It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can China Invade Taiwan?

page: 140
<< 137  138  139    141  142  143 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I’m not sure.

On the one hand, you have the fact China has repeatedly broken Human Rights [up to the last decade] however, in some respects America does as well and even sometimes the United Kingdom does.

It really comes down to if you think it is in the best interest for the people - in the Mid-1990’s, it would have been a definite no however now I am not so sure. With the Chinese Government introducing low-level direct democracy, their new social inferstructure and the possible peaceful expanse of their Nation it might be for the best. Tibet was/is an oil rich Nation [from what I remember.] and the Westernisation of places we colonize could be more harmful to them then the Chinese Government having control and I think in the long-run, we might be seeing “power-politics” for land.

I myself am hoping, soon the Chinese Government will review its stance on Religion like it did on its prison and begin to change their view - especially with so many Chinese going to Tibet to learn from the monks, etc.

It all really comes down to who would control it through a proxy Government [like a lot of small nations are] and which one would harm the culture more. In the beginning the Chinese did however the changes I think could help the whole region.

If they honestly begin to expand their level of Direct Democracy on moral issues and having a non-elected Government for the non-moral issues, I think could in fact be a good thing for both the people and the world. Although pre-emptive wars, I hope will be a choice by the people and not the Government [Super Majority] but only time will tell.

To me China has shown great promise and I hope they won’t get involved in a large war [or North Korea] because it’ll knock them all backwards and could make it a lot worse then it ever was.

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Yeah but between the UK, US, and China, we're talking China's human rights missives are a magnitude higher order 100 X greater.

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by bodebliss
Yeah but between the UK, US, and China, we're talking China's human rights missives are a magnitude higher order 100 X greater.

The facts of the matter would say under the democratic Government of the U.K. or U.S.A. they have killed more people [without reason] than the Communist Government of China.

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 05:19 PM
link   
so the us and uk have killed our 25+ million of its own people? I dont think so.

If the US did as China then most of Europe including the UK would be US, Japan, tons of Pac islands, both Koreas, Tiawan, Iraq, North Africa, Cuba, the Philopeans, Panama, Grenada, Columbia...etc while inherting all that was GB's too. India, AUs, NZ, South Africa, Malasaia, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Turkey, Ireland..etc would all fall US imperial rule.

While the US could claim china herself if the US acted like the CCP the world would be a totally different world than it is today, think one part Roma and one part Great British Empire with an AMerican twist.

Scary dont you think?

I am thankful the US isnt like that or I would have been sent off to somewhere to put done some up raising, not what I would want to do.

The major question is what is feuling this? The US or CHina or both?

SInce the US buys a lot of Chinese products it makes me wonder if the leadership of the US planned this, knowing the Chinese would built up its military and start to threaten the people around her and the US. The US would then be able to blame the Chinese for building thier military and putting pressure on the US gov to built up the US military. Starting an arms race which could lead to cold war conditions, maybe thats what the Pentagon and Neo-cons wanted?

If this just starting arms race should turn hot it could drain the two counties and allow the much rumored world government to take power and how thus eliminating the two mega powers one a super power and one a hyper power.

Or if could give rise to the Imperial States of America (not a happy thought) with Arnie as president...er..Emporer!

OR it could to nothing just a bunch of hot air to scary people

we may never know or maybe we could find out shorty

china can invade taiwan but could they hold on to if if nations help tiawan and would the chinese do if a insurigentency/freedom fight like aka afghanistan in the 80's, palistine or ireland happened?

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Char2c35t
so the us and uk have killed our 25+ million of its own people? I dont think so.

And where do you get this figure from?

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp

Yeah and that gives you the right to invade and impose your will on its residences?

and for 700years they were under chinese rule.

1970?

is this a joke?

we attacked them not because of land

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Char2c35t
the US could claim Taiwan since it was the US the liberated it not the ccp

the US never even went to taiwan.in WW2 or liberated it

and Tibetians used to be the main population but since the ccp scattered those poor families all over china they are no longer the majority.

and where else in china would you find tibetians.

Chinawhite why dont you leave Aussieland since it seems that you are much more intune with your brothers in china, live the grand chinese life style? If China is so peaceful and grand why are you there and not in the Chinese Army in china?

because Australia has a lot more opputunities. a better lifestyle.

If anyone was saying something bad about australia i would do the same thing

Its great to be proud of your heritage but you take it too the extreme.

not when people are ignorant to the truth. they need to be re-educated.

the ccp is hostile threating its neihbprs I have no doubt if China could get away with taking Siberia, Taiwan and invading Japan they would in a heartbeat.

invade japan for what? it was never part of china. nor is it important.

Why would we need to attack siberia. with green american money we are practically buying siberia

How many times have chinese generals and the government threatened to attack other nations?

Twice. and by the same general.

How many times have Chinese invade and actually kept the land?

None

A cold war maybe hot war is coming and the race arms has already begun I hope the CCP knows what they are getting into but then agian I also hope that they dont.

A arms race.? If it is a arms race. america was the first to throw the punch.

IF China invades Taiwan I hope its a blood bath for the chinese but hey why not go all out and take on japan too!

whose gonna stop us?

you

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by chinawhite
the US never even went to taiwan.in WW2 or liberated it

They sort of did. Their aircrafts flied to Taiwan for bombing runs and spreading propaganda papers.

The US navy was also planing to invade Taiwan (Operation Causeway). They thought the invasion would be risky but if successful it would cut off Japanese supply lines, also gaining grounds and resources for further operations. But the invasion never happened because General McArthur had other plans.

