It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can China Invade Taiwan?

page: 136
<< 133  134  135    137  138  139 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
There's talk now that because the Federal Government and their assets were only in a supporting role to the State they could not take charge and get things done faster. So now the governor and the white house are debating on who is going to control the National Guard and the rebuilding effort.

IMO it should be the Feds, they should have had the full authority from the start.

lol...It is not as easy as what you had thought. It takes years to rebuild, not a month.

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Who said it would take months to rebuild? And I don't get what you find funny about it.

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Odium

This is the same thing but on a much larger scale yet the American Government are willing to turn down help from Russia [helicopters], Cuba [doctors], etc...

LOL, I can understand why they turned down Russian helicopters. The damn things drop out of the sky like rain.

The Chinese Government did what had to be done. They moved the people who needed saving. The American Government didn't and is still making a mess of the whole thing.

Hmm lol, you act as though the Chinese government does things overnight. This is ridiculous, they take far more time to marshal their resources than it has taken the US in New Orleans. Let's not forget these comaprisons are absolutely stupid as no major chinese population centers are below sea water. The last major Chinese natural disasters illed between 500 000 and 1 million people in the 1970's ( 2 earthquakes ).

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 03:25 PM
link   
...and FEMA should have been ready for such an emergency. In fact they had a few days to get ready for it, so it shows even more mistakes.

Also the Russian Helicopters they would have been offered would have been the ones they use in Siberia for search and rescue and within the rest of Russia.

...and to be honest, do they have the choice to turn them down?

The Russian's are willing to put their own pilots and helicopters at their own expense in America to help save lives. That's all that should matter.

Saving lives.

source
MI-8MPS SEARCH AND RESCUE HELICOPTER
The Mi-8MPS search and rescue helicopter was developed from the military transport helicopter. In rescue missions, the helicopter crew drop radio-beacons to mark the distress area and deliver rescue teams to aid and recover the casualties. The helicopter can lift ten people at a time on a sling via a PSN-10 life raft and is also provided with an emergency landing device that ensures buoyancy for up to 30 minutes in the event it is forced to ditch at sea.

The Mi-8MPS incorporates specific modifications for search and rescue missions within its fuselage, including two starboard hatches, a raft container, a larger entrance door and external additional fuel tanks. Additional equipment includes YuR-40.1 radar system, TAPAS thermal search, PNKV-8PS pilot/navigation system and rescue equipment, an airborne jib with LPG-300 winch and scoop

[edit on 5/9/2005 by Odium]

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 04:55 PM
link   
America hasnt turned down help...I mean the UK alone sent 50000 rat packs to there.

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp
America hasnt turned down help...I mean the UK alone sent 50000 rat packs to there.

But they've not accepted it from Cuba, Venusula[sp], etc. Who could get it to them in a matter of hours.

The Cuban Government offered 1000 doctors. That's a lot and they are needed at a time like this. So why haven't they been accepted?

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 05:23 PM
link   

But they've not accepted it from Cuba, Venusula[sp], etc. Who could get it to them in a matter of hours.

The UK can reach the US in a matter of hours.
8 to be precise.
Cuba is not an ally and frankly I dont think they trust them.

The Cuban Government offered 1000 doctors. That's a lot and they are needed at a time like this. So why haven't they been accepted?

Who knows, all I'm doing is pointing out the facts.

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Didn't America offer help to Iran after the last earth quake and Iran accept it?

Surely they can make an exception and just say "Cuba, etc, can help and we need it so let's let them?"

They have to remember a human life is more important than World Leader's dislike for one another.

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 11:40 PM
link   

...and FEMA should have been ready for such an emergency. In fact they had a few days to get ready for it, so it shows even more mistakes.

Also the Russian Helicopters they would have been offered would have been the ones they use in Siberia for search and rescue and within the rest of Russia.

Hmm last I heard which was about a week ago, all MI-8 helicopters wee grounded due to 2 crashes within a couple of days. This was because the MI-8 fleet is so old it has reached the end of its service life.

Yeah sure send them over, just don't use them

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Umm.. no the Mi-8 etc helos do just fine in countries like India, China etc..
The recent tsunami and floods are a testament to that..

