It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The little things that make a crisis easier to deal with.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
CX

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Tonight i spent a couple of minutes sewing some elastic loops on the side of all of my hurricane lamps.

"Why did you do this CX you sad man?" i hear you cry.

The last time we had power cuts here, i have lent a few people some of my hurricane lamps. Two minutes later i've had a call asking if i had anything to light them with.
I stupidly thought most people would have at least a lighter or matches tucked away in the house to light them with. Silly me.

In the middle of a power cut, it could be a pain in the backside sorting these out if you weren't organised, so now i have a lighter permanently attatched to each lamp.
Just taped a length of paracord to the lighter, then tied it to the lamp. It will be handy for me and the kids as well as anyone who needs one quick.

Nothing fancy but something that i know will come in handy.

So does anyone else have any little tips that they want to share? Even if they seem silly like the one above, sometimes the most bizzare tips can be handy when things go pearshaped.

CX.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

The only decent tip i have is ......

when looking for tips checkout CX......pure unadulterated genius .

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 08:48 PM
link   
I've found that having reading material or board(?) games really helps to pass the time. After all if you are in a situation that lasts long enough, anything that can take your mind off the problem helps.

CX

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by max100
reply to post by CX

The only decent tip i have is ......

when looking for tips checkout CX......pure unadulterated genius .

Lol i promise you that most of thips i will share are ones learnt from my many mistakes.

CX.

CX

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by JDBlack
I've found that having reading material or board(?) games really helps to pass the time. After all if you are in a situation that lasts long enough, anything that can take your mind off the problem helps.

Very true.

I have at least a pack of cards and a notepad and pen in all of our BOB's, plus a whole library of games in my head i can use.

CX.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by JDBlack

I have coloring books,crayons,markers,board games,
football,soccer ball,basketball,peanut butter,chocolate,
coffee and tea.
Have to keep the kids' happy and busy.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   
If the situation is really bad, have a stock of cafinated, sugar packed, tabaco, and alcoholic, etc., items so that you don't end up detoxing from all the modern conviences that you use in dayly life. Going from having these items to not overnight can really really suck, from even a limited (no booze or tabaco) perspective. Ween yourself off of your (hopefully mild) addiction to above conveineces and simmilar things and you will be more functional.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   
I keep at least one 12 volt marine battery fully charged at all times. I have a small light wired to gator clips and use it during extended power outages. I also use a battery clip cigarette plug adapter to hook up to the battery and then use a inverter to turn it into AC power. I don't use anything big that will draw a lot of juice from the battery. I'll use it to charge my cell phone, laptop battery and to recharge my AA and AAA batteries. I like keeping plenty batteries charged for flashlights and radios. Keeping marine batteries charged will give you some options.

Another small thing I do is keep an extra cell phone battery and will swap them out during an emergency. It's easier carrying an extra battery than a charger

CX

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 02:40 AM
link   
Some great suggestions here, thank you.

Originally posted by mamabeth
reply to post by JDBlack

I have coloring books,crayons,markers,board games,
football,soccer ball,basketball,peanut butter,chocolate,
coffee and tea.
Have to keep the kids' happy and busy.

Very true.

I keep a small colouring book, crayons and a tiny teddy in my backpack when i go on long train journeys, many a time i've kept a kid from screaming the whole train down for a six hour train journey up country.

CX.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 04:55 AM
link   
Lighting = lamps, bunch of candles, a dozen of lighter, at least 5 flashlights (battery and hand-crank).
Communication = three hand-crank and battery emergency radio, four 2 ways radio.
Bunch of survival gears
covering from hunting to self defense.
Pencils, papers, and binocular.
Survival manualS (at least 5)
A few journals - covering from UFO, ET species, conspiracy theories, to mythology and mythical creatures.
And books, lot of books.....I like reading

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 05:04 AM
link   
Check these out CX..
www.amazon.com...

