It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can China Invade Taiwan?

page: 101
<< 98  99  100    102  103  104 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Taishyou
Don't confuse single party vs. multi party with authoritarianism vs. democracy

In democracy the citizens are supposed to have a say in the decision making process of the government in most if not all issues that it faces. In that aspect, China isn't that much different from many other "democratic" countries. The US government doesn't let citizens vote on issues they face does it? Did it seek the people's permission before going to war with Iraq?

What is different between China and some "democratic" country is that while others are two-party or multi-party, China is single-party.

This doesn't make too much of a difference, however. In single party, the party needs to make lies to stay in power. In multi-party, the parties need to make lies and make other parties look bad in order to stay in power, and the party with more funds to make propaganda has better chance of winning.

Multi-parties also have many inconveniences and flaws during election. For example, here in Canada, Liberals and PC are most popular while a third party NDP has small popularity (and some other tiny parties doesn't matter). If I want to vote for NDP (left wing), I end up helping PC (right wing) by hurting the Liberals (centre wing). wtf is this!

The U.S. government's job is to protect the U.S., which is why it went into Iraq. To allow the ignorant masses which are informed by a biased, liberal media, to make such decisions would be ludicrous. We are not a pure democracy here. Democracy in a large population is when the mob is in charge. We are a representative democracy, a republic. If the people don't like what a politician does, they vote him out in the next election.

[edit on 23-7-2005 by EngineMan2145]

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 09:43 PM
link   
i donn't thik so. first of all,it's not invasion. maybe you should learn more knowledges about china and taiwan. if some states want to be a independent country from US. how about the answer.

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 11:01 PM
link   
"no. it was a civil war. up till 1996.taiwan claimed mainland china. now is this double standards.? "

china white,

your confusing the KMT's action and rule w/ Taiwan.

Taiwan has never been under the control of the CCP and it was not given over to the KMT, It was ruled by an emporer for 5 years and ceded to Japan how much did the chinese emporers really care about Taiwan then.

Money money money is all that the CCP cares about. They don't want Taiwan they just want to bleed it dry. Like they've done to Hong Kong.

"do they even have deplotmatic relations. like a embassy of some sort "

They have big complex and high level officials in Taiwan andjust past a law to let Taiwans president visit and address congress.

The complex is called AIT look it up on the web, Deny Ingnorance.

[edit on 7/23/2005 by bodebliss]

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by bodebliss
your confusing the KMT's action and rule w/ Taiwan.

Taiwan has never been under the control of the CCP and it was not given over to the KMT, It was ruled by an emporer for 5 years and ceded to Japan how much did the chinese emporers really care about Taiwan then.

taiwan since 1670something has been part of china. but settlers from china had been there ages ago.

it was part of fujian province but latter got seperated to become one more of chinas provinces.

those weren't even han chinese. if they didn't hand over taiwan china would have to give up northern china because they lost the first sino-japanese war.

a very sad time for chinese

Money money money is all that the CCP cares about. They don't want Taiwan they just want to bleed it dry. Like they've done to Hong Kong.

MONEY?? is that all you can up with. the CCP was claiming taiwan even before taiwan was in KMT hands. they stil claimed taiwan before taiwan had any economic value.

tell me in 1949 how much taiwans GDP was?

what else does china want from taiwan. they dont want money. taiwanese investors have already invested a ery very large deal of money into mainland china manufacturing through places like hong kong.

They have big complex and high level officials in Taiwan andjust past a law to let Taiwans president visit and address congress.

The complex is called AIT look it up on the web, Deny Ingnorance.

i already know that. i deliberately asked for a embassy. it might smell look and feel like one. but its not.

is passing a law still diplomatic relations?

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Okay guys this thread has to stop its past 2000 replies , I mean come on! He had a couple of questions and I'm sure they were answered in 2000 replies!

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 06:22 PM
link   
The title of this thread should be changed to

"Anything you ever wanted to discuss about China, Taiwan, CCP, KMT, DDP, US Navy, types of government, US bases in Asia pacific regions, geopolitics, and much more"

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp

Originally posted by zcheng

I do not doubt the bombing capability of B2.

When a thing is about a mile long, it can be easily spotted, targeted and destroyed, and much more difficult to defend. It is common sense.

it has like 2 carrier groups with it.
its got fighters stationed on it,even with your air force it can stage far longer range than any of your bombers hell farther than any bomber i am pretty sure with out refueling,but that requires a tanker and a tnaker is a sitting duck. you gota admit a refueling tanker pilot must have one of the most hazardous jobs in a war zone.

I used to be in the Air Force. Have you ever flown with a tanker group? I have, and let me tell you this; It's an airborne armada. It's usually accompanied by a minimum of 4 fighters and an AWACS.

The tanker can refuel itself and all the other aircraft. The fighters rotate in and out by the pairs, the Tanker and AWACS have two crews. One sleeps, and the other does their duties.