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 01:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Daedalus3
Umm.. no the Mi-8 etc helos do just fine in countries like India, China etc..
The recent tsunami and floods are a testament to that..

LOL, well when you can't afford anything else, then you have no choice. Let's face it the MI-8 is a very outdated helicopter and if countries had more money they'd buy something else lol.
I'm sure MI-8's have crashed more than a few times in India, but then again hardly big news over there or here lol

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by rogue1

Hmm last I heard which was about a week ago, all MI-8 helicopters wee grounded due to 2 crashes within a couple of days. This was because the MI-8 fleet is so old it has reached the end of its service life.

Yeah sure send them over, just don't use them

The Mi-8MPS is the newer version and isn't grounded.

The ones that crashed were out-dated models but not Mi-8MPS versions.

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 02:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp

How dare you use natural disasters to further your arguement, I hope all chinese dont think like that.

how dare you .......lol

your so funny. take me post out of context.

I wont try and argue with you about the pros and cons of a fake "comunism" , thats for another argument for another day.

well chian is moving away from communism. i hope that happens. more towards a parliamentary republic

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 02:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Daedalus3
But I suspect the problem would be present in the commie hierarchy as well, maybe even more severe..
Is that what happened in News Orleans..Lack of rescue/relief autonomy?

the problem is that the americans ordered relief to late.

china saw that Typhoon Talim was coming and immediately evacuated the area.

what were the americans planning to do. wait it out?

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by chinawhite

Originally posted by HowlrunnerIV

Three Gorges is on the Yangtze?

yes it is. the water would need to travel 600miles to reach any of chians neighbours. that is the minimum distance

Interesting...I wonder why they were so focused on 3 Gorges then...I stand by my post, 3 Gorges and a possible Taiwanese attack is what was mentioned...Perhaps they were thinking of something else, or perhaps they were confusing 3 Gorges with an as-yet-unbuilt mega dam on the Mekong...

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 02:44 AM
link   

the problem is that the americans ordered relief to late.

china saw that Typhoon Talim was coming and immediately evacuated the area.

what were the americans planning to do. wait it out?

Yeah americans are used to their massive intake of food each day, what is it 11 000 calories, whereas give a person in China a bowl of rice and he's happy. Intresting how many of these ' poor ' in NO are massively obese

Americans expect things to happen instantly, they have no patience. The Chinese are very patient and are used to being told what to do.

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 02:47 AM
link   

The last major Chinese natural disasters illed between 500 000 and 1 million people in the 1970's ( 2 earthquakes ).

the death toll was actually under 242,000

the problem that earthquake was one of the biggest ever. followed by another one a little bit smaller 15 hours later.

the first one struck in 3 something in the moring. when everyone was a sleep. and the area around it is mountinous and the rescue workers mainly using their hands to pick up the rubble.

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 02:49 AM
link   

the death toll was actually under 242,000

LOL, yes officially. Everyone knows including the UN that the death toll as much higher. We know what the Chicomms are like with figures

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 02:55 AM
link   

LOL, yes officially. Everyone knows including the UN that the death toll as much higher. We know what the Chicomms are like with figures

could say the same thing about the US

you cant hide the deaths of 350,000-750,000. it doesn't matter what type of government you have

[edit on 6-9-2005 by chinawhite]

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 03:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by HowlrunnerIV
Interesting...I wonder why they were so focused on 3 Gorges then...I stand by my post, 3 Gorges and a possible Taiwanese attack is what was mentioned...Perhaps they were thinking of something else, or perhaps they were confusing 3 Gorges with an as-yet-unbuilt mega dam on the Mekong...

we weren't talking about a taiwanese attack on the three gorges dam.

you started if off with this

How about moving whole communities so you can build the world's largest hydro-electric dam, which even before it is finished is experiencing problems (and which some traditional Chinese are equating to "waking the dragon"), which will have a massive negative impact on nations downstream?

The three gorges dam is massive. you need more than one bomb to blow it up.

its at least 50meters wide.

upload.wikimedia.org...

new topics

top topics

<< 133  134  135    137  138  139 >>

join