It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
(visit the link for the full news article)
US and UK diplomats feared Pakistan's nuclear material could fall into the hands of terrorists, the latest leaked classified US diplomatic cables reveal.
The documents, released by Wikileaks, warn that Pakistan is rapidly building its nuclear stockpile despite the country's growing instability.
Meanwhile, the US State Department says it has "temporarily severed" one of its databases from a military network.
The move is part of efforts to stop another mass leak of diplomatic cables.
In one of the latest cables to be released by Wikileaks, senior UK Foreign Office official Mariot
The cables also revealed that:
• Small teams of US special forces have been operating secretly inside Pakistan's tribal areas, with the approval of the Pakistani government, while senior ministers have privately supported American drone attacks.
• The ambassador starkly informed Washington that "no amount of money" from the US would stop the Pakistani army backing Islamist militants and the Afghan Taliban insurgency.
• The US concluded that Pakistani troops were responsible for a spate of extrajudicial killings in the Swat Valley and tribal belt but decided not to comment publicly to allow the army to take action on its own.
• Diplomats in Islamabad were asked by the Pentagon to survey refugee camps on the Afghan border, possibly for air strike targeting information.
• The president, Asif Ali Zardari – whose wife, Benazir Bhutto was assassinated – has made extensive preparations in case he too is killed, and once told the US vice-president, Joe Biden, that he feared the military "might take me out".
Originally posted by Freeborn
reply to post by woogleuk
Of course we all want the truth, but not at the expense of National Security.
But National Security is an all too convenient cover for governments and Security Services to hide behind and lie, mislead, manipulate and control.
I don't think this will come as any great suprise.
The prospect of Pakistan's nuclear arsenal falling into the hands of The Taliban or other extremists scares the crap out of me as I'm sure it does to India as well.
Originally posted by Pockets
Do you all really need a leaked document to tell you the west is worried about Pakistani nukes?
Seriously though, did you honestly know it was that bad? or suspect?