China does not have the capability to attack Taiwan. If it did, I can tell you the 24 bombers here on Guam (oh yea, Guam is only three hours away) and 24 fighters stationed here would have something to say about it. Not to mention the 10,000 marines, 4 nuclear subs and ABG.

That's just Guam. I am sure they could slow the Chinese advance while troops are redirected from Japan and Korea. Yes Korea, as they want to declare a formal truce. Yup, Krazy Kim wants that, as long as the U.S. promises that no regime change will take place. He'll get that as we have no interest in overthrowing him, we just want to verify thats his nulcear components don't fall into anyone elses hands.

Then there is Australia, think they will allow such an act so close to their borders? I don't, in fact I know they won't stand for it.

Also, you could expect 100,000 of the 140,000 troops in Iraq to be relocated, as the U.S. Army has stated thats all they need, they just don't want to pull out yet as it would look like they are caving to the demand's of terrrorists.

Sorry, China has to play nice or the playground bully will take their lunch money.

[edit on 25-7-2005 by crisko]

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by crisko
24 bombers here on Guam (oh yea, Guam is only three hours away) and 24 fighters stationed here would have something to say about it. Not to mention the 10,000 marines, 4 nuclear subs and ABG.

Uh... that's not a lot... maybe except for the nuclear subs but you can be sure politicians on both sides are sensible enough not to shoot nukes at each other as both of them have enough to kill each other.

Yes Korea, as they want to declare a formal truce. Yup, Krazy Kim wants that, as long as the U.S. promises that no regime change will take place. He'll get that as we have no interest in overthrowing him, we just want to verify thats his nulcear components don't fall into anyone elses hands.

Truce, maybe, but if you're suggesting DPRK is going to allow US troops to step on its soil... I don't think that's likely. Besides, if US ever enters China, then it would be a direct war, maybe declared too. Then all the countries that hate the US would help China, all the countries that hate China joins the US, then we'd have WWIII!

Then there is Australia, think they will allow such an act so close to their borders?

um... Taiwan is not close to Australia's borders
And what exactly does Australia care?

[edit on 25-7-2005 by Taishyou]

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 11:27 PM
link   
From what I gather Australia doesn't like China and Indonesia too much..

Also they have some Pcific rim pact with the US

Anyways the year is 2005 and the thread post count is 2007 already!!

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 02:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zife
Sorry Zcheng I was wrong about the 35 million, not like you would state that you were wrong.

People's Republic of China, Mao Zedong's regime (1949-1975): 40 000 000

* Agence France Press (25 Sept. 1999) citing at length from Courtois, Stephane, Le Livre Noir du Communism:
o Rural purges, 1946-49: 2-5M deaths
o Urban purges, 1950-57: 1M
o Great Leap Forward: 20-43M
o Cultural Revolution: 2-7M
o Labor Camps: 20M
o Tibet: 0.6-1.2M
o TOTAL: 44.5 to 72M

i totally agree with u. as a DEMOCRATIC chinese born in malaysia, (u may not know where it is,a country stuck between singapore and thailand!) i can"t beleive people would still support a government that kills its own people. i feel so lucky to NOT be a citizen of that 'country'.i think that china is a disgrace to us NON COMMUNISTS chinese abroad.

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 02:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Daedalus3

Also they have some Pcific rim pact with the US

You are incorrect, China is a very important ( if not the most important ) trading partner for Australia. So much so that when a Chinese diplomat tried to defect the other week with information about the CSIS ( Chinese Secret Intelligence Service ) operations in Australia, he was pretty much ignored for fear of disrupting our relationship with China.

On the other hand though, the Chinese are pissed that we are partners in the Missile Defence Shield with the US. They have warned us a few times about this.

What I find interesting as a person who travels to China regularly is that the people have no animosity towards Australia and the US. It is only the government who likes to rattle the sabre, as they can when they don'y have to answer to the people.

[edit on 26-7-2005 by rogue1]

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 02:33 AM
link   
nuclear subs don't only carry nukes.There are tomahawk missiles,for your information. and the only thing shorty kim wants is luxury.do you really think that he will fight till his death to defend his 'EMPIRE'.reports said that shorty kim loves american cigars and movies.i don't think shorty kim will sacrifice all this luxury fighting a war with the americans

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 03:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Daedalus3

where did you gather that info

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 03:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by rogue1
So much so that when a Chinese diplomat tried to defect the other week with information about the CSIS ( Chinese Secret Intelligence Service ) operations in Australia, he was pretty much ignored for fear of disrupting our relationship with China.

he was given a visa. which is what he wanted.

he was living in sydney and what from i read he moved to melbourne for hiding.

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by rogue1
What I find interesting as a person who travels to China regularly is that the people have no animosity towards Australia and the US. It is only the government who likes to rattle the sabre, as they can when they don'y have to answer to the people.