Even though there were no US military occupation, you can consider US the liberator, because the US defeated the Japanese. And from the history I read, many people in Taiwan after WW2 considered that to be true.

[edit on 9-9-2005 by twchang]

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 10:18 PM
link   

well i dont agree with his figures. it proves my point. how can you say that the chinese people are not allow to protest.

Do you deny then the existance of laogai where many protest "leaders" end up for their troubles?

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 10:22 PM
link   

what percentage of chinese eat soybeans? not a lot

what percentage of chinese eat rice? around 50%

Chinese eat a considerable amount of soy products, not whole soybeans generally speaking.

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by twchang

I have to point out Typhoon Talim was significantly weaken after it passes Taiwan's center mountains. New Orleans also has the disadvantage of being under sea level.

And what thanks do we get for being their typhoon shield? 700 missiles aimed at us.

Let's see how they handle Khunan if it DOESN'T hit Taiwan first, which currently seems likely.

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 10:27 PM
link   

only the southern regions of chinese food uses tofu or soybean products. because they are the only regions that grow soybeans.

the overseas chinese (manily from the south) settle into other countries. thats why people make the connection of "chinese" and soybeans

That isn't entirely correct. I lived in northern China and saw a lot of soy based products living in SHandong.

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 10:31 PM
link   

there is a comparision to be made.

the chinese government acted a lot faster than the american government and kept the situtation under control.

or are you denying this?

When Talim hit Fujian, it was barely even a typhoon. It is our country as a category three typhoon. HUGE difference. Katrina his New Orleans as a CATEGORY FOUR hurricane.

There is NO difference. Again, let's see how China handles Khunan if it hits China without the country of Taiwan acting as its shield.

[edit on 2005/9/9 by ludahai]

la2

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 10:31 PM
link   
at the end of the day Bejing has 350,000 troops stationed opposite Taiwan, when China wants it she will go get it.

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Daedalus3
Actually china has more claim to vietnam or tibet, even taiwan, than the US does to occupy Iraq..

China wants to KEEP the territories it will take. The U.S. will NOT keep Iraq.

China has no claim to Taiwan. It signed away its claim to Taiwan in 1895.

Tibet was an indepenent country as late as 1949 and the Chinese one thousand year rule of Viet Nam ended more than a thousand years ago.

They also claim the entire East China Sea and South China Sea basins, again with no legal justification.

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 10:39 PM
link   

we conqured and we stayed.
. we didn't leave hundreds of years ago

Actually, it was the MONGOLS who conquered Tibet, and the Ming DIDN't stay. The MANCHU's then conquered it,and again when the Manchu's fell, Tibet reasserted its indepedence.

1950 is the first time genuinely Chinese armies conquered Tibet.

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 10:40 PM
link   
He's right, China is unable to invade Taiwan. The good question is though, when it does, are we going to be able to stop the millions of troops that would invade. An even better question is could we stop the billiob more that would come as a result. The answer is not without the UN, and these days I'd say we could count them out. China's success is bad for Americans. If Political Scientists are right in that China's ecomomy will surpass ours within 15 years, well its a slap in the face to capitalists and freedom all over the world. The sad thing is that unlike the cold war, we won;t have the upper edge.

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by NUKE_BOOOSTER

Tibet, Taiwan and Vietnam belongs to China from history. Iraq never belong to US, neither do Alaska from history.

*Removed vague comments about another member's parents.*

[edit on 9-9-2005 by dbates]

That argument does't work with Taiwan. Taiwan didn't become a part of the same state polity as China until 1683 when the MANCHUS conquered Taiwan, FOUR DECADES after they conquered China. In 1895, those very same Manchus ceded Taiwan to Japan. No legally binding treaty has been signed since assigning sovereign control of Taiwan to China.

The MANCHU's ruled Taiwan, NOT the Chinese.

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by twchang

They sort of did. Their aircrafts flied to Taiwan for bombing runs and spreading propaganda papers.

Im not going to make this long.

Sending propaganda is not liberatoin

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by ludahai
Chinese eat a considerable amount of soy products, not whole soybeans generally speaking.
That isn't entirely correct. I lived in northern China and saw a lot of soy based products living in SHandong

yeah but as a percentage.

And northern foods use soysauce or soy beans?

And what thanks do we get for being their typhoon shield? 700 missiles aimed at us.
Let's see how they handle Khunan if it DOESN'T hit Taiwan first, which currently seems likely.

A shield? thats a new one.

When Talim hit Fujian, it was barely even a typhoon. It is our country as a category three typhoon. HUGE difference. Katrina his New Orleans as a CATEGORY FOUR hurricane.

its 10km difference between a CATEGORY 4 and 3. is that a big difference

There is NO difference. Again, let's see how China handles Khunan if it hits China without the country of Taiwan acting as its shield.

china evaucated them before it struck.

It wouldn't have made any difference.

China has no claim to Taiwan. It signed away its claim to Taiwan in 1895.

then the KMT also signed away their claim to taiwan

Tibet was an indepenent country as late as 1949

And most parts of mainland china during that time was a independent country

and the Chinese one thousand year rule of Viet Nam ended more than a thousand years ago.

who said vietnam was part of china.

They also claim the entire East China Sea and South China Sea basins, again with no legal justification.

No. under the discovery law

new topics

top topics

<< 137  138  139    141  142  143 >>

join