It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Leaks expose US and UK fears over Pakistan nuclear arms

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Leaks expose US and UK fears over Pakistan nuclear arms

www.bbc.co.uk

US and UK diplomats feared Pakistan's nuclear material could fall into the hands of terrorists, the latest leaked classified US diplomatic cables reveal.

The documents, released by Wikileaks, warn that Pakistan is rapidly building its nuclear stockpile despite the country's growing instability.

Meanwhile, the US State Department says it has "temporarily severed" one of its databases from a military network.

The move is part of efforts to stop another mass leak of diplomatic cables.

In one of the latest cables to be released by Wikileaks, senior UK Foreign Office official Mariot
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   
The latest greatest WLeaks story, and this one could have serious implications. I have always said these leaks were good as it's the truth and we all want the truth right?

I'm starting to think that somethings going to come out and its going to force someones hand, and it's going to provoke something none of us want.

Hmm, until the next leak.

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   
What concerns me is Pakistan are already deep in the Al Queda camp, whether they admitt it or not, and they have a considerable nuclear material stockpile, how long is it before we go from worrying about these people haveing dirty bombs, or suitcase nukes, to having full blown brown trouser devices? As it says on the BBC site, 120,000-130,000 people work for the atomic industry in Pakistan, and now these leaks are out, production by the few who MAY work for the terrorists might be forced to speed up their jobs.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   
It certainly feels like these cables are setting up the usual suspect for what is to come..
and I don't think it's going to be nice..

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

Of course we all want the truth, but not at the expense of National Security.
But National Security is an all too convenient cover for governments and Security Services to hide behind and lie, mislead, manipulate and control.

I don't think this will come as any great suprise.
The prospect of Pakistan's nuclear arsenal falling into the hands of The Taliban or other extremists scares the crap out of me as I'm sure it does to India as well.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   

The cables also revealed that:

• Small teams of US special forces have been operating secretly inside Pakistan's tribal areas, with the approval of the Pakistani government, while senior ministers have privately supported American drone attacks.

• The ambassador starkly informed Washington that "no amount of money" from the US would stop the Pakistani army backing Islamist militants and the Afghan Taliban insurgency.

• The US concluded that Pakistani troops were responsible for a spate of extrajudicial killings in the Swat Valley and tribal belt but decided not to comment publicly to allow the army to take action on its own.

• Diplomats in Islamabad were asked by the Pentagon to survey refugee camps on the Afghan border, possibly for air strike targeting information.

• The president, Asif Ali Zardari – whose wife, Benazir Bhutto was assassinated – has made extensive preparations in case he too is killed, and once told the US vice-president, Joe Biden, that he feared the military "might take me out".

www.guardian.co.uk...

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

Yeah, that’s what I'm getting at, if the governments could deal with this stuff behind closed doors, and the terrorists and their accomplices feel even slightly comfortable, then there is no need for them to get something nasty off the production line.

Now the world knows, deadlines will be set, that’s assuming anything’s even going on, but it’s a scary thought.

If WLeaks are going to leak stuff, then let it be stuff we need to know about our government’s crimes, not something which could get a load of people killed or wounded.

As you say national security, and that, for the most part is more important.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   
We all know since bush named the three we now have some additions to the list... Pakistan and Yemen. Not really suprising at all that this very obvious notion has been so called "leaked".

"Axis of Evil" as described by George W. Bush:
1. Iraq
2. North Korea
3. Iran
"Beyond the Axis of Evil" as described by John R. Bolton:
1. Cuba
2. Libya
3. Syria
"Outposts of Tyranny" as described by Condoleezza Rice:
1. Belarus
2. Zimbabwe
3. Myanmar

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Soshh

Oh hell, thats even more serious than I thought, cheers for posting, that bit's not on the Beeb site. So is this saying they are suspecting the whole of Pakistan could be a major Al Queda stronghold? Terrifying thought.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn

Of course we all want the truth, but not at the expense of National Security.
But National Security is an all too convenient cover for governments and Security Services to hide behind and lie, mislead, manipulate and control.

I don't think this will come as any great suprise.
The prospect of Pakistan's nuclear arsenal falling into the hands of The Taliban or other extremists scares the crap out of me as I'm sure it does to India as well.

That depends if this is not a deliberate leak, and to be honest the information we have already been given and the way it has been presented seems to me like it is designed to force a few hands, which to be honest does not feel accidental.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by thoughtsfull

The problem with that is that it is forcing the wrong hands, people who can actually cause a lot of damage.

I don't think this has been deliberate, someones got near high security computers with a USB thumb drive and thought they were giving the people what they want.....or were trying to cause trouble......or there was a shed load of cash involved.

If anything, to me, it seems like the governments are trying to go through this quietly and hope it blows aways, there may be a lot of media coverage, but I can't help feel its being done in a hush hush way. This Pakistan leak, IMO is one of the more serious ones, lets see how long it takes to drop off the front covers.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   

I do understand what you mean, and part of me leans towards this being someone taking advantage of the style of security used in the US, but I have this nagging feeling the way the data has been presented that other hands are now playing with the data we are consuming to fit an agenda.. and that agenda seems to include forcing the wrong hands.

I hope it drops of the front covers soon and be replaced with some sensationalised junk, however I think the damage has already been done in the ME and the Koreas'.

edit on 30/11/10 by thoughtsfull because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by thoughtsfull

By the release of the more damming stuff, yeah I get what you are saying.

I just hope this blows over without a major conflict and WLeaks continue giving us the juicy gossip on what our governments get up to internally, not with affairs in other countries, or at least ones so dangerous. How do we define what is and what isn't though, and do we get a say in it anyway? no, not really, this is where the worlds press needs to show some decency, god I hope the Sun newspaper doesn't get hold of any of it, lol.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Pakistan was the country we should have invaded instead of Iraq. If you look at almost every major terror alert in recent years you can trace it back to Pakistan in one way or another. Until that basket-case of a country is sorted out there will never be peace in the world.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Do you all really need a leaked document to tell you the west is worried about Pakistani nukes?

Lines-Sorry

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pockets
Do you all really need a leaked document to tell you the west is worried about Pakistani nukes?

Lines-Sorry

I don't think anyone on ATS does, but I can't help but feel these cables are directed at those who have their heads in the sand or up their own bottoms.. these cables lay it all out bare for them to see.. hence why my gut feels a high degree of manipulation is going on here..

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Pockets

It's one thing fearing, but to have those fears confirmed is something else completly. I hadn't realised until reading that full second source how bad it actually was over there. At this rate i'll never get another good nights sleep again, lol. I've already had one dream about a nuke or a meteorite, not sure which one, but I actually felt my flesh burn, that was a weird one, i posted it in a thread on here somewhere a couple of years ago.

Seriously though, did you honestly know it was that bad? or suspect?
edit on 30/11/10 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Pakistan is a powder keg.
Corruption is rife and inherent within every aspect of it's society.
In addition religious, tribal and cultural differences and alliances run deep and are complex.

India will never allow Pakistan's nuclear arsenal to fall into the hands of the extremists.
And who knows what China makes of it all, they always keep their cards close to their chest and play the long game.

I'm all for openness and transparency, something our government most definately is not, but I genuinely fail to see what benefits there are to some of these 'leaks'.
I suspect the insight some other members have shown may not be too wide of the mark.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Seriously though, did you honestly know it was that bad? or suspect?

Yes, I have honestly known to worry about Pakistani nuclear weapons for a long time, and any nuclear weapons for that matter

Only takes a rebel group to over through the government and then the bombs are in hands of undesirables

new topics

top topics

join