It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mercy killer granted full parole.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Mercy killer granted full parole.

www.upi.com

The 56-year-old Saskatchewan farmer was sentenced to life in prison in 2001 for the carbon monoxide slaying of his daughter Tracy, 12, who suffered from cerebral palsy. His original sentence of only one year in jail was overturned by an appeals court.

Tracy Latimer was born a quadriplegic with brain damage and endured multiple operations and acute pain, the Globe and Mail reported Tuesday.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   
I can’t even imagine what I’d do if I was in this man’s shoes.
The hell he must have been living in watching his daughter suffer.
Then, to live with the hell for ending her life?
He is either very courageous and truly loved her - or - has pulled a fast one on us all.
I hope it isn’t the later, and, I hope he can find peace.

peace

www.upi.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Here's some background:

'Compassionate homicide:' The law and Robert Latimer

Latimer told police he did it. He said he loved his daughter and could not bear to watch her suffer from a severe form of cerebral palsy. So he placed her in the cab of his Chevy pickup, ran a hose from the exhaust to the cab, climbed into the box of the truck, sat on a tire and watched her die.

Tracy was a 40-pound quadriplegic, a 12-year-old who functioned at the level of a three-month-old. She had been repeatedly operated on and at the time of her murder was due for more surgery, this time to remove a thigh bone. She could not walk, talk or feed herself, though she responded to affection and occasionally smiled. Tracy was in constant, excruciating pain yet, for reasons not entirely clear, could not be treated with a painkiller stronger than Tylenol.
source

From what I've read and my first impression I think justice was done here - allowing this man to go free.

I guess only he will ever really know.

peace

edit on 30-11-2010 by silo13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

I truly believe that it was done out of love. That or a moment of complete insanity..

Whether right or wrong doesn't matter much now, but this man will live with this as long as he takes breath, and the pain that you see in his eyes even today just tugs at my heart.

I cannot imagine the life that his daughter lived, and I cannot imagine the pain that it took for him to end her life. Having said that, I feel that I am no where near qualified to pass judgment on the man.

A very sad story with a very sad ending.

I hope that I never have to deal with anything as heartbreaking as this...

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Why was he in a position where he had to take matters into his own hands in the first place. He should have been able to walk into any hospital and have her put down humanely. People will put down dogs more humanely than humans. It makes no sense.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Why was he in a position where he had to take matters into his own hands in the first place. He should have been able to walk into any hospital and have her put down humanely. People will put down dogs more humanely than humans. It makes no sense.

Exactly what I was in hopes we'd discuss in the thread.
And though I agree with you on some levels - the problem comes when we have to ask ourselves as people and a a community and a culture - Where do we draw the line on euthanasia?

Thanks
peace

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by silo13
He is either very courageous and truly loved her - or - has pulled a fast one on us all.
I hope it isn’t the later, and, I hope he can find peace.

The motive will determine the time he spent. If he did it out of love his time was a willing price and he did it standing on his head. If he was pulling a fast one he paid with years of his life and it wasn't pleasant.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   
I'm kinda torn here myself, I am against abortion and the death penalty, we have no right to take someone else's life, but this poor soul had no quality of life....
All I hope is that she is at peace and dad will find some peace of mind himself...

top topics

join