[edit on 26-7-2005 by rogue1]

Well that indeed is the case with americans travelling to china as well, but here we're talking about govt. policy we we say "australia" / "china" etc. etc.
Sabre rattling is not a gesture of amicability now is it?

India and Pakistan do it all the time.. Most of the masses of these tow countires may not hate/dislike each other but the "countries" as such are not fond of each other

And about Indonesia..no need to say much!!

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 11:04 AM
link   
China can invade Taiwan any time, but is unlikely to do that soon. There has been no balance of arms between the straits since mid-90's. Now China has the capability of wipe out organized resistances in in Taiwan in 36 hour. Most of the Taiwan fighter jets (Even those hide in caves), communications, power, water, port facilities, base, rader networks, would be knocked out within the first few hours of the war. Any large troops would be destroyed by deadly bombs only next to full-fledged NK bomb.
The US military might is a concern, but is not the biggest fact for China in deciding if and when to draw the guns. China had fought direct or indirect wars with the US, and never lost one. In addition, China has been watching US military adventures around the world for many year, and has draw the conclusion that the US can only win the insymitrical wars like in Iraq and Afganistan. If the US does intervine, China will make sure that the war is fought on equal footing, or let's say any American aircraft or missile would no longer be invisible, and NK strikes would be answered and retaliated. China is almost there, not 100%, but close.
The US still have many advanced weapons that China doesn't have, but China also has a number of Assassin's maces that the American don't even know.
To bad that Taiwan may bring China and the US into a major conflict that could lead the world into a dark age. Don't know who is wrong and who is right, that can only be judge by results.
China IS capable of taking Taiwan anytime from now, but the country has a habit of always preparing for the worst, that's why it's military, especially the NK capability keeps growing fast.
Many people like to quote "China menace". But few like to admit that China has its own security concerns (Taiwan being the biggest one). Now the US "defencive arms" is right on China's door step, but few would bother to ask how Chinese feel. If there is such a menace, then that is exclusively targeted at Taiwan independent forces and possible foreign interventions, not the other peaceful neighbors.
The US has a agenda, to pitch China and Japan against each other, every educated Chinese know about it. Is it going to work? don't know. After all, Chinese does hate Japanese. To the US, Japan is just a tained dog, but I bet no one can be sure if Japan will turn into wolf again.
If China fought with Japan over Taiwan issue, I am sure it would be a fight that can only have one survivor. China would use NK if she felt that the war could not be won by conventional ways. Then the ball would be in the US's court, should they give JPs NKs? I guess yes. But I doubt Japan could survive, while China probably can.
NMD&TMD? to me, they don't have much weight at this stage. The theory of using bullets to hit bullets is foundamentally flawed. The future laser weapons will be far more effective. Fortunately, China lead the US in this area for 3 or 5 years. When laser weapons systems are widely in use in both the US and China, both will get new headaches, the American's more serious - the value of their NK deterance will be seriously discounted.

I wish the US and China never fight each other again. If the war started, it would not be possible to controll the duration and scale, not even the US. If the US think they can just copy the strategy and tactics in Iraq and Yugoslavia and win a air campain against China, they will be making a huge mistake. The US will find their satelite down, Aircraft carriers sunk, planes lost in the most dense air-defence fire ever in human history, and Taiwan will fall - it's just less than 150 miles from China and can't walk away.

Puri
----from China

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 12:38 PM
link   
It would be rather foolish of the PRC to even try taking Taiwan. The Soviets would be up their backside in a flash and they would have a two front war going on. Besides, they would have to destroy the very thing they covet in order to take it. Further, insurrection would break out in Tibet and before long the Indians and Chinese would be at it as well. It would quickly turn into a true armageddon situation and China would end up utterly destroyed--along with the rest of the world.

[edit on 1-8-2005 by Astronomer68]

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by puri
I don't know for sure CHina has enough logistic support to take Taiwan.
China does not have the logistics to transport its forces to Taiwan. Few transport ships and few transport planes.

Originally posted by puri
But I know Chinese pilots' training aren't as bad as you think.

Your pilots are as bad as I claim. You remember that American surveillance plane you commies were so happy about bringing down? You want to know how that happened? One of your pilots rant into the American plane.

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 12:50 PM
link   
The Straits of Taiwan are only about 100 miles wide. You don't need to mass forces in Taiwan to invade. It's almost close enough to throw hand-grenades across (In 21st century terms) from China's point of view.

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Your pilots are as bad as I claim. You remember that American surveillance plane you commies were so happy about bringing down? You want to know how that happened? One of your pilots rant into the American plane.

Not as bad as you claim. As for the ramming accident, it only tells that Chinese pilots are trained in a diferrent way from the American pilots. I think both you and I should not judge them hastely.

new topics

top topics

<< 98  99  100    102  103  104 >>

join