It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Travel With An Unloaded And Locked Gun In Your Trunk? = GO TO JAIL!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Man gets seven years (allow me to repeat that number) SEVEN YEARS for carrying an unloaded and locked pair of handguns in the trunk of his car that he legally owned.

Philly.com reports:

When Mount Laurel police arrived at the Aitkens’ home on Jan. 2, 2009, they called Brian – who was driving to Hoboken – and asked him to return to his parents’ home because they were worried. When he arrived, the cops checked his Honda Civic and, inside the trunk, in a box stuffed into a duffel bag with clothes, they found two handguns, both locked and unloaded as New Jersey law requires.

Aitken had passed an FBI background check to buy them in Colorado when he lived there, his father said, and had contacted New Jersey State Police and discussed the proper way to transport them.

“He bought them at Bass Pro Shops, for God’s sake, not some guy named Tony on the street corner,” his father said.

New Jersey and Colorado are on opposite ends of the gun-control spectrum. In Colorado, all he needed was the background check to own the guns.

In the Garden State, Aitken was required to have a purchaser’s permit from New Jersey to own the guns and a carry permit to have them in his car.

According to 2009 Florida statistics, the average cost of imprisoning a man for a year is around 20,000 dollars.

Clearly Brian represents a 140,000 dollar threat to society.

But the real cost to society is faaaaaaaar greater than the 140,000 dollars of direct imprisonment costs. Let us also not forget that Brian was a productive member of society. Society will no longer benefit from his talents while he is behind bars, nor will the State benefit from the tax revenue they stole from his paychecks.

Further we must consider the cost of the trials, the attorney fees, and other legal costs which at least amount to 50,000 on their own (probably more).

The real cost to society for imprisoning Brian for seven years is probably closer to a quarter million or more. If Brian was an extremely productive individual, the cost to society is probably well over half a million.

Of course, the only victim in this case is Brian.

This is what victimless crime gives us – massive waste and injustice.
edit on 30-11-2010 by mnemeth1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 10:31 AM
link   
If this is the extent of the story, this is a horrible injustice...

OP maybe you should focus your energy to make an NAACP type organization

which combats this type of thing???

Might be a great thing for society

edit on 30-11-2010 by Janky Red because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 10:31 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 10:34 AM
link   
This is why you check the laws VERY carefully on guns before you bring them state to state.
I agree this is horrific and screwed up as are pretty much all gun laws, BUT he should have checked the laws and probably just MAILED them to HIMSELF. (which you can legally do care of another person as long as you DO NOT LABEL th PACKAGE AS FIREARMS)

you want another screwed up gun conviction?

Washington Man gets 5 years FEDERAL prison sentence for illegal possession of an Automatic Weapon (aka full atutomatic one trigger pull = multiple rounds fired) without proper NFA permits and registration. Now the SICK part about this is the gun in question was an AR15 semi auto he owned that he was firing at a firing range one day that was in such poor repair that it went full auto ONCE! Incident was reported, gun seized, when the ATF guys got it back to the lab they COULD NOT REPLICATE THE AUTO FIRE phenomena and actually had to build a test rig to fire it because gun was in such bad shape that the technicians REFUSED to fire it by hand.

Even with all of this and them not being able to even get the gun to do it again... He was convicted and is now serving 5 years in federal prison.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by roguetechie
This is why you check the laws VERY carefully on guns before you bring them state to state.
I agree this is horrific and screwed up as are pretty much all gun laws, BUT he should have checked the laws and probably just MAILED them to HIMSELF. (which you can legally do care of another person as long as you DO NOT LABEL th PACKAGE AS FIREARMS)

you want another screwed up gun conviction?

Washington Man gets 5 years FEDERAL prison sentence for illegal possession of an Automatic Weapon (aka full atutomatic one trigger pull = multiple rounds fired) without proper NFA permits and registration. Now the SICK part about this is the gun in question was an AR15 semi auto he owned that he was firing at a firing range one day that was in such poor repair that it went full auto ONCE! Incident was reported, gun seized, when the ATF guys got it back to the lab they COULD NOT REPLICATE THE AUTO FIRE phenomena and actually had to build a test rig to fire it because gun was in such bad shape that the technicians REFUSED to fire it by hand.

Even with all of this and them not being able to even get the gun to do it again... He was convicted and is now serving 5 years in federal prison.

No

This is why the State is an evil institution of criminals.

Since Brian didn't hurt anyone or damage anyone else's property, Brian did nothing wrong.

The State did the wrong here.

It is not Brian's responsibility to comply with every petty tyrant regulation created by violent evil bureaucrats.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Prisons are big business at present. It does not surprise me this individual could be unjustly imprisoned. The laws are passed by each individual state. Who benefits? Of course the prison system. Also those who receive contributions to pass BS laws to lock up the everyday people. I bet those in charge of the prisons make big contributions to pass those laws.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Gee, no wonder so many people from up North are moving South... lower taxes, warmer weather, friendly folks, and you can carry a gun down here...

I remeber a fella from Longt Island moved to NC and bought a house across the road from me, out in the country. My buddy and me were out behind my house target shooting a few semi auto rifles. About 10 minutes later, the sheriff drives up...wonders whats going on? Nothing, just a little target practice.

Is this your house?...Yes. Are your guns legal?...Yes. Are you on your property?...Yes.

He looks right at my new neighbor and says there is nothing illegal happening here...told us to be careful and have a nice day... drove away.

My new neighbor from Long Island freaked out a few weeks later when hunting season opened...all these guys walking around and riding 4 wheelers in camo and with guns....

He sold the place and moved to the city....LOL.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 10:47 AM
link   
seems like the only laws he broke were clerical in nature...I think like 100$ fine type thing for not having the proper paperwork would be fair. 7 years is a miscarriage of justice in my opinion...based on what is presented and not knowing the facts anyhow.

As far as the suggestion to create some sort of NAACP type organization (lol) that protects people from unfair laws and injustice...such an organization already exists...its called the ACLU.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by AlreadyGone
Gee, no wonder so many people from up North are moving South... lower taxes, warmer weather, friendly folks, and you can carry a gun down here...

I remeber a fella from Longt Island moved to NC and bought a house across the road from me, out in the country. My buddy and me were out behind my house target shooting a few semi auto rifles. About 10 minutes later, the sheriff drives up...wonders whats going on? Nothing, just a little target practice.

Is this your house?...Yes. Are your guns legal?...Yes. Are you on your property?...Yes.

He looks right at my new neighbor and says there is nothing illegal happening here...told us to be careful and have a nice day... drove away.

My new neighbor from Long Island freaked out a few weeks later when hunting season opened...all these guys walking around and riding 4 wheelers in camo and with guns....

He sold the place and moved to the city....LOL.

hahahahahah

He should ask his wife to give him his balls back.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
seems like the only laws he broke were clerical in nature...I think like 100$ fine type thing for not having the proper paperwork would be fair. 7 years is a miscarriage of justice in my opinion...based on what is presented and not knowing the facts anyhow.

As far as the suggestion to create some sort of NAACP type organization (lol) that protects people from unfair laws and injustice...such an organization already exists...its called the ACLU.

The ACLU refuses to accept 2nd amendment cases.

They don't believe people have a right to defend themselves.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   
What is really wrong with this situation isn't that he was arrested for complying with the laws. The laws are constitutionally illegal no matter how you look at it. Laws are an infringement on our right to bear arms. I understand these statements make me sound like a nutjob gun-nut but the truth is that the Constitution was put in place with specific wording so crap like this story never should have been under scrutiny. Gun LAWS shouldn't exist.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 10:53 AM
link   
If you call the local authorities or the ATF they don't even know what the laws are and cannot find them for you. The enforcement of the laws, and also the interpritation of them are all up to the arresting officer. In this case I suspect the cops wanted to put this guy away for some other reason and used the guns as an excuse.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by mnemeth1

Originally posted by SaturnFX

The ACLU refuses to accept 2nd amendment cases.

They don't believe people have a right to defend themselves.

Some chapters are starting to open up for 2nd amendment cases...most when they are also involving property rights.
If you think the ACLU should be doing more for 2nd amendment cases, then I would suggest becoming part...its better to join and change than to stand back and condemn.

Ultimately though, gun owners rights are certainly not some unprotected outcast group getting their rights ignored and stomped on...some of the largest organizations in America are breathlessly protecting gun owners rights overall...which is probably why this article made news...because its not the ordinary but rather a clear extraordinary miscarriage of justice for what boils down to wonky paperwork.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Awake now, Americans, before it's too late.....

The right to bear arms, which was meant as a defence against future tyranny. granted by thousands of ancestors who died to uphold the sacred constitution, is gradually being eroded away with subtle and presumed ' political correctness' laws and played up fears to manipulate the masses......

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

I've never heard of the ACLU taking a gun case. The ACLU's own website says they do not believe in an individual right to own firearms. I believe you are mistaken.

You are also mistaken that gun owners are not some unprotected outcast group; this case clearly demonstrates otherwise.

The State always seeks to maintain a disarmed populace.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   
It sounds like the only "illegal" thing he was busted for was large capacity magazines and hollow point bullets.

The article doesn't say anything about the handguns being illegal.

That's the way the law works folks. If you try to take a gun that is legal in Oregon (semi-auto handgun with 17 round magazine) to California where it is illegal (semi-auto hanguns are only allowed to have 10 round magazine), guess what's going to happen if you get caught? Jail.

The laws in New Jersey obviously suck, but it's the law. You need to know the state gun laws if you plan on taking your weapon with you.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by harrytuttle
It sounds like the only "illegal" thing he was busted for was large capacity magazines and hollow point bullets.

The article doesn't say anything about the handguns being illegal.

That's the way the law works folks. If you try to take a gun that is legal in Oregon (semi-auto handgun with 17 round magazine) to California where it is illegal (semi-auto hanguns are only allowed to have 10 round magazine), guess what's going to happen if you get caught? Jail.

The laws in New Jersey obviously suck, but it's the law. You need to know the state gun laws if you plan on taking your weapon with you.

The way the law works is as follows:

Petty tyrants create volumes upon volumes of regulations and rules for the little people.

The little people screw up by forgetting or not fully complying with the volumes of regulations created by the tyrants.

The tyrants then imprison the little people and turn them into slaves for not obeying the pointless rules they created.

There are only two laws required to have a peaceful and just society:

You may not harm others.

You may not damage or steal other people's property.

That is the extent of the rules needed in a society.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Hopefully the NRA will step in and help this guy out, the countdown to tyranny or stupidity just got closer

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by all answers exist
Hopefully the NRA will step in and help this guy out, the countdown to tyranny or stupidity just got closer

It sounds like there is nothing to left to do in this case.

Brian will be imprisoned.

Society will be deprived of his talents.

And the State will claim it kept us all safe from a terrorist.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I place blame squarely on the fathers shoulders for calling the police in the first place. Now he has to deal with an imprisoned son and the hard feelings that go along with it. he should have handled the situation himself. People should realize that no matter what they might say to the contrary, the police are not there to help you.

Respectfully

Reluctantpawn

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join