Called a lighter leash.
I actually use mine for a couple of different keys..And for a lighter in my camping kit.
The lighter slides into the rubber boot..And it really stays in there.
When we camp...It's always on my hip..With the retractable line, you let go, and it's right back on the hip.

Yours it better, due to the mother of invention quality though.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 06:21 AM
link   
reply to post by JDBlack

I don't smoke,or drink alcohol,I have cut
down on caffeine too! Now,chocolate and
sugar,those are tough addictions! Don't
forget the salt to counterbalance the sugar
rush!
It is a vicious cycle,the salt and sugar one.
I have cut down on potato chips and started
using sea salt.

CX

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt
Check these out CX..
www.amazon.com...

Called a lighter leash.
I actually use mine for a couple of different keys..And for a lighter in my camping kit.
The lighter slides into the rubber boot..And it really stays in there.
When we camp...It's always on my hip..With the retractable line, you let go, and it's right back on the hip.

Yours it better, due to the mother of invention quality though.

Thats great, thanks for that link, i've not seen those before.

Just stuck a 12 hr glow stick on the side of each lamp too, now i have warmth and extra light all in one. These will make a great little gift for someone in winter to keep in the cupboard.

CX.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

I need to rig a lamp up like that one. Or more than 1. Having a supply of fuel for thoes lamps (5 gallons per lamp) probably should be another consideration. How well do they do in the wind, rain, etc?

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I'm a big fan of those emergency lights you plug in, so that when the power is out, they come on, and you can see your way around the house, to GET to the other supplies you need.

Also, keep a flashlight by the bed, so you can see where you're going. I do this so as not to bother my wife by turning on the light, if I need to get out of bed for any reason, during the night.

CX

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by JDBlack
reply to post by CX

I need to rig a lamp up like that one. Or more than 1. Having a supply of fuel for thoes lamps (5 gallons per lamp) probably should be another consideration. How well do they do in the wind, rain, etc?

To be honest i'm not sure how they are outside.

Next bit of wind i get here, i'll check them out.

I don't think they are waterproof though and the top gets very hot so covering it wouldn't be an option. Will have a think about that one.

CX.

CX

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
I'm a big fan of those emergency lights you plug in, so that when the power is out, they come on, and you can see your way around the house, to GET to the other supplies you need.

Also, keep a flashlight by the bed, so you can see where you're going. I do this so as not to bother my wife by turning on the light, if I need to get out of bed for any reason, during the night.

Not sure i've heard of those lamps Gazrok? They plug into the electric socket for when theres no power?

I keep a torch in each room too, my daughters have one each hanging by the side of their beds too.

This week i am going to buy some hooks, nice ornamental ones if i can and place one in each room and a couple in my hallways. This way i have an automatic safe hanging bracket for these lanterns should they be needed in a power cut.

I'm not too keen on myself or the kids walking about the house with a fuel filled lantern.

If they are ornamental they will just look like a nice wall fitting, and not a madman.

CX.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

I know what he's talkin about. These lamps have rechargeable batteries and when they stop getting power from the outlet they turn on and provide some light. Some of them also serve as flashlights. They work very well.
edit on 8-12-2010 by JDBlack because: Left out some info

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 11:08 PM
link   
A metal wash basin.... to put water in and get hot...so you can soak your tired feet in.

An old time coffee pot to cook coffee over an open fire.

An extra change of socks...dry and good fitting.

Bullion cubes...makes even wild garlic and roots taste good.

A wind up radio... news is important, but late in the evening...music is good.

Good toilet paper... nuf said.

Pop Tarts... easy to keep, light weight, good in cold or hot...best with above coffee...

All of these made many hardships and crisis much more bearable

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   

I know what he's talkin about. These lamps have rechargeable batteries and when they stop getting power from the outlet they turn on and provide some light. Some of them also serve as flashlights. They work very well.

Exactly it. We have a staircase, and the only windows are up high. At night, it's dark without those lights, but if a power outage, it's pitch black.... We originally got them for hurricane season, but they've been great ever since.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join