It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can China Invade Taiwan?

page: 149
<< 146  147  148    150  151  152 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 03:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by ludahai
China produces shoes and clothes in factories owned by Taiwanese businessmen. China has dirt cheap labor (artifically low due partially to an artifically low yuan) who can't bargain collective (so much for the worker's paradise) as well as some of the most lax environmental regulations in East Asia.

Yeah....and the many taiwanese compaines there

As for high tech, Hsinchu is the high tech center and Taichung will be the home of a new nanotechnology park soon (it is currently under construction.)

That is nothing. It depends what they produce in those places

No way China's hinterlands will catch up to Taiwan's so quickly. More like a hundred years.

yes you are right. but im not talking about the hinterland. im talking about the average perc aptia income

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 03:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
Alrighty then: Lets maintain some decourum and kindly stick to the topic at hand. Personal insults and the like will not be tolerated, nor do they add anything to the discussion at hand.

FredT can you restrain him from his personal attacks.

and from calling me Chicom or ChinkCom.

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 03:25 AM
link   

Well, you tote the Party line and even in your title you call yourself "chinkcom." It seems to fit.

In another thread i explained why i wrote this

I know, I know. ChiComs don't have any morality, so they won't do the right thing. No surprise. I have dealt with all of this before from so-called Chinese nationalists.

And taiwanese do?

I never claimed that I wasn't a Westerner.

You are a westerner. now i know where this is coming from.

Disrespectful to chinese culture

Wow! You have been living in Fujian for 700 years?!?!? Keep it up, you will catch up to Methuselah

congrats

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 03:25 AM
link   
Taiwan:
GDP
purchasing power parity - $576.2 billion (2004 est.)
purchasing power parity - $25,300 (2004 est.) [Per-Person]

China
GDP
purchasing power parity - $7.262 trillion (2004 est.)
purchasing power parity - $5,600 (2004 est.) [Per-Person]

Taken from the C.I.A. factbook.

At the Chinese current growth rate, in 15years they should have a higher income per-person than Taiwan does.

Although per-person income doesn't have to be so high due to the low prices in China, so really with 3/4000 they can survive easily.

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 03:26 AM
link   
but you only call yourself that(chinkcom)..
I used to see it in your avataar..
I was very puzzled when i first saw it because i assumed that it was always derrogatory..

Lets get something straight..I don't know what is derrogatory or not..

Yank,jap, brit, ruskie,paki etc. etc..

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 03:27 AM
link   
I'm not sure if this is true, but soon after the KMT were chased off to taiwan, didn't they once try to re take the mainland??
I've heard this and it sounds odd so wnated to confirm..

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 03:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Daedalus3
I was very puzzled when i first saw it because i assumed that it was always derrogatory..

Lets get something straight..I don't know what is derrogatory or not..

Yank,jap, brit, ruskie,paki etc. etc..

He called himself it, due to the fact people kept on calling him a "ChickCom" I do believe.

Ruskie, Paki, Jap and Yank are all offencive terms. Most short-hand terms are in fact rude.

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 03:33 AM
link   

Stealthspy and mirza. kept calling me a communist or ChiCom. because they thought that they were so funny.

so i wrote that there to show them that i didn't care. then they stopped.

Remember all those communist jokes they said

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 03:34 AM
link   

I'm not sure if this is true, but soon after the KMT were chased off to taiwan, didn't they once try to re take the mainland??
I've heard this and it sounds odd so wnated to confirm..

they wanted to during the korean war.

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 04:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by chinawhite
I have family there. on both sides.

Ok.

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 06:28 AM
link   

chinawhite:

but still 1996. when chen was making threats about taiwanese independence

Taiwan is independent. They just held an Independence Day celebration on September 8th marking the signing of the SFPT.

Taiwan's Independence Day September 8th !

Long Live a Free Taiwan !

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 06:31 AM
link   
Taiwan doesn't care about China.

China is like a STALKER to Taiwan.

Big ugly STALKER !

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 07:20 AM
link   

You tried to claim that Taiwanese and Chinese spoke the same language. I was simply pointing out that almost on one in Taiwan spoke Mandarin in 1945. You tried to refute that.

Who claimed that? i for sure didn't

On page 146 of this ever growing thread, you said this:

"Taiwanese" and mainlanders have the same history. same script same spoken language.

Taiwanese did NOT have the same spoken language. Almost none of them spoke Mandarin in 1945, it was FORCED on them by the KMT when they illegally took over this island.

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 07:24 AM
link   

On page 146 of this ever growing thread, you said this:
Taiwanese did NOT have the same spoken language. Almost none of them spoke Mandarin in 1945, it was FORCED on them by the KMT when they illegally took over this island.

I said taiwan has the same language now.

and pre-1895. they did speak mardarin.

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 07:34 AM
link   

read earlier in this thread. I believe it was you who made the claim that Taiwanese spoke the same language as Chinese.

I cant find it. you mentioned that educated people spoke it

Gee, and you accuse me of not reading what YOU write. I said that educated people in pre-1945 Taiwan spoke JAPANESE, not Mandarin.

You called me a liar. that is a personal attack. if she cant understand hokkien i suggest she find a different country

Taiwan is her country. Taiwanese is her native language, and I said she couldn't understand HAKKA, not Hokkien (which is really a collection of related languages of the ancient Min nation.) Remember, Hokkien is the old rendering of Fujian.

Of course, ChiComs don't care to which lows they scoop, do they?

Is that a personal attack?

Judge for yourself!

If you don't know what it means, then look it up?

Well how low to you go. Another personal attack

What, asking you to look up a word is now a personal attack?!?!? Wow, I guess I should support your being ignorant? Or would THAT be a personal attack too?

This is also true of later arrivals. Taiwanese generally have darker colored skin than their ancestors in Fujian.

Darker.? if they get any darker than fujianese people they will look like aborininals

I have been to Fujian. Most people there are darker than northerners, but as large numbers of Taiwanese have mixed aboriginal blood, they DO tend to be darker than Fujianese.

A lot of people during the Konxinga came from all over china. running from north to south

Not so many, and those who did were drowned out by the larger numbers of Minnanren who came.

Taiwan wasn't even a country pre-1949

So you are admitting that it IS a country post-1949? Nice of youto FINALLY see reason...

[edit on 2005/9/17 by ludahai]

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
Alrighty then: Lets maintain some decourum and kindly stick to the topic at hand. Personal insults and the like will not be tolerated, nor do they add anything to the discussion at hand.

FredT can you restrain him from his personal attacks.

and from calling me Chicom or ChinkCom.

ChiCom is merely an abbreviation of Chinese Communist. I never called you ChinkCom or used the phrase Chink except in referencing YOUR OWN NAME file!

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 07:45 AM
link   

You are a westerner. now i know where this is coming from.

Disrespectful to chinese culture

No, I don't disrespect Chinese culture. I lived in China and I loved it there. It is China's government over the past fifty years that has done more disrespect and damage to China's culture than this foreigner could EVER do.

I also respect Taiwan and the rights of Taiwan's people to determine their own future without coercion from China or any other country.

Wow! You have been living in Fujian for 700 years?!?!? Keep it up, you will catch up to Methuselah

congrats

Well, you said it.

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Odium
Taiwan:
GDP
purchasing power parity - $576.2 billion (2004 est.)
purchasing power parity - $25,300 (2004 est.) [Per-Person]

China
GDP
purchasing power parity - $7.262 trillion (2004 est.)
purchasing power parity - $5,600 (2004 est.) [Per-Person]

Taken from the C.I.A. factbook.

At the Chinese current growth rate, in 15years they should have a higher income per-person than Taiwan does.

Although per-person income doesn't have to be so high due to the low prices in China, so really with 3/4000 they can survive easily.

One, many economists doubt the validity of PPP.
Two, PPP supposedly takes into account the differences in local prices.
Three, once CHina reaches a higher stage of development, growth will naturally slow. China will not be ablet o maintain such growth figures for fifteen more years. As its economy matures, their growth rate will slow.

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 07:55 AM
link   

I said taiwan has the same language now.

and pre-1895. they did speak mardarin.

That isn't what you said initially, but I will accept the correction.

Mandarin has been forced on the population. People still generally speak Taiwanese if not dealing with Hsinjhumin, Hakka or foreigners like myself (my Mandarin is far better than my Taiwanese)

Pre-1895, only officials and the educated class (a small minority) could speam Mandarin. This was true in China as well as Taiwan.

[edit on 2005/9/17 by ludahai]

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 12:50 PM
link   
www.taipeitimes.com...

This article is very interesting.

From my conversation with other Taiwanese, there are many different opinions.

People that leans toward pan green wants the arm purchase but they feel a sense of powerlessness because the pan blue currently has the slight majority in Legislator Yuan, and pan blue is blocking the bill irrationally.

People that leans toward pan blue thinks that the purchase is too expensive. Some of them don't even trust the Taiwanese military. They think it is a waste of money to invest in national defense.

Frankly I think the pan blue people are brainwashed by KMT in the past and are now misquided by the pan blue media. The pan blue media has made so many false accusations regarding this arm purchase bill in the past few years.

Disregarding US interests, I think the purchases should be made for Taiwan's own good. For example, Taiwan's Navy has been looking to purchase more submarines for so many years, but many European countries that produce them don't want to sell them because of China's pressure. Now there is a chance, and pan blue is blocking the way. From the current situation, the arm purchase will still face many difficulties....

[edit on 17-9-2005 by twchang]

top topics

<< 146  147  148    150  151  152 >>

join