaded." Referred to the Nanjing Massacre as "the Nanjing incident." Referred to rape victims as "comfort women."
Every country's textbooks are askew. Put on your hero costume and right the world's textbooks not just Japan's textbooks.

Germany taught students that what Hitler and the Third Reich did was wrong, and did not hide or sugarcoat any astrocities caused by them. Because of that, Germany received overall approval from its formal victims in WWII. If Japan wants that too - and they do want it - they should follow Germany's example.

"What do you mean if the roles were reversed you mean you want CCP members to do the protesting while the people tell them to stop?"
You really should deny ignorance. I heard the accounts of the protests outside the embassy. There were a few hundred protesters who were mostly CCP underlings being directed by their superiors dressed in civilian clothes. In a country as populated as China, you'd think a million would show up and tear down the embassy.

I still have no idea what you're trying to say. If you mean the majority of the anti-Japan protesters are CCP members then you're probably right considering that there are 63 million members in the CCP and that almost everybody in an urban area has CCP membership.

"Nobody's asking them to take responsibility for it, they're not the ones who started WWII. However, they still should demonstrate to the world that they acknowledge that what their former government did was wrong instead of trying to cover it up and make it look pretty."
I don't think that is the case. I read from Japanese sites and Japanese parents must be taking pains to tell their children about the war and Japan's part in it because they seem pretty informed to me.

First of all, the Japanese government, which represents the Japanese population, has not demonsrated that. Second, how can such websites be reliable information? How does the builder of the site represent the population of all of Japan?

For all we know "regret" may be a very powerful word in Japan. The difference in culture and all.

The word they used was "hansei," 反省 in Kanji (copied Chinese characters), which simply means regret, reconsideration, reflection, etc., and has virtually no apologetic value.

PS: The war with Japan is over. The US which brought Japan's empire(while the CCP and KMT hid in the bushes) down, does not berate the Japanese. I wonder why? It's not because of a few poison gas secrets.

1) Because Japan barely committed any astrocities on the US civilian population while what they did to other Asian countries was worse than what Hitler did to the Jews.
2) Because the US already caused its own astrocities on the Japanese civilian population (dropped 2 nuclear bombs) so they are satisfied.

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 02:03 AM
link   

And Stalin then realised that to get this tiny Chinese Communist Party to power he needed somebody like Mao to take the tiny Chinese Communist Party to power. So Stalin backed Mao from very early on.

They backed the KMT right to 1949. Stalin hated Mao and his peasant type of communism.

Stalin thought that the chinese communist were never going to win from the start and gave the KMT supplies polictical support.

So your agrument isn't supported by any edvidence

I mean, talking about dividing China, Mao even envisaged the dividing line, which was the Yangtze River, and he hoped he would rule the China north of the river under Soviet protection. Of course, as the first step… I mean he wanted, after that no doubt he would want to conquer the whole of China, and later to conquer the world.

No it wasn't

America wanted the communist to stay in manchuria and the rest of chian to the KMT. Mao was about to agree to this until the KMT attacked him.

Although Mao was no good at economics, he knew this number of people would die, and he had incorporated their death into his policy because he was exporting the food they were dependent on for survival, to Russia.
www.abc.net.au...

No, Russia made us pay for weapons used in the korean war. we had to send meat and wheat to the soviets

If we didn't meet the quotas they would have invaded or cut off aid

What is it about Mao Mao Now Now you like so much?

The fact that he hid his distaste for average peasants and could kill whoever he wanted to?

You dont know anything about that time.

You read "western" books and think that that is the truth.

I know people that lived through that time any how it really was.

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 02:06 AM
link   

The german gov't of today has never claimed responsibility for WWII. Why should Japan be different. I thought you were brighter than that.

Umm.

The germans gave very very large amounts of aid to jews. have denouced nazis every possible chance they get and are a peace loving people.

I think the Japanese people have suffered enough for the missteps of prior gov'ts. Don't you?

WTF???

What did they suffer

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 02:16 AM
link   
bodebliss

Do you even know what they write about WW2 in the Yasukuni Shrine?

*They say that comfort women volunteered for the japanese army.

*Asian people were greatful to the japanese and they should thank japan

*koreans welcomed the japanese

A quote from what the japanese wrote in the Yasukuni Shrine

Some 1,068 people, who were wrongly accused as war criminals by the Allied court, were enshrined here

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As you should know the 14 A class crimmials were only put in the Yasukuni Shrine in 1978.

