It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senate Passes Bill To Boost Food Safety [S510]

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Senate passes bill to boost food safety

www.yahoo.com[/url ]

The $1.4 billion bill, which would also place stricter standards on imported foods, passed the Senate 73-25. Supporters say passage is critical after widespread outbreaks in peanuts, eggs and produce.

Those outbreaks have exposed a lack of resources and authority at the FDA as the embattled agency struggled to contain and trace the contaminated products. The agency rarely inspects many food facilities and farms, visiting some every decade or so and others not at all.

Thought I'd throw in another news site that has this cause i really don't like yahoo at all...And yes this is S510

[url=______beforeitsnews/story/283/571/Senate_Bill_S_510_PASSED_74_to_25,_The_Government_now_makes_you_a_criminal_for_growing_your_own_GARDEN_R_U _HAPPY_YET.html]www.beforeitsnews.com

I'm still not sure about this bill and what it means exactly for the rest of us but here it is...
I do hope it doesn't mean we can't have personal gardens..i had plans to start one up after the first of the year even though i have no idea how to garden i'm sick of eating the crap they try to shove down our throats....
edit on 30-11-2010 by tasim because: fixed link...If this has been posted already please Mods delete...or move to appropriate forum if in wrong one, thank you!

edit on 30-11-2010 by tasim because: added another source

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   
It appears to mostly be increased regulations for large scale farming. The provisions do not apply to small "local" farms according to the news I read.

What does it mean? It means a lot of paperwork, having employees sit down and watch food safety videos, more paperwork, occasional inspections, and probably yearly fees to support the bureaucracy of paperwork and inspections. That's how it works in countless other industries.

From all that I have read previously regarding the bill, there is nothing that stops you from growing a garden, though it would not shock me if some such bill eventually came through the pipe.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   

stricter standards on imported foods

Wasn't most of the food safety concerns related to corp farms in the united states???

I read some of the bill and I don't think (or I couldn't find) anything that said you can't have a garden in your backyard..I mean common sense tells us that there is no way they could control that..however for the non corp farms meaning smaller farms and organic farms this bill will affect them. They have to pay 5K or something for a license to distribute food to organic stores or other grocery stores. I may cause problems with food co-ops and small health and organic stores. I could be wrong..though.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by tasim

its so they can feed you exactly what they want to eat...
check out a thread on here called 'is this this a sign of population reduction'
there is alot of information about the food we eat..
edit on 30-11-2010 by Misterlondon because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   
They didn't add in the news article what the bill number is...so I honestly say i am not sure if this is the s510 that everyone is getting ticked about. From the comments section..which i try to avoid yahoo comments like the plague...they are talking like it is that bill they have been trying to pass to regulate all food grown in the US. Including smaller farms (possibly gardens?). I'm wondering if this part is what caused an uproar about it if this is in fact the S510 bill ( mind you i possibly have the number wrong there..i just woke up hehe)

Despite wide bipartisan support and unprecedented backing from many major food companies, the legislation stalled as it came under fire from advocates of buying locally produced food and operators of small farms, who said it would could bankrupt some small businesses. Senators eventually agreed to exempt some of those operations from costly food safety plans required of bigger companies, rankling food safety advocates and larger growers but gaining support from farm-state senators.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   
The title should read Senate Passes Bill to make Food a Weapon Against the People

second.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I prefer to just post what is there...I don't trust Yahoo or any other major news source but I also do not know exactly what this Bill entails and refuse to jump to conclusions until I do...that includes putting up a fear-mongering (sp) thread title....It is a good title though if what people claim is true

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Neopan100

stricter standards on imported foods

Wasn't most of the food safety concerns related to corp farms in the united states???

I read some of the bill and I don't think (or I couldn't find) anything that said you can't have a garden in your backyard..I mean common sense tells us that there is no way they could control that..however for the non corp farms meaning smaller farms and organic farms this bill will affect them. They have to pay 5K or something for a license to distribute food to organic stores or other grocery stores. I may cause problems with food co-ops and small health and organic stores. I could be wrong..though.

Well hopefully it won't be too much of a problem for them. $5000 would be rather severe for a license for a small organic farm. They aren't the ones who spread all the diseases after all, and I prefer local, small farm and organic foods.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by tasim
I prefer to just post what is there...I don't trust Yahoo or any other major news source but I also do not know exactly what this Bill entails and refuse to jump to conclusions until I do...that includes putting up a fear-mongering (sp) thread title....It is a good title though if what people claim is true

This is one of the worst bills in Congress right now:

This law would also give the U.S. government the power to arrest any backyard food producer as a felon (a “smuggler”) for merely growing lettuce and selling it at a local farmer’s market.

It also sells out U.S. sovereignty over our own food supply by ceding to the authority of both the World Trade Organization (WTO) and Codex Alimentarius.

It would criminalize seed saving (foodfreedom.wordpress.com...…), turning backyard gardeners who save heirloom seeds into common criminals. This is obviously designed to give corporations like Monsanto a monopoly over seeds.

link to full article

If you don't know about Monsanto and what they are doing with seeds you need to learn fast!

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   
It seems it did pass and thanks to senator Jon Tester ( D-MT ) It has been modified to keep the small farms and growers out of it.

The FDA Food Safety Modernization Act (S.510) passed a key hurdle in the Senate this morning and is on the verge of becoming law. The original legislation, since modified, would have effectively outlawed family gardens and negatively affected homesteaders from coast to coast. Thanks to Senator Jon Tester (D-MT), the bill has been revised to exempt small growers. It is absolutely essential that you contact BOTH of your senators TODAY and express support for the Tester amendment. If Tester is removed from the bill, the legislation that ultimately passes may limit your ability to garden and/or sell food you grow at a farm stand.

Here is a link. www.cabinonabluff.com...

I dont think it will stay this way though. I think it is time for americans to take a stand. Not just on this issue, But many others. We cannot allow these people to ruin our lives any further.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Is there any way to test produce at home for these illnesses? If there was..or someone invented a way to do it that is inexpensive...then there wouldn't be any need for government to come knocking on your door cause you have squash in your backyard.....that would be a site to see though...officer comes to your door, cuffs you while govt officials trample through your small garden with bio-hazard bags....Unfortunatly we may end up seeing that all too soon...Of course most will say "its for our safety stop complaining!"

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   
The amendment to the bill excludes small farms and individuals who sell less than $500,000 of produce locally.

Be thankful for small miracles!

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by tasim

Here is the bill if anyone cares to read it... Doesn't seem nearly as menacing if you actually do- most of it contains provisions on foreign imports- nothing on small farms or individual growers that I could find, but I won't say I really read it word for word.

www.opencongress.org...

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by tasim

As of today the bill is dead because the Senate added taxing provisions - which is unconstitutional (all laws that add taxes must originate in the Congress). Now grow some tomatoes.

new topics

top topics

join