It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comcast is blocking Netflix

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Comcast is blocking Netflix

www.bloomberg.com

Comcast Corp. has begun imposing a fee on Internet middleman Level 3 Communications Inc., one of the companies that Netflix Inc. has hired to deliver movies and TV shows to Web customers.

Comcast, the largest U.S. cable TV company, has set up an Internet “toll booth,” charging Level 3 whenever customers request content, the Broomfield, Colorado-based company said in a statement today.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
act.boldprogressives.org
news.cnet.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Comcast Down - Whole Eastern Seaboard

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 09:05 AM
link   
This is the first step toward actual net-neutrality. If they are able to block out Netflix then who knows what is up next. There is a petition that needs to be signed and if you don't like that one then feel free to speak up. Write to Comcast and voice your feelings. This cannot be allowed to happen!

www.bloomberg.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by DocDoyle

Netflix is their competition. I don't think it's an agenda other than keeping their customers away from them. They can do that if they'd like, watch how fast people drop them.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I don't need no stinking petition. If comcast goes through with this decision I will let my wallet do my talking for me. I'll jump ship immediately. I already know I can save money. I was just waiting for an excuse. I now have it.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Wow this is why I'm kind of glad that we do not have comcast in our house - it's kind of horrible that some companies will pretty much outright prevent you from looking into another company while on their network or what not. Though I guess from a business stand-point it is probably a good thing to do, though from my own It just doesn't seem right.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Comcats is SUCH rubbish I would NEVER use comcast you will get a warning from comcast for farting the wrong way on that system... Now they want to pick and choose and ban a very well known place for movie downloads that are LEGAL??? What takes up to much of their precious bandwith?? Thats crazy... Boycott comcast or keeping letting them shove you around like your their little doggy!!!! A COMCAST SLAVE... Comcast internet blacklists as it is now... Free yourself from that oppressive ISP...
edit on 30-11-2010 by thecinic because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Wow. If this goes through I will definitely be dropping my Comcast. For Christmas I am getting a Roku, as is both my two sisters. We all love the idea and library of Netflix instant watch. This seriously sucks.

Rather then try and compete with Netflix in an innovative manner they would rather raise their prices and provide harsher restrictions to streaming services.

top topics

join