Why was that i might ask

Aslo 1000 japanese POW that were exucuted are also kept there

[edit on 3-10-2005 by chinawhite]

[edit on 3-10-2005 by chinawhite]

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 02:30 AM
link   
"What did they suffer ?"

They lost 2.6 million soldiers due to their prior gov't and 300,000 civilians. Their way of life and industrial base were forever destroyed.That wasn't the Japanese doing that was their prior gov't's doings. That gov't is gone, Relegated to history. If Japan rises to power again , it will be in keeping w/ international norms. The same can not be said for China led by the CCP butchers.

[edit on 10/3/2005 by bodebliss]

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 02:33 AM
link   

"What did they suffer ?"

They lost 2.6 million soldiers due to their prior gov't and 300,000 civilians. That wasn't the Japanese that was their prior gov't's doing. That gov't is gone relegated to history. If Japan rises to power again , it will be in keeping w/ international norms. The same can not be said for China led by the CCP butchers.

Actually the Chinese lost millions as did the Russians...

Is it so hard for Japan to come forward and say they acknowledge the war crimes commited by their passed Government?

Also, I suggest you go look up what a 'norm' is, you'll find that there is no such thing as an 'international norm' due to the fact not every Nation/Society will agree with it nor will every Government. Just as there are no true local level norms...in fact, just take a sociology class...

[edit on 3/10/2005 by Odium]

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 02:40 AM
link   
"Aslo 1000 japanese POW that were exucuted are also kept there"

They are dead and must be burried somewhere. At least they are among warriors.

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 02:43 AM
link   
"Well that curator sure is causing a lot of political friction. If the Japanese government wants respect from other countries maybe it should convince the curator to take the war criminals out. "

Yes he is. the current currator has refused to consider the idea that a separate shrine be built for the war criminals. They are monks and can't be bribed or bought off.

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 02:47 AM
link   
"First of all, the Japanese government, which represents the Japanese population, has not demonsrated that. Second, how can such websites be reliable information? How does the builder of the site represent the population of all of Japan?"

Here is the site it is a very popular site . The Japanese that go there show a high degree of irreverence for the militaristic past.

www.japantoday.com...

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 04:33 AM
link   

They lost 2.6 million soldiers due to their prior gov't and 300,000 civilians.

WTF WTF WTF???????

Have you gone mad.
they choose to kill and try to conquer their neighbours

Their way of life and industrial base were forever destroyed.

they could have rebelled like the samurais in the Satsuma Rebellion.

Its a sad fact but the old got replaced by the new.

That wasn't the Japanese doing that was their prior gov't's doings. That gov't is gone, Relegated to history. If Japan rises to power again , it will be in keeping w/ international norms.

And those same japanses think that the butchers of ww2 are heros

The same can not be said for China led by the CCP butchers.

cut it out.

you haven't gave anything nearing credible to say something like that

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 04:36 AM
link   

Here is the site it is a very popular site . The Japanese that go there show a high degree of irreverence for the militaristic past.

www.japantoday.com...

WTF????

people there still claim that the emperor is still a god....

i know some people that arent like that but the majority there are.

I was a active member until i choose to give up because of the flamming

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 04:37 AM
link   

They are dead and must be burried somewhere. At least they are among warriors.

WTF you kidding.

A person that kills women and children should have their ashes thrown in the bin

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 04:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by chinawhite
[A person that kills women and children should have their ashes thrown in the bin

YEAH. But don't people still parade past the embalmed body of mao? Or did they finaly trashbin him as well??

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 05:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT

YEAH. But don't people still parade past the embalmed body of mao? Or did they finaly trashbin him as well??

Those people? who are those people.

can you remember the last time a chinese president visited Mao?

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 11:40 AM
link   

[url=http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051004/tc_nm/taiwan_china_google_dc;_ylt=ArC32_bAVYLydgXSmeDMS2xk24cA;_ylu=X3o'___'A3cjE0b2MwBHNlYwM3Mzg-]Source[/ur l]
Taiwan is recognized by only 26 states in the world and has no seat at the United Nations.

Not sure if anyone knew that but just thought it was an interesting fact. Even doing some research most leading Nation's have never made public support for Taiwan being an Independent Nation but rather a rogue provinance of China...

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 12:20 PM
link   
"Not sure if anyone knew that but just thought it was an interesting fact. Even doing some research most leading Nation's have never made public support for Taiwan being an Independent Nation but rather a rogue provinance of China... "

All the major countries agree that Taiwan should be allowed to choose it's path.

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 12:33 PM
link   

All the major countries agree that Taiwan should be allowed to choose it's path.

When and where?

new topics

top topics

<< 153  154  155    157  158  159 